FN 5.7 magazine release failure

PDA

kim breed
November 12, 2012, 08:24 AM
I'm out doing a great hunt and head back to the truck so I can recover a big doe. take off my coveralls, go to remove my 5.7 and notice that the magazine is no longer there..***...:banghead::cuss:
The magazine release is in the top of my boot and no mag to be found. I just covered a mile walking across fields and woods.
As luck would have it , the mag was found where I crossed the fence. Thank you GOD.
Has anyone else had this problem?????

If you enjoyed reading about "FN 5.7 magazine release failure" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
barnbwt
November 12, 2012, 08:40 AM
If the mag cagch/button fell out, it's because the tip of the top bullet in the stack wasn't quite seated, and snagged the spring which keeps the button under tension. It's a silver U shape that looks just like a paperclip at the front of the magwell. Whether you have it or lost it, call FNH to get the new spring design that is impervious to this failure. It should be free. My first trip to the range this happened. They should really do a recall, because it is the most common (only) malfunction I've heard of in these guns.

TCB

Orion8472
November 12, 2012, 09:54 AM
^ That. Be sure the rounds are tapped to the back of the magazine. I've not experienced this myself, but have heard of it happening.

usp9
November 12, 2012, 12:40 PM
You carry your pistol in your boot?:confused:

chris in va
November 12, 2012, 02:34 PM
No, just the mag release was in his boot. It fell out of his gun.

usp9
November 12, 2012, 06:11 PM
Ahhhhh... :scrutiny:

In that case, kim breed, your luck is amazing. What lottery numbers would you pick tonight?

barnbwt
November 12, 2012, 08:21 PM
Be sure the rounds are tapped to the back of the magazine.

The replacement spring is designed so it can't snag, so this is no longer an issue. Known problem + design fix = recall in my book; that is the only thing I hold against FNH--their service has been nothing but stellar otherwise on this issue. I wish I'd taken a comparison shot; a ~10$-looking machined leaf spring to replace a bent paperclip :p

The only reason to tap your mags now is for feeding reliability:) (as if these things ever have feeding issues :rolleyes::D)

TCB

OP: Were you hunting with the Five-seveN?

kim breed
November 14, 2012, 08:26 AM
Yep, its a warranty item. But its backordered. it should of been a recall. the only problem with the pistol so far.

mr.trooper
November 15, 2012, 06:34 PM
Was this the newer USG variant, or one of the older ones?

kim breed
November 15, 2012, 09:47 PM
I believe an older one.

Orion8472
November 16, 2012, 12:08 PM
I was able to get mine to perform this. Took the slide off, allowed the top round to NOT be all the way back, and yes, it will catch the mag release spring. But the round has to be pretty far forward. Just be sure your ammo is tapped back and you'll not have any issues.

If you enjoyed reading about "FN 5.7 magazine release failure" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!