If you could only have one gun, what would it be?

PDA

Warp
November 16, 2012, 12:25 AM
One gun. Only one gun. That's all you get.

See poll, above.

Some responses are split based on whether you can or cannot legally carry a handgun. By this I am referring to your ability to legally carry a handgun on or about your person, open or concealed, in public (not in your home, business, or car). If you are able to legally carry in some states but not others (example...IL resident with non res permit from Utah), go by your home state.

Edited to clarify:

This is not a SHTF thread, topic, or question.

This is a "At the stroke of midnight tonight, you will only have the one gun that you select, with no opportunity to acquire another gun in the foreseeable future" question.

If you enjoyed reading about "If you could only have one gun, what would it be?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Inebriated
November 16, 2012, 01:07 AM
Handgun suits my needs much better. More specifically, a G30 or G29. Lot of caliber options just by swapping uppers or even just barrels, and covers all the bases that a "one" gun should cover.

RBid
November 16, 2012, 01:27 AM
If I could only have one firearm, I would have a cut-down duty weapon that accepts full size mags. Ruger SR9c, S&W M&P 9c, Glock 26, SA XD9sc, SA XDm 3.8" 9mm compact, etc.

My Ruger SR9c is concealable in hot weather clothing, and throwing a 17 round mag into it turns it into a duty weapon or nightstand gun.

Sheepdog1968
November 16, 2012, 02:34 AM
I love my 30-30 lever action too much.

wyohome
November 16, 2012, 02:37 AM
870 will do anything I need.

panhead58ak
November 16, 2012, 02:51 AM
Well 1st it will not happen becuase I for one will not give up the guns I have ,but for the sake of your questionmy 1911 with a 22 upper ,the 45 acp and a clark 460 rowland kit would cover quite a bit

clocker
November 16, 2012, 02:53 AM
The obvious answer for me would be to carefully research the laws and rulings to decide between an AR pistol or TC Contender for the platform. Choices are good, lots of choices could be even better :D

Now if you asked for two guns then the second would have to be a DTA SRS or upcoming FN Ballista.

olderguns
November 16, 2012, 05:22 AM
I voted handgun my g29, already have 40s&w, 357sig , 9x25dillon, barrels and a 22 conversion kit so pretty much covers all I need,,, although I would really like to keep my mossberg 500 too.

mnrivrat
November 16, 2012, 05:25 AM
I'm a little confused by the handgun legal/not legal choices on the long guns. If you only have one rifle or one shotgun, what difference would the handgun regulation make as you couldn't have one anyway ? (that would make 2)
Or am I reading something wrong ?

Anyhow - shotgun is the do it all single gun.

Ragnar Danneskjold
November 16, 2012, 06:22 AM
Protecting my life takes precedence over hunting, recreation, etc. And a handgun fits the self-defense role better as it can be concealed and carried most places. A long gun can't do much to protect you if you have to leave it at home or in the car.

holdencm9
November 16, 2012, 12:07 PM
I voted handgun because if I had to get rid of all my guns except one, I would keep my Beretta. It satisfies self-defense, and range fun, and if it needed to, could fill in for home-defense. Right now I have an AR or Mossberg 500 for HD, but then, I can't bring either of those with me when I go shopping.

Warp
November 16, 2012, 04:41 PM
I'm a little confused by the handgun legal/not legal choices on the long guns. If you only have one rifle or one shotgun, what difference would the handgun regulation make as you couldn't have one anyway ? (that would make 2)
Or am I reading something wrong ?

Anyhow - shotgun is the do it all single gun.

What always confuses the hell out of me is people who select a rifle or a shotgun for their only gun when one of the reasons (if not the main reason) they own guns is for defense.

I really, really don't understand how, generally when this question comes about, so many people pick a rifle and quote stuff about how handguns are weak and ineffective...but in my mind, defensively speaking, a gun left at home doesn't do jack crap for you.

So I am wondering what % of people that pick a rifle or shotgun cannot legally carry a handgun anyway, as it would THEN make a lot more sense to pick a long gun, IMO

In the end it seems that a lot fewer people own guns primarily for defense than I previously thought. Or a lot fewer people actually carry than I suspected.

Axel Larson
November 16, 2012, 04:48 PM
I picked a rifle, can be used for hunting most game if in the right caliber and home defense.

smalls
November 16, 2012, 04:50 PM
I really, really don't understand how, generally when this question comes about, so many people pick a rifle and quote stuff about how handguns are weak and ineffective...but in my mind, defensively speaking, a gun left at home doesn't do jack crap for you.

Agree 100%.

I'm a handgun kind if guy. It does the job of defensive duty anywhere. At home? Check. Out and about? Check. There is a little compromise with handgun calibers, but carrying around a rifle would be a real pain.

Halal Pork
November 16, 2012, 04:57 PM
I like rifles. One gun? A Blaser with about 10 different barrels.

srtolly
November 16, 2012, 05:05 PM
I think rifles and shotguns have there place. If I could only have 1 gun to fill all of those rolls it would have to be a revolver like a Super Redhawk in a .44 magnum. Might be a little big as a ccw but can be managed. Also can take some pretty big game with it.

Warp
November 16, 2012, 05:17 PM
I think rifles and shotguns have there place. If I could only have 1 gun to fill all of those rolls it would have to be a revolver like a Super Redhawk in a .44 magnum. Might be a little big as a ccw but can be managed. Also can take some pretty big game with it.

Absolutely rifles and shotguns have their place.

If I could only have one gun it would be a handgun. If I could only have two, the second one would be a rifle.

(Glock 26, Colt 6920)

hogcowboy
November 16, 2012, 05:19 PM
What always confuses the hell out of me is people who select a rifle or a shotgun for their only gun when one of the reasons (if not the main reason) they own guns is for defense.

So I am wondering what % of people that pick a rifle or shotgun cannot legally carry a handgun anyway, as it would THEN make a lot more sense to pick a long gun, IMO

In the end it seems that a lot fewer people own guns primarily for defense than I previously thought. Or a lot fewer people actually carry than I suspected.

You forget about when the stuff it's the fan. All our laws go out the window. All the food is off the shelves. Life as you know it comes to a complete halt. So you want to put food on the table AND protect your loved ones you need to choose wisely which firearm you want. And don't say it will never happen. Hitler is just a fading memory isn't he or are you too young for that.

mio
November 16, 2012, 05:49 PM
i chose handgun. preferably my dan wesson .357 it has 4,6, and 8n barrels the 4in would make it concealable although its not really designed for that. and the 8in can be used for hunting any game even small game with .38spl and possibly grouse or woodcock with shotshells although that would probably be an act of desperation.

anyway it fits self defense home defense and hunting and really could do any of them with just the 6in barrel if i needed to.

Warp
November 16, 2012, 08:28 PM
You forget about when the stuff it's the fan.

I did not.

All our laws go out the window. All the food is off the shelves. Life as you know it comes to a complete halt. So you want to put food on the table AND protect your loved ones you need to choose wisely which firearm you want. And don't say it will never happen. Hitler is just a fading memory isn't he or are you too young for that.

If your first priority is to prepare for extremely unlikely scenarios, at the direct expensive of far more common scenarios, you are doing it wrong. IMHO. But you are of course free to prioritize as you see fit.

gwsut
November 16, 2012, 08:32 PM
Model 12 Winchester!

Steel Horse Rider
November 16, 2012, 08:34 PM
Loaded....

Ala Dan
November 16, 2012, 08:35 PM
I think the handgun suits my needs very well.
You see, my preceived threats would mostly come
from two legged critters; rather than the four legged
variety~! :uhoh: ;)

USAF_Vet
November 16, 2012, 09:23 PM
Shotgun for me, thanks. I carry a pistol, but I generally don't go a whole lot of places preferring to stay home.

tacxted
November 16, 2012, 09:45 PM
I voted shotgun (can legaly carry).

A very thought provoking poll and question. Ideally a pistol and a shotgun, but for me a shotgun is first. The versatility of a shotgun outweighs the convenience of carrying a pistol. There are many other ways to defend oneself (knife, baton, pepper spray, taser, martial arts and evasion/avoiding threats/situations). Too many to rely on a pistol as the only and primary. IMO

Pete D.
November 16, 2012, 10:58 PM
It'd be a 12 gauge O/U. A nice one, maybe a Perazzi.

gunnutery
November 17, 2012, 06:54 AM
Man, I hope I never have to really choose. For the purposes of this thread I chose handgun. Because it can go with me unseen. I'd really prefer a rifle, but a handgun is probably more practical for everyday tasks.

Erik M
November 17, 2012, 11:59 PM
4" .357.

crazy-mp
November 18, 2012, 12:38 AM
Simple,

M1 Garand, "The greatest battle implement ever devised." The Garand is a gun that either you get it or you don't.

dirtengineer
November 18, 2012, 01:04 AM
Semi auto rifle in .308. Battle, home defense, and hunting.

r1derbike
November 18, 2012, 01:25 AM
It would be a Colt 6920.

bannockburn
November 18, 2012, 09:37 AM
One gun-Colt M1911 .45ACP.

stubbicatt
November 18, 2012, 09:39 AM
... for me.

I rarely shoot a handgun. I love shooting my rifles for recreation, and reckon that where a handgun would do well, a short barreled rifle would do better.

michael85
November 18, 2012, 09:44 AM
shotgun for me. birds to deer with defense sprinkled in.

wow6599
November 18, 2012, 09:44 AM
Easy.....12 Gauge. It is the "do all" firearm.
My current favorite is the Mossberg 590A1 20" 8+1 w/bayonet lug.

CountryUgly
November 18, 2012, 07:11 PM
I had to go with a handgun, specifically the Glock G20. I already use it as a carry gun and hunting gun. If I just had to have a shotty I guess I could load it with those CCI shot shells. It helps that with just a barrel swap you can change it to several different calibers too ;)

OilyPablo
November 18, 2012, 07:16 PM
AR-15 in 6.8SPC. Daniel Defense. (or the lower cost way I did - DD lower, PSA upper)

beatledog7
November 18, 2012, 07:56 PM
My choice would depend on the conditions that created this hypothetical situation and the conditions that resulted or will presumably result from its creation. Without knowing what kind of world I'm living in with this one gun, I cannot choose.

Warp
November 18, 2012, 08:04 PM
My choice would depend on the conditions that created this hypothetical situation and the conditions that resulted or will presumably result from its creation. Without knowing what kind of world I'm living in with this one gun, I cannot choose.

When the clock strikes midnight tonight, your selection will be your one and only firearm, with no apparent ability to acquire another in the forseeable future.

What would it be?

TurkeyOak
November 18, 2012, 08:12 PM
12 gauge pump, i have a Maverick 88.
You can use it on rabbits, squirrels, birds, ducks, geese, turkey, and deer with slugs.
It also work great as a home defense device.

musicman10_1
November 18, 2012, 08:18 PM
Of all the guns that I own the one that I would keep in a scenario that left me with only one would be my Ruger GP100 4" stainless .357.

Bubbles
November 18, 2012, 11:22 PM
AR15 registered as an SBR, and a variety of uppers...

luv2safari
November 18, 2012, 11:38 PM
None of the above...

A drilling in 12/12/30-06, scoped in claw mounts. ;)

Certaindeaf
November 18, 2012, 11:54 PM
A lot of unarmed people here until "the end of the world!".. can't really go toting that longblaster down the boulevard let alone into the nearest malwart.

Dnaltrop
November 19, 2012, 02:44 AM
Just one? Well let's make it a Doozy.

Freedom Arms premiere grade, 5 or 6 inch, octagonal-barreled model 97 .454, Ebony grips, (I'd deal with the transfer-bar just to avoid having to keep the chamber under the hammer empty)

Pete D.
November 19, 2012, 05:46 AM
I picked a shotgun as my choice.
My reasoning for the choice is based on what activities that I do most frequently with a firearm.....Trap shooting and upland hunting. A rifle or a pistol is of little use for what I spend most of my time doing.
In the event that something goes bump in the night, I believe that a 12ga. will serve me well.
Pete

guyfromohio
November 19, 2012, 06:25 AM
I live in an urban area, so handgun is the only one that makes sense. Any other choice would simply not be with me when I need it.

45_auto
November 19, 2012, 06:37 AM
A lot of unarmed people here until "the end of the world!".. can't really go toting that longblaster down the boulevard let alone into the nearest malwart.

Truly spoken by someone who's obviously never had to go up against a "longblaster" with his "shortblaster".

History has shown that people originally armed with "longblasters" will also shortly thereafter also be armed with "shortblasters" if they so desire .....

Certaindeaf
November 19, 2012, 08:10 AM
^
So you forsee success using your hands against an infinite number of potential scenarios until the time and place you can lay your hands on your long gun? alrighty

huntsman
November 19, 2012, 11:06 AM
10 years ago I would have picked shotgun without thinking, now it's handgun because it's what I shoot most and the only hunting I'm doing is deer with a handgun.

Warp
November 19, 2012, 12:43 PM
Truly spoken by someone who's obviously never had to go up against a "longblaster" with his "shortblaster".

History has shown that people originally armed with "longblasters" will also shortly thereafter also be armed with "shortblasters" if they so desire .....

The issue is that you aren't armed with a long gun when it is sitting at home, and you are not sitting at home. You are unarmed.

Hawk Hawken
November 19, 2012, 01:36 PM
I would pick a handgun, maybe my sig 45 or my sw 9 large cap. mags

dataDyne
November 19, 2012, 04:14 PM
Even though i love shotguns and am quite adept at using slugs i have to answer rifle
Maybe a good calibre that is easy to find and has good range and power like 9,3

I have no practical use of a handgun

As that dude said: ''a handgun is what you use to protect yourself on the way to the rifle you should never have left''

Yelovitz_503
November 19, 2012, 04:16 PM
Handgun (can legally carry rifle/shotgun) :D

Certaindeaf
November 19, 2012, 04:27 PM
^
Why can't you carry a handgun?
Can you legally carry a loaded long gun into a given business establishment/conduct your daily affairs carrying one?

Warp
November 19, 2012, 06:17 PM
^
Why can't you carry a handgun?
Can you legally carry a loaded long gun into a given business establishment/conduct your daily affairs carrying one?

I don't know about OR, but carrying a loaded long gun is legal in many states. In my state of GA open long gun carry is legal without a carry license, and open/concealed long gun carry is legal with the carry license.

Where I grew up, back in Indiana, open/concealed long gun carry was legal without a license.

However, just because it is legal that doesn't necessarily mean it is practical, for a number of reasons. I have openly carried a handgun (which you can easily conceal most of) tons and TONS of places...but I am pretty sure the police would be called and I would no longer be welcome if I were to openly carry a rifle to any of those places.

There is also a purely practical problem going for carrying long guns. They are often a real PITA in a vehicle. There is usually nowhere good to put them at the restaurant. They are more difficult to use with one hand. They are more difficult to use up close and personal.

For a regular person going about their life, while armed, a handgun rules supreme.

Pete D.
November 19, 2012, 07:06 PM
I find it very interesting that many, maybe most of the responses to this "one gun only" poll seem to go immediately to the SD/SHTF/HD scenarios....which are the least likely of the range of possibilities.
Why is that? The most common civilian use of guns is as sporting goods.
Pete

Warp
November 19, 2012, 07:09 PM
I find it very interesting that many, maybe most of the responses to this "one gun only" poll seem to go immediately to the SD/SHTF/HD scenarios....which are the least likely of the range of possibilities.
Why is that? The most common civilian use of guns is as sporting goods.
Pete

Importance.

Self defense is important.

Edit: Further, for those who actually carry a handgun on a regular basis, I say their most common use is carry. I, for example, carry virtually 100% of the time that it is legal to do so (and then some). That's a hell of a lot of use.

Saakee
November 19, 2012, 07:11 PM
An accurized 1911 and a mech tech CCU for it. It'd be okay for small-medium game as well.

doc2rn
November 19, 2012, 07:46 PM
If its got to be only one gun, I am gonna take the Weatherby in 30-06. Takes care of everything in N.A. that I can think of, even though I am better with my 30-30 Winchester. That extra range is the deciding factor.

JPG19
November 19, 2012, 08:01 PM
A handgun is foolish IMHO. When society dissolves, I'll gladly carry my AR on my back if I'm heading away from my home. Food will not be found on the shelves, but rather in the woods. Putting food on the table will become the most important thing, self defense means nothing if you and your family and all starving to death. My AR possesses ample self defense capabilities and my home will be defended quite well with it. The original post doesn't state that this is for a SHTF scenario, but that's just how I think I guess.

Warp
November 19, 2012, 08:04 PM
A handgun is foolish IMHO. When society dissolves, I'll gladly carry my AR on my back if I'm heading away from my home. Food will not be found on the shelves, but rather in the woods. Putting food on the table will become the most important thing, self defense means nothing if you and your family and all starving to death. My AR possesses ample self defense capabilities and my home will be defended quite well with it. The original post doesn't state that this is for a SHTF scenario, but that's just how I think I guess.

When will "society dissolve"?

How long will you be unarmed while you wait for the end of civilization?

Anything BUT a handgun is foolish IMHO. Anything but a handgun and, for 99% of people, that means they will be unarmed for most of your life.

Certaindeaf
November 19, 2012, 08:11 PM
Look back at the Depression.. "I'll go out in the woods and harvest game!". yea right there won't be so much as a sparrow inside a two weeks.

LeonCarr
November 19, 2012, 09:45 PM
If the world has gone to heck and handbasket to the point that I can only one one firearm, it will be a Remington 870 Turkey Model (21 inch vent rib barrel) with Poly-Choke.

In a one firearm world versatility is king.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

JAshley73
November 19, 2012, 09:58 PM
Warp - I feel like we're getting a lecture here...

I picked a shotgun. I'm waiting on my carry permit now and plan on carrying, but if I could have only one, at least at this point in my life, I'd pick a shotgun.

As another poster mentioned, a pistol isn't the only tool in the shed as far as personal protection goes. And truth is, I've made it this far without carrying and have managed to keep myself out of trouble one way or another.

And if I had to carry, it's legal in my state to open carry hand gun or long gun. And if discretion were required, a "coach" gun, or even an Over-Under with say 26" barrels broken down could fit into a backpack, and carried without suspicion. A handgun would be quicker to employ no doubt, but still either shotgun could be carried anywhere, and be available at just a moments notice.

And pulling back a little closer to reality, the shotgun is better suited to hunting than a handgun. It's also loads of fun to go clay target shooting (a hobby of mine.) And it sure would handle any home defense situation with aplomb...

I can definitely understand others choosing a pistol. I think it would be a very wise decision. But if I only got to have one gun, and the choice were mine, I'd pick the shotgun.

ontarget
November 19, 2012, 10:20 PM
I did not read all of the posts but it seems that hand guns have a pretty big following. IMO if the SHTF I would much rather have a rifle for the long range capabilities. Yes a hand gun would be superior for personal defense but I would rather not let them get that close.

Warp
November 19, 2012, 10:28 PM
This is not a SHTF thread, topic, or question

OilyPablo
November 19, 2012, 10:33 PM
This is not a SHTF thread, topic, or question

Then why else would WE be imprisoned in a place with only one gun? Surely that would be hades would it not?

Certaindeaf
November 19, 2012, 10:42 PM
I'd prefer a cloak of invisibility or a magic eight sided die would some certain specialized situation arise at some unknown time in the future but that's just fanciful thinking.
I would choose something that provided the most day-to-day utility until that oh so special moment arose however.

Warp
November 19, 2012, 10:47 PM
Then why else would WE be imprisoned in a place with only one gun? Surely that would be hades would it not?

It's a theoretical exercise that does a pretty good job of showing where you think your priorities lie.

If you don't like it there are plenty of other threads to keep you busy.

OilyPablo
November 19, 2012, 10:52 PM
It's a theoretical exercise that does a pretty good job of showing where you think your priorities lie.

I actually like this kind of thread, and have no issues with it. Another retort - I actually don't think made up situations, with essentially zero probability of happening are a very good way to establish priorities. :D

huntsman
November 20, 2012, 08:25 AM
It's something to ponder with the current political climate.

For me this is a basic question to be answered in the present and not by what could happen

deputy tom
November 20, 2012, 03:10 PM
4" pre lock 686. tom.:cool:

brnmw
November 20, 2012, 03:14 PM
Shotgun it's just too versatile to not make as my one and only choice to have.

Purgatory
November 20, 2012, 08:31 PM
Yeah, I think I'd have to choose handgun, myself, all things considered.

-But I'd quickly make friends with someone who chose shotty! :D

Cactus Jack Arizona
November 20, 2012, 10:29 PM
I love these types of threads. They're always fun to read. :D

I'd grab my 9mm CZ 75B. 9mm is plentiful and could be easy to acquire. Plus ease of carry/concealment if needed.

Catshooter
November 21, 2012, 12:37 AM
I think I know where you're coming from Warp. It surprised me for a long time how many gun people don't carry. Legal or not really has nothing to do with it for the majority. They just don't think that anything bad will ever happen to them.

Oh sure there are some that would carry if it were legal. But they are in the minority, at least from what I've seen.

It boggles my mind also. But there you are. Nobody thinks it will ever happen to them. And of course the chances are that it won't. To me and you, I think, it's not so much about the odds, but the risks. I'm more willing to go through all the hassels attendant to carrying than to risk what can happen.

To answer your question, I'll take my S&W Shorty 45.

Cat

Warp
November 21, 2012, 12:43 AM
I think I know where you're coming from Warp. It surprised me for a long time how many gun people don't carry. Legal or not really has nothing to do with it for the majority. They just don't think that anything bad will ever happen to them.

Oh sure there are some that would carry if it were legal. But they are in the minority, at least from what I've seen.

It boggles my mind also. But there you are. Nobody thinks it will ever happen to them. And of course the chances are that it won't. To me and you, I think, it's not so much about the odds, but the risks. I'm more willing to go through all the hassels attendant to carrying than to risk what can happen.

To answer your question, I'll take my S&W Shorty 45.

Cat

I've been using this ever since I read it...

Sometimes it isn't the odds, it's the stakes.

But what really gets me is that it isn't a matter of people thinking nothing will ever happen to them, because they are talking about how great a shotgun/rifle is for defense, and about how much more effectively they stop people than a handgun. Apparently a lot of people think they are far more likely to need to defend themselves while in their own home than when away from home. (and then I get tangled up thinking about how you can still use a handgun for defense at home)

It makes an EXCELLENT question to ask people in person, though. At the gun shop, the range, a shooting expo, etc. Once they answer with rifle/shotgun, ask them why they choose to be unarmed. It makes for great conversation. :)

CookeMonster
November 21, 2012, 01:13 AM
Handgun. When you have spent weeks carrying around a rifle, you realize what a PITA it can be. Been carrying a pistol everyday for a couple years. Only time it's been a PITA is when I fell playing basketball with my daughter and bruised my hip/glute. Literal PITA. The convenience of a handgun means it's always there... even while playing basketball at the park.

I'm talking midnight tonight. Not when the US dollar crashes, or SHTF, or home defense, or hunting. In the life I live, right now. I can protect myself or my family in < 2 seconds against people I would otherwise not be capable of defending myself or others against, 24/7.

bracer
November 21, 2012, 02:36 AM
Only own one gun , never going to have only one gun. But depending upon what I m doing I may be only using one gun.

Sharps-shooter
November 21, 2012, 02:59 AM
I did have only one gun for about ten years. It is a sharps 45-70. If i could only have one gun again that would be it. Not because its tactically superior, necessarily, but because i'm better with it than i am with any other gun i own.

mcdonl
November 21, 2012, 07:04 AM
A rifle. I trap for fur and small game. Not optimal for selfdefense but can be made to work, but hard to take down elusive game from a distance with a handgun.

I like the TC Contender thought though for sure...

Pete D.
November 21, 2012, 07:11 AM
basis, I say their most common use is carry. I, for example, carry virtually 100% of the time that it is legal to do so (and then some). That's a hell of a lot of use.
Your definition of use is much broader than mine. Carry is not use in my book. Carrying a saw and using it to cut a board are not the same. I apply that to my firearms....I am using a gun when I am squeezing the trigger. With that understanding, the most likely use of a firearm for most of us is for practice and as a piece of sporting goods.

mcdonl
November 21, 2012, 07:18 AM
Your definition of use is much broader than mine. Carry is not use in my book. Carrying a saw and using it to cut a board are not the same. I apply that to my firearms....I am using a gun when I am squeezing the trigger. With that understanding, the most likely use of a firearm for most of us is for practice and as a piece of sporting goods.

Good point Pete. I know that from 10/15 - 12/31 I pretty much shoot a gun every day of the week unless I find empty traps. I carry, but other than at the range (Thank God) I never "use" that gun.....

sansone
November 21, 2012, 08:40 AM
handgun is to use while you dash for a rifle :p

DM~
November 21, 2012, 08:49 AM
This is a "At the stroke of midnight tonight, you will only have the one gun that you select, with no opportunity to acquire another gun in the foreseeable future" question.

That's easy, i'g grab my Krieghoff and run!

http://www.fototime.com/35A1F5A52508463/standard.jpg

Why? Because it keeps on working for ALL of my firearm needs, from defence of my home and property to putting food on my table!

http://www.fototime.com/DF9341CE4D593BD/standard.jpg

Light, accurate and reliable, it just does it all...

DM

j1
November 21, 2012, 08:50 AM
I find this post a little confusing as you refer to ONE gun but the body of the post asks whether one can legaly carry a handgun.

Is it one gun or one gun AND a handgun?

juanjo322
November 21, 2012, 08:59 AM
I would have to go with a fine 12gauge semi auto, an all purpose, home defense, pigeon slayer and shoots slugs too.. This would do it for me.. Of course I couldn't only have one but if this is what's its about then yea a shotty would be for me

DM~
November 21, 2012, 09:10 AM
I find this post a little confusing as you refer to ONE gun but the body of the post asks whether one can legaly carry a handgun.

I didn't get it either??? :o

That's why i took the quote out of his post and went with it!

DM

Warp
November 21, 2012, 12:07 PM

It's one gun. That's why I asked "if you could only have one gun, what would it be" and said "One gun. Only one gun. That's all you get"

Catshooter
November 21, 2012, 12:18 PM
Well Warp, I still think it's mostly a case of 'it can't happen to me'.

Many people spend more time away from home than at home. And even at home they are too far from a weapon. The Tueller drill shows how you can get your throat cut faster than one can usually draw from close range. There should be the same sort of drill to show how fast home invasions happen.

Bubba weighs 350 pounds, and he and his crew are really angry at you for having stuff they don't. They've done this before. They can be in most houses in a very few seconds while Joe Sixpack sits there in stunned disbeleif, it's all over but the screaming.

But owning and shooting a fine shotgun/rifle is very comforting when you're sitting in a fantasy world that it won't/can't happen to me. "I'll get 'em with my trust Daisy Red Ryder 200 shot cabine with a compass in the stock."

Thing is, that most it's true, they won't ever need a pistol to keep their wife/husband from being raped in front of them. But how does one know that they are one of the lucky ones? My crystal ball is broke so I rely on a short gun and my skills. Both are always with me.

Cat

Warp
November 21, 2012, 12:30 PM
Well Warp, I still think it's mostly a case of 'it can't happen to me'.

Many people spend more time away from home than at home. And even at home they are too far from a weapon. The Tueller drill shows how you can get your throat cut faster than one can usually draw from close range. There should be the same sort of drill to show how fast home invasions happen.

Bubba weighs 350 pounds, and he and his crew are really angry at you for having stuff they don't. They've done this before. They can be in most houses in a very few seconds while Joe Sixpack sits there in stunned disbeleif, it's all over but the screaming.

But owning and shooting a fine shotgun/rifle is very comforting when you're sitting in a fantasy world that it won't/can't happen to me. "I'll get 'em with my trust Daisy Red Ryder 200 shot cabine with a compass in the stock."

Thing is, that most it's true, they won't ever need a pistol to keep their wife/husband from being raped in front of them. But how does one know that they are one of the lucky ones? My crystal ball is broke so I rely on a short gun and my skills. Both are always with me.

Cat

A bit off topic, but that brings up the fact that, IME, most people don't take the simple steps regarding home defense. I think too many people think having a gun is the be all end all of home defense. An armed homeowner/resident should be the absolute last line of defense, with layers of defense other than that to stop/deter/slow down assailants, while alerting you. Exterior lighting, closed and locked doors and windows, beefed up locks and door jambs, a locally monitored alarm, dogs, proper landscaping, etc.

Personal note: I spend most of my time with the computer on the coffee table in the living room, like so:

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g105/austin3161324/Firearms/20121112_172125_zpsfe058510.jpg

22-rimfire
November 21, 2012, 07:40 PM
One gun.... it would have to be a rifle. Probably a 22. If it matters, a handgun would be my second choice... another 22. Third gun would be centerfire carry gun.

Warp said....What always confuses the hell out of me is people who select a rifle or a shotgun for their only gun when one of the reasons (if not the main reason) they own guns is for defense.

The dominant reason I own firearms is not self defense. It certainly crosses my mind. I have a concealed carry permit. But when you limit the ultimate choice to one gun, I go with what I shoot the most and have the most fun with. My life doesn't revolve around self defense.

Throw in a scenario or three and my choice may change. It boils down to I won't own only one gun and the whole one-gun question is kind of mute.

I owned more than one gun when I was 15 years old.

Certaindeaf
November 21, 2012, 08:13 PM
It's kinda odd how this question gets fielded. If one were asked "if you could only have one book, which would it be?" and the respondent answers "I'd not have just one, that's silly, I had more books than one when I was one!". odd.

22-rimfire
November 21, 2012, 09:20 PM
I don't find it "odd", but it is interesting how a person thinks. I answered Warp's question, but I added that basically it is unlikely under normal conditions that I would only own a single gun. I don't like a single option.

Now if the question was "What gun would you carry?", the answer would be Warp's handgun preference and then it would be revolver or semi-auto.

I suspect if Warp thought about it, he knew precisely what gun or type of gun I would choose as my "one and only" based on previous banter back and forth. :D

Catshooter
November 21, 2012, 10:19 PM
Twice in my life, due to finaces, I have been reduced to one gun. Just couldn't afford more. Both times of course it was a handgun. First time a Colt 1911 commercial, the second a Charter Bulldog.

So I don't find the question odd at all.

Cat

Warp
November 21, 2012, 10:25 PM
Twice in my life, due to finaces, I have been reduced to one gun. Just couldn't afford more. Both times of course it was a handgun. First time a Colt 1911 commercial, the second a Charter Bulldog.

So I don't find the question odd at all.

Cat

Financial stress is one potential reason for, at some point, only having one gun. Absolutely.

22-rimfire
November 21, 2012, 10:32 PM
I would choose a handgun if portability was a concern. For example, I worked out of my pickup for three years staying in motels and so forth just about every day. I toted along a single handgun because it was easy to conceal and didn't take up much space. My long guns were stored at my parents at that time. As soon as life settled down, I gathered my firearms and I bought a better revolver (Colt Diamondback 22) which was followed by a Colt Python.

For me it depends a lot on where I live... rural or urban.... rent or own.

So far I have not been reduced to a single gun. Catshooter, your scenario does pose a different line of reasoning for me. I think at this stage of my life, I would also choose a handgun and probably a revolver since I am not likely to be going to the range very often if I only could afford a single firearm.

Catshooter
November 21, 2012, 10:37 PM
If one had only a single gun, because of finaces, going to the range much is certainly reduced. You're quite correct 22-rimfire. And a revolver does make sense for that. You also loose less brass with one. Need zero magazines too.

Generally a revovler can be a much smaller investment if one cares to set it up that way.

Cat

JBrady555
November 21, 2012, 10:45 PM
Remington 870

Posted from Thehighroad.org App for Android

amprecon
November 21, 2012, 10:57 PM
My RRA LAR-6 in 6.8spc.
http://i860.photobucket.com/albums/ab167/amprecon/011.jpg

Infidel4life11
November 23, 2012, 09:01 AM
Wrap,

I would pick a very good AR as my only gun. Ammo is everywhere, parts are everywhere and it can fill multiple roles.

Brian Williams
November 23, 2012, 09:20 AM
My Custom S&W 65 with a 4" pencil barrel and moonclipped.

Legionnaire
November 23, 2012, 11:07 PM
I voted shotgun ... probably a Mossberg 500 with three different barrels:
- vent rib with removable chokes for birds and clays
- rifled slug barrel with scope for big game
- 18.5" cylinder bore for home defense

But I'd be just as happy with a multi-barrel T/C Encore, especially as one can switch back and forth between pistol and long-gun configurations.

TWO guns would be the Mossberg and a Ruger GP100.

bri
November 24, 2012, 06:07 PM
Easy, 870.

easyg
November 24, 2012, 07:31 PM
A handgun is the best answer IMO.
It's the firearm you can actually have on your person 24/7.

Hunter125
November 24, 2012, 07:42 PM
I'd have to go with an 870 as well.

Certaindeaf
November 24, 2012, 08:13 PM
A handgun is the best answer IMO.
It's the firearm you can actually have on your person 24/7.
True. And you can plink and hunt small to big game with one also.

Kevin Rohrer
November 24, 2012, 11:38 PM
It would probably be my Scout Rifle as it would do well for most hunting as well as personal defense. If not that, then my M1a would fill the bill.

Ignition Override
November 25, 2012, 02:28 AM
If ammo costs were Not a factor, my M-1 Garand, which is a Service Grade (CMP).
With today's ammo prices, my SKS with the Tech Sight.

easyg: I might be with you on the handgun, after I buy my first. It will be either an actual Makarov, P-64 or FEG.

huntsman
November 25, 2012, 10:05 AM
True. And you can plink and hunt small to big game with one also.
hunting and SD in one gun is why I'd choose my Blackhawk convertible in 45C/45acp it would be a compromise for CC but I think doable.

splattergun
November 25, 2012, 12:36 PM
Shotgun can carry, due to its versatility.

Titusdrake
November 25, 2012, 12:55 PM
shotgun or rifle. carry it everywhere. problem solved.

Warp
November 25, 2012, 02:53 PM
shotgun or rifle. carry it everywhere. problem solved.

Tell me more about how you carry a rifle/shotgun with you everywhere.

Hunter125
November 25, 2012, 06:33 PM
Tell me more about how you carry a rifle/shotgun with you everywhere.

Serbu Shortyhttp://www.serbu.com/top/superShorty.php

juanjo322
November 25, 2012, 06:42 PM
Nice!

Warp
November 25, 2012, 07:06 PM

How do you carry it during the summer?

Picture of your carry setup please?

Edit: Nevermind. I see that yo live in Illinois, and you are surely just making this "carry a shotgun/rifle everywhere" stuff up as you go along.

Catshooter
November 25, 2012, 07:32 PM
See what I mean?

Cat

doc2rn
November 25, 2012, 07:57 PM
That old Winchester 30-30 goes everywhere anyways in the back of my truck. Its not a safe queen, it was used when I got it from a pawn shop, and it certainly isnt pretty, but it is my go everywhere do all gun. Funny thing is its not even my favorite round.:cool:

CZguy
November 26, 2012, 12:30 AM

That type of shotgun is pretty difficult to control, and shoot with any degree of accuracy.

Hunter125
November 28, 2012, 08:14 PM
That type of shotgun is pretty difficult to control, and shoot with any degree of accuracy.

Didn't say it was controllable, just easily portable.
I don't think the OP made any requirement than your one gun be on you at all times.

David E
November 28, 2012, 08:32 PM
This is not a SHTF thread, topic, or question.

Ok, but why?

Funds?

Theft?

Law enacted?

If it's a new law, then any modular gun would be a good choice. One serial number, many calibers to cover many uses.

CZguy
November 28, 2012, 09:54 PM
Didn't say it was controllable, just easily portable.
I don't think the OP made any requirement than your one gun be on you at all times.

You are correct. The OP made no mention of it. That seems to have originated in post #115.

Warp
November 28, 2012, 10:11 PM
Ok, but why?

Funds?

Theft?

Law enacted?

If it's a new law, then any modular gun would be a good choice. One serial number, many calibers to cover many uses.

It's a theoretical exercise aimed at determining where you real priorities lie.

You are correct. The OP made no mention of it. That seems to have originated in post #115.

Not a requirement at all. The only requirement is that the firearm you select be a firearm you can legally possess.

David E
November 29, 2012, 12:58 AM
It's a theoretical exercise aimed at determining where you real priorities lie.

I get that it's theoretical, but the reason why would affect my answer(s) greatly.

The choice could be a handgun in one scenario, a rifle in another.

Agsalaska
November 29, 2012, 01:02 AM
That would completely suck.

But I will go with a good 357 revolver. It could be concealed, used for most defense situations, and could be used for hunting. I could have killed 2 or 3 doe last weekend with a pistol.

But man that would suck.

Warp
November 29, 2012, 05:46 PM
I get that it's theoretical, but the reason why would affect my answer(s) greatly.

The choice could be a handgun in one scenario, a rifle in another.

When the clock strikes midnight tonight, you are down to one gun, and you cannot have another. Nothing else changes from the 'real world'

Pick a gun.

Hunter125
November 29, 2012, 06:18 PM
You are correct. The OP made no mention of it. That seems to have originated in post #114.

Fixed.
In all seriousness, my post about the Serbu was a bit facetious.

CZguy
November 30, 2012, 02:19 AM
When the clock strikes midnight tonight, you are down to one gun, and you cannot have another. Nothing else changes from the 'real world'

If you have the power to take away everyone's guns, then couldn't I have more hair? It's not much to ask for, and it's close to Christmas.

Warp
November 30, 2012, 11:37 AM
Even though handgun is the clear winner, it was still <50%.

This continues to surprise me. I seem to have been over estimating the % of gun forum regulars who carry.

Catshooter
November 30, 2012, 11:40 AM
Warp,

I promise you you've been over estimating gun owners who actually carry. Boggles my tiny little mind too. In my very rough estimation, I would guess it's about five, maybe ten percent actually carry all the time.

Cat

Gregaw
November 30, 2012, 02:03 PM
I do carry a handgun whenever I can, but in the scenario we are entertaining here I want a rifle. More of the things I enjoy doing with guns rely on a rifle than a pistol.

mberoose
November 30, 2012, 02:05 PM
In a perfect world, probably a relatively short barreled AK47 with a folding stock.

Unfortunately CT is not a perfect world.

Catshooter
November 30, 2012, 02:14 PM
Greg,

When I look at the shooting I do for enjoyment, I agree, the rifle plays the major role.

Imagine though, a home invasion. If one took place right now in my house, I'm armed and have the oppertunities that that provides me with. My wife, my dogs and myself all maybe get to keep living, and living without torture. If I had only my rifle, well that's a game changer for sure.

Keeping a rifle loaded and to hand is a pain in the neck and not going to happen except in the most extreme occaisions. And in Warp's scenario it's just tomorrow, nothing weird has happened.

So while I enjoy my monthly lever action silhouette matches greatly, I 'enjoy' life more with less chances of bad things occuring that if I'm unarmed I can only be the victim of. I'd rather avoid being a victim. :)

Cat

DAP90
November 30, 2012, 02:59 PM
Even though handgun is the clear winner, it was still <50%.

This continues to surprise me. I seem to have been over estimating the % of gun forum regulars who carry.

The fact is, for me and apparently others, carry isnít the end all be all of gun ownership. Yes, itís important. Yes, bad things can happen, but I think gun forums blow its importance out of proportion.

I, like most people, live most every day of my life unarmed. I canít carry at work and donít want to leave a gun in my car all day just for the commute home. Itís not worth the risk of theft. That pretty much leaves weekends.

There a million things more likely to cause me harm on any given day that a gun wonít prevent or solve. All of my near death experiences involved machines yet I continue to operate and work around them.

I have a carry license. I glad to have to right to do so, but the fact is, if I somehow lost that ability Iíd be upset Ė and then go right on living my life.

I chose shotgun by the way. I enjoy my shotgun; hunting, clays Ė those are my main hobbies. That enjoyment/downtime is important to me. It helps keep me sane. Heck, that stress relief is probably more likely to save my life than a carried handgun.

I suppose I could find similar enjoyment in handguns and have the best of both worlds but given this hypothetical, why give up something I love just because of some very low probability events I can only solve when not at work?

Just my thoughts and ramblings on the matter.

If I truly thought it through I'd choose rifle because that would better prepare me for the intended purpose of the 2nd Amendment.

Oceanbob
November 30, 2012, 03:02 PM
One gun......it would have to be a Rifle. Handguns are good inside 50 yards; not so good hunting or fending off zombies beyond 100 yards. A good rifle will do the job close and far.

Warp
November 30, 2012, 04:00 PM
I, like most people, live most every day of my life unarmed.

I realize most people are always unarmed.

But I incorrectly estimated the % of gun forum regulars who live their lives unarmed.

This poll is obviously not anywhere CLOSE to being an accurate cross section or representation of the country. If it was "I do not own nor want to own a gun" and "I don't think anybody should be able to own a gun" would have been poll options.

Gregaw
November 30, 2012, 04:29 PM
While a handgun is often the best tool to have for self-defense in a public place it is far from the only one. Lots of us see other reasons to have a rifle that outweigh carrying a firearm everywhere if this ghastly choice ever had to be made.

It's not really that surprising. America has always been a nation of riflemen. And that doesn't just refer to our military. The second amendment references a militia, which is by definition made of civilians. I'm happy to see that in this ridiculously unlikely scenario that there would be plenty of us with rifles! :)

Warp
November 30, 2012, 04:31 PM
While a handgun is often the best tool to have for self-defense in a public place it is far from the only one. Lots of us see other reasons to have a rifle that outweigh carrying a firearm everywhere if this ghastly choice ever had to be made.

It's not really that surprising. America has always been a nation of riflemen. And that doesn't just refer to our military. The second amendment references a militia, which is by definition made of civilians. I'm happy to see that in this ridiculously unlikely scenario that there would be plenty of us with rifles! :)

Well, based on this poll, 2 out of every 3 gun owners would not have a rifle.

The answer is a LOT easier, IMO, if you get to have 2 guns. The 2 guns question was posed on another forum, and almost every response seemed to be a handgun and a rifle.

Of course, something as simple as using a different gun forum, or even a different sub forum, will alter the results.

Gregaw
November 30, 2012, 04:33 PM
A third is plenty. :)

Warp
November 30, 2012, 04:37 PM
A third is plenty. :)

Unfortunately I suspect that <10% of them would qualify to be called Rifleman. Having a rifle does not make you a Rifleman, as I am sure you are aware.

That's what we need to work on.

Gregaw
November 30, 2012, 04:43 PM
For sure!

Great poll by the way. An interesting insight into how people think about their guns and how they use them.

Mr. T
November 30, 2012, 04:50 PM
I have a concealed carry permit and I would still pick a shotgun...it can do everything! The handgun is handy, but it's meant to buy you time to get to a long gun.

OilyPablo
November 30, 2012, 04:52 PM
I'll carry my 6.8 AR all day long and you'll learn to like it. I can sling it on my back like nothing in front. Handguns are good and concealable, but I like true stand off weapons. Like you stand way off over there until I know your intentions. 25 rounds in 100 yard and beyond deadly weapon, hmmmm....my ONLY choice.

Yes I would like a pistol too, but in this world I get one choice.

Warp
November 30, 2012, 05:09 PM
I have a concealed carry permit and I would still pick a shotgun...it can do everything! The handgun is handy, but it's meant to buy you time to get to a long gun.

Not everything. ;)

Handguns and rifles both do things that your shotgun cannot.

No one firearm can do everything.

I'll carry my 6.8 AR all day long and you'll learn to like it. I can sling it on my back like nothing in front. Handguns are good and concealable, but I like true stand off weapons. Like you stand way off over there until I know your intentions. 25 rounds in 100 yard and beyond deadly weapon, hmmmm....my ONLY choice.

Yes I would like a pistol too, but in this world I get one choice.

I would love to see a picture of you carrying your 6.8 AR to the grocery store.

OilyPablo
November 30, 2012, 05:16 PM
I would love to see a picture of you carrying your 6.8 AR to the grocery store.

I set trap. YOU fall in!!! :neener::D

Warp
November 30, 2012, 05:18 PM
Translation: You don't carry, and if you could only have one gun, you wouldn't carry?

OilyPablo
November 30, 2012, 05:26 PM
I'm just having some fun with you.

You said one gun. I make a choice and you come up with a reason why it's not a good choice. It's a bit intellectually lazy. Rather than stating your thesis and persuading us as to why a handgun would be superior in your limited artificial world, you have people make choices and you take pot shots.

So I'm 150+ yards away concealed and covered, one shot you are down. You weren't even popping away at me (and missing) with your hand gun. I win. :eek::rolleyes::D

That's just one ludicrous made up world. Another might be when/where people have semi-auto rifles in the grocery store. This thread is so silly.

Oceanbob
November 30, 2012, 06:00 PM
Of course this thread is silly..but it's fun and fun overtakes silly all day long. :-)

We're having a winter conversation on a friendly gun forum. I love it.

I have a carry permit and would still have a rifle in this one gun situation.

Warp
November 30, 2012, 06:08 PM
This thread is so silly.

You are more than welcome to browse other threads instead.

OilyPablo
November 30, 2012, 06:13 PM
I'm enjoying it actually. As you can tell, I do not think there is any right answer.

Real world, USA 2012, carry handgun concealed and I would not live somewhere I couldn't carry concealed.

Catshooter
November 30, 2012, 06:21 PM
"A handgun is to fight your way back to the long gun you should have never left."

Very often quoted. Actually, taken as a statement alone, it's quite false. Maybe there is more to what he said. But that is what you hear.

How many gunfights have you read of that went that way? The good guy using his handgun to fight his way to his long gun? I've been reading gunfight accounts for years now and I don't recall ever reading of such an occurance.

Chances are extremly high that the gunfight you're in will be resolved, one way or the other with the gun you have. There is almost never time to go get your long gun. Oh, you've no gun? Pity, that.

And Oily, you have fallen into a trap of your own making. The OP didn't post his thread to try to convice anyone of anything. He sort of wondered how many actually carry in the real world. He can't quite believe his results. You should read what he has written, not what you think he has written.

Cat

OilyPablo
November 30, 2012, 06:39 PM
I've read his critiques on what others have written. I'm not saying he is wrong in his critiques, just a bit of a trap of a thread. He really didn't write much in the OP. People thought SHTF, and other scenarios - because it was so open ended. If that's what he meant, it would have been better to clearly state that originally. On one hand I enjoy the open ended part, on other I don't like seeing people get criticized for their choices - when they have to guess.

If he would have clearly stated. Nov/Dec 2012. Exactly today, no cataclysmic event - well just you can only own one gun ...........

Warp
November 30, 2012, 06:43 PM
I've read his critiques on what others have written. I'm not saying he is wrong in his critiques, just a bit of a trap of a thread. He really didn't write much in the OP.

I didn't say much of anything for awhile, and even then I just responded to others.

I did that (or didn't do that) because I didn't want to skew the results. I just waned people to think about which ONE gun they would want, and then vote. I am not trying to get anybody to vote any certain way.

People thought SHTF, and other scenarios - because it was so open ended. If that's what he meant, it would have been better to clearly state that originally.

I have posted that this is NOT a SHTF thread multiple times, and I edited it into the OP.

But here it is again:

THIS IS NOT A SHTF THREAD OR QUESTION

OilyPablo
November 30, 2012, 06:51 PM
I know you edited the OP awhile back. I get that. We KNOW IT'S NOT A SHTF thread. But that doesn't mean it's still not open ended. All the concealed carry stuff just muddied the water.

This is the scenario you meant (I think):

It's Dec 1, 2012. Nothing in your world has changed. Nothing different today, nothing different tomorrow. With one exception, you can only own one gun. No exceptions. What variety of gun would it be? POLL. Exactly which gun? REPLY IN THREAD. GO.

Warp
November 30, 2012, 06:55 PM
"At the stroke of midnight tonight, you will only have the one gun that you select, with no opportunity to acquire another gun in the foreseeable future"

That's all there is to it.

OilyPablo
November 30, 2012, 07:11 PM
"At the stroke of midnight tonight, you will only have the one gun that you select, with no opportunity to acquire another gun in the foreseeable future"

You must still limit further "expansion" on your fantasy world.

You did it once with your SHTF exclusion. To be truly fair, you should state that nothing else has changed. It's still not socially acceptable to wear an AR on one's back at the library, SBR's are concealable, etc. So to do this, simply state no other changes.

Warp
November 30, 2012, 07:23 PM
You must still limit further "expansion" on your fantasy world.

You did it once with your SHTF exclusion. To be truly fair, you should state that nothing else has changed. It's still not socially acceptable to wear an AR on one's back at the library, SBR's are concealable, etc. So to do this, simply state no other changes.

People understand the question well enough.

Please let it go and let's move forward.

David E
November 30, 2012, 08:46 PM

A handgun is meant to regain control of your immediate environment.

Even if what you say is true, you must survive the initial encounter first in order to get to your long gun.

DM~
November 30, 2012, 09:02 PM

Which is the reason i couldn't choose one from the poll, and the reason my previous answer listed my prefered gun. It's the ONE GUN that does it all for me...

DM

bobbo
November 30, 2012, 09:19 PM
I really think a .357 4" revolver would be best. Cheap to feed with .38's, can load down for squirrel and up for deer and will ruin someone's day if needed.

forindooruseonly
November 30, 2012, 09:53 PM
Definitely a Chicago Palm Protector.

orionengnr
November 30, 2012, 10:20 PM
Okay, you currently have threads with "Only one" and "Only two".

Is this going to become a series, based upon the premise that the .gov will "allow" you one.. or two...or three, or maybe four..and so on, up to "only one hundred?

In my opinion (which has historically proved true), it will go down one of two ways:

1. You get to keep what you have, but cannot buy any more, or:
2. You must turn everything in.

Now, if you are advocating breaking the law, as in, the .gov says you must turn them all in, but you want to keep "one" or "all"...then you have not read or do not understand THR's rules of the road, and will probably not be here much longer....

Jaxondog
November 30, 2012, 10:40 PM
I figure a shotgun would be the all around weapon. Good for bird's, squirrel's ,deer, bear,Intruder's . Yeah, I pick shotgun cause with birdshot, buckshot and slug's you don't need anything else. JMHO.

Inebriated
November 30, 2012, 10:58 PM
Okay, you currently have threads with "Only one" and "Only two".

Is this going to become a series, based upon the premise that the .gov will "allow" you one.. or two...or three, or maybe four..and so on, up to "only one hundred?

In my opinion (which has historically proved true), it will go down one of two ways:

1. You get to keep what you have, but cannot buy any more, or:
2. You must turn everything in.

Now, if you are advocating breaking the law, as in, the .gov says you must turn them all in, but you want to keep "one" or "all"...then you have not read or do not understand THR's rules of the road, and will probably not be here much longer....

When you see a thread that you know you will not like, you can easily avoid it. You'll be happier, as will everyone else. And instead of assuming Warp is breaking rules, why don't you read the original post and tell me where you see government playing any sort of role in the situation. Oh, that's right... it doesn't! YOU brought it up.

ChefJeff1
November 30, 2012, 11:12 PM
I picked rifle even though I can own a handgun.

Specifically, my 30-30.

Hunting......check
Home defense......check
Plinking fun........check

Not the best choice for grouse, but what can ya do.

Old judge creek
December 1, 2012, 12:10 AM
Mine would be a Marlin 1897 Cowboy (aka M39) 22 Rimfire.

gamestalker
December 1, 2012, 03:23 PM
Handgun, because it will cover my SD needs and will effectively do for harvesting game. For this I would choose a revolver, probably a .357 mag or 44 mag..
GS

GLOOB
December 1, 2012, 07:39 PM
One gun, or one type of gun?
One gun, I'd take a semi-auto rifle.

One type of gun, I'd choose handgun. And I'd have some long barreled handguns stocked and scoped in rifle calibers.

Warp
December 1, 2012, 07:50 PM
One gun, or one type of gun?

First line of the first post:

"One gun. Only one gun. That's all you get. "

JAshley73
December 1, 2012, 11:06 PM
Warp,

So was the purpose of this thread was to act as a blind study to see if, in a one-gun scenario, if we would choose to pick and carry a handgun, correct?

No matter, I still choose a shotgun.

But to be a thorn in your side, ;) my wife would have chosen (and has in real life) a pistol. Not from a carry standpoint, but because it's what she enjoys. So technically she would pick a handgun, but probably wouldn't carry. Would that skew the data you're looking for?

Warp
December 1, 2012, 11:20 PM
Warp,

So was the purpose of this thread was to act as a blind study to see if, in a one-gun scenario, if we would choose to pick and carry a handgun, correct?

No matter, I still choose a shotgun.

But to be a thorn in your side, ;) my wife would have chosen (and has in real life) a pistol. Not from a carry standpoint, but because it's what she enjoys. So technically she would pick a handgun, but probably wouldn't carry. Would that skew the data you're looking for?

Pick and carry a handgun? No, that was not the point.

I just wanted to know what % of voters would select an only gun that was not able to be carried.

David E
December 2, 2012, 12:09 AM
I just wanted to know what % of voters would select an only gun that was not able to be carried.

Which all depends on the scenario, which was left undefined.

As a result, everyone applied their own scenario(s) to reach their conclusion.

Seems to me this makes any "data" useless.

3twelves
December 2, 2012, 12:27 AM
Definitely rifle, pistols are useless.

Catshooter
December 2, 2012, 01:10 AM
"Definitely rifle, pistols are useless."

That's funny right there. Somehow, I think maybe someone can't hit the broad side of a barn with one, even from the inside?

You might pause to consider that to some people a pistol has a use. There are sure a lot of them sold for a useless instrument. :)

Cat

Inebriated
December 2, 2012, 01:33 AM

I don't even...

What?

Ignition Override
December 2, 2012, 02:16 AM
Warp: I always find your perspectives well-informed.

Even though your original question does not include ammo prices as a factor, or whether the scenario includes our present stable society or an unlikely mid-term, but possible WROL after a very gradual decline, my choice is a concealeable Sig 232/PPK (.380), or much cheaper Makarov/P-64/Hung. FEG (9x18).

Just to clarify that I've never owned a handgun, but soon will own a .380 or 9x18.
I don't want to be retired in a few years with no handgun skills or no CCW.

Certaindeaf
December 2, 2012, 08:48 AM
Is that why cops and every professional lawman has one on his person at all times? Every animal on the planet has been taken cleanly and efficiently with a handgun also.
I guess you just don't understand the definition of "useless" or you're a troll.

David E
December 2, 2012, 10:40 AM

So the answers distill down to these:

My choice would be a handgun, because...

My choice would be a rifle because...

My choice would be a shotgun because...

Who could've possibly predicted these responses?? :rolleyes:

3twelves
December 2, 2012, 07:25 PM
Ok not completely useless but if you could only have one you could get a lot more use out of a rifle. Out of the 14 years of carrying, I only almost needed it one time.

When stuff gets real you will be glad to have a rifle.

Warp
December 2, 2012, 07:27 PM
Ok not completely useless but if you could only have one you could get a lot more use out of a rifle. Out of the 14 years of carrying, I only almost needed it one time.

One time is all it takes.

When stuff gets real you will be glad to have a rifle.

Maybe. Maybe not. Depends.

sidheshooter
December 9, 2012, 03:40 PM
Back to the top, because I want to play.

6" Ruger GP100, customized by Grant Cuningham with the works (action, chamfered, radius trigger, Robar NP3 plus finish, etc.), but with the SA notch left intact. Cut/crowned to 5 1/4" with pinned in tritium front sight, several extra heights. Accessorized with numerous holsters, and several grips to change out-from stock RB compact to herrett- including a custom polymer shoulder stock kit. Full loading block set of 5 star loaders-plus spares, dillon square deal b with .357 die.

That'll do.

tobenheim
December 9, 2012, 08:51 PM
Now that's an intelligent answer to the question. Well thought through! I'm with you--I would go with some form of Ruger revolver. Maybe SP101 in .357?

Manny
December 10, 2012, 01:45 AM
Though a handgun may not have the capabilities of a shotgun or rifle it does have the indispensible qualites of portability and concealability. Self defense is the use I'm looking for in whatever my single weapon is, any other use is secondary. Out of what I have right now, a Glock G34 or G17L would be my choice. High capacity, the longer slide helps me shoot them more accurately, very robust & reliable, easily repaired by even an unskilled operator and it's 9mm chambering it is adequately powerful for most needs I would have for a gun, falling short only for legally harvesting deer size game.

Any single weapon will have a shortcoming in some areas. The thing is to realistically prioritize what your needs are and select your weapon accordinly recognizing what tradeoffs you've made.

Warp
December 10, 2012, 01:51 AM
Though a handgun may not have the capabilities of a shotgun or rifle it does have the indispensible qualites of portability and concealability. Self defense is the use I'm looking for in whatever my single weapon is, any other use is secondary. Out of what I have right now, a Glock G34 or G17L would be my choice. High capacity, the longer slide helps me shoot them more accurately, very robust & reliable, easily repaired by even an unskilled operator and it's 9mm chambering it is adequately powerful for most needs I would have for a gun, falling short only for legally harvesting deer size game.

Any single weapon will have a shortcoming in some areas. The thing is to realistically prioritize what your needs are and select your weapon accordinly recognizing what tradeoffs you've made.

You got it

Isaac-1
December 10, 2012, 02:25 AM
I think a lot of this decision depends on where a person lives, a city dweller in a state with strick laws on vehicle carry might be more prone to picking a hand gun, vs. someone that lives on a farm in a state where gun racks are still somewhat common to find in the back windows of pick up trucks.

justice06rr
December 10, 2012, 04:37 AM
I legally conceal carry in my state, so my answer to the poll would be a rifle. Either a Short-barreled AR in 5.56/300BLK or an AK47 with a folding stock.

Handguns are great, but if SHTF (and I don't mean end of the world), I would like the added capacity, range, and power of a rifle over a pistol.

Technically you can conceal a short-barreled rifle, or an AR/AK pistol inside a long jacket or trenchcoat using a sling. This would be my ultimate option

Analogkid
December 10, 2012, 09:12 AM
My SP101 .357

Catshooter
December 10, 2012, 09:40 AM
"Technically you can conceal a short-barreled rifle, or an AR/AK pistol inside a long jacket or trenchcoat using a sling. This would be my ultimate option."

In Florida? Oh sure. That'll work. At least for all three days of winter. But what about the other 362?

If things go sudden ugly where you are, sure we'd all like the range & power of a rifle/shotgun. But how's that work out in reality? It doesn't. The only thing that can take the place of a gun is luck. And that's a pretty risky thing to count on.

What you're really saying, and you're not alone in this by any means, is that you have little confidence in your abilities to prevail with a pistol in a fight. This is very common, most people can't hit squat with a short gun and they know it.

Cat

David E
December 10, 2012, 12:10 PM

Yes, but it depends on the reason.

If I lost all my guns in a fire, the first one I'd buy would be a handgun, but it would be one gun of several different types I'd be buying to bring my wants and capabilities to where I'd want them to be.

If there were a law passed restricting me to only owning one gun, then it'd be a rifle.

The OP doesn't state a reason, only that come midnight, you can only have one gun. :rolleyes:

If you enjoyed reading about "If you could only have one gun, what would it be?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!