Link to Steve McQueen's 18-7 from The Getaway

PDA

bushmaster1313
November 13, 2012, 10:10 PM
http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/16122/lot/180/

If you enjoyed reading about "Link to Steve McQueen's 18-7 from The Getaway" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Fred Fuller
November 14, 2012, 08:30 AM
25 Oct 2008 11:00 PDT Los Angeles
Collectors' Memorabilia
Back to auction 16122
Go to lot number

A 12 gauge High Standard Riot 18-7 Model K-120 pump action shotgun,
SN3028450, 12 gauge. 18 inch barrel. Blued finish. Oil-finshed walnut stock and grooved slide. Right side of buttstock with plaque inscribed
Condition: As new.

"In the summer of 1969, Charles Manson and his "family" committed the Tate/LaBianca murders that rocked Los Angeles, and the world, creating a fear amongst local Los Angelinos that changed the atmosphere of the City. Later, it was announced that Steve McQueen was on Manson's "kill list." Not taking any chances, I purchased the shotgun for the Solar Productions' office in Studio City, as we were not located at a studio and had no security. It was 1970, and Steve was in France with the rest of the Solar staff, shooting 'Le Mans'. I was alone in the office.

I met with the District Attorney's staff and attended Manson's trial, so was able to see Manson and his family up close. The look in Manson's eyes was terrifying.

When Steve returned from France, he spotted the High Standard shot gun in my office. He commented that it was perfect for the character he was portraying in 'The Getaway', which was to be produced by Solar. Steve borrowed the shotgun, and when the filming was over returned it to me in Los Angeles. I have never used the gun; the powder in the gun barrel is from 'The Getaway' filming." -- Bill Maher, Corporate Vice President of Solar Productions and Financial Advisor to Steve McQueen from 1969 to his death.

Sold for US$ 22,800 inc. premium

Footnotes
'The Getaway' was in many ways one of the most important films in Steve McQueen's career.

The picture re-established him as a major movie star after a string of box-office duds ('The Reivers', 'Le Mans' and 'Junior Bonner'); it earned him the honor of highest paid actor in the world at the time (his 10 percent of the gross netted him approximately $3.5 million in 1973 dollars) and was the film where he met and fell in love with actress Ali MacGraw, who became his second wife.

The shotgun for sale holds special significance because it illustrates McQueen's ability to improvise from the written page. Peckinpah said the scene in which McQueen catches two police officers off guard and blasts their patrol car to bits was not in the script. “That shot was entirely Steve's idea, and I thought it was sensational. Steve was extraordinary with props. He made them his – like he had known them all of his life. On the screen he really made you believe in his character,” said Peckinpah.

This firearm is subject to Federal and State regulations as well as export restrictions. Please see "Special Conditions of Sale Relating to Firearms" in this catalog for further details or contact the Arms and Armor Department at (415) 503-3408.
Lot heading
A 12 gauge High Standard Riot 18-7 Model K-120 pump action shotgun,
Auction Notices
Please note that this lot can be viewed during preview at the Petersen Automotive Museum, but can only be collected by the buyer from our San Francisco gallery.

Fred Fuller
November 14, 2012, 08:37 AM
For a picture, click this link:

http://images2.bonhams.com/image?src=Images/live/2008-09/17/7754956-1-1.jpg

OARNGESI
November 14, 2012, 04:11 PM
pretty cool but it would be better if it came with that old mustang

If you enjoyed reading about "Link to Steve McQueen's 18-7 from The Getaway" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!