Thoughts on the Ruger American Rifle?

PDA

TheCracker
November 12, 2012, 09:12 PM
Was curious what anyone that has one of these thinks about it? Seems like a good rifle for the money with some great features.

I'm really interested in accuracy and if anyone has had any issues.

I'm seriously considering a 308 since I already reload for my rem 5r and have components to brew some hunting rounds. The 5r is a bit to heavy to be lugging and banging around with all my hunting gear and a climbing tree stand on my back.

If you enjoyed reading about "Thoughts on the Ruger American Rifle?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
DPris
November 13, 2012, 12:32 AM
Had a .30-06 version here, quite accurate.
Smooth, light for carrying all day, reliable.
Denis

creeper1956
November 13, 2012, 01:14 AM
In the course of fitting a scope on my neighbors new 308 American a few months ago, I decided to take it apart and have a look at the "features". The action and bedding system... solid design, the adjustable trigger... not as good as the Savage but OK at the price point, surprisingly smooth bolt... quite a lot of gun for a typical store price of around $350 and less.
No... it ain't no Sako, it isn't even a Tikka... but even at $450 it would still be a pretty good deal. By the way... when I took the action out of the stock, the front screw was way too tight and there was a bit of loose plasticy stuff in the stock recesses. Take your gun apart, clean it, lube it and torque the screws properly.

Anyway... With a IOR Valdada 4-14X56 (yes... the scope is worth 3x more than the gun :p) it shot four 5 shot groups with Federal P308C (165 gr Sierra BTSP Gameking) averaging 1.120". Pretty damn good for a hunting bullet... shot from a rifle rested in a wadded up backpack, in the rain. With match ammo, proper rests and good benchrest technique... who knows?

I can be a real rifle snob... but I gotta tell ya', the "cheap" guns being made today by Savage, Ruger, Thompson/Center, Kowa & even Marlin can be pretty dog gone accurate with the right scope and ammo. 10, even 5 years ago... that wasn't true.

C

TexasPatriot.308
November 13, 2012, 01:24 AM
I have only seen and handled one, a whole lot like a Tikka T3.

sayak
November 13, 2012, 01:37 AM
I have the .308 and am very happy with it. It is superior to the Savage Axis in many ways and handles very well. The trigger pull is superb. The bolt cycles well. The muzzle has very nice crowning for a rifle of this price category.

My only complaints are:
- the barrel is very whippy and heats up easily, which may lead to looser groupings unless you allow it to cool down;
- the magazine doesn't like to feed some varieties of hollow point hand loads even though they are correct COAL.

I bought this rifle because I wanted an all-weather rifle I could beat up. Instead I find myself babying it like I do my wood stocked rifles jus because I like it so much. I mounted a Burris Fullfield II on it and believe it to be a great combination.

ShooterGuy
November 13, 2012, 01:49 AM
+1 for the .308, love it, and the price just makes it that much sexier. I run a buckmaster 3-9x40 on mine and it does quite well, would easily recommend.

Kachok
November 13, 2012, 03:38 AM
Range reports have been less then stellar, good just not outstanding in my book. I guess it is a decent quality for the price, but I already have a few cheap "knock around" guns. If I did need another truck gun the Ruger would be in contention, I do think it is better then the 770 for sure.
Maybe I am just getting picky, but moa accuracy does not thrill me anymore, now a facotry rifle that will print 1/10th moa (or better) groups that gets my attention, thus far I have only been able to do that with Savage and Tikka. Not that you would ever need that level of accuracy in the woods, but I like my range bragging rights :D Best group out of my stock T3 was 1/12th MOA using hunting bullets.

fdashes
November 13, 2012, 03:54 AM
Have the 30-06 and had mine at the range today for the first time. It has a buckmaster 3-9-40 scope mounted and it is a great match up. Only had time for a few rounds but after zeroing scope I shot three 3 shots groups. I am a deer hunter and not a target shooter but I all three groups within a 1.5 inch grouping. Super rifle for the money, very good rifle for 2x the money. Only problem I see with it so far is that it is not in 257 Roberts yet.

Double Vision
November 13, 2012, 07:00 AM
Last week I picked up an American in .308 and look forward to taking it out to play.

For $400, it's hard to beat.

Kachok
November 13, 2012, 08:37 AM
Last week I picked up an American in .308 and look forward to taking it out to play.

For $400, it's hard to beat.
My only hangup is that for $386 I can get a scoped Savage 110 w/Accutrigger combo, (I own two of them) and yes like all Savages they shoot.

rbernie
November 13, 2012, 08:49 AM
Unlike the Savage, the stock on and recoil pad on the American is acceptable enough for field use.

Kachok
November 13, 2012, 09:34 AM
^ Heck my package Savage 110 has the best recoil pad of ANY of my rifles! (or at leased as good as my new Model 70) The stock on the Ruger felt just as flexy to me, in fact the one I held was touching the barrel the whole way down, poor salesman did not know what to say.
Here is a little secret though, even flexo-matic stocks can still shoot cloverleafs :) And Yes I can touch holes with my groups all day on a $384 Savage, just use RL-19 and 150gr Accutips the results are amazing. Not saying the Ruger is not capable of the same thing with well developed handloads, but it is not the only game in town for radical value. I do however think the Ruger weights in about half a pound lighter in the real world.
Edit: Not all Savage 110s come with a good recoil pad, I have seen a 243 and 308 that had a hard chunk of rubber, but both my 270 and 30-06 have a fantastic one.

goalie
November 13, 2012, 11:07 AM
Maybe I am just getting picky, but moa accuracy does not thrill me anymore, now a facotry rifle that will print 1/10th moa (or better) groups that gets my attention, thus far I have only been able to do that with Savage and Tikka. Not that you would ever need that level of accuracy in the woods, but I like my range bragging rights Best group out of my stock T3 was 1/12th MOA using hunting bullets.

1/12 of MOA eh?

Gotta love the internet. I think the operative work in your post is "bragging," and I don't mean that in a good way.....

Kyle M.
November 13, 2012, 11:20 AM
1/12 of MOA eh?

Gotta love the internet. I think the operative work in your post is "bragging," and I don't mean that in a good way.....

I'm sorry but I can't see any rifle shooting 1/12 MOA. Thats .083" center to center a .17 caliber bullet is over twice that size at .172" in diameter. How do you shoot a group smaller than the bullet your using? They would literally have to go into the exact same hole.

Kyle M.
November 13, 2012, 12:07 PM
My lgs has sold several of them at least one .30-06 and one .308, I have heard that they are quite accurate and perfectly acceptable for what there intended for. Not sure what your finding them for but they go for $319.99 at my lgs.

Kachok
November 13, 2012, 12:16 PM
I'm sorry but I can't see any rifle shooting 1/12 MOA. Thats .083" center to center a .17 caliber bullet is over twice that size at .172" in diameter. How do you shoot a group smaller than the bullet your using? They would literally have to go into the exact same hole.
Try a Tikka sometime :D
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=663791&highlight=awsome+6.5x55
.082" center to center, and I have four witnesses to that, shot on a windy day too.
Not the fastest load in my range bag, but you could not ask for a better grouping

firesky101
November 13, 2012, 01:49 PM
Without comparing it to the other decent value offerings. I will say that you will get no complaints from me about my choice to buy the Ruger American.

DPris
November 13, 2012, 02:17 PM
Actually, reports I've seen have almost entirely been positive on its accuracy.
The one I had here shot into an inch or less at 100 yards with a Redfield scope and more than one load.
I've seen others getting down to half-inch groups.

The gun is cheap, no question, but it does perform.
Denis

November 13, 2012, 02:31 PM
Just got home and put my calipers on it, .346" outside diameter at the widest point, subtract the .264 caliber and the bullets all hit within .082" of each other making that just slightly better then a 1/12th MOA load

Does a .264" diameter bullet make a .264" diameter hole?

Kachok
November 13, 2012, 02:56 PM
Does a .264" diameter bullet make a .264" diameter hole?
Yes, well ever so slightly larger anyway, and you subtract the diamiter of the bullet to get the center to center impact points with one hole groups. Love that Tikka, wish they made them with a nicer hardwood stock, that is across the board the most accurate rifle I have ever shot, and I have shot ALOT. Wish I could find another Stainless Steel model for $408 but thier prices have gone way up.
Once I see Ruger owners debating over the exact size of their one hole groups I will be in line to get one of those too :)

sayak
November 13, 2012, 03:45 PM
I admire people who shoot like that.
Between farts, burps, general breathing and just being old, I'm happy with a three inch group at 150 yds. The animal is generally unhappy.

TheCracker
November 13, 2012, 09:45 PM
Thanks for the input. I think I'm gonna get one. Local Walmart is the only place that has one in stock. It's $352.

I'm confident ill be able to get at least 1" groups with some handholds.

As far as all this 1/12 MOA goes show me a 10 shot group and do it more than once out of 100 tries and you will be doing something. If it did happen it sounds like a fluke. Like the time my mini 14 shot a 5 round 1" group at 100 yards. I was tickled but it has NEVER happened again. It's normally 3" or more! Just because it did it once doesn't meant its a 1" gun.

splattergun
November 13, 2012, 10:12 PM
Just bought a Ruger American in .243 a few weeks ago. I put a cheap old Tasco scope that was sitting in a drawer on it and my 1st group after sighting in was 1 1/4" at 100 yds with cheap Federal 100 gr. factory ammo.

I have no doubt that a better scope and some careful handloads will cut that group size considerably.

I don't care for the magazine, but it sure shoots well enough.

Kachok
November 13, 2012, 10:54 PM
Thanks for the input. I think I'm gonna get one. Local Walmart is the only place that has one in stock. It's $352.

I'm confident ill be able to get at least 1" groups with some handholds.

As far as all this 1/12 MOA goes show me a 10 shot group and do it more than once out of 100 tries and you will be doing something. If it did happen it sounds like a fluke. Like the time my mini 14 shot a 5 round 1" group at 100 yards. I was tickled but it has NEVER happened again. It's normally 3" or more! Just because it did it once doesn't meant its a 1" gun.
Oh every time I brought that load out it shoots remarkably well. If you are ever out this way you are more then welcome to try it yourself, I live right next door to Styx River shooting center, but just remember my baby is not for sale, not at any price. Granted that 1/12th inch group was the best I have shot with it thus far, but I have pulled 4 straight one hole groups which is more then a "fluke" I have the utmost confidence in my Tikka when I am in the woods, as long as I do my part I am eating backstrap.
Granted in no portion of reality do you NEED that much accuracy for real world hunting, but dang is it fun :) I am sure the Ruger is more then accurate enough to push the limits of even the best hunters under field conditions, lets face it how many of us can shoot sub moa in the freezing cold, turned halfway around in a treestand heart racing staring down a trophy buck? Not me that is for sure, but at leased I keep it in the vitals.

goalie
November 14, 2012, 12:59 AM
I've got a thousand bucks that says you can't shoot five ten-shot groups under 1/2 MOA in a row at any distance over one hundred yards.

And it doesn't even have to be windy.

BTW, when did you leg out?

Kachok
November 14, 2012, 01:56 AM
I've got a thousand bucks that says you can't shoot five ten-shot groups under 1/2 MOA in a row at any distance over one hundred yards.

And it doesn't even have to be windy.

BTW, when did you leg out?
Five ten shot groups......heck I am good but I am not good for 50 perfect shots in a row even if it did have a bull barrel LOL, anyway I am not worried about you skepticism, feel free to bring any featherweight rifle you like to shoot against it, you won't win. I won't take you for a grand, but I will hit you up for lunch :D
I left the Army Feb 2nd 2001. Medical discharge (honorable) Served two years. Was supposed to go to the 7th Group Special Forces because of my shooting scores/PT/ and language skills but shatterd my leg in Airborne school :(

fdashes
November 14, 2012, 02:42 AM
will double the thousand bucks, lol

Ky Larry
November 14, 2012, 08:00 AM
It's good to see that the keyboards are shooting great, probably better than the rifles.:neener:

Is this a great time to be a shooter, or what? The rifles and ammo we have today are miles ahead of what was available just a few years ago. I have a Marlin XS7 in .243 and a Marlin X7VH in .22-250 and, with hand loads, they'll both shoot under .5" at 100 yrds. I've been thinking about a Ruger or another Marlin in .308.

Kachok
November 14, 2012, 02:12 PM
It's good to see that the keyboards are shooting great, probably better than the rifles.:neener:
Na, my keyboard is sloppy, think I might try Varget or RL-19 to try and tighten it up, that works on most of my rifles LOL.
For those who doubt that it is possable to get a factory rifle to group under 1/2" I would invite you to go shooting with me, I usualy go on Thursdays at Styx River. The really scarry part is what I do with my handloads is nothing compared to some of the guys I know, I reload at my kitchen table with a single stage el-chepo Lee kit, I know guys that have 10k+ in high end loading equipment that make me look sloppy. One guy I know has his own gunsmithing/handloading workshop with every tool you could imagine (and then some) Folks like that can REALLY tweek a rifle's accuracy. I can only dream of toys like that :)

rhinoh
November 14, 2012, 07:16 PM
I'm delighted with my .308 American. Shoots groups half the size of my much heavier 700 Varmint. Wasn't expecting that. I haven't measured them but 3 holes touching at 100 yards is the norm for the Ruger...

TheCracker
November 14, 2012, 09:56 PM
I'm delighted with my .308 American. Shoots groups half the size of my much heavier 700 Varmint. Wasn't expecting that. I haven't measured them but 3 holes touching at 100 yards is the norm for the Ruger...

Thanks! This is exactly what I'm looking for. Not all the claims of 1/12 MOA on a windy day that has semi-hijacked thread

kludge
November 14, 2012, 10:37 PM
Picked one up. Felt like a tinker toy. Put it back on the rack. Picked up a 77/.357 Now that's a nice feel!!!

scotch827
November 15, 2012, 12:48 AM
I have the American in a .243 and love it. I have shot it out to 500 yards with much better accuracy than I expected. I am using 36 grs. of Varget with a 85 Sierra HPBT. 40 grs. of IMR 4350 with the same bullet is working great also. The rifle is light, has a short bolt throw and a nice safety that clicks when you push it on but silent when you push it off. I don't have to worry if it gets scratched up while hunting and it is more than deer hunting accurate.

hentown
November 15, 2012, 11:44 AM
Range reports have been less then stellar, good just not outstanding in my book. I guess it is a decent quality for the price, but I already have a few cheap "knock around" guns. If I did need another truck gun the Ruger would be in contention, I do think it is better then the 770 for sure.
Maybe I am just getting picky, but moa accuracy does not thrill me anymore, now a facotry rifle that will print 1/10th moa (or better) groups that gets my attention, thus far I have only been able to do that with Savage and Tikka. Not that you would ever need that level of accuracy in the woods, but I like my range bragging rights Best group out of my stock T3 was 1/12th MOA using hunting bullets.

Not that I think that you're prevaricating, but where are you located? If you're willing to wager a coupla thousand $$, I just might travel to see you shoot 1/12th m.o.a., 5-shot groups, measured center-to-center of the outside shots, @ 100 yds. Let me put it differently. I don't believe you. :evil: If you're shooting in the 1s, then you're setting world records for hunting-class rifles.

sayak
November 15, 2012, 02:26 PM
Picked one up. Felt like a tinker toy. Put it back on the rack. Picked up a 77/.357 Now that's a nice feel!!!
Love carrying my "tinker toy" up and down hills. A real pleasure as I am geting older. I should probably shape up and slim down, but since that seems to be harder to do, my rifles are getting slimmer.

Kachok
November 15, 2012, 04:48 PM
Not that I think that you're prevaricating, but where are you located? If you're willing to wager a coupla thousand $$, I just might travel to see you shoot 1/12th m.o.a., 5-shot groups, measured center-to-center of the outside shots, @ 100 yds. Let me put it differently. I don't believe you. :evil: If you're shooting in the 1s, then you're setting world records for hunting-class rifles.
Robertsdale AL. Why does everyone think getting a one hole group is so absolutely unbelievable? I have seen that plenty of times before, from my rifles and others. You spend enough time at the range with good equipment and decent shooting skill and you are sure to pull off a few of those. Anyway I don't have a spare grand laying around to bet you, but as I have said plenty of times before you are welcome to come and see for yourself, heck I'll let you shoot it. Bring your best shooting rifle and I'll wager you lunch I can group tighter.

goalie
November 15, 2012, 08:54 PM
Robertsdale AL. Why does everyone think getting a one hole group is so absolutely unbelievable? I have seen that plenty of times before, from my rifles and others. You spend enough time at the range with good equipment and decent shooting skill and you are sure to pull off a few of those. Anyway I don't have a spare grand laying around to bet you, but as I have said plenty of times before you are welcome to come and see for yourself, heck I'll let you shoot it. Bring your best shooting rifle and I'll wager you lunch I can group tighter.

You realize that you are talking smack of epic proportions, right? You are talking world-record benchrest type accuracy out of a stock hunting rifle.

Just to be clear, you won't accept a bet about shooting almost 5-times bigger groups than you are bragging about, but we're supposed to take you and your claims seriously?

Again, shooting like that, and having been in the Army, when did you leg out? I assume it only took 3 matches to do so, right??????

**crickets**

November 15, 2012, 09:48 PM
Kachok, I measured your group from the other thread using OnTarget. The dime has a diameter of 705". You stated ....

Just got home and put my calipers on it, .346" outside diameter at the widest point, subtract the .264 caliber and the bullets all hit within .082" of each other making that just slightly better then a 1/12th MOA load

In the vast majority of groups that I've shot, the hole in the paper or the "grease" mark is never as large as the bullet diameter. If you look at the .264" circles on your target, it's obvious that the holes are not even close to .264" in diameter.

The group as shot is still a very good group ... no need to make it seem better than it is.

Kachok
November 16, 2012, 03:09 AM
You realize that you are talking smack of epic proportions, right? You are talking world-record benchrest type accuracy out of a stock hunting rifle.

Just to be clear, you won't accept a bet about shooting almost 5-times bigger groups than you are bragging about, but we're supposed to take you and your claims seriously?

Again, shooting like that, and having been in the Army, when did you leg out? I assume it only took 3 matches to do so, right??????

**crickets**
OK first of all I never once claimed to be able to shoot that tight day in day out consistently, not once in any of my posts, as I said that is my best 100yd group to date, if I could do that every time I would be shooting pro. Why are you trying to make this out to be something different?
As far as the group size I just measured the outside edges of the hole, I don't get into any formula concerning the elastic deformation of the paper, if it really was slightly larger I apologize for the honest mistake.
My point still stands though, once I see a bunch of Ruger American owners nit picking the exact size of their one hole groups you will see me chomping at the bit to get one, been itching for a 243 for some time now and I really like that they use a 1:9 twist (as God intended). Don't NEED a 243, but that is the first cartrage I ever deer hunted with, and I always was kind of fond of it, good for vermin too.

Kachok
November 16, 2012, 03:22 AM
Kachok, I measured your group from the other thread using OnTarget. The dime has a diameter of 705". You stated ....

In the vast majority of groups that I've shot, the hole in the paper or the "grease" mark is never as large as the bullet diameter. If you look at the .264" circles on your target, it's obvious that the holes are not even close to .264" in diameter.

The group as shot is still a very good group ... no need to make it seem better than it is.
Looking at your diagram of my group again I noticed that the circles representing the bullet holes are not evenly spaced from the outer edge of their respective holes, how did you calculate this? The top circle is right on the edge while the bottom one is way off of it, in fact that circle overlaps the black paint so it seems that there is no way that bullet struck that low. Circle on the left also overlaps some black paint, I would think that it would not stay untouched being struck by a bullet at those speeds.

goalie
November 16, 2012, 11:17 AM
Why are you trying to make this out to be something different?

Because I have shot groups like that out of my Mossberg ATR-100 .270 before at 100 yards.

It is a 1-1.25" rifle. Great for hunting deer, and I've never had to shoot one twice with it. I don't care about the finish, and it cost about half of what the scope on top of it did......BUT.....shooting an odd group or two of tiny proportions doesn't mean a damn thing. If I average out the hundreds of groups I have shot with it, it is still a solid MOA or a tad bigger gun.

My deer-hunting stainless Tikka T3 lite in .308 has also shot some seriously small groups at 100. But, in the end, averaged out, it is still a 3/4 MOA shooter at 100. Pretty damn good for the price, especially in such a light rifle, but not anywhere near being capable of ALWAYS shooting sub 1/2MOA groups.

People pay a lot of money for 1/2MOA rifles. They sell their souls for 1/12MOA ones.......

hdbiker
November 16, 2012, 12:03 PM
my T-3 Light .243 will shoot an inch or better if I do my part.biker

TheCracker
November 21, 2012, 11:56 PM
I just had to have one so I bought it in 308 yesterday.

Went to the range this morning and tested some loads that my rem 5r likes and it shot 180 grain Sierra Game kings with varget very well. Taking time to let the barrel cool between shots it shot one .75", 3 shot group @100 yards and 2 different 3- shot groups that were just under a inch so ill call that a 1" group and go hunting!

It shot some 165 grain rem core lokt @1.5 inch just as I expected out o a cheap bullet.

After deer season i will defiantly work up some loads and see how much accuracy I can squeeze out of this little gun. I defiantly plan to try some 150.

Anyhow, thanks to all that replied!

Kachok
November 22, 2012, 12:38 AM
Cool, 1 MOA accuracy is all dang near anyone needs for hunting. If you want to load up something that shoots a bit tighter in 308 try a 150gr Speer BTSP over a mild charge of Varget, I had my best test group with 44.5gr set at 2.800 on the dot. The picture won't upload but you could completely cover my test group with a quarter at 100yd shot out of my new Winchester 70 Featherweight (my second favorite rifle :) )

Abel
November 22, 2012, 08:52 AM
Its funny hearing people boo-hoo over hunting rifles that will only shoot 1" MOA. Oh, the shame. Poor poor wittle Johnny's wittle wifle will only shoot a 1.25" group all da way out at a hundred yards.

TheCracker
November 22, 2012, 11:27 PM
Its funny hearing people boo-hoo over hunting rifles that will only shoot 1" MOA. Oh, the shame. Poor poor wittle Johnny's wittle wifle will only shoot a 1.25" group all da way out at a hundred yards.

I don't see anyone boo-hooing over anything. I'm quite pleased with 1" groups I'm getting on such a thin barreled light weight gun.

Troll much?

idcurrie
November 23, 2012, 01:08 PM
People who are happy with the accuracy of their 'American Rifle' should try shooting as a Rifleman.

Shoot from various field positions. Use the sling to steady your shot. The pressure from the sling will 100% flex the for end of the stock into the barrel and change your POI.

There are many superior options available for someone who intends not to hunt from a bench rest.

If you enjoyed reading about "Thoughts on the Ruger American Rifle?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!