Boddington on long range hunting rounds.

PDA

H&Hhunter
November 15, 2012, 10:55 PM
http://www.gunsandammo.com/2012/11/07/8-underrated-long-range-cartridges/

Under rated long range hunting rounds that is. I have to agree with most of his choices.

If you enjoyed reading about "Boddington on long range hunting rounds." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Art Eatman
November 15, 2012, 11:52 PM
I've never thought of any of those as "under-rated". Not by me, anyhow. :)

Dr.Rob
November 16, 2012, 04:10 AM
270 amd 30-06 are certainly capable. Never thought of 375 that way but his explanation makes sense. 338 was one of those 'must haves' by elk hunters for a while.

I would have thought 300 Win mag would have edged out 300 H&H but we are talking UNDER rated.

H&Hhunter
November 16, 2012, 07:14 AM
I've been using the .375 for long range hunting for over 20 years (and every other distance from the end of my barrel out) its every bit as flat as a .338 or a .30/06. It just hits a bit harder. The .375H&H is a seriously overlooked long range powerhouse.

Art Eatman
November 16, 2012, 10:52 AM
Trouble is, if it's a standing-around deer inside of 300 yards, a .243 is as good as anything. Now, if it's deer to 500 yards or elk to 300 or 400, I'm likely to figure an '06 is as good an answer as most anything else.

At some point in all this argifying, I drift off to sleep. :D

H&Hhunter
November 16, 2012, 12:54 PM
I'm likely to figure an '06 is as good an answer as most anything else.

Shhhhhhhh... Don't let the secret out!

Robert
November 16, 2012, 01:40 PM
I have been greatly impressed with my 375H&H, once I got all the Winchester issues ironed out. If you buy a new M70 have the action bedded first thing. The factory bedding is hit or miss at best.

H&Hhunter
November 16, 2012, 08:52 PM
If you buy a new M70 have the action bedded first thing.

Interesting, I've heard that somewhere before....;)

T.R.
November 19, 2012, 09:42 AM
Boddington typically types the word "magnum" at least 3-7 times into each and every article he writes. I recall one article where he hunted deer in Missouri with a 7mm MAG and killed a good buck at 65 yards or so. Of course he pronounced the rifle as excellent for deer. Sure. A long barreled heavy magnum rifle is ideal for hunting Missouri forests. Right.

No doubt that Boddington is a good writer. But I've never bought into his magnums-are-best philosophy.

TR

hq
November 19, 2012, 05:21 PM
The .375H&H is a seriously overlooked long range powerhouse.

I second that. A few years ago I was looking for a "universal" hunting rifle for medium and big game, and ended up getting myself a Weatherby Mark V in .375. All it took was a day at the range to realize the long range capabilities of what I had thought to be a 200 yard caliber.

The rifle itself was amazingly accurate out of the box and now it's further enhanced by hand-lapping the barrel and mounting everything on a custom, metal frame Accurate Innovations stock. It's one of very few rifle and caliber combos I feel comfortable taking game shots with beyond 400 yards. Hard-hitting, accurate and all I think I still need is a good BDC scope.

I thought I'd need a .300WinMag or .338Lapua too, but now I'm not so sure anymore.

MachIVshooter
November 22, 2012, 02:26 PM
I don't think underrated is an appropriate title.

The .375 H&H is really the only one that isn't generally considered a long range round.

There are a couple of less known entires (.264 WM and 8mm RM), but I still don't agree with "underrated". Those would be more appropriately labeled "unpopular"; Anyone who's used these critters knows how capable they are. I do have an 8mm Mag, and I know full well what it can do.

This article just screams "filler". I guess there wasn't much to write about that month.

MCgunner
November 24, 2012, 04:57 PM
I've often been intrigued by the 8mm Remington Magnum. As I understand it, though, it's a magnum length case requiring a magnum length action which narrows the rifle search. .338s can be had in .30-06 length actions, big advantage in as far as sales go due to the variety of possible firearms that can be chambered for it. Being a hand loader, though, the big 8mm seems like it'd be fun to play with.

squarepants33889
December 2, 2012, 11:55 PM
Maybe the most "unfashionable" would have been a better choice of words than "underrated".

helotaxi
December 4, 2012, 09:33 AM
The 8mm Mag, .264 Mag, and .280 at least would all fall into the category of unpopular. Each of those can thank the rifles that they were introduced in and/or the original factory loads for that unpopularity and their relative obscurity these days. All are very capable cartridges, but capable isn't what sells guns most of the time, especially when you hamstring the thing and reduce its relative capability from the get-go.

Kachok
December 4, 2012, 11:52 PM
8mm Rem mag is good at a distance sure, but it is pretty well eclipsed by the 338 Win Mag that does everything just a little bit better mainly because of the larger variety of advanced .338 cal bullets. If you did not know the 375 was a respectable long ranged shooter you have not been paying attention, high BC bullets with a respectable trajectory in a cartrage well known for it's accuracy, that one is a no brainer.

If you enjoyed reading about "Boddington on long range hunting rounds." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!