Cap and ball pistol - Kirst conversion to 38 in CA?

PDA

Mictlanero
November 14, 2012, 01:05 PM
Greetings - I live in California.

Well i am getting a black powder revolver 1851 navy by Pietta for shooting and historical reasons.

Down the line i would like to convert this to a 38lc by using a Kirst semi-drop-in gated cylinder where i have to have the loading port drilled out a bit to allow cartridges - for cowboy shooting

This is not a problem in CA?

If you enjoyed reading about "Cap and ball pistol - Kirst conversion to 38 in CA?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Zoogster
November 14, 2012, 01:38 PM
It is legal.

Mictlanero
November 14, 2012, 04:35 PM
Thank you zoogster -

Also, do i have to register with CA state or fed if the conversion cylinder is not permanently attached so i can also use it as a cap and ball revolver?

firesky101
November 16, 2012, 04:52 PM
I do not believe you need to add it to the handgun registry. I could be wrong as I have been many times in the past. Frank Ettin would know for sure, hopefully he will stumble by.

Frank Ettin
November 16, 2012, 06:29 PM
I really don't know for sure. I've never really thought about it. I don't know whether or not I'll have a chance to do some research on the issue.

In the meantime, I suggest that the OP register at the Calguns (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php) forum and ask there. Someone there may know.

Neo-Luddite
November 16, 2012, 07:16 PM
If this obscure and historically interesting tiny little side street of an avenue turns out to be the making of a crime--even in Cali--we will all know where sanity finally 'jumped the shark'.

Sounds like a cool sixgun.

Regards -Mike B.

Mictlanero
November 16, 2012, 07:17 PM
Hey thanks everyone - i will check out the site mentioned!

If you enjoyed reading about "Cap and ball pistol - Kirst conversion to 38 in CA?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!