Ar-15 and Model 700 vs. AR-10

PDA

Kettle93
November 13, 2012, 11:11 PM
Hey fellow high roaders,
Been a while since I've been on, so I'll just skip the boring crap and get straight to the good stuff. Here recently I got a job at a local gun shop and get an awesome discount (COST!!!) on anything in the store. Now I've been around long enough that I've got a chunk of cash saved up for a few new toys and I've come to a bit of a dilemma. I'm looking at either getting a new AR-15 with a low power scope and a light, low drag set up paired with a 700 (most likely a 700 varmint) pillar and glass bedded in a typical sniper style set up. The other side of the coin is an AR-10 with an 18" barrel and a high power scope with side canted red dot/iron sights. I can only go with one of the two options for the time and I'd love some help. Pros/cons on both ideas, and rifle types. Oh, as a side note, these will be for primarily plinking, fun guns, some coyote and groundhog hunting, and of course a WROL set up (unlikely, more than likely just an "insurance policy"). Thanks for any help guy!!!

If you enjoyed reading about "Ar-15 and Model 700 vs. AR-10" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
K1500
November 13, 2012, 11:12 PM
AR + 700 all the way.

sixgunner455
November 14, 2012, 12:38 AM
AR15 + 700, or two uppers on an AR15. :D

AR15 is light and handy, if you want it to be. AR10 - that's harder to accomplish, and not really likely if you want it to be a compromise, "1 gun to rule them all kind" of thing. It's going to carry to much weight. The 700, you'll get more accuracy per dollar spent than on the AR10. The AR10 (and AR15, for that matter) can be very accurate long range packages, but the simple bolt action trumps them for cost effective accuracy.

Gordon
November 14, 2012, 12:45 AM
Ar15 shorty to protect your egress after the 700 is properly employed :evil:

stubbicatt
November 14, 2012, 06:37 AM
Ar15 shorty to protect your egress after the 700 is properly employed :evil:
Wow. Your shooting range must be on somebody else's property or something!

The ones I shoot at, I just drive my truck on in, park, and tote my gear to the line. :D

holdencm9
November 14, 2012, 10:42 AM
AR + 700

My AR is .223 and my 700 is .308. Is that the chambering your 700 would be? If so, it is a great combo of two common and effective cartridges.

I think that is gives you the widest range of options for fun. Everything from plinking with cheap steel-cased .223, to varmints, to big game. Then you can always set up your 700 more for long-range stuff and set up your AR for home defense, etc. More options, more guns, better overall!

mljdeckard
November 14, 2012, 10:48 AM
I think you should decide on your purpose and prioritize. Do you want a fighting rifle? Do you want a defensive rifle? Do you want a paper-punching rifle? Do you need more range on your fighting rifle than you can get from the AR-15? If you get the AR-10, do you REALLY need it to do more than one job, or would it be better to gat (at least) two uppers for it to switch out?

There is nothing wrong with getting as many guns for as many reasons as you want. But if you are limited by price, you might have to make a couple of decisions. Another option might be to get the 15 and the 700, and get an AR-10 stripped lower and peck away at it as you have time and money.

Robert
November 14, 2012, 11:10 AM
Me, AR10.

taliv
November 14, 2012, 11:46 AM
i tried the 308 gas gun for a while and it just didn't work for me as a dual purpose.

an AR15 in an SPR configuration is a much closer to dual purpose for my needs, but at the end of the day, isnt' good enough either, so i went to a combo of short barreled AR15 and a bolt gun for the long range precision stuff

obviously, the downside is more weight and cost from 2 guns, more ammo, etc.

benEzra
November 14, 2012, 12:54 PM
obviously, the downside is more weight and cost from 2 guns, more ammo, etc.

That will be offset somewhat by the lower cost of plinking with a .223 vs. plinking with a .308. Cheap plinking ammo for a .223 is $5/box at Walmart.

USSR
November 14, 2012, 02:08 PM
i tried the 308 gas gun for a while and it just didn't work for me as a dual purpose.

Yep, most compromises tend to work out that way.

Don

Kettle93
November 26, 2012, 11:01 PM
Thanks for all the input guys, gave it some thought and all, and I'm gunna go the AR-15 and 700 way. Going with an Armalite M-15 with a lighterish weight set up with 1-4 scope and a .308 700 SPS Varmint (glass and pillar bedded of course!) along with a 4-14 scope. If I ever get around to it I'll slowly post updates on the rifles. My cost for the two is ballparked right now at ~$1800 for the AR and ~$1400 for the 700. Now time to play the saving game I guess.... Feel free to post your system pics in the meantime guys!

3twelves
November 27, 2012, 04:33 AM
Just buy them all, that's what I did.

sansone
November 27, 2012, 04:48 AM
anytime I tried to have multi purposes from one gun it ended poorly..
a gun for each task, like tools, one can't do all things :D

longshot7.62x51
November 27, 2012, 06:24 AM
All 3

If you enjoyed reading about "Ar-15 and Model 700 vs. AR-10" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!