How did you celebrate Veteran's Day?

PDA

Ehtereon11B
November 13, 2012, 01:11 AM
I got to take one of my military brothers to the range to shoot some toys he never even gets to see. He lives in NJ and came down for my wedding but got to spend some range time.

And finally got to shoot my custom XD .45 that I ordered almost 3 years ago but didn't have or get to shoot due to various legal and production issues. Night sights, adjusted trigger, and engraved slide. Recoil feels more like a 9mm than a .45. Will have to get more ammo for it and make it my new daily carry weapon. Very impressed with it.

If you enjoyed reading about "How did you celebrate Veteran's Day?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
mljdeckard
November 13, 2012, 01:35 AM
Denny's. Applebees. Texas Roadhouse.

postalnut25
November 13, 2012, 06:10 AM
Nothing fun. I went to work, and I wished all my fellow vets a Happy Veteran's Day, and the I worked the rest of my graveyard shift.

Hunterdad
November 13, 2012, 06:19 AM
Went to one of the clubs I'm a member at and sighted in my slug gun, T/C Contender 14" 30-30, Remington LT-20 slug gun and Marlin 336. After I finished up I called my brother in law and met him and his son at the other range I'm a member at and shot the 22's and my 1911. It was a good day to say the least.

Reloadron
November 13, 2012, 06:19 AM
Stayed home with the flu. :)

Ron

MedWheeler
November 13, 2012, 06:23 AM
Stuart Air Show, Stuart, Florida.

smallbore
November 13, 2012, 06:25 AM
Took advantage of the nice weather and spent most of the day outside. I do that as mush as possible, 'cause someday I won't be able to and don't ever want to kick myself for not having spent more time outdoors. Walked the woods accross the road from us. The evening was nice 'n' mild, so we (misses/me) had pie & coffee by the campfire.

xsquidgator
November 13, 2012, 06:30 AM
only .gov 'workers' get Veterans Day off. I worked as I have the last 15 Veteran's Days. USN 1987-1995

CountGlockulla
November 13, 2012, 06:35 AM
I took advantage of the opportunity those vets gave me and spent another day working my tail off to build a better life for me and mine.

jobu07
November 13, 2012, 07:06 AM
Did a little shooting and then gave the keynote address at a Veterans Day ceremony.

We're talking Veterans Day and not the day government employees observe it right?

ole farmerbuck
November 13, 2012, 07:09 AM
Used the backhoe to dig out hydrants that we dont need anymore. Not enough water.

bikerdoc
November 13, 2012, 07:26 AM
Same as the last 43 yrs. Went about my business unnoticed and not thanked.

Popped a couple mags of 45 and said welcome home to myself.

beatledog7
November 13, 2012, 07:51 AM
Contemplated life, raked leaves, ordered some dies and bushings, ran 4.5 miles, ordered a set of grips, chatted with my brother then my daughter, loaded some 9mm, tracked items I've listed on eBay, ordered some bullets, contemplated life...

I reflected mostly on how fortunate I was to have had the opportunity to serve for 27 years without ever having to shoot anyone or blow anyone up. And I spent some time praying for the men and women currently serving and wondering how they will be treated by our government as they transition to civilian life. And I explored the job market in a couple of states where I have not yet lived.

303tom
November 13, 2012, 07:59 AM
Being a Veteran, I went to Golden Corral & had a free meal, then we went to my wives stepfathers visitation so we could say good bye to another old Vet who passed Sunday.

whtsmoke
November 13, 2012, 08:04 AM
Hate to be sarcastic but I worked both days so the government could have the day off with pay, not that alot of them are veterans.

longknife12
November 13, 2012, 10:04 AM
Did a early morning visit to Ft Logan and spent rest of day in memoriesw.
Dan

donkee
November 13, 2012, 10:12 AM
only .gov 'workers' get Veterans Day off. I worked as I have the last 15 Veteran's Days. USN 1987-1995

I work in document imaging and 99% is bank work. I got the day off since it is a bank holiday. I celebrated the day by joining a new gun club.

aarondhgraham
November 13, 2012, 10:37 AM
Aaaaaab-So-Lutely Nothing!

I sat around the house all day,,,
Drank some cold Sea Dog Apricot Ale (http://seadogbrewing.com/pdf/SeaDogBeerMenu.pdf),,,
Watched an entire season of a television show on DVD.

Aarond

IdahoSkies
November 13, 2012, 10:42 AM
Since Sunday was Veteran's day/Armistice Day, I went to church, and ruminated on some fond memories of my grandfather, as well as my brother who was just recently commissioned.

Arkansas Paul
November 13, 2012, 10:49 AM
Spent sunday in the woods. I'm not a vet but my dad is and he was with us. Good times. He got a deer on Veteran's day too, so that was cool.

Skribs
November 13, 2012, 10:57 AM
I finished MH:Legion and played video games. I didn't do anything veterany but I did get to discuss with a Canadian the difference in meaning on this day between our two countries.

jimmyraythomason
November 13, 2012, 10:59 AM
Thanked as many veterans as I could. Went to church,thanked the veterans there and thanked GOD for the veterans. Came home,logged on and thanked more veterans. Went back to church that evening and,
,again,thanked GOD for our veterans,past and present.

MrDig
November 13, 2012, 11:44 AM
Guys part of me hates to admit it, but the reality of my situation is this, Right now I'm living in a homeless shelter for Veterans (non profit without Government Funding). I had to put all my Guns in Storage and am hoping to get back on my feet soon.
So last night a local Church group came and made us a Spaghetti dinner and played cards and music. I had fellowship with the community and fellow Vets and it was one of the best ways to honor Veterans Day for me in a long time.
I'm going to take a moment to thank all of you for honoring those who have served and are serving. I want to thank those of you who have served or may be serving currently.
Most of all I want to thank Eagles Healing Nest http://www.eagleshealingnest.com/default.html and the Sauk Centre Minnesota area for their support and gracious hospitality. I am humbled and overwhelmed by the welcome we have received.

brnmw
November 13, 2012, 12:01 PM
Doing a bunch of yard work for my Grandfather who is a USMC Korean War Vet. (I swear that man even at his age can still wear me out barking orders! :D )

Hope everyone had a happy "Veterans Day!" :)

Saakee
November 13, 2012, 12:05 PM
I went to the dentist's and found out it's going to cost me about three times what I have budgeted for all my work.

MJD
November 13, 2012, 12:55 PM
That's a damn shame, bikerdoc.

Welcome home.

Thank you for your service.

dfsixstring
November 13, 2012, 01:02 PM
I worked - nobody said a word. That's the way it has been for the past 25 years since I've been out.

No sour grapes, just the way it is.

Dfsixstring
SR9c
LCP
RST4S

Tim the student
November 13, 2012, 01:38 PM
I spent it with some of my brothers in arms.

We went to Ft. Sam and laid a wreath at a building that is named for one of us that did not come back.

Nushif
November 13, 2012, 01:45 PM
Local Vodka, Local Gin and a wife who beat me from being a Veteran to serving again. 8)

ole farmerbuck
November 13, 2012, 01:52 PM

Then I'll say it. Thank you and welcome home. And yes, I mean it.:)

2zulu1
November 13, 2012, 02:14 PM

Welcome home doc. :)

Went to church, bought some groceries while in town, worked the dog for a short time and watched the crazy NASCAR race. Too cold and windy to go to the range.

Reflected on the events of 40+ years ago.

Brown water navy, Mekong Delta.

Warp
November 13, 2012, 02:15 PM
I went to an Appleseed.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g105/austin3161324/Firearms/20121110_115837_zpse85a2098.jpg

Sapper771
November 13, 2012, 02:20 PM
I worked 12 hours :( then went home and reloaded some ammo :)

I got thanked once. I thanked about 5 or 6 vets that I know. I usually go out of my way to thank the Vets I see , thats the way I was raised.

Just One Shot
November 13, 2012, 02:33 PM
MrDig, sorry to hear of your situation, prayer sent to the Father on your behalf.

Like some others I spent the morning in the Lords House. The Pastor (retired Air Force) had all us vets stand up to be recognized and ask the congregation to give us a hand for our service (not needed but a nice touch anyways). Stayed behind after service and fellowshipped with my brothers and sisters at our monthly carry in dinner.

Went home and watched my Bengal team finally win a game as they dismantled the Super Bowl champion Giants, daughter brought the 2 1/2 yo twins over for the wife and I to watch while her and her husband continue moving into their new house. Ate some Taco Bell with the twins, they left and the wife and I did our nightly devotion, prayed together then watched a little tv before hitting the sack.

All in all it was a great day!

papaairbear
November 13, 2012, 02:45 PM
Sunday being Veteran's Day, my son and daughter-in-law took me to breakfast, then I spent the rest of the day routinely with the exception of time spent in thoughtful prayer and thanksgiving for what we have in this great country, for surviving my service, for those who did not survive theirs, for all of us who share the freedoms and rights paid for by the those who served and are serving.

Bikerdoc....welcome home bro! I got your 6, man!

Kristensdaddy
November 13, 2012, 03:31 PM
Had my pastor, his son and his 3 grandsons over to shoot on my range. Burned two bricks of 22. a couple boxes of 45acp, some 44 mag and some 357sig. Ate hotdogs and thanked God that we (at the moment) still live in a country free to do such things - all thanks to our veterans.

remembered Dad (US Army Aircorp - WWII) and Father in Law (US Navy, WWII ).

Erik M
November 13, 2012, 03:38 PM
I spent some time in silence at my grandfathers grave. I brought the shadow box with his burial flag, medals/insignia, and fired shell casings from his 21 gun salute with me. I also contacted my friends who are still serving, some deployed and left them messages.

zdc1775
November 13, 2012, 03:39 PM
Being a Marine I have the Marine Corps Birthday and Veterans Day back to back. To me I personally celebrate the Birthday more so than Veterans Day. That being said I spent the Corps 237th talking to several of my good friends from the military and by having a ceremonial toast as has became our yearly tradition. Veterans Day I called my Grandfather, Uncle, and Great-uncle who were all Veterans and thanked them for their service. I then finished painting the dining room of my new house and then sat around and did nothing but drink beer and watch war movies.

ZGunner
November 13, 2012, 04:02 PM
Took the fiance out to lunch at Texas Roadhouse and while she was at work I helped my father inlaw fix the golf cart and strip some cane. It was a good day.

FROGO207
November 13, 2012, 06:30 PM
I was on call and had to work both days. I spent some of my time remembering my grandfather (WWI Army Vet) and how much I miss him, also my uncle (Korean war Navy).:( Tried to call my other uncles that are Vets and they were off doing something.:cool:

My turn to say THANK YOU to all the Vets, especially here on THR and that your sacrifices have been much appreciated.

Saakee
November 13, 2012, 07:16 PM
Oh, and like every year (since i was sixteen), I read the Bixby letter.

hayes1966
November 13, 2012, 07:40 PM
I cleaned 3 Ruger MkII's and 2 MKIII's. The latter I had to swear at to get them back together. I talked to my kids about the day and what it means. Took them and my father-in-law (vet) out to breakfast.

Steve CT
November 13, 2012, 08:41 PM
Went to work, a day pretty much like any other, EXCEPT

My son called, his cutter just got back to Miami after an extended patrol operating out of Puerto Rico and USVI.

I thought a lot about Dad, Uncle Bob, cousin Edward John, all gone now.

Said a Prayer of Thanks that my friend Ron made it home a few months ago from Afghanistan.

Realized how different my life would be without all they do.

A day pretty much like any other.

Steel Horse Rider
November 13, 2012, 09:27 PM
I stood in the snow for two hours watching the Veteran's Day parade and program here. I still cannot stop my eyes from tearing up when they play the national anthem at these events.

Hardtarget
November 13, 2012, 09:31 PM
Went to church. Then my son and I did five hours of yard work. Took a shower and a nap then loaded some .357 to test next range trip.

Was never in the service...deferred in '68...medical. So, may I say thank you to all service men here on THR.

Mark

DammitBoy
November 13, 2012, 09:32 PM
I sold, traded, and bartered firearms all day at a gun show.

We had a prayer service for our troops before the doors opened to the public. Then we pledged allegiance to the flag.

I thanked veterans for their service when I saw them, pretty much the same as every day.

ktmmudd
November 13, 2012, 09:40 PM
Took my youngest son who served two tours as a Marine in Iraq shooting at a local range.

Apachedriver
November 13, 2012, 09:48 PM
I'm getting close to retirement so I called my son who is in the USAF. I let him know how proud and appreciative I am of his decision to carry on the standard.

Tinpig
November 13, 2012, 09:57 PM
Drove down to NJ to see my 97 year-old mother who still doesn't have the power back on her street. She was pretty cheerful, considering. But her generation lived through the Depression and WWII without feeling sorry for themselves so they're not going to come apart because of a hurricane.

She's not a veteran, but for all of WWII she raised my sister and me by herself while my Dad was at sea. Those on the Home Front deserve a lot of thanks, too.

On the drive through the wastelands of NJ I went by two former haunts, Fort Dix and Fort Monmouth, and spent some time thinking about former days and the people I shared them with.
Last year I went to my Battalion Reunion for the first time...amazing how the other guys have all grown old since 1968.;)

Tinpig

MutinousDoug
November 13, 2012, 10:10 PM
I got up and made coffee and bacon and eggs for my wife and me.
Then I exchanged emails with some veterans of my acquaintance.
Then I answered an email from the grand niece of a P-40 pilot that lead the 75 RAAF Squadron fighter cover for my dad's USAAF 3rd Bomb Group A-24 dive bombers against Lae, Salamoa and Buna in New Guinea in April and May of 1942.
I apologized to her again that my dad had no more to say about his experiences than her grandfather had said to her grandmother: "I almost made you a widow twice". Her grand uncle and his P-40 did not survive Milne Bay in August '42. My dad, on the other hand, retired from the USAF after 33 years and passed in 2009 at the age of 96.
It was a good day to reflect.
Garryowen

Rexster
November 13, 2012, 10:44 PM
Well, starting at midnight, I was two hours into my very, very busy work shift. Thanks to plenty of stupid people, my shift ran over. (I work night shift police patrol in a big city.) I thanked a couple of vets of my acquaintance at the station, before going home to try to get some sleep. Sleep was interrupted twice, so I did not manage to get an all-important four-hour block of sleep. At 2200 HRS, I was back at work.

Joel Lehman
November 13, 2012, 11:01 PM
I was the Navy honoree in the Austin TX parade Sunday morning. I road in a Mercedes-Benz convertible up Congress Ave to the State Capitol. I then went to church where we honored all veterans.

1911 guy
November 13, 2012, 11:38 PM
Went to church on Sunday, went to work on Monday. A day off isn't for those of us who wore the uniform, it's now for the pimply faced cashier at the bank. I'm not bitter, just resigned to the fact that our society has re-defined the meaning of everything. Memorial Day has become a celebration of spring sales at department stores instead of remembering friends, family or hometown boys lost. Veterans Day has become a similar joke, everyone with any sort of personal responsibility (most veterans) gets off their posteriors and goes to work, while the least productive among us are rewarded with (another) day off. Paid. At our tax expense.

montanaoffroader
November 14, 2012, 12:21 AM
Sunday, dug out from the latest storm. Monday, went to work as usual. About fell over when one of my coworkers commented on my military service, first time that's happened since I got out.

I do not regret a single minute of the time I spent in the military. Many others gave far more than I did, and I appreciate their service to our country.

Old Dog
November 14, 2012, 10:04 PM
Third watch; thankfully, it was quiet. Met up with a few fellow vets for a break and told some good war stories.

A day off isn't for those of us who wore the uniform, it's now for the pimply faced cashier at the bank. I'm not bitter, just resigned to the fact that our society has re-defined the meaning of everything.I don't necessarily agree -- on both Sunday and Monday, I was thanked -- sincerely, in most cases -- for my service by more than a few co-workers and some cititzens whom I encountered ...

PedalBiker
November 14, 2012, 10:10 PM
I had a cold, so I got to stay home and sleep while the family watched Timothy Green.

In honor of Veterans day I ordered a couple of normal capacity 9mm magazines and some more ammo.

donny640
November 14, 2012, 11:04 PM
I called my son and thanked him for his service. sent an E card to a friend of mine he will be going to Afganistan soon.

raddiver
November 15, 2012, 12:56 AM
Took my freshly retired from the army step dad to the range so he could shoot the reloads i taught him how to make the previous weekend. It was a good weekend. :)

r1derbike
November 15, 2012, 01:02 AM
Went to the range and blasted a few hundred downrange.

glove
November 15, 2012, 07:47 PM
Since I am not a government worker or work in a bank or post office. I went to work like a good veteran to pay for the wages of the non veterans that had the day off. It should be a National paid holiday for all veterans.
Dave

whtsmoke
November 15, 2012, 08:30 PM
glove hats off to you, seems like every veterans day i work also.:cuss:

Ala Dan
November 16, 2012, 09:11 PM
by working~! ;)

9mmfan
November 17, 2012, 04:10 AM
Sadly, a gallbladder attack kept me from doing much in the way of anything.

By next veterans day, I should be living in the exurbs, close to a place i know of out in the country where I can hoist an American flag with a Texas flag. Then I can fire off the M1, the AR15, the 1911, and whatever else in celebration of what is afforded to me due to the efforts and sacrifices made by those that served.

I will prolly then fire up the grill, and with some quiet reflection, have a beer and maybe a stogie in honor of my grandfather, who fought the Nazis real good way back when. I smoke cigarettes myself, but have a hard time remembering him without a beer in one hand, and a cigar in the other.

marv
November 17, 2012, 10:09 PM
Took advantage of Rural King's offer of 10% discount to Vets. My Korea Veteran cap wasn't good enough. Had to show my papers too. Wife and I went to the gun show. Had to pay for the wife but the cap got me in free.

ColtPythonElite
November 17, 2012, 10:11 PM
I went shooting with a vet.

If you enjoyed reading about "How did you celebrate Veteran's Day?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!