Obama Is Still our Best Salesman

PDA

Ky Larry
November 14, 2012, 07:20 AM
http://www.wkyt.com/news/headlines/Busiest-day-for-local-gun-shop-after-2012-Election-179190101.html

This was on our local CBS affliate last night.

If you enjoyed reading about "Obama Is Still our Best Salesman" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
accrhodes
November 14, 2012, 08:54 AM
I was in our local gun shop yesterday and people had the same fear. I saw one guy drop 2 grand on 5.56 ammo.

chevyman097
November 14, 2012, 08:56 AM
I was in Academy on Monday and about every 5 minutes it was a page over head for a gun counter carry out. People were lined up waiting in line to get to the gun case.

mljdeckard
November 14, 2012, 08:58 AM
I think it's disingenuous to panic all at once over one event. Did the guy who bought the metric ton of 5.56 think that he didn't need it BEFORE this election?

cfullgraf
November 14, 2012, 08:59 AM
Yes, there was a piece on Monday night's local news that gun sales have increased in the Knoxville area since the election.

W.E.G.
November 14, 2012, 09:57 AM
No .223 or .308 at AIM this morning.

MtnCreek
November 14, 2012, 10:02 AM
I’m stocking up for 2016. I have it from good authority that the dems are nominating Hugo Chavez in ’16. :) Buy now or regret latter. ;)

CoRoMo
November 14, 2012, 10:03 AM
I told you so: http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?p=8163277#post8163277

benEzra
November 14, 2012, 10:07 AM
I think it's disingenuous to panic all at once over one event. Did the guy who bought the metric ton of 5.56 think that he didn't need it BEFORE this election?
He might have thought that prices were going to increase and availability was going to decrease, which at least in the near term is probably an accurate assessment.

I have to disagree with the characterization of post-election buying as "panic." Many of us were burned badly in 1994, and while the likelihood of new restrictions is low, hedging against future restrictions, price increases, or reduced availability is not a "panic" response.

cfullgraf
November 14, 2012, 10:21 AM
I have to disagree with the characterization of post-election buying as "panic." Many of us were burned badly in 1994, and while the likelihood of new restrictions is low, hedging against future restrictions, price increases, or reduced availability is not a "panic" response.

Right, but why wait until after the election to hedge against future shortages. Would it not make sense to plan ahead?

Maybe the current "panic" is not concern about gun control as much as it is worrying about cash shortages. With the status quo in Washington, the tax cuts are sure to expire and we will fall off the fiscal cliff. Nobody will have any cash to buy firearm related stuff.

gfanikf
November 14, 2012, 10:32 AM
http://www.xdtalk.com/gallery/data/600/Salesman_of_the_year.jpg

:)

CatManDo
November 14, 2012, 10:42 AM
Thank the Lord that I have the ability and resources to reload ALL the different calibers and shotshells I will need in the foreseeable future. Last weekends gunshow in Tulsa was a "sell out" in terms of ammo and firearms. They had record numbers of visitors on both days of the show. Elbow room only. Ammo leaving by the pallet load.
Barry is the best salesman the Firearms industry has ever had.

sansone
November 14, 2012, 10:43 AM
"MY EYES" .. you burned my retina gfanik

JFrame
November 14, 2012, 10:51 AM
I went to my local Wally World on the day after the election. I feel pretty well "stocked," but I just wanted to get a snapshot take on the mood of gun/ammo buyers.

While I was looking at the glass cases of ammo, a fellow came by and snatched up the last five bulk boxes of UMC .40 caliber ammo (250 rounds/box). I casually said to him, "Reacting to the election, eh?" and winked. He nodded, and said he had just bought up the same supply from the last Wall World he had visited an hour before.

Just submitting this as a purely anecdotal reference of one... :)

JustinJ
November 14, 2012, 01:56 PM
Blaming Obama for gun sales is like blaming a calendar for the Y2K panic.

Warp
November 14, 2012, 02:25 PM

Incorrect.

November 14, 2012, 02:32 PM
He might have thought that prices were going to increase and availability was going to decrease, which at least in the near term is probably an accurate assessment.

I agree.

Anyone who was around to experience the joys of the '94 AWB :rolleyes: is simply reacting to the very real potential for restrictive firearms/ammunition legislation- "Bite me once, shame on you. Bite me twice, shame on me."

ManBearPig
November 14, 2012, 02:42 PM
Blaming Obama is justified because of his history on guns as a Senator. Just because he's done nothing to actively attack them as President doesn't mean that justifies completely ignoring his history.

But of course the blame isn't entirely his, Dianne Feinstien and Carolyn "that shoulder thing that goes up" McCarthy do not help anything when they both constantly introduce ridiculous bills with no grandfather clause. So part of that salesmanship award should go to both of those insane, old, crazy beasts of women.

mljdeckard
November 14, 2012, 03:49 PM
Feinstein and McCarthy are not in play here. To drive up prices because of anything they say is opportunism. (They say it all the time.)

Warp
November 14, 2012, 03:53 PM
Feinstein and McCarthy are not in play here. To drive up prices because of anything they say is opportunism. (They say it all the time.)

Yup.

Lots of gun/ammo/accessory salesman/owners/employees/etc beating their drums and driving business through the roof.

Edit: And groups like the NRA, who get more money as they scare you more and more. Sensationalism.

GlockFan
November 14, 2012, 03:55 PM
Blaming Obama for gun sales is like blaming a calendar for the Y2K panic

:rolleyes: So then in 2008 that was not why the same scenario was happening?

Warp
November 14, 2012, 03:56 PM
:rolleyes: So then in 2008 that was not why the same scenario was happening?

I think it made a lot more sense in 2008, since the Democrats had control of all three. This time they don't even have that.

MedWheeler
November 14, 2012, 05:41 PM
JustinJ writes:

I disagree. I never heard a calendar quoted as supporting a ban on the right of the people and their infrastructure to continue to function and survive after any specific date.

Tommygunn
November 14, 2012, 07:37 PM

:confused:
All this time I thought gun sales were a GOOD THING.:o

silicosys4
November 14, 2012, 07:45 PM
Wow. This has all happened before. 4 years ago. Obama is not driving up gun sales, your paranoia is.

radiotom
November 14, 2012, 07:51 PM
I bought another 2k of pistol ammo last week at pre-election prices. The only reason NOT to buy is if you think prices are staying the same or going down(or no money). Does anybody who understands supply and demand seriously think that is the case for the foreseeable future?

I mean there is barely any downside risk to ammo prices and PLENTY of upside. Current market conditions are cementing this prediction whether you agree with them or not.

DougW
November 14, 2012, 09:09 PM
I'm still using the stuff I got during the Slime Bill days! remember the SA .308 battle packs for $19.95?

Scuba_Steve
November 14, 2012, 09:48 PM
As said in post 25, Obama isn't driving the gun sales. It is the paranoid gun owners fueled by certain 3 letter acronym firearm non profit agencies.

ExTank
November 15, 2012, 12:11 AM
^ATF?

r1derbike
November 15, 2012, 12:38 AM
I don't understand the "blame game". Blame is used as a negative connotation? Sales are up, shops/manufacturers are dancing in the streets. We saw whatever we saw (or not) coming months ago. I took the opportunity to purchase "stuff" I needed...really needed, at great prices, long ago.

BHO, salesman extraordinaire, and I didn't vote for him, and will deal with whatever comes down the pike, whenever it shows its ugly head.

Meantime, I'm having fun plinking, ranging, and cannot wipe this smile off my face, although that may come later.

gunnutery
November 15, 2012, 01:14 AM
I think the President is probably mostly to blame/thank for this increased popularity in guns. I think in a smaller way, the "fiscal cliff" is also to blame. I think few people really fear falling off of that cliff, but the people that do fear it, are the type to prepare with a vengence. Thus only adding to the demand.

I've had friends lately are basically saying "I'm going to buy while I can." Meanwhile I'm not really concerned about the supply and demand in the long run. I expect things to be backlogged for a bit, but once the hype dies down it'll return to normal, and the plus side is that there will be even more people armed than before.

I'm one of those people that's more concerned about the fiscal cliff. I see more reason to stock up for that event than any legislative action. The "conservatives" control the House, and even in the Senate, they're quite aware that gun-control is a potential career ender. The President may not fear re-election time, but the rest of the legislative branch is.

CharlieDeltaJuliet
November 15, 2012, 07:51 AM
Firearms and ammunition is a huge business in this country. Maybe this will help the economy (doubt it but oh well). I don't blame the POTUS for the spike in prices, I like a few others , blame people who are panicking. I had stocked up on most things I needed over the past two years. I understand people's fear on the subject, but most do not understand how difficult it is to pass new legislation such as an AWB. that is where we, as gun owners, have stood up, paid our dues, contacted our representatives, and said no more. We actually have more pull than most realize. As long as we keep doing this we can keep up the good fight. It is one we will not win, but we can prevent from worsening.

benEzra
November 15, 2012, 08:12 AM
I like a few others , blame people who are panicking. I had stocked up on most things I needed over the past two years. I understand people's fear on the subject, but most do not understand how difficult it is to pass new legislation such as an AWB.
Well...that's what I thought in 1994. I got burned, badly.

The thing is, you were able to buy what you wanted some time ago, but for someone struggling financially, buying a $1K rifle might ordinarily be well down the priority list. If someone assesses that the threat environment re: new legislation has changed enough to reorganize those priorities, then that's not "panicking," it's rational reassessment on their part, even if you or I feel the absolute risk of new legislation is very low.

jim243
November 15, 2012, 08:26 AM
Obama is not driving up gun sales, your paranoia is.

Same thing.

Jim

Pilot
November 15, 2012, 09:13 AM
As said in post 25, Obama isn't driving the gun sales. It is the paranoid gun owners fueled by certain 3 letter acronym firearm non profit agencies.

Were we paranoid in 1994 when a ten year AWB and mag capaciyt ban was enacted?

We have a sitting President indicating in the second Presidential debate that called for another AWB and more restrictions on "cheap handguns".

“But I also share your belief that weapons that were designed for soldiers in war theaters don’t belong on our streets. And so what I’m trying to do is to get a broader conversation about how do we reduce the violence generally. Part of it is seeing if we can get an assault weapons ban reintroduced. But part of it is also looking at other sources of the violence. Because frankly, in my home town of Chicago, there’s an awful lot of violence and they’re not using AK-47s. They’re using cheap hand guns.”

As a candidate in 2008, Obama campaigned on permanent reinstatement of the expired assault weapons ban, and Attorney General Eric Holder in 2009 indicated that the administration would lobby for a bill.

So without the worry of re-election what do you think his motivation to not move forward with further restrictions on legal guns will be?

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2012/10/obama-calls-for-renewal-of-assault-weapons-ban/

[/quote]

gfanikf
November 15, 2012, 09:18 AM
Keep in mind there are elections for House and Senate member still.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Andrew Leigh
November 15, 2012, 09:36 AM
Hi

From afar I would say Obama is a poor salesman and some gun fanatics are poor buyers.

If I were American there is precious little Mr. Obama could sell me, so for me he is a great orator but a poor salesman.

From last month to this month what has has changed that you need another 1000 rounds?

Sorry, probably don't understand the dynamic!

Ky Larry
November 15, 2012, 09:38 AM
When you get right down to it, Nobammo can't really do anything without Congress. He can only sign or veto laws that Congress puts on his desk. Congress is a collection of geeks, perverts, thieves, morons and sideshow freaks but,they all understand one concept.To keep their snouts in the public trough, they have to get reelected. They learned in the elections of 1996 and 1998 that an AWB will get them put out the door.

sansone
November 15, 2012, 09:46 AM
4yrs ago I spent a fortune on ammo, I'm sitting this one out :p

CharlieDeltaJuliet
November 15, 2012, 10:01 AM
BenEzra, I agree, I went through the AWB too. It simply is against the odds that it could be done again. I will not say it cannot be, but will say that any representative (other than the most a it's like Feinstein) would be signing their resignation by doing it. The AWB of 94 was the single worst and best thing to happen to semi auto sales. Post AWB we have more and better companies flooding the market with high quality firearms. I would expect to see an expansion of the Brady Bill before another AWB. Firearm laws can be passed with either party as President(Brady bill and AWB for example). Most POTUS including the previous administration said they would sign it if it made it to them. It is the nature of the beast. While some will argue that Bush only said that knowing it would not make it to him, the same can be said for this administration. It could have been to gather support from the anti's, who knows. We still have many representatives Republican,Democrat,and Independent that will stop any legislation from being enacted. We just need to stand strong, not panic(because we look desperate when we do) and keep supporting those that have our best interests at heart. I urge everyone to write their representatives and thank them for their work and let them know how we stand. What I worry about is the undecided people, the ones that are on the fence about firearms. It is our duty to educate them in the truth about the laws, violence, and firearm use. All it takes is one tragedy to change their minds against firearms. We can blame ALL media for that.

Warp
November 15, 2012, 01:09 PM
From last month to this month what has has changed that you need another 1000 rounds?

Potential inability to buy those 1,000 rounds next month.

buck460XVR
November 15, 2012, 01:20 PM
Wow. This has all happened before. 4 years ago. Obama is not driving up gun sales, your paranoia is.

Yep, pretty much. All the hype 4 years ago and nuttin' happened. Last month folks used the "if he gets elected to his second term, he'll take all your guns" hype to try and defeat him. Truth is, between the positive attitude the majority of Americans have towards gun ownership nowadays and the overwhelming other problems our nation has to deal with, I doubt if any lawmaker is gonna press gun control and if they do, they will be met with stout opposition. I believe one reason Obama got reelected is because many folks didn't really believe the anti-gun hype a minority of folks tried to impress upon us. I didn't worry 4 years ago and I'm not worried now. I've been well stocked for 40 years, those that think they need to rush out now and stock up better have deep pockets......and not want to get their monies worth.

Darkhades
November 15, 2012, 01:30 PM
History has proven nothing will happen as him as the president to change gun laws. Being a demi it is common knowledge they push for higher taxes on guns, which he didnt do in his last 4 years. In fear of paying more for a fire arm I would be willing to go out and buy more for that reason but not in fear of any bills being passed. All in all it is good for gun salesman and fear some times can educate people in this case for the reasonable consumer knowing more about guns in gen. But with that said more irresponsible people will be buying them also which always hurts use because of their actions.

My hope is people will start to see people kill people not gun owners but that would require speaking to them directly which the gun salesman's have the power to do.

Ignition Override
November 15, 2012, 01:41 PM
Friends tell me that during the so-called AWB, AK clones and other sport utility rifles were still available for sale.
But they were missing the "evil features".

Would the White House try hard to pass legislation which might later lead to a smaller Dem. majority in the Senate?
They usually calculate such factors, being keenly aware that careers and other potential bills are at risk.

Four years ago the astute gun owners knew in advance that "Our Leader" needed almost all of his mandate, or 'political capital' for the huge ObamaCare legislation. He now is reported to have less political capital compared to in early '09, though there might be no major bill which requires it.

Andrew Leigh
November 15, 2012, 02:34 PM
Potential inability to buy those 1,000 rounds next month.

Potentially,

what has actually changed? Can you now not buy those rounds?

Warp
November 15, 2012, 02:40 PM
Potentially,

Some of them, yes, but at a premium of $50 or so over what they cost a couple weeks ago.

Some of them, no, because they are out of stock.

A couple weeks ago I ordered 1,000 rounds of quality, brass case .223 for $336 shipped. If you can show me where that deal is currently available, I'm all ears.

MtnCreek
November 15, 2012, 04:10 PM

Nope. Just backordered some bullets. Typical backorder from this supplier is around two weeks. Lady told me she had no idea when, but thought it would get into next year.

buck460XVR
November 15, 2012, 04:16 PM
Some of them, yes, but at a premium of $50 or so over what they cost a couple weeks ago.

A couple weeks ago I ordered 1,000 rounds of quality, brass case .223 for $336 shipped. If you can show me where that deal is currently available, I'm all ears.

But again....this has nuttin to do with the politicians in Washington, but all about panic buying because of unfounded fear. Some of it(just like 4 years ago) is because retailers motivated by profit and greed tend to keep visible inventory low hoping it will look like a shortage and motivate the buyer to take all there is. If folks were so worried, why did they wait till now to stock up? Reminds me of the old sayin' "A fool and his money are soon parted".

Dean1818
November 15, 2012, 04:48 PM
Reloading should be a priority to everyone

MachIVshooter
November 15, 2012, 04:50 PM
The thing is, you were able to buy what you wanted some time ago, but for someone struggling financially, buying a $1K rifle might ordinarily be well down the priority list. If someone assesses that the threat environment re: new legislation has changed enough to reorganize those priorities, then that's not "panicking," it's rational reassessment on their part, even if you or I feel the absolute risk of new legislation is very low.

Exactly. I know more than a few people in this boat.

I was one of the lucky ones who's small business has done fairly well, and I was able to buy a few new firearms and a decent amount of ammo the last couple of years. Not that I couldn't use more....

But I digress. I have had a lot of inquiries from acquaintances and friends regarding what they should buy and from whom. Of course, I've told them all to wait a little while, until after the holidays when many people's priorities have shifted to paying on the credit cards they ran up buying ammo, guns and christmas gifts. Things will calm down. We may face another ban, but it isn't gonna happen tomorrow, so if you can't comfortably afford whatever it is you want, I suggest you wait until you can. Don't put yourself in a financial bind to get that AR or AK today.

And while ammo isn't an investment you'll lose money on, it's not like you can take boxes of rounds to pay for your gas or groceries. Our dollar hasn't collapsed yet.

In short, if you have the money, I see no reason not to spend it on guns or ammo you planned to buy anyway. But don't create a financial crisis for yourself because you believe that O will push an executive order any moment now, outlawing whatever it is you wanted.

Warp
November 15, 2012, 05:03 PM
But again....this has nuttin to do with the politicians in Washington, but all about panic buying because of unfounded fear. Some of it(just like 4 years ago) is because retailers motivated by profit and greed tend to keep visible inventory low hoping it will look like a shortage and motivate the buyer to take all there is. If folks were so worried, why did they wait till now to stock up? Reminds me of the old sayin' "A fool and his money are soon parted".

It isn't all unfounded fear or panic.

Some of us would appreciate it if you stopped demeaning people for purchasing items at this point in time. There are plenty of legitimate reasons for doing so, some of which have been very succinctly articulated in this very thread

silicosys4
November 15, 2012, 06:01 PM
Warp:
Its not demeaning to point out the obvious. The last "panic buy" was unfounded, period. It was the product of speculation and fear from 1994's fiasco. It served to do nothing but separate a lot of gunowners from money above and beyond what they would have paid otherwise.
The simple fact: there is no evidence to support the idea of another AWB. Even less than in 2008 The ONLY facts being stated here to support such an idea are all "what-ifs" with no basis except "it happened before"
This fails to recognize that a large part of the reason it is very unlikely to happen again is that yes, it did happen before, and the results were NOT positive, politically.
Did anyone actually see the AWB question being asked, who it was asked by, and the presidents actual response?

HE DID NOT VOLUNTEER AN AWB. HE WAS ASKED ABOUT ITS REINSTATEMENT AND RESPONDED DIRECTLY.

It was a question posed by a scared little old lady.
The president backed away from it as quickly as a democratic candidate running for a highly contested office could.

I'm not saying he's pro-gun, or that deep in his heart he wouldn't love to see an AWB. I'm saying I'm sure he knows better and so do the dems.
For petes sake, when Wal-mart is selling Colt AR-15's, times have CHANGED from 1994, and even from 2008.

Warp
November 15, 2012, 06:09 PM
The ONLY facts being stated here to support such an idea are all "what-ifs" with no basis except "it happened before"

You act as if "it happened before" is not a legitimate reason to believe it could happen again.

lulz

silicosys4
November 15, 2012, 06:11 PM
Lol, in the context, No, its not a legitimate reason to believe it could happen again. There are too many cities planted next to dormant volcanoes to believe that "because it has erupted in the past" means it is DEFINITELY going to erupt again AT ANY TIME.
Indeed, past eruptions often blow enough crap into the atmosphere to make sure it doesn't happen again anytime soon. Pressures got to build, you know?
There are warning signs, and in this case, the ground is not rumbling.

Don't step outside your door today, you could get hit struck by lightning. "Its happened before".

Warp
November 15, 2012, 06:17 PM
Lol, in the context, No, its not a legitimate reason to believe it could happen again. There are too many cities planted next to dormant volcanoes to believe that "because it has erupted in the past" means it is DEFINITELY going to erupt again AT ANY TIME.
Indeed, past eruptions often blow enough crap into the atmosphere to make sure it doesn't happen again anytime soon. Pressures got to build, you know?
There are warning signs, and in this case, the ground is not rumbling.

Don't step outside your door today, you could get hit struck by lightning. "Its happened before".

If you only prepare for things that you think will DEFINITELY happen again AT ANY TIME, you are doing it wrong.

buck460XVR
November 15, 2012, 06:18 PM
It isn't all unfounded fear or panic.

Some of us would appreciate it if you stopped demeaning people for purchasing items at this point in time.

I'm sorry, are you suggesting I applaud those that wait till the panic begins to start stockpiling? Are you saying that it is not indeed foolish to wait till after the rush begins and the prices are high to begin preparing? You really believe that folks need to pay thru the nose and buy whatever is left over because of something that might happen without any legitimate evidence that it will? Again, even if there is concern, why would an intelligent person wait till the last minute?

There are plenty of legitimate reasons for doing so, some of which have been very succinctly articulated in this very thread

Where? All I have seen is a lot of maybe/might happen. No real evidence, just innuendos and again, unfounded fear. Again, if one was really concerned, why weren't they preparing the last four years knowing how hard it is to unseat an incumbent President? Wishing in one hand while pooping in the other perhaps? I wonder which one filled up on Nov 6th?

Husker_Fan
The panic buying should have started back in May when we know Romney would get the nomination. At that time it was clear that whoever won would be an anti.

silicosys4
Lol, makes me want to open a gunshop...for about 8 months.

Warp
November 15, 2012, 06:42 PM
Again, if one was really concerned, why weren't they preparing the last four years

Financial limitations.

Recent entry into the relevant market.

The panic buying should have started back in May when we know Romney would get the nomination. At that time it was clear that whoever won would be an anti.

I got my AR in June, actually.

blarby
November 15, 2012, 06:55 PM
Lol, makes me want to open a gunshop...for about 8 months.

True.

What it will make me do is purchase every single .223/5.56 and 9mm round I can get my hands on in june of 2014- august 2014.

I will then open my internet sales cubicle on october of 2016.

My estimates based on doing this roughly equate to a 200% margin from the prices I'm seeing folks buying things for now, versus the comparable period of the last election cycle.

For a long time I thought that this was gouging.

I've learned in all of this that its not- its simply supply and paranoia induced demand.

We do this to ourselves- plain and simple.

It's happened three times now in my adult lifetime... and the only thing I can deduce from it is that people like it.

So, regardless of who or what the result is- look for 4yearoldammo.com in 2016- I'll see ya there.

Warp
November 15, 2012, 07:06 PM
True.

What it will make me do is purchase every single .223/5.56 and 9mm round I can get my hands on in june of 2014- august 2014.

I will then open my internet sales cubicle on october of 2016.

My estimates based on doing this roughly equate to a 200% margin from the prices I'm seeing folks buying things for now, versus the comparable period of the last election cycle.

How the heck did you get 200%?

You do realize you can currently buy 1,000 rounds of 9mm for <$200, right?

Do you realize that I just bought 1,000 rounds of brass case .223 for $336, shipped, two weeks ago? And that that deal was available through Wed morning last week? That same case can currently be had for $380, shipped. That is a whopping 13% price increase

Andrew Leigh
November 16, 2012, 12:44 AM

It's crazy.

Believe it or not we feel the pain here in South Africa. As much of our reloading gear and components are sourced from the States we too will be in for a drought as you boys buy up all the stock then the prices lift.

Our hunting season start in April, about the time it takes for the full efffect of the buying spree to be felt here, then we are up the creek without a paddle. Perhaps we should have stocked up as well?

Curiously, if Romney got in would you all have sold some rifles and ammo :D.

Warp
November 16, 2012, 12:46 AM
It's crazy.

Believe it or not we feel the pain here in South Africa. As much of our reloading gear and components are sourced from the States we too will be in for a drought as you boys buy up all the stock then the prices lift.

Our hunting season start in April, about the time it takes for the full efffect of the buying spree to be felt here, then we are up the creek without a paddle. Perhaps we should have stocked up as well?

Curiously, if Romney got in would you all have sold some rifles and ammo :D.

Romney is the one with an AWB on his record. Not a whole lot better there.

I don't believe anything will happen...but there is a (remote) possibility, and enough other people have got themselves worked up into a frenzy that that dictates having what one needs for a little while

blarby
November 16, 2012, 12:54 AM
Do you realize that I just bought 1,000 rounds of brass case .223 for $336, shipped, two weeks ago?

Do you realize, In july 2008, that 1k in bulk lots of 10k pieces was about $160 ?

Good mil bulk too, all shootey shootey.

Thats where I get the doubling. Your offer actually makes it a lot better.

A minor note, i'm very sorry you paid 33c ea to shoot .223.

I could make them for a little over half that :/

Warp
November 16, 2012, 01:01 AM
Do you realize, In july 2008, that 1k in bulk lots of 10k pieces was about $160 ?

Good mil bulk too, all shootey shootey.

Thats where I get the 200%. Your offer actually makes it a lot better than 200%.

I don't think it was quite that low, but regardless...that won't be happening again.

A lot has affected the cost of ammunition since then, including a rise in the cost of the raw materials. That won't be dropping again.

blarby
November 16, 2012, 01:33 AM
Right- its not. Ammo will never be that cheap again.

But materials cost had a lot less to do with the price increase than all of "this" did.

I have a strong feeling that $280 worth of common ammo a year from now, is going to worth about 5-600 next election cycle.

MAinly, again, due to ourselves.

Warp
November 16, 2012, 01:38 AM
Let's hope not

Neverwinter
November 16, 2012, 02:16 AM
A lot has affected the cost of ammunition since then, including a rise in the cost of the raw materials. That won't be dropping again.Sharp increases of ammo purchases after an election isn't a symptom of rational shopping based on raw material cost increases.

Warp
November 16, 2012, 02:22 AM
Sharp increases of ammo purchases after an election isn't a symptom of rational shopping based on raw material cost increases.

Is that what happened? The prices from summer 2008 held until last week? No, it is not.

In terms of pre/post election, the example I calculated was 13%. Not that sharp of an increase.

cacoltguy
November 16, 2012, 02:36 AM
What worries me more than Obama being in office for the next four years and all his cronies like Feinstein and Pelosi pushing for numerous bans and regulations, is the probability that he will be nominating 2 new Supreme Court Justices. Take one guess on what their stance will be regarding any Second Amendment cases brought forth to them. Even if nothing drastic is proposed in the next four years eventually it will be and any anti-gun legislation brought before the court will not be to our favor. They will have the next forty years to ram what they want down our throats.

CharlieDeltaJuliet
November 16, 2012, 09:36 AM
I agree with you though Warp. We all need to not let our guard down with people like Feinstein in office. The gun owner really did not have a good choice for their platform from the POTUS candidates. Cacoltguy, you are right about Feinstein, but I was recently disappointed with one of the more conservative judges that was appointed. The truth is none of us have a crystal ball that works, so we have to be proactive. We have to make sure our representatives know our stand. We also need a stronger voice and community. It is all good when people come out of the wood works when our 2A rights are challenged, but it seems a lot of the support there does not last long. My LGS was a hysterical mess with people saying "we'll that's it, our guns are as good as gone" etc. Educate others on how "Executive Orders" really works, that helps to ease the panic.

Double Naught Spy
November 16, 2012, 10:57 AM
Originally Posted by buck460XVR
Again, if one was really concerned, why weren't they preparing the last four years

Financial limitations.

Recent entry into the relevant market.

Funny how people don't have money to prep buy but have money to panic buy...when things are more expensive.

People did it the first time around as well.

CZguy
November 16, 2012, 11:58 PM
People did it the first time around as well.

Consistency ought to count for something. :D

nwilliams
November 17, 2012, 01:35 AM
Funny how people don't have money to prep buy but have money to panic buy...when things are more expensive.

This is so true and it's so annoying!

I work at a gun shop and it's been crazy since the election. I have people coming into the shop asking what to buy because Obama is back in office. I simply tell to them that maybe they should just buy what they need and they all stare at me with a blank look like I'm insane for being calm about the whole situation.

Seriously, it's so sad how people buy and buy simply because they think their gun rights are in danger and this is a complete repeat of what happened the fist time Obama got elected and guess what, nothing happened!

All panic buyers do is reduce inventory for shops and suppliers and cause prices to go up as a result which only makes it a burden on those who aren't panic buying.

If you are a panic buyer you need to step back and take a deep breath and realize the sky is not falling. Buy what you need and have fun and stop wasting your money on crap you don't really want just because you think there is a chance it might be taken away from you, it's only hurting everyone.

r1derbike
November 17, 2012, 02:05 AM
Stop, wait, what's that sound? Everybody look what's goin' down...

...lots of traffic goin' up and down the roads around here. Man, better break-out the green-tips, but can't find my magazines. Where are they? Put them someplace obvious in '94, but I've slept since then! Jeeves, what happened to all the "stuff"! Moved 5 time since then!

Attrition. Gotta be.

Really, gonna take a watch and wait posture here. Got enough "stuff" to keep the family fed with critters-n-taters.

All I'm lookin' to buy is an expensive set of electronic earmuffs, as my present set unseated from my left ear when I turned slightly and sent a .45 downrange next to the left range wall into the silhouette with my XD-S. Still can't hear out of the ear much, after a few days. Debated putting the earplugs in too, but got in a rush. Stupid. Protect your hearing. It only takes one round indoors to damage it.

Anyway, lookin' at the proears lineup. Heck, buy whatcha need, and need whatcha buy.

Ignition Override
November 17, 2012, 02:42 AM
Anybody who had the same cash several months before the election and did not buy "it", either did not need or want "it".
If so, they make no sense.

leadcounsel
November 18, 2012, 12:39 AM
Fear of a new AWB is valid. Obama has said he wants another ban running in 2008 and again in the debates in October 2012 when he referenced AK47s and handguns.

Realistically we are only a bad shooting event away from public outcry and an AWB. Dems control the Executive and 1/2 of the legislative branches. The other 1/2 and the SCOTUS could easily go leftwing.

Most of America watched helplessly as a DEM controlled Congress and President pushed through a wildly unpopular, unread, national health care system (Obamacare), with nearly zero Republican support. That is an example of how anti gun legislation COULD happen.

We gun owners and the 2A are incredibly LUCKY to have survived with individual rights intact. There were TWO lucky events that saved gun rights in the last 10 years, both credited to George Bush.

1. AWB sunset - luckily there was a sunset clause and Bush (despite saying he'd re-sign it) would not have re-signed it and it never made it to him.

2. SCOTUS appoinments Roberts and Alito, both in the majority in US v. Heller that saved gun rights.

IF we had Obama in office at the time, the 2A would be a distant memory.

Just remember that.

bushmaster1313
November 18, 2012, 01:28 AM

How true

Fremmer
November 18, 2012, 08:45 AM
Obama isn't our best anything.

W.E.G.
November 18, 2012, 08:52 AM
Once every Bubba has three case of ammo under his bed, ammo prices will come back down to levels appropriate to inflation levels, and whatever is the general level of Ponzi-economics.

Supply of EBR's still seems to be holding - especially as hoarders of recent years churn their collections on the auction and forum sites.

Give it it 6-10 months, and everything will settle down.

...unless "something happens" during that interval.

In that case, all bets are off.

Rub your crystal ball, and make a call.

bushmaster1313
November 18, 2012, 06:45 PM
I am more worried about ammo getting so expensive that it will no longer be fun to shoot.

If I have it I will enjoy it.

nwilliams
November 18, 2012, 07:58 PM
At the gun shop today a guy picked up a transfer of an M&P-15 and as I was writing him up for the transaction I mentioned that it should be a fun shooter. His response,

"I don't plan on ever shooting it I don't even really like AR's, I'm getting it as an investment so I can sell it for twice the money if there's another ban."

I just responded "ok" and in my mind I was thinking what a waste of a perfectly good rifle. All this guy is doing is preventing someone else from buying this gun who would actually shoot it and have fun with it.

dark.zero.x
November 18, 2012, 08:02 PM
Fear sells, it's what drives our economy. Just look at the twinkies, they go belly up and people buy entire shelves of the stuff. Same goes for almost every product on the planet. The fear of a shortage, and the the fear alone, drives prices to insane levels. Gas, ammo, twinkies, all the same.

Soon gun control will be irrelevant, the prices of weapons and ammunition will be the death of us.

Warp
November 18, 2012, 08:24 PM
At the gun shop today a guy picked up a transfer of an M&P-15 and as I was writing him up for the transaction I mentioned that it should be a fun shooter. His response,

"I don't plan on ever shooting it I don't even really like AR's, I'm getting it as an investment so I can sell it for twice the money if there's another ban."

I just responded "ok" and in my mind I was thinking what a waste of a perfectly good rifle. All this guy is doing is preventing someone else from buying this gun who would actually shoot it and have fun with it.

There are plenty to go around. I doubt he is preventing anybody from buying anything.

JustinJ
November 19, 2012, 08:47 AM
Realistically we are only a bad shooting event away from public outcry and an AWB.

I once thought the same thing but the Colorado theater shooting had essentially no impact on public opinion.

Double Naught Spy
November 19, 2012, 11:14 AM
While the Democrats can do some harm, Obama can't do much by himself. After all the hand wringing and whining after he was elected in 2008, not to mention all the claims the sky would fall before he was elected if he was elected, he would ban all ____ (AWs, handguns, semis, etc.) his first year.
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=412867&page=2&highlight=obama+first+goal

We would be much better off spending out time actually paying attention to legislation than running around chasing our tales and waling about how the Obama boogieman is going to take our guns in the middle of the night based on rumors, caveats (like those stated by the likes of Reagan, Bush, etc. that don't bother us), and general rampant paranoia.

I really liked it that once Obama didn't ban everything with his first day or year in office that folks came up with all sorts of reasons why he didn't, despite being some of the same folks saying it was virtually a sure thing originally.

If you are wasting time on paranoid rumors and such, then you aren't likely to be working productively toward a proper solution to protecting our rights.

Warp
November 19, 2012, 12:44 PM
Fear of a new AWB is valid. Obama has said he wants another ban running in 2008 and again in the debates in October 2012 when he referenced AK47s and handguns.

Realistically we are only a bad shooting event away from public outcry and an AWB. Dems control the Executive and 1/2 of the legislative branches. The other 1/2 and the SCOTUS could easily go leftwing.

Most of America watched helplessly as a DEM controlled Congress and President pushed through a wildly unpopular, unread, national health care system (Obamacare), with nearly zero Republican support. That is an example of how anti gun legislation COULD happen.

We gun owners and the 2A are incredibly LUCKY to have survived with individual rights intact. There were TWO lucky events that saved gun rights in the last 10 years, both credited to George Bush.

1. AWB sunset - luckily there was a sunset clause and Bush (despite saying he'd re-sign it) would not have re-signed it and it never made it to him.

2. SCOTUS appoinments Roberts and Alito, both in the majority in US v. Heller that saved gun rights.

Just remember that.

Bologna

coloradokevin
November 20, 2012, 04:35 AM
I think it is obvious Obama is anti-gun. Go stream the third presidential debate if you want an answer to that question.

But, I think there's a bit of lunacy going on at the gun stores. If you really believed that you needed to stockpile 100,000 rounds of ammo, you probably should have started before the election. If you believe that Obama is going to try to pass some gun bans (he very well may), you still shouldn't believe that it can be done in the next two weeks.

The panic buying is more of a nuisance for most of us. It's the little things that kill me: I'm well stocked on most of what I need, but realized that I'd run low on Varget powder. I use that powder for my .308, and I only have enough on hand to load about another 150 rounds (which is good for 3-4 range trips with my bolt gun). So, I go to try to buy a can of Varget, and the salesman tells me that the stuff has been flying off the shelves since the election, and can't be kept in stock.

I see little possibility of Obama ever being able to get a gun powder ban during his second term, and it certainly isn't on the horizon (an AWB perhaps, but not a powder ban). Still, the stuff has flown off of the shelves due to little more than sheer panic.

kyletx1911
November 20, 2012, 06:20 AM
Sell mortimer sell

Double Naught Spy
November 20, 2012, 06:21 AM
All panic buyers do is reduce inventory for shops and suppliers and cause prices to go up as a result which only makes it a burden on those who aren't panic buying.

And then everyone complains that prices are too high, LOL.

The more I read this thread title when browsing, the more it bothers me. Obama obviously isn't our best salesman. Fear is, whether driven by crime or politics, spikes in sales are driven by fear.

Carl N. Brown
November 20, 2012, 07:18 AM
Yep, nothing but paranoia based on circumstantial evidence.

In Chicago Law School and in Chicago politics Obama was a supporter of the Chicago handgun ban, before entering national politics.

Obama's campaign website called for re-instating the federal Assault Weapons Ban AWB Nov 2008.

In an Apr 2009 media event with Mexican President Calderon, Calderon blamed the upchuck in deaths after his militarization of the Mexican Drug War in Dec 2006 on the expiration of the AWB in 2004 and Obama agreed.

In 2009 media events in the Rose Garden of the White House and before a joint session of Congress, Calderon called on re-instating the AWB and the Obama administration agreed it would be a good idea.

Sep 2009 Obama appointed Dennis Burke (architect of the AWB) to US Attorney in Phoenix. Gunwalking under Operation Wide Receiver ordered stopped in Phoenix 6 Oct 2007 was restarted in Nov 2009 in what became Operation Fast and Furious. Hundreds of guns were allowed to enter the black market (by IG Review 1,961 documented as walking, 105 seized by ATF Phoenix, ~270 recovered by other US agencies in their jurisdictions, 195 recovered by Mexican police at Mexican crime scenes, the rest disappeared into criminal hands). These walked guns have since been used by Obama administration proxies to call for more gun control and re-enactment of a permanent AWB.

When I hear honking overhead, I assume geese not bicycle horns.

lobo9er
November 20, 2012, 07:23 AM
Obama got a big commission check in the mail from Cerebus. funny how dicks started carrying cerebus black rifles and has a "tactical" supply display. And not to long ago it was against there policy to sell "assault weapons"

Warp
November 20, 2012, 11:39 AM
I think it is obvious Obama is anti-gun. Go stream the third presidential debate if you want an answer to that question.

But, I think there's a bit of lunacy going on at the gun stores. If you really believed that you needed to stockpile 100,000 rounds of ammo, you probably should have started before the election. If you believe that Obama is going to try to pass some gun bans (he very well may), you still shouldn't believe that it can be done in the next two weeks.

The panic buying is more of a nuisance for most of us. It's the little things that kill me: I'm well stocked on most of what I need, but realized that I'd run low on Varget powder. I use that powder for my .308, and I only have enough on hand to load about another 150 rounds (which is good for 3-4 range trips with my bolt gun). So, I go to try to buy a can of Varget, and the salesman tells me that the stuff has been flying off the shelves since the election, and can't be kept in stock.

I see little possibility of Obama ever being able to get a gun powder ban during his second term, and it certainly isn't on the horizon (an AWB perhaps, but not a powder ban). Still, the stuff has flown off of the shelves due to little more than sheer panic.

An AWB is not on the horizon

bamajoey
November 20, 2012, 04:13 PM
Obama is our best firearms salesman and the worst president EVER.

mgmorden
November 20, 2012, 04:47 PM
I am more worried about ammo getting so expensive that it will no longer be fun to shoot.

It'll have to go a long ways before that is the case. Even if I couldn't afford to normally shoot centerfire I would still shoot bulk rimfire for pretty cheap.

Seriously though even at current prices I can afford to shoot about 2 boxes of 9mm per weekend for less than $100 per month, and that's factory ammo prices. Any price increase hurts when you're used to what it is and like everyone I'm always hoping that ammo costs will hold steady or go down, but as far as hobbies go shooting still isn't too expensive.

As a comparison, I'm technically a private pilot, though I haven't been in the air since 2007. Costs got too high for me to continue. To rent a plane these days - for a small two seater - is around $100 per HOUR. Figure in flying for an hour or two per weekend and shooting starts to seem pretty cheap.

ETXhiker
November 20, 2012, 05:31 PM
When Obama was a Senator, he went on record as saying that he believed civilians should not be allowed to own firearms. If he, or Pelosi, or Feinstein, or Reid thought they could get away with it, they would ban all guns tomorrow. But they know that wouldn't fly. I do believe an attempt to reinstate the assault weapons ban is just around the corner, however.

Having said that, I think much of the hoarding is somewhat irrational in the quantities that some people are buying. But at least it sends a message to Washington, that people are serious about the right to bear arms. Come to think of it, I really need one of those EBRs.

4thHorseman
November 21, 2012, 12:45 AM
Maybe it is a compilation of several events/ phenomenons taking place all at once. Obama is one, but maybe floods and uncertainty in the eastern USA from the Sandy. Maybe the Middle East problems between the Gaza Strip and Israel, maybe Iran and its nuclear arsenal (soon to be one anyway), the lying to the American people about Benghazi Video attacks, uncertainty about terrorists attacks and how FEMA will respond (don't hold you breath). Maybe it is all of them and more....

Ignition Override
November 21, 2012, 02:24 AM
This is not to contradict the OP, nor any politicians' past voting records or comments.
Nevertheless, some other members on gun websites have the clear objective to actually heat up paranoia or perceptions of future shortages, only because they have plans to sell ammo and/or guns at very inflated prices.
Some still need to break even on what they bought in late '08-early '09.

It doesn't require propulsion or weapons fire control engineers in Huntsville AL to understand this.

If you enjoyed reading about "Obama Is Still our Best Salesman" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!