trying to identify a pre 10

PDA

meyek
November 14, 2012, 08:44 PM
I thought it would be easy to ID a S&W out of my S&W book but I found it to be harder than I thought. I usually am too busy to contribute much or maybe most of the time I don't have much to contribute. But I can do a paid subscription as I believe gun boards are necessary.So I try to help.
So back to my question I have a pre 10 revolver I am going to post but I can't date it specifically the serial number is C344258 and the number on the crane is 10156. I forget when counting the screws on the right side if the strain screw counts so it's 4 and a spring strain screw. Square butt 6 shot 38 special CTG. You would think a collector would know but the truth is I see so many different firearms I can't keep them all together even with all the books I have.
I figure it is a pre 10 but I can't nail it down like most I see.
so I couldn't even figure out how to introduce myself on that area so I thought I would just jump in with my question. Hope you don't mind.
Thanks in advance for your help.

If you enjoyed reading about "trying to identify a pre 10" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
FIVETWOSEVEN
November 14, 2012, 08:48 PM
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=372213

Ask here, Radagast is like the biggest S&W revolver nerd.

nofishbob
November 14, 2012, 09:01 PM
Welcome to The High Road!

Good luck with your identification.

Bob

Jim Watson
November 15, 2012, 12:12 AM
Looks like it is out of the mid-1950s.

I prefer to call it a Military and Police like S&W did, but it probably qualifies as a "pre-10" as one collector explained it. It is a pre-10 because it was made before model numbers were assigned, but it is of the same generation as the guns given numbers in 1957-8.

tipoc
November 15, 2012, 02:23 AM
So what you have is a post war M&P made after 1948 and before 1957 when they became the Model 10. Likely, given the serial number you give, from the early 50s. A clear picture would help some.

How long a barrel?

tipoc

meyek
November 15, 2012, 10:48 AM
I really appreciate all the replies

Jim K
November 15, 2012, 02:54 PM
The numbers on the crane and the frame adjacent are assembly numbers, of no interest after the gun was completed.

Jim

If you enjoyed reading about "trying to identify a pre 10" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!