Black Friday Thread

PDA

GlockFan
November 14, 2012, 11:15 AM
Wanted to start a post where we all could have a place to share good deals next week. If some of you do not know about it, a site called slickguns already has some black friday adds posted.

http://www.slickguns.com/black-friday-2012

Myself, I am thinking about going to Dicks Friday or Saturday for the $179 Ruger 10/22 and $159 Maverick 88. Unfortunately, I have not seen the $15 Federal bulk packs of .22 like last year. :(

If you enjoyed reading about "Black Friday Thread" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
metalart
November 14, 2012, 12:17 PM
Saw this, don't live near a dicks so i don't know what their normal ammo cost is...

http://bfads.net/Dicks-Sporting-Goods-Black-Friday-Ammunition-Entire-Stock

SilentScream
November 14, 2012, 12:41 PM
Sorry having done 5 black Friday's in a row (including post-2008 election) at Sportsman's Warehouse, I can't bring myself to support black Friday sales nonsense.

gfanikf
November 14, 2012, 12:48 PM
Saw this, don't live near a dicks so i don't know what there normal ammo cost is...

http://bfads.net/Dicks-Sporting-Goods-Black-Friday-Ammunition-Entire-Stock
Remember Walmart honors coupons. Yes, I know they say they don't do Black Friday ones, but some do..or don't care about the rule at 11AM when they were working since 6 PM (and best is the store is empty too) and that's how I got a 100 rounds of 45 ACP for $17.99 last year! :)

shotgunjoel
November 14, 2012, 12:57 PM
Remember Walmart honors coupons. Yes, I know they say they don't do Black Friday ones, but some do..or don't care about the rule at 11AM when they were working since 6 PM (and best is the store is empty too) and that's how I got a 100 rounds of 45 ACP for $17.99 last year!
I might have to try that!
Also,Dick's uses deceptive advertising. That actual sale is buy one, get one 50% off. So really you're saving 25%, not the 50% that is implied.

gfanikf
November 14, 2012, 01:20 PM
Also,Dick's uses deceptive advertising. That actual sale is buy one, get one 50% off. So really you're saving 25%, not the 50% that is implied.
That's why you go to Walmart! Discounts off Walmart pricing! :)

It's right before deer season so I think I'll be stocking up on some sabot rounds and 30-06 for the Garand...assuming Walmart has any non-hunting rounds for it.

November 14, 2012, 01:24 PM

I tend to stay away from the only nearby Dick's- it's located in a shopping mall a few miles North of where I live and if you attempt to buy ammo there (there's not much of a selection), the sales girls give you weird looks like you are planning to do something evil.

They seem to be more interested in selling the latest golf fashions and shoes.

SlowFuse
November 14, 2012, 01:53 PM
I've noticed Dicks has about the worst ammo prices around. I participated in their black Friday sale 3 years ago. The prices were inflated.

From memory Wolf Military Classic 7.62x39 was $8 a box, Win white box 9mm was $15 a box and Rem gun club 12 gauge was $7 a box before discounts. Even with the coupon I could have went to just about any other normal place and gotten everything cheaper. So since I already had money set aside for ammo, that's what I did.

I'm keeping my eyes open hoping Palmetto State will have a black Friday AR lower blowout again.

mr.scott
November 14, 2012, 02:26 PM
Buying a gun a Dicks is the worst experience I've ever had buying a gun.

gfanikf
November 14, 2012, 03:01 PM
I've noticed Dicks has about the worst ammo prices around. I participated in their black Friday sale 3 years ago. The prices were inflated.

I know...that's why I didn't shop at Dick's with the coupon last year. ;)

Warp
November 14, 2012, 03:17 PM
I'll check back on this thread in 8 days to see what I need to check out.

Deus Machina
November 14, 2012, 05:53 PM
I work retail. I refuse to leave the house once my shift is over.
I honestly can't see how people deal with shopping like that. It's one of the rare occasions that I feel that I need to be armed.

gfanikf
November 14, 2012, 05:55 PM
I work retail. I refuse to leave the house once my shift is over.
I honestly can't see how people deal with shopping like that. It's one of the rare occasions that I feel that I need to be armed.

Go late morning unless you MUST get a door buster.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

allaroundhunter
November 14, 2012, 06:05 PM
Bass Pro's idea of a "deal" is $599 Glocks and $549 M&Pc's....I think I'd pass on that.... as tempting as it is...

GlockFan
November 14, 2012, 06:18 PM
Bass Pro's idea of a "deal" is $599 Glocks and $549 M&Pc's....I think I'd pass on that.... as tempting as it is...

I saw that and literally laughed out loud....

silicosys4
November 14, 2012, 07:03 PM
$599? Bargain price, says Gander mountain, lol
http://search.gandermountain.com/?Ne=1000&N=4506&cname=New-Firearms

langloisandy
November 14, 2012, 07:14 PM
Absurdly Capitalistic Promo Follows:

The $45/Free Shipping Leather sale at my shop: http://andysleather.com/the-sale (http://andysleather.com/the-sale)

(US only for the free shipping).

Andy

allaroundhunter
November 14, 2012, 07:57 PM
Gander has Glocks for $599 as well...but at least that isn't advertised as being a "sale"..... What is this coming to?.....

justice06rr
November 15, 2012, 02:56 AM
Glockfan, Thanks for the heads up on the 10/22's on sale. I think i'll pick one up finally!

SleazyRider
November 15, 2012, 05:43 AM
I, too, am grateful for the thread, Glockfan, but have this reservation: Let us say that I get up early on Black Friday and beat feet to my local Dicks and stand on line for a 10/22. Is it not true that the customers in line in front of me have to fill out forms and undergo a NICS check before they can walk out with their rifles, and that the paperwork takes 20 minutes or more per customer? How does this work out when masses of people want to purchase a rifle on Friday morning?

I guess I'll find out!

tarosean
November 15, 2012, 07:03 AM
I honestly can't see how people deal with shopping like that.

Im in my mid 40's and have been shopping once on Black Friday.... I dont even think a free gun would be enough to ever get me out on that day again!!!

Chevelle SS
November 15, 2012, 09:44 AM
I might pick up one of those single shot Rossis at Walmart for $100.

gfanikf
November 15, 2012, 10:03 AM
I might pick up one of those single shot Rossis at Walmart for $100.

Great minds think alike! I love that I could get a 45-70 barrel and other big calibers for a fraction of what a gun chambered in them would cost.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

GlockFan
November 15, 2012, 10:50 AM
The 10/22 deal is also good on Saturday. Not sure if they are only going to give you that price with only the stock on hand though if they got cleaned out on Friday.

whtsmoke
November 15, 2012, 09:34 PM
definition
Black Friday: a day to go to the range and expend ammo downrange at paper targets.

primalmu
November 15, 2012, 11:34 PM
You know what I'm doing on Black Friday? Heading to the range! (We think alike, whtsmoke.)

pseudonymity
November 16, 2012, 07:03 PM
Remember Walmart honors coupons. Yes, I know they say they don't do Black Friday ones, but some do..or don't care about the rule at 11AM when they were working since 6 PM (and best is the store is empty too) and that's how I got a 100 rounds of 45 ACP for $17.99 last year! :)

The prices Dicks locally wants for ammo is not really all that great, but there is one notable exception - CCI Standard Velocity .22lr. It is normally $25/500, so last year I picked up 1000 rounds for <40 OTD. It is hard to beat the $25/500 price even online, and CCI SV accuracy in many rifles is much better than the price would indicate.

Ala Dan
November 16, 2012, 09:56 PM
I will not be purchasing any firearms on "Black Friday" in the year of
2012. Why? you asked - 2012 has not been too kind to me fella's; as you all
probably know, I lost the "love of my life" in August. Then, while she was ill,
I had too have [2] hernia surgery's myself (July 23rd, and Oct.3rd); and I
missed a few days pay. Therefore, bills have continued too mount; but with
the blessings of GOD and MY personal Saviour Jesus Christ, and friends like
you all - I'm making it~! Sometimes, I have to choose between eating or
meeting expenditures; especially the pharmacy bill, under ObamaCare~!

I'm not complaining, as I feel BLESSED; the GOOD LORD has taken care of
me. Many of the good blessings I received, I did not deserve~!!!! Even thou
my health is slipping; I'm still able to work my PT job. I do not want any type
of a "HANDOUT" from anyone; especially Mr. President. With all my problems,
this is my BABY; and I will go it alone, as GOD is GREAT~! Thank you all very
much~!

heavydluxe
November 16, 2012, 10:05 PM
Like others, I will be attending our second annual "Black Rifle Friday".

Much better way to spend the day. :)

AJumbo
November 16, 2012, 11:01 PM
From the title, I figured this thread would be mourning the passing of Twinkies and Ho-Hos.....

ol' scratch
November 18, 2012, 08:33 PM
I used to work retail. People act like nutjobs on Black Friday. I hope to be on a train that day. The only people I have to deal with are the fools who run around the gates...trying to get to Black Friday sales. :rolleyes:

accrhodes
November 19, 2012, 02:36 PM
Ala Dan,

If more people in this Country had your attitude it would be a far better place. I wish you the best of luck with your health and troubles.

May God bless.

runlevelsix
November 19, 2012, 07:12 PM
I personally view Black Friday thus:

Calculate the money you "saved" and compare that by the number of hours you spent acquiring it times what you make an hour. I am willing to be the hassle and time spent getting the "deals" doesn't equal what you would had made working for that time, and work IMHO is way less stressful. I actually multiply time by 3 times my hourly rate because I feel that is more representative of what would be fair compensation to deal with a mob but maybe that's just me.

Warp
November 19, 2012, 07:18 PM
I personally view Black Friday thus:

Calculate the money you "saved" and compare that by the number of hours you spent acquiring it times what you make an hour. I am willing to be the hassle and time spent getting the "deals" doesn't equal what you would had made working for that time, and work IMHO is way less stressful. I actually multiply time by 3 times my hourly rate because I feel that is more representative of what would be fair compensation to deal with a mob but maybe that's just me.

If you work from home, and you can work as many hours as you want, whenever you want, while getting paid your full wage for every single minute, then the above MIGHT be relevant.

And I don't know about you, but researching ammunition or scopes or sites or other firearms accessories is not more stressful, for me, than work. The people I know would mostly agree, I think.

runlevelsix
November 19, 2012, 07:37 PM
Warp I was mainly trying to illustrate that work > Black Friday "deals" let alone free time. :) People become animals on that day lol

s9601694
November 19, 2012, 07:45 PM
grabagun.com should have some good ones!

evalero2
November 19, 2012, 07:52 PM
Sports Authority is doing a "Pre Black Friday Sale" on pretty much everything. You buy now, pick up Saturday or Sunday. Just picked up a combo deal on a Mossberg ATR .243 w/ Barska 3-9x scope for $299.

s9601694
November 19, 2012, 09:53 PM
Sports Authority is doing a "Pre Black Friday Sale" on pretty much everything. You buy now, pick up Saturday or Sunday. Just picked up a combo deal on a Mossberg ATR .243 w/ Barska 3-9x scope for $299.
Thanks for this one, i think i might drop in at SA tomorrow to check this one out!

s9601694
November 19, 2012, 09:55 PM
I am planning on getting ONLINE black friday deals.. The deals might not be as great as door busters but if they are good enough, i'll take em! If not, then not..

Yo Mama
November 19, 2012, 09:58 PM
God bless Ala Dan.

Batty67
November 19, 2012, 10:22 PM
Buying a gun a Dicks is the worst experience I've ever had buying a gun.
Yes, it was for me too. I Ruger 10/22 I was half expecting a cavity search and to sign a pledge to personally indemify the store for all eternity. And I was walked outside, store policy of som nonsense with a 10/22!

holdencm9
November 19, 2012, 11:33 PM
Boy, there sure are some old curmudgeons in here. Never thought a little crowd could turn off so many people! :rolleyes: But maybe it is just a little more low-key here in the midwest...

Anyhoo, I am very tempted to go for one of those 10/22's, especially since I have a synthetic stock and original factory trigger from my old 10//22 (before the lawyers had their way...) so I could make myself a nice li'l plinker.

However, the other thing that piqued my interest was at Gander Mountain. I know they are normally overpriced, what do these Nagant revolvers normally go for? I am always interested in cheap old surplus stuff and unique designs...would probably not shoot it. Just would be fun to have. Thoughts?

PS notice the error in the ad regarding cartridge...

It is either that, or go to fleet farm and get another Mosin 91/30 for $89.

RFMan
November 19, 2012, 11:39 PM
Yes, it was for me too. I Ruger 10/22 I was half expecting a cavity search and to sign a pledge to personally indemify the store for all eternity. And I was walked outside, store policy of som nonsense with a 10/22!
Agreed. I got a Marlin 795 at Dick's when they had the rebate, and got the rifle for about $100 not counting tax. Felt like I was being tossed out of the store. And the check! I have a CCW, and they STILL had to call it in, and it took 20 minutes...even though with a CCW at any LGS you are good to go in NC.

I don't think they are ever going to have another firearm I want badly enough to go through that again.

Ignition Override
November 20, 2012, 02:28 AM
Will be on the 'road' Tue-Fri night, but does any chain such as Walmart etc ever offer steep discounts (off normal prices) as late as Saturday on Marlin 60s, by chance?

s9601694
November 20, 2012, 01:42 PM
I can't stand Dicks. I am a legal permanent resident (green card holder). I have a CC Permit, pay taxes, am protected by the Constitution, etc etc.

HOWEVER, i cannot buy ammo at Dicks.. They only sell ammo to Citizens..

Ala Dan
November 20, 2012, 03:13 PM
Greeting's All-

Many thanks to all members for their kind word's; its what makes THR, we
are family. Please don't worry a'bout me, I will be fine. Actually GOD grant
it, I hope to be able too work my PT job on "Black Friday" and the following
Saturday~! So, maybe I can help you folks get some good deals~? May GOD
BLESS you all~!

holdencm9
November 20, 2012, 04:08 PM
I can't stand Dicks. I am a legal permanent resident (green card holder). I have a CC Permit, pay taxes, am protected by the Constitution, etc etc.

HOWEVER, i cannot buy ammo at Dicks.. They only sell ammo to Citizens..

That is annoying. I hate how you have to click that box before swiping a credit card, and always wonder, if you were some terrorist here illegally, would you really be afraid to just lie? But of course, just like every other "control" law, it isn't the criminals that suffer but law-abiding non-citizens such as yourself get screwed.

s9601694
November 20, 2012, 05:43 PM
That is annoying. I hate how you have to click that box before swiping a credit card, and always wonder, if you were some terrorist here illegally, would you really be afraid to just lie? But of course, just like every other "control" law, it isn't the criminals that suffer but law-abiding non-citizens such as yourself get screwed.
Yeah and guess who still isn't buying ammo (or anything else) at dicks after he pledges Allegiance to the Flag and becomes a Citizen?

SSN Vet
November 20, 2012, 05:48 PM
I think I'll be sleeping off my Thursday overeating on the couch :neener:

May take the kiddies ice skating after that and try to burn a few of the calories.

Fighting mobs and traffic at retail stores...... um.... NOT!

MidwayUSA looks like they're having some on line specials... but not a lot of extra income these days....

with the "Affordable Care Joke... I mean Act... cited as the direct cause for a 28% increase in health insurance premiums come January.

Just when I'm thinking I can't afford it any more an would be better off squirling away that money for rainy days.... the gub'ment is making it manditory.

wacki
November 21, 2012, 11:25 PM
deleted

fanchisimo
November 21, 2012, 11:27 PM
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=685211

Lincoln4
November 21, 2012, 11:44 PM
Did you notice on the Nagant it also says "After $25 mail in rebate"? I saw a Cabelas add also for $99, no mail in rebate required...

holdencm9
November 22, 2012, 03:00 AM
Lincoln4, thanks for the heads up!

I did not see the Nagant at Cabela's when I first looked, but I was looking at the leaked online version. Now I have the hard copy and paged through it...$99 without the mail-in rebate wins hands down!

endebt
November 22, 2012, 11:03 AM
Can u believe that there is no ammo on sale for Black Friday in Waco Texas. Went in to Mart to drink coffe with the Dead Peker club and got a paper. Got home looking at adds no ammo an only a few guns at acadamy. I guess i will have to wait till Sat. and buy at Market Hall. Have a good day and say a prayer for our troops.

Warp
November 22, 2012, 11:40 AM
I don't expect ammo to be on sale.

s9601694
November 22, 2012, 02:21 PM
Buds Gun Shop has a box of 20 5.56 Federal for sale for $7.99 that's $160 for a case of 1000!

Don't know if its a Black Friday deal but pretty good deal either way!

Warp
November 22, 2012, 02:49 PM
Buds Gun Shop has a box of 20 5.56 Federal for sale for $7.99 that's $160 for a case of 1000!

Don't know if its a Black Friday deal but pretty good deal either way!

That's a normal price, and it is NOT $160 for a case of 1,000.

It's $400 a case, plus shipping, plus the credit card fee.

Not a good deal.

s9601694
November 22, 2012, 02:50 PM
ok well good deal imo

Warp
November 22, 2012, 02:56 PM
ok well good deal imo

It's average.

s9601694
November 22, 2012, 02:58 PM
It's average.
Really? i usually end up paying around $300! Mind helping a bro out and tell me where you normally order? (or PM me for the sake of not highjacking this thread)

Thanks!!

Warp
November 22, 2012, 03:08 PM
Really? i usually end up paying around $300! Mind helping a bro out and tell me where you normally order? (or PM me for the sake of not highjacking this thread)

Thanks!!

$400+ for a case is average.

You won't be able to find a case of brass case 5.56 for $300 right now.

If you can, by all means, PM me with the source. :)

s9601694
November 22, 2012, 03:37 PM
OK, let me explain myself.. I have been smoking a turkey from 8am today and decided that that can't go without a beer.. as a result I totally messed up my math with this whole deal! Sorry, my mistake, scratch that whole twisted math thing in my earlier posts.. im going back to my turkey

@warp: try freedom munitions, they will sell a case of 1000 for like $350

Warp
November 22, 2012, 04:22 PM
PSA has Geissle SSA for $150 and SSA-E for $180.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/black-friday-ar-parts-sale.html

OK, let me explain myself.. I have been smoking a turkey from 8am today and decided that that can't go without a beer.. as a result I totally messed up my math with this whole deal! Sorry, my mistake, scratch that whole twisted math thing in my earlier posts.. im going back to my turkey

@warp: try freedom munitions, they will sell a case of 1000 for like $350

I'm being very un-smart today myself. I went all the way through placing an order after triple checking it and then realized it was only 500 rounds and not 1,000. Cancelled immediately.

Their M193 is $344/1k. I'd rather spend the money for a known-quantity from one of the major manufacturers, but thanks anyway, I'll bookmark them and kee pan eye

holdencm9
November 22, 2012, 06:20 PM
You won't be able to find a case of brass case 5.56 for $300 right now.

Agreed, the latest nearest thing I saw was a case of .223 from Fleet Farm for $300. Cabela's has 500 rounds cans of American Eagle .223 for $160...so $320 for 1000...good but not great.

obteene
November 22, 2012, 09:36 PM
Allah bless God Dan

InkEd
November 22, 2012, 10:02 PM
The .50cal ammo cans at Bass Pro are ACTUALLY .30cal ammo cans. LAME!

They measure 11"x7"x4". Glad I read the ad again before getting up early.

Just a FYI before anyone else makes the mistake that I almost made tomorrow morning.

larryh1108
November 22, 2012, 11:33 PM
For any CT residents:

http://hoffgun.com/SP-BlackFriday2012.htm

Impureclient
November 22, 2012, 11:59 PM
Just a FYI. Allah = God in Arabic. In other words, same thing.

tsmith247
November 23, 2012, 04:23 AM
picked up cmmg 300 blackout upper at elite tactical (http://www.elitetacticalcomponents.com) black friday sale

beatledog7
November 23, 2012, 11:15 AM
The best BF deal would be if an on-line store would offer to waive the hazmat fee (aka pay it themselves) on orders over, say, $200. Alas, no joy on that one.

Looks like I'll be braving the HRBT on Saturday for the SGK show and twice/year Bass Pro run. Sometimes I wonder why I bother since it'll cost me as much in gasoline, show entry, and lunch as I would have spent paying the hazmat fee on line. But it's a day knocking elbows with other shooters...

marinetowgunner
November 23, 2012, 11:35 AM
Sport Optics is doing $225 off Swarovski EL's and SLC's

Swarovski Binoculars (http://www.sportoptics.com/Swarovski-Binoculars.aspx)

They also have their Swarovski ATM/STM spotting scope packages marked dow $200

Swarovski Spotting Scopes (http://www.sportoptics.com/Swarovski-Spotting-Scopes.aspx)

Walkalong
November 23, 2012, 01:10 PM
That is where I am headed now. The only black friday shopping I did was this shooting mat (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/276544/midwayusa-pro-series-competition-shooting-mat-pvc-coated-polyester-olive-drab). It was 29.99 yesterday. It was 45.99 all week until yesterday when it changed. Guess it went back today. Bummer. At 29.99 I couldn't pass it up. A fellow THR member from our range told me it would be on sale for black friday for $30. I am glad I checked it yesterday, and didn't wait for today to check. I'm gonna shoot an F Class match for the first time ever in February.

Reloadron
November 23, 2012, 02:44 PM
Noticed Dick's was selling the standard Ruger 10/22 for $179 on Friday and Saturday.

So yesterday morning (Thanksgiving Day) having morning coffee and talking to my wife. I never bother with Black Friday anything. Looking through the sales flyers in the paper and noticed Gander Mountain was selling the American Eagle 55 grain .223, 1,000 round cans for $349 (Cans may vary by location). They open at 9 AM.

Thinking I don't really need 1,000 rounds of .223 but what the hell. My wife asked if it was a good deal and I said good, not great but good. She suggested I get some and Gander Mountain is about a 15 min ride in traffic. I figure what the heck and decide to go. I got there at about 9:05 just after opening and it wasn't bad at all. Grabbed my boolits and checked out. I was home before 9:30 from my great shopping experience.

They were also selling the Nagant Revolvers for $100 and a few people were looking at them but I grabbed my can and left. I get home and my wife tells me I should have bought two. Go figure! :) I was not about to venture out again. For the hundred bucks I should have grabbed a Nagant just for the heck of it.

Anyway, once I shoot my way through this stuff I'll have more .223 brass to load. I guess I'll never say never as to getting myself out and about on a holiday to shop.

Now in other shopping news:

Cops: Mass. bargain-hunter took home TV, left 2-year-old boy behind... (http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/11/23/15389291-cops-mass-bargain-hunter-took-home-tv-left-2-year-old-boy-behind?lite)

Not quite sure how you manage that trick?

Ron

JTHunter
November 23, 2012, 05:09 PM
These people had advertised ammo at "buy one, get 2nd (of = or lesser value) 50% off", so I went in to check it out. Having a new-to-me .357 was looking for some HD/SD ammo and more of the same for my mother's .38 Special.

:cuss::fire: ALL THEY HAD WAS FMJ-FP & LRN "TARGET" AMMO!! :barf:

Walked out and went elsewhere. :rolleyes:

Ky Larry
November 23, 2012, 06:53 PM
Black Friday sales are mostly the classic "Bait and Switch" con.Merchants advertise a very low price on an item to get you in the store. That's the bait. When you try to buy it, you're told "We just sold out of that item but we have this item that almost identical but costs more." That's the switch. Sportsmans Warehouse did this con today. They advertised a Hornady Lock'N'Load powder dispenser for $159.98. When my stepson tried to buy one 3 minutes after the store opened he was told they had already sold out. J.C. Penneys did the same thing to my wife this morning with a coffee maker. If we stopped acting like greedy children, merchants would stop running this con. In the words of the great H.L.Mencken:"Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people."

floorit76
November 24, 2012, 08:36 PM
A friend talked me into doing the "midnight door buster" deal at Dick's. We got there at 10pm and were about 30 people away from the door. By midnight the crowd was large and unruly. Some you punks tried to jump the line, and one older fella in front of us yelled them back, but not before my friend and I unzipped our coats to lend assistance (physically, not gun related). When the doors opened, the back of the line decided that they should come in too, lots of pushing. Oue reward was a Remington 700 adl/sps varmint in 308 for $350, after a $100 mail in rebate. It did however take until 3am to get checked out, and 4am to get home. I doubt I ever do it agian.

holdencm9
November 25, 2012, 01:07 PM
Well I woke up and went to Cabela's at 5am....the crowd was big but friendly. Took about 10 minutes to get in, I grabbed my two 500rnd ammo cans of .223 for $159 apiece and browsed a bit. Was tempted to look at the Nagant revolvers but they were already about 30-deep with their ticket number system, so I just checked out. I was out by about 5:30.

Then on my way back I swung by Dick's for their 2-for-1.5 deal. Unfortunately only 2 boxes of the brand I wanted left. Oh well. They actually had 3 10/22's left at that time, I took a quick look but decided against it. It was hard to resist, but I will hold off for a better deal and/or when I have a coupon I can use in addition to a deal.

Overall not a bad shopping experience on either front.

wojownik
November 25, 2012, 02:25 PM
My better half gave me a good chuckle when she saw the "black Friday sale" email I got from CDNN - she apparently was pretty underwhelmed by the stuff they put on sale - said its looks like they mis-heard and thought it was "crap Friday" .

Mostly knives and left-overs, it looked like.

Chevelle SS
November 25, 2012, 06:01 PM
I got a Nagant 1895 for $100 at Cabelas

22-rimfire
November 27, 2012, 10:34 AM
Heard on the radio today that there were nearly 155,000 NICs checks (154,873) on Black Friday. The FBI system server was overloaded and shut down a couple times.

gfanikf
November 27, 2012, 04:34 PM
Heard on the radio today that there were nearly 155,000 NICs checks (154,873) on Black Friday. The FBI system server was overloaded and shut down a couple times.
Keep in mind that also excludes places like PA which don't use NICS, but instead uses it's own system.

mr.scott
November 27, 2012, 04:35 PM
I had a pretty good black Friday. I don't go during the morning rush, usually leave the house around 9am. Showed up at academy sports and they still had the Rossi 44mag so I got one and 2 Charbroil grills. In and out in 30 minutes.

Teachu2
November 27, 2012, 04:47 PM
A friend talked me into doing the "midnight door buster" deal at Dick's. We got there at 10pm and were about 30 people away from the door. By midnight the crowd was large and unruly. Some you punks tried to jump the line, and one older fella in front of us yelled them back, but not before my friend and I unzipped our coats to lend assistance (physically, not gun related). When the doors opened, the back of the line decided that they should come in too, lots of pushing. Oue reward was a Remington 700 adl/sps varmint in 308 for $350, after a $100 mail in rebate. It did however take until 3am to get checked out, and 4am to get home. I doubt I ever do it agian.
I bought the same gun last year in the first week of December. $449 with a $50 Remington rebate, $40 Dick's gift card, and $15 in reward credits. At 3 in the afternoon.

You did good for this year - saved about $150 dollars. That'll go a ways toward a new trigger and/or stock. I replaced both on mine after the first range trip, and now have a Choate sniper stock and a Jewell trigger - and an excellent bench gun.

walnut1704
November 27, 2012, 04:55 PM
I had a good black Friday at Academy. Went for the Taurus PT92 for $329. Got there at 4:30 AM, they went through the line and passed out 4473's to fill out.

When you were done they took your ID and got you cleared, then pulled you out of line and in a side door to the last register, which was setup for firearms sales exclusively. They had a gun safe right next to it with the handguns in it. Wham, bam, out of there at 5:05 AM.

This is only the second time I've done Academy's Black Friday, and this was much, much better that the one a couple of years ago.

Skylerbone
November 29, 2012, 12:29 AM
Really sorry I missed this thread on its heyday! I'm one of those few gooberment workers that had to work Thanksgiving and Black Friday but that did not preclude me from firing up the new iPhone 5 for a gander online.

Bought a pair of rear sights from 10-8 Performance at 15% off then perused the MidWay sales (no luck). I got an email from LA Police Gear advertising 15% off and was about to pull the trigger on a bipod. Wanting specs for the specific model I opened another browser window and discovered GG&G was offering 15% off + free shipping on all of their branded gear! I figure I saved about $60 on some gear I've really wanted for some time and I did it all in a single coffee break.

Next year's plan:

GG&G again for some black rifle goodness.
10-8 Performance for the M&P accessories I've been wanting.
Wilson Combat for ETM magazines.

Congratulations to those who saved a bit of coin on things to be enjoyed and to those who didn't pound the pavement I don't blame you a bit. A buddy at work endured 4 computer related crashes at Dunham's Sports after getting off the midnight shift. Went to pick up his rifle after going home to sleep and found out about the NICs crashes as well. Third trip was finally a charm but I suspect the gas wasted took care of the savings.

PS: I just finished loading 500 rounds for the AR at about $25/100 using (expensive) Hornady V-Max and all on single-stage presses. That in addition to the 40 S&W, 9mm and .45 gives me 900 rounds for the week. I reckon that's where my real savings come from and not just on Black Friday.

inkinskin
November 29, 2012, 04:41 AM
I picked up a Sig Sauer M400 MOE enhanced rifle for $867. They are listed for $1100 anywhere else I could find them. It was only me and another guy there for gun sales and he was buying a shotgun. I got there at 4:30 got out at 5:30 with my new rifle under my arm. I took it to the range on saturday and gave it a proper break in. I couldnt be happier.

Posted from Thehighroad.org App for Android

mcdonl
November 29, 2012, 08:04 AM
I got a black friday deal yesterday!

A guy (investor?) purchased a few Remington 700 Varmints for $400 and sold them for $450 (Including one to me....) Not a GREAT deal, but no tax or paperwork needed so I saved at least $75.....

justice06rr
November 29, 2012, 11:31 PM
I got a couple of good deals myself. First was the Ruger 10/22 at Dick's for $179. I got there almost at midnight (went to Walmart first) and luckily got the last 10/22 they had. The line inside at the gun counter was about 3hours long but it was worth it. Bought a couple of boxes of ammo too with their Buy 1, get the 2nd half off.

My 2nd purchase was the better of the two. Over the Black Friday weekend there was also a Gun Show in my area. I went on Saturday morning, intending to buy a CCW pistol. As I walked into the first building, within the first 5 minutes I spotted a pristine condition Glock19 for a low price I couldn't believe--I had to ask the vendor if it was accurate.

In short, I got an excellent condition Glock19 with one mag for $360! :eek: I couldn't believe it myself. It was a used Gen3 model but in brand new condition, practically perfect and no blemishes whatsoever. So I bought a 2nd mag and a couple of boxes of 9mm and went on my way home :D

Twiki357
November 30, 2012, 02:09 AM
I heard a clip on the news today that there were so many firearm sales on Black Friday that the FBI was having trouble handling all the background checks. It was reported that at least one gun shop (I think in NJ) just stopped selling at 1:30 pm because of the backup on the checks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Black Friday Thread" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!