Sighting in a shotgun

PDA

Brass Fetcher
November 14, 2012, 01:12 PM
A good method for sighting in a shotgun with adjustable sights.

If you enjoyed reading about "Sighting in a shotgun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
youngsait
November 14, 2012, 08:38 PM
Thanks for the good information.

Brass Fetcher
November 16, 2012, 09:48 AM
Thank you for that .. the method will also work with non-adjustable shotgun sights. But of course more experimentation with different loads is necessary in order to find one whose center of impact = the center of aim.

tacxted
November 16, 2012, 09:24 PM
Choose the engagement range you feel is typical for your situation,
that is still close enough such that you have a crisp view of the target bullseye.

Thanks for the info JE223 and great channel btw.

I have one, possibly a few, questions related to the above quote from your paper. My remington 870 has rem chokes and an 18" barrel. I was wondering if it would be benefical for me to sight in with my full choke at the maximum distance (while still printing a group on paper) as opposed to sighting in closer. My logic being that sighting in closer may not be as accurate when I push out to longer ranges. Instead sighting in at longer range would produce consistant results. If this isnt the case would you recommend sighting in close, then moving back and re-sighting? Thoughts please.

Brass Fetcher
November 17, 2012, 06:01 PM
Sighting in at a longer range would be better in order to give the shot pellets time to spread out radially to form the pattern. Measuring the pellets while there are still 2-3 pellets clustered together will make your measurements unrepresentative of the actual shot pattern. Shooting at a closer target is indeed a good way to start if the sights are way off ... but if the sights are somewhat on to begin with, I would recommend sighting for the intended range in order to reduce the time you need to spend on this.

tacxted
November 17, 2012, 08:22 PM
Will do, thankyou for the input

ted

If you enjoyed reading about "Sighting in a shotgun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!