shield 40 or xds

PDA

Kahr33556
November 12, 2012, 09:33 PM
Looking for a new carry gun.
s & w shield 40 or xds 45.
I vant decied.anyone own both?

If you enjoyed reading about "shield 40 or xds" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
thefish
November 12, 2012, 10:04 PM
I guess it depends on when you want it. Shields are in super backorder mode right now. I've been waiting on one in 9mm for 5 months. I've seen them go on armslist for $600. If you can find one at a LGS, snap it up, if you don't like it, sell it for a profit (or not).

Personally, I like the shield.

Here's a pretty good comparison.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/general-firearm-discussion/143741-xds-45-vs-m-p-shield-9mm-comparision-photos.html

Sorry, don't have either so that's all the advice I can give.

340PD
November 13, 2012, 09:35 AM
I own a 9mm Shield and just shot the XDs 45. Both guns shot exceptionally well for me. I went 9mm for the Shield as I really never got into the 40 cal. mode. 9mm is much lower cost and ten times more available when things are in short supply. The .45 also seems to have a much lower felt recoil than the 40 cal. Shoot them both first, and if you can live with the lower round count of the XDs, your decision will be made.

460Kodiak
November 13, 2012, 12:36 PM
I just bought an XDS. Carries real nice IWB. Haven't got to shoot it yet. I like .45 acp, so I went with the Springer. I imagine the Shield is a fine pistol as well. It sounds like the XDS is slightly smaller, and the gun fit in my hand nicely. Caliber is what it comes down to if comfort is the same for each for you. I also like the aggressive checkering on the XDS. I imagine it will be more easily controlable for me.

breakingcontact
November 13, 2012, 01:10 PM
Whatever you'd be more comfortable carrying.

I prefer the M&P but like the XDS as well.

Haven't carried the XDS, it looks/feels "blockier" but may carry alright.

okc-zee
November 13, 2012, 04:31 PM
I own a 9mm shield and an XDS...IMO,they're both awesome guns and both carry great for me...They have both been flawless for me...Just depends on what flavor you like...I alternate carry both,but lately the XDS a little more since I like the bigger caliber..Again though,you can't go wrong with either...

rottenit
November 13, 2012, 04:46 PM
I have the Shield in 9mm and a XDS. Like them both. The XDS is a bit hard on the hand after about 30-40 rounds. The grip seems to dig-in to me. I think they are both good guns. I perfer the ergonomics on the Shield and the XDS is the only .45 I own so I am probally going to get rid of the XDS.

ryno31
November 13, 2012, 04:59 PM
+1 on the xds. Mine has been flawless and conceals amazingly well. I also love the fact that its a .45, it everything I could ask for as far as a carry pistol goes. It is true that after about 50 rds it begins to beat up your hand but its not meant to be a range gun it's meant to be a gun you use to protect yourself and those you love. I haven't shot a shield yet but it felt great in my hand and I have no reason to believe that it isn't a great firearm as well. The xds also feels good in the hand but it is a small gun shooting a large bullet so if you want a gun that conceals well and is good for a 100-150 round day at the range the shield is probably a good choice but if you want the extra punch of a .45 and not minding keeping you range trips a little shorter than the xds is probably the way to go. For a .45 it is extremely manageable but after about 50 rds I l

Teachu2
November 13, 2012, 05:24 PM
I just bought an XDS. Carries real nice IWB. Haven't got to shoot it yet. I like .45 acp, so I went with the Springer. I imagine the Shield is a fine pistol as well. It sounds like the XDS is slightly smaller, and the gun fit in my hand nicely. Caliber is what it comes down to if comfort is the same for each for you. I also like the aggressive checkering on the XDS. I imagine it will be more easily controlable for me.
I hope your imagination turns out better than my reality did.

chrt396
November 13, 2012, 06:17 PM
Round count is great if you plan on getting into a battle where multiple rounds are needed. My take..is if you are proficient with your side arm..and actually practice with it...shot placement will be second nature. I own a XDs and have held and played around with a Shield.
1st..the caliber. It's a 45 acp. Nuff said!

2nd The grip on the XDs is very aggressive, which I would want in a self defense situation. Going to the range and firing off 75-100 rounds ain't going to hurt you. You may build up a slight callous on your hands..but the felt recoil is actually tame for a polymer gun of it's size, caliber and weight. Heck..I have a Ruger LCR that'll rip you up shooting 38 loads. The XDs is a cake walk comparatively speaking.

3rd - The accuracy of the XDs is eye opening! With the fiber optic front sight, target aquisition is 2nd nature. AT 33 ft...a 1 1/2" group is not all that bad with a shorty pistol.

4th - If I were to get a 9mm...I would get the M&P compact. Great ergonomics. With a little trigger work...it is a great little shooter. (actually...I did a little too much on mine and rendered it useless for carry...blow on it and it wants to go)

5th - The XDs's are available with an extension magazine that gives you 7 +1 in the chamber. How many shots do you need!

breakingcontact
November 13, 2012, 06:37 PM
Saying "Nuff Said" usually makes me stop reading the rest of a post but I'm glad I persevered.

Take the caliber out of the decision. No magic bullets.

Agree that the M&P compact is also a good carry gun.

I'd say a 1.5" group at that distance is very good for a carry gun.

Its all about what a guy can and will carry comfortably and practice with.

Training over gear. I'm not a 45 guy or an XD guy but I really liked the one I handled and the 5 shot mag wouldn't stop me from getting it.

Plan2Live
November 13, 2012, 07:19 PM
Or, wait a couple more months and see if you might like the XDs in 40 caliber when it is released. I found the 40 to be a lot snappier than I originally expected. It took a while to get used to but now I am as accurate with it as my 9mm. Different manufacturers for my 9 and 40 but similar in size and weight so there shouldn't be any advantage due to the actual platform.

wally
November 14, 2012, 09:50 AM
While .45ACP is my favorite, for self-defense I choose .40S&W when the barrel gets below 4" as I worry not enough velocity for adequate penetration with .45 out of the short barrel.

The way I see it, .40S&W has about 100 fps more velocity than .45ACP out of equivalent barrel lengths and the sectional density of 180gr .40 is the same as 230gr .45 so penetration will be better, and out of the marginal zone.

Three most important things for handgun effectiveness are: bullet placement, placement, and penetration.

Just One Shot
November 14, 2012, 03:12 PM
I had the XDS but I sold it for a loss. Great gun for the money but because of the size and shape of my hands the slide would rub the base knuckle of my thumb causing me to bleed. I purchased the Shield 9mm off the same guy I sold the XDS to and I haven't had that problem or any other problem with it. In short I would recomend you try and find someone who will let you shoot thiers before laying down your cash for either gun.

PabloJ
November 14, 2012, 03:37 PM
Looking for a new carry gun.
s & w shield 40 or xds 45.
I vant decied.anyone own both?
I do not care for either one, but if one goes single stack might as well get the 11.26mm.

jakeraney87
November 14, 2012, 04:05 PM
So not to rain on the moment here but... the shield and the xds are great and all but really the xds springfield shaved stuff down and there you go and s&w just shortened there stuff and tadaa here you go. What is funny though is the shield looks way to mush like the tarus 24/7 and i dont like tarus everything up to placement of slide lock is close just saying. If you buy a new an improved hey good for you but the original always worked

TarDevil
November 14, 2012, 04:45 PM
So not to rain on the moment here but... the shield and the xds are great and all but really the xds springfield shaved stuff down and there you go and s&w just shortened there stuff and tadaa here you go. What is funny though is the shield looks way to mush like the tarus 24/7 and i dont like tarus but..... everything up to placement of slide lock is close just saying. If you buy a new an improved hey good for you but the original always worked
Huh?:confused:

bodam
November 14, 2012, 05:33 PM
Buddy got this e-mail from a vendor yesterday about the Shield:

"We are still unable to get the Shield's in right now. All of the distributors I've talked to have said that the Shield's have been dropping their magazines when being fired and that their current supply is off the market. I don't know if that's the case of if they are just that backordered now. I did find on a google search that there is some truth to that."

Anyone else hear anything of this?

Droid noob
November 14, 2012, 08:40 PM
i have heard numerous reports on the .40 Shield dropping mags. None on the 9mm so far though. I've ran a couple hundred rounds through mine with no problems.

FMF Doc
November 14, 2012, 08:42 PM
Own both--NO
Shot both--YES.

It is a draw. If you want .40 get the Shield
If you want .45 get the XDS.

I wanted the 9mm, so the Shield was my choice, in 9mm obviously.

Dean1818
November 14, 2012, 09:08 PM
I looked at both and decided on the Shield 40

I love the new pistol

PabloJ
November 15, 2012, 01:10 AM
What he means is XDs is anorexic XDm 3.8" Compact while the Shield is anorexic version of M&P Sc.

XD 45acp
November 15, 2012, 11:18 AM
I have the XDs, happy to say, carries great, light, flat, I can't ask for much more. Round count, over 1200 rnds without 1 failure of any sort.:D

460Kodiak
November 15, 2012, 12:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeraney87
So not to rain on the moment here but... the shield and the xds are great and all but really the xds springfield shaved stuff down and there you go and s&w just shortened there stuff and tadaa here you go. What is funny though is the shield looks way to mush like the tarus 24/7 and i dont like tarus . everything up to placement of slide lock is close just saying. If you buy a new an improved hey good for you but the original always worked

Huh?

LOL!!! That's what I was thinking. I got the meaning, but jakeraney87, punctuation is very helpful.

Kahr33556
November 15, 2012, 06:50 PM
I found the XDs but can't find any shields to get my hands on.I started leanning toward the 40 but can't get one.

DAdams
November 15, 2012, 10:36 PM
Curious as to how you are carrying these two.
IWB
OWB
Pocket

The reason I ask?
Look at the width difference between the XDm .45 and S&W 9/40c.
What is gained? What is lost?

gym
November 22, 2012, 10:27 PM
I own both I tend to carry the shield because of the extra round in the smaller mag, also a tad thinner, but both are great. I got the 40 as with short barrelled guns I want every advantage.I traded an MP for the xds and a benelli nova, didn't look back, fancy is not useful anymore for me, I like a durable weapon that I am not afraid to scratch.
The Glock 26 is my only 9 because of the accuracy trigger and weight, all elase is 40 or 45

CZ57
November 22, 2012, 10:37 PM
I'd rather have the Shield in 9mm. My shooting partner has one and it's a great shooter. If you feel you need at least .40 Caliber then I would go with the slightly larger XDs since I prefer the "push" of the .45 compared to the snappier .40 S&W. ;)

dbp
November 22, 2012, 11:24 PM
+1 on Huh???

Dean1818
November 23, 2012, 12:38 AM
I carry IWB in a remora

gym
November 25, 2012, 11:20 PM
Honestlly the 5 round mag on the xds is great for carrying but not what you really want for a combat situation. It's like having a revolver, the 7 round is fine but you then have almost a full sixe gun, so the shield in 40 gives me 8 rounds and it's still hideable. If there was a 6 round mag for the xds, it would be a better carry option. so I just carry both, teh xds with the 6 round as a backup to teh shield with 8., It's amazing how 2 rounds just make it too long in the mag area. Maybe the 9 mm is a good choice, but too many people have been walking away from shootings where they were shot with a 9.
I makes me think I need an an edge, the 165 grain hornaday is defunatelly a harder hitting bullett than a 9mm.
I fully agree with the comfort of a 45 vs a 40, I had sworn off them like 6 times in 4 decades.

breakingcontact
November 26, 2012, 05:06 PM
fancy is not useful anymore for me

I like this.

DAdams
November 27, 2012, 01:27 PM
It's a 45 acp. Nuff said!

:banghead::banghead::banghead:

CPshooter
November 28, 2012, 08:46 PM
I've held the XDs a few times and every time I am disappointed by the grip texture. More specifically, there is a sharp line that runs along the left thumb scallop that really doesn't feel good against the inside of my thumb. I can already see it being painful when shooting it. The shape and feel of the grip is great in terms of how it fits my hand, but the texture overall turns me off. It's too bad too, because I like the XD series of pistols. I hope they tone down the grip texture a bit for the 9mm version when it is released. Probably wishful thinking though.

breakingcontact
November 28, 2012, 09:10 PM
You could tone it down w a dremmel or some sand paper.

If you enjoyed reading about "shield 40 or xds" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!