Will I find that a 4" barreled 22LR pistol is quiet than a 5"+ barreled gun?

PDA

breakingcontact
November 13, 2012, 02:55 PM
I understand there are different "sounds" involved, I'm interested in the absolute sound, from a distance.

If you enjoyed reading about "Will I find that a 4" barreled 22LR pistol is quiet than a 5"+ barreled gun?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
1911Tuner
November 13, 2012, 02:59 PM
Doubtful. The barrel/cylinder gap would make any difference negligible, and not likely detectable by the human ear.

breakingcontact
November 13, 2012, 03:12 PM
Should have said Mark III or 22/45 semi-auto, not revolver. Thanks for the response though because I have been considering revolvers as well.

1911Tuner
November 13, 2012, 06:00 PM
Ah! Okay.

Still, the difference in an inch would be hard to detect.

firesky101
November 14, 2012, 01:53 PM
Yes an inch will be a tough one to notice, also much will depend on what ammo you are using. Much of the noise a .22lr makes is the supersonic crack. Shoot subsonics, and on paper the longer the barrel the quieter the round. I have an old .22 rifle with a barrel so long the striker is louder than the round going off.

ku4hx
November 14, 2012, 02:26 PM
How far is "from a distance"? All other things bring equal, sound attenuation obeys the inverse square law. Double the distance and you cut the sound by a factor of four, four times the distance and it's cut by sixteen and so forth. It doesn't take much distance for the sound to be little more than the "pop" you hear people report in shooting "events". Or to not have been heard at all.

In the case, "from a distance", the marginal change will be insignificant

If you enjoyed reading about "Will I find that a 4" barreled 22LR pistol is quiet than a 5"+ barreled gun?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!