460 S&W Magnum

PDA

Saskquatchewan
November 12, 2012, 07:17 PM
Looking for mid range load data for the 460 S&W around the 1000 to 1500 FPS range.

If you enjoyed reading about "460 S&W Magnum" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ngnrd
November 12, 2012, 10:38 PM
Might help if we knew what bullet you wanted to use. A 200g bullet will run a lot faster than a 325g bullet.

buck460XVR
November 14, 2012, 07:38 AM
Might help if we knew what bullet you wanted to use.

..........yep.

Saskquatchewan
November 14, 2012, 08:22 PM
Let me rephrase my question; Looking for "ANY" mid range load data for the 460 mag. The only published data is for screaming hot rodded rounds in the 2000 fps range. "ANY" size bullet will be considered.

JLDickmon
November 14, 2012, 08:26 PM
Well heck..
are you looking for this?
http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/recipedetail.aspx?gtypeid=1&weight=250&shellid=38&bulletid=70

kludge
November 14, 2012, 09:41 PM
http://www.accuratepowder.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/accurate_load_data_3.5.pdf

Page 8

Strongbad
November 14, 2012, 09:50 PM
One word... Trailboss. You'll need to switch to cast bullets, but otherwise you'll be all set.

Lost Sheep
November 14, 2012, 11:49 PM
Let me rephrase my question for those of you who only read what they want to see; looking for "ANY" mid range load data for the 460 mag. The only published data is for screaming hot rodded rounds in the 2000 fps range. "ANY" size bullet will be considered.
Most people do have a bullet in mind when looking for specific velocities. If you would be offended by an advisor's request for bullet specifications, I would suggest anticipating the question in your original post by stating that a range of bullet weights and types is in your mind.

You are, after all, requesting assistance. It does not do to bite the hand that feeds.

Enough preaching.

Strongbad's suggestion of TrailBoss is a good one. It is very forgiving and was developed as a Black Powder substitute 5-6 years ago. Originally, it was suggested ONLY for cast lead slugs in straight-walled cases, but lately has been found to be OK for bottleneckd cartridges and plated or even jacketed bullets. But with jacketed bullets, be VERY careful about sticking a bullet in the barrel.

Typical loading, if you don't have load data, is to fill the case to the base of where the bullet will be seated. Then dump the case into a scale and weigh the powder. Take 70% of that weight. That is your starting weight. The maximum (DO NOT EXCEED) weight is 100%. NEVER compress Trail Boss.

Do you have a Chronograph? I recommend it at this stage in your reloading life. I infer from your question that you are in a position to make use of a Chronograph's information earlier than most of us were. Your other posts tell me that about you.

Trail Boss is not the most cost-effective propellant to use, and may not get you into the 1500 fps range, though. I use Unique for mid-range loads, but any fast pistol powder and most shotgun powders will get you into your range pretty well. But with such a large-capacity case as the 460 S&W, you should make sure the powder is close to the primer at the time of ignition.

When designing loads for .44 Magnum to deliver 44 Special velocities or 45 Colt to 454 Casull, I usually take the powder charge recommendation from the Smaller cases, increase the charge by the same percentage as the volume increase between the cases and go from there.

The slow-burning powders like H-110 that you are accustomed to using do not respond well (or safely) to downloading (as you obviously know) and I avoid my ad hoc adjustments like my life depended on it.

I also use my chronograph and avoid any loads that show appreciable velocity variations, shot to shot, for any reason. I rule out (and disassemble) any loads that start out below 700 fps. During load development, I check my barrel for obstructions after every shot.

Sorry I don't have a link or source for data downloading the .460 S&W. Most people would just shoot 45 Colt if they want lower power levels, but the people who develop the data just don't seem to realize that there are people out here who prefer to keep just one size of brass (Like me. I shoot a LOT of 38 and 44 Special-powered loads, but keep NO 38 or 44 Special brass at all. All my brass is Magnum. The logistics is simpler.)

Good luck. Thanks for asking our advice.

Lost Sheep

buck460XVR
November 15, 2012, 09:25 AM
Let me rephrase my question for those of you who only read what they want to see; looking for "ANY" mid range load data for the 460 mag. The only published data is for screaming hot rodded rounds in the 2000 fps range. "ANY" size bullet will be considered.

Most people do have a bullet in mind when looking for specific velocities. If you would be offended by an advisor's request for bullet specifications, I would suggest anticipating the question in your original post by stating that a range of bullet weights and types is in your mind.

You are, after all, requesting assistance. It does not do to bite the hand that feeds.

Well put Lost Sheep.

Saskquatchewan, with the myriad of .45 caliber bullets out there, asking if there is a specific bullet weight is not "only reading what we want to see", but an aid to focus on the goal that you are trying to achieve. Lead, plated, and jacketed bullets of weights between 200 and 400grs is a lot of territory to cover needlessly if one has a particular goal in mind. Coming to an internet forum and asking broad generic questions will give you similar answers if any at all. For us to ask a few informative questions helps not only us but you also.

That said, there are many legitimate sources for reduced loads for the .460 in many online sites and bound reloading manuals. I assume you have already pursued that avenue and are looking for suggestions as where to start. My experience is that Trailboss as Strongbad suggested may be your best option. According to Hodgdon(via e-mail question) the recipe is safe to use with jacketed bullets in the .460. For safety sake, I never went below 90% and found 95% to be my most accurate and consistent loading. I also used reduced loads as shown in the Speer manual, using IMR4227 and 2400. Problem is, these reduced loads printed so much different than the legitimate .460 loads I use for hunting, that I have pretty much given up on them. While one can use almost any .45 caliber jacketed bullet in the .460 when using reduced recoil loads, when one is loading for legitimate .460 velocities and pressures, one must make sure to use a jacketed bullet designed for those velocities. The thin walled bullets designed for .45 Colt will not stand up to these pressures and can lead to excessive forcing cone and top strap erosion and bullet separation. The Hornady .45 XTP-MAGs (not the standard .45 XTPs) and Speers .45 "Deep Curls" are good examples. I've found for jacketed bullets, Speer's .45 260 and 300 gr JHPs good for reduced loads along with Hornady's 250 and 300gr standard XTPs.

Saskquatchewan
November 17, 2012, 06:29 PM
Alright guys,

I want to apologize to EVERYONE for my arrogance in my original posts which members here did NOT deserve to read. I consider it in very high regard the intellectual articulate information this forum THR has to offer. Especially (Lost Sheep & Buck460XVR). My choice of words came from the every mounting frustrations we handgun owners have faced here in Canada, not to mention the billions of tax dollars spent on our government's embarrassing long gun registry, which failed thank God.

Owning any firearm in this country is a very challenging endevour. Too many restrictions to mention, however not enough to cover the fact that it makes law abiding citizens feel like and treated like criminals.

I am an accomplished 20+ year reloader of many different calibers, rifle and pistol to feed my collection of several firearms. Countless hours have been devoted to research and development not to mention aquiring reload equipment.

My original post stems from searching locally within my province of Alberta (250,000 plus square miles) for reloading supplies and data. I've ordered bulk components in from out of country overseas as well. Due to my location, understanding that my choice for powder vs bullet is not as great as most people. My newest piece (S&W 460V) is proving to be difficult in finding data and or supplies to match for the MID range potential this round has to offer. Probably because it is still a fairly new round on the market and the nature of the beast is for handgun hunting only and not just shooting paper like us red blooded Canadian boys/girls are accustomed to.

Enough ranting.

Currently for my 460 I'm using Hodgdon H110 - 46gr and Hornady 240 XTP MAG bullets. It gives me a barn burner velocity around 2000 fps. I've always been fully aware of the dangers the particular powder will result from reduced loads and the fragmentation lesser quality bullets can produce... Thank you Lostsheep and Buck460XVR for reviewing that for me. Hopefully a new reloader will soak up your information.

My future plans are to use up a 1000 lot of Frontier 300gr CMJ bullets which I imported from South Africa for my .45 colt revolvers and rifles. I'm not one to use the colt rounds in the 460 due to the same reasons Lost Sheep has already mentioned earlier.

This is what brings me to developing a 460 MID range round (less than 1500 fps) possibly using the lower velocity Frontier bullets. After all its just paper we're allowed to shoot up here with handguns...maybe I should move south?

Thank you for the information everyone has shared, and once again... 'ANY' mid range load data would be apprieciated concerning a S&W 460.

Lost Sheep
November 17, 2012, 09:59 PM
Apology accepted. Very gracious of you.

I understand your frustration. I read about people having to get Firearms Owners Identification Cards and have background checks and provide personal references and list their firearms for their local police and I shudder. And that's just Illinois, California and such places. I can only imagine the barriers you face in Canada.

You could move north, too. Alaska is a firearms-friendly state.

I am going to assume that gunpowder selection is your more limiting factor, will suggest you list as many (of the faster) powders as you have available and perhaps we can find load recipes (or give you links to them) you will find useful for a range of bullet weights. If you have a limited selection of primers, that would help, too.

Lost Sheep

CGT80
November 24, 2012, 02:48 AM
A5744 is a great powder for mid range loads. It will leave unburned grains of powder behind.

Trail boss will get my 270 saa hp cast lead bullet to 963 fps at 11.0 grains of powder.
33.0 grains of 5744 will get the cast 270 to 1301fps.
36.0 grains of 5744 and cast 270 will give 1412 fps.
27.0 grains of 5744 and cast 270 will give 1026 fps. Trail boss is a better powder for this slow of a load and is also less expensive.

45.0 grains of h-110/win 296 and a Hornady 240 XTP MAG gives me 1917 fps in my gun.

I have not tried any other powders in the 460. 5744 will go almost as fast as h-110 but can go very slow too. I have used 240 grain jacketed bullets with 5744 as well. The powder amount and velocity are similar to the 270 lead loads above. I also run 45lc brass and various bullets in my 460 xvr. I use red dot, win 231, and trail boss for 45lc. I have had no problems running the short brass. Cleaning the cylinder can be a bit of a pain though. I have also used trail boss with jacketed and lead bullets with great success. 30-06 and trail boss with a 150 jacketed bullet it quite fun.

I am sticking with Trail boss, a5744, and win 296.

P.S. I have heard of people using H-335 or IMR-4895 in 500 S&W and it is recommended by a well regarded shooter, but I haven't read any reviews from people who have tried it. I have a bunch of those powders, but I haven't been willing to risk my well being to try it out in the 460.

hubcap
November 25, 2012, 07:51 PM
I didn't think handguns were legal to own in Canada. Did the laws change recently? I've dreamed of bear hunting in Canada, but wanted to use a handgun.

Grumulkin
November 25, 2012, 08:11 PM
I didn't think handguns were legal to own in Canada. Did the laws change recently? I've dreamed of bear hunting in Canada, but wanted to use a handgun.
They're legal to own with restrictions but not legal to hunt with.

If you enjoyed reading about "460 S&W Magnum" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!