need some advise on a handgun

PDA

zacatecas
November 16, 2012, 01:25 AM
Hello guys. Im finally looking into buying my first handgun.
Im not too sure what to get but i know what im looking for.
I want a 40 or 45. i like the bang. im mainly want it use it at the range.
I know the bullets are a little expensive. Its ok cause ill be going
to the range a few times a year. My budget is no more than $600. Thanks in advance.

If you enjoyed reading about "need some advise on a handgun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
fanchisimo
November 16, 2012, 11:22 AM
Taurus makes a decent little pistol for a few hundred less than your max. My Dad's Taurus 24/7 Pro 9mm has been a good little pistol. Prolly hasn't had but 100 rounds through it since he got it a few years ago, but it always shoots when I test to make sure it still works. You can probably find something similiar in .40 or .45.

The S&W M&P I had was a good pistol, too. You can get one of those from budsgunshop.com for 450-ish. That would give you more ammo for shooting.

If you're just wanting to hear bang at the range why not 9mm? I understand the need for a bang which is why I'm not saying .22 LR. If you are sure you want .40 or .45 though, don't let any others talk you out of it.

fanchisimo
November 16, 2012, 11:25 AM
And others on here might have to confirm this, but I think if you were to get the M&P in .40, I think you can buy a barrel and maybe something else and it can be a 9mm pretty easily.

TrueTexan
November 16, 2012, 11:26 AM
If you are just wanting to shoot at the range and want the bang, then get a 357 mag

BSA1
November 16, 2012, 12:15 PM
Every handgunner regardless of their experience should have a reliable 22 LR. It makes a most excellent training tool and is fun to shoot a lot without breaking the budget. More trigger time means better shooting skill.

highpower
November 16, 2012, 12:20 PM
it really makes your post a lot easier to read if you use
regular capital letters and stuff like that. if you are looking
for a budget .45 look no further than a rock island tactical
they are a tremendous value for what you spend on them.
other than that, get a glock.

Kyle M.
November 16, 2012, 12:22 PM
I second what highpower says for a .45 get the RIA tactical, for a .40 get a glock 22 or 23

Shadow 7D
November 16, 2012, 12:38 PM
GO SHOOT A LOT OF GUNS
there ain't much past that
other than maybe pay for professional instruction?
better to spend the 600 on ammo and chose the right gun than pick one you don't like

hardluk1
November 16, 2012, 01:41 PM
If your hand fits a CZ pattern handgun well buy a witness elit match. Cost is right . Great trigger , very accurate and if you deside you want a .22lr in the same platform for cheaper practice you can by a 22 upper .
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/GNS-127

Should be able to buy it cheaper still.

MedWheeler
November 16, 2012, 03:01 PM
Hipower writes:

it really makes your post a lot easier to read if you use
regular capital letters and stuff like that. if you are looking
for a budget .45 look no further than a rock island tactical
other than that, get a glock.

Now, how it should read:
It really makes your post a lot easier to read if you use
regular capital letters and stuff like that. If you are looking
for a budget .45, look no further than a Rock Island Tactical;
Other than that, get a Glock.

:D

highpower
November 16, 2012, 09:46 PM
I was trying to make a point.

It's called "sarcasm".

wlewisiii
November 16, 2012, 10:37 PM
Ruger P97 is a good workhorse .45 ACP that is easy to find inexpensively. No, it's not a 1911. It has other pluses too.

If you don't mind a single action revolver then a Ruger Blackhawk in .45 Colt is nice.

OTOH, if you look around a bit and you can find a nice S&W 25 or 625 for under your limit. Most are .45 ACP but you might get lucky like I did and find one in .45 Colt.

chris in va
November 16, 2012, 11:12 PM
"I like the bang".

Fine, but higher recoil levels will promote all kinds of bad shooting techniques. I suggest you start with a 9mm.

weblance
November 17, 2012, 12:35 AM
Im not trying to change your caliber choice, but you should know that 9mm is the cheapest centerfire ammo there is. Its also very capable for defense and very accurate. There is a reason why its the most popular centerfire cartridge worldwide. Perfomance.

MIL-DOT
November 17, 2012, 08:07 AM
Im not trying to change your caliber choice, but you should know that 9mm is the cheapest centerfire ammo there is. Its also very capable for defense and very accurate. There is a reason why its the most popular centerfire cartridge worldwide. Perfomance.

Agreed, the 9mil is more than sufficiently lethal, and economy must be factored in. With ammo likely to increase drastically, and never come back down, any new gunner should immediately purchase as much ammo as affordable.
With a budget of $600, I would say his best option would be a 9mm. semi-auto from either S&W or Ruger. I saw several nice Rugers at the last gunshow I went to for around $300, the OP could then get a full case of ammo, and still have a few bucks left over.

MedWheeler
November 17, 2012, 06:55 PM
I was trying to make a point.

It's called "sarcasm".

Sorry. Sarcasm is (supposed to be) rare on a forum called "The High Road", so I must not have recognized it. Mea culpa.

Jim Watson
November 17, 2012, 07:04 PM
Around here there are plenty of police trade in Glock 22s and 23s in .40 caliber at well under $600.
That will be loud enough and kick enough for that Manly Feeling.

twofifty
November 17, 2012, 08:41 PM
A used gun that fits and appeals to you might be a good way to stretch your $600 budget.

StrawHat
November 17, 2012, 09:39 PM
...There is a reason why its the most popular centerfire cartridge worldwide...

I believe the reason it is somewhat popular is because it is the choice of NATO countries. The same reason, in this country, the 50-70, 45-70, 30 US, 30-03, 30-06, 308, and 223 were all at one time very popular. As far as performance is concerned, many cartridge perform at least as well and quite a few show better performance.

WCraven
November 17, 2012, 10:14 PM
If your going play around with the 45.acp .. then there is notting like firing the round from a 1911A1 gun in my book! after looking around myself i layed away a RIA 1911 G.I. at the cost of $419 new and they stand behind there guns for the lifetime of the gun.

PabloJ
November 17, 2012, 10:21 PM
Hello guys. Im finally looking into buying my first handgun.
Im not too sure what to get but i know what im looking for.
I want a 40 or 45. i like the bang. im mainly want it use it at the range.
I know the bullets are a little expensive. Its ok cause ill be going
to the range a few times a year. My budget is no more than $600. Thanks in advance.
Guy had something of perfection in cabinet at last LGS. Gen 2 G21 in plastic box with papers for cool $400. These are very accurate (hexagonal not pentagonal rifling like on other G models I was told), low maintenance and long-lasting.

guyfromohio
November 17, 2012, 10:39 PM
$600 gives you tons of options from good manufacturers ....Glock, Sig, SA, S&W, CZ, Ruger, and Beretta.

Fremmer
November 17, 2012, 10:49 PM
Police trade in, the glock 40? There are some really good deals out there.

DaisyCutter
November 18, 2012, 11:51 AM
Get a .22lr handgun of some sort. Shoot it, build confidence, look and see what appeals to you after you have some experience. Then buy what YOU know YOU want.

otasan56
November 18, 2012, 05:33 PM
I'd get a Glock Model 22 in .40 S&W caliber.

Hit_Factor
November 18, 2012, 05:37 PM
"I like the bang".

Fine, but higher recoil levels will promote all kinds of bad shooting techniques. I suggest you start with a 9mm.

Ditto

Sent by someone using something.

Hit_Factor
November 18, 2012, 05:45 PM
Guy had something of perfection in cabinet at last LGS. Gen 2 G21 in plastic box with papers for cool $400. These are very accurate (hexagonal not pentagonal rifling like on other G models I was told), low maintenance and long-lasting.

It's think polygonal rifling is the correct term. Isn't all Glock rifling the same? From what I have read odd numbered rifling 5 sets of grooves vs. 6 would be more accurate due to evenly distributed forces on the bullet. Even numbered tends to concentrate forces. Lots of science that I can comprehend but not explain.

Sent by someone using something.

phil dirt
November 18, 2012, 06:13 PM
Browning Hi Powers are very cool, too. They can be had in both 9MM and .40 caliber. I'm only familiar with the 9MM, but a friend of mine has one in .40 S&W, and he swears it is the perfect pistol for that caliber.

zorro45
November 18, 2012, 09:53 PM
I would suggest checking out the Springfield XD in 9mm, with the $ you save you will be able to get 1000 rounds of practice ammunition.

ArchAngelCD
November 18, 2012, 10:58 PM
Or even a .22 if you want to learn how to shoot well...

budman46
November 20, 2012, 03:31 PM
daisycutter has a point, get a .22rf, learn to shoot it. take the balance of the $600 and buy a used rossi/taurus/s&w .38 spec., plenty of bang, accurate, cheap to shoot...or better yet, spend the balance on .22rf ammo, take your time and get lots better! when you are a decent shot, decide what you want and go from there.

auto-loaders are nice, but learn to shoot first...spray and pray is not a good survival tactic.

thecarfarmer
November 21, 2012, 01:50 AM
If the OP is set on a gun with louder report, I guess a .22LR is out of the question... I bought my little beater Ruger Std. for $140 a couple years back because for the difference in price between ten $18 boxes of 50 rounds, and one $20 box of 500 rounds, I could recoup the price by the time I'd shot 500 rounds - which was a really inexpensive way to pick up a lot of practice.

Jus' sayin'...

Also, I'd jump on the band wagon of trying out guns before buying. I shot my friend John's Ruger, and liked it a whole lot; it just flat out fit. So when I found one in a gun store, I knew I'd like it.

I didn't do that when I bought my G21, but I got it cheap enough that I could just flip it if I didn't like it. I didn't really like shooting my buddy's G19, and thought I was going to just sell for a modest profit. I liked the gun, and made it my EDC piece. Go figure.

But, I wouldn't recommend a person spending $$$ on a gun that he isn't sure he's gonna' like, unless he can get his cash (and maybe more) back out real quick and easy.

As far as other non-.22LR guns go, how 'bout a wheelgun chambered in .357? Gives the opportunity to shoot .38 also. $600 will buy a guy a pretty darn nice revolver if he shops around!

One other thing... I haven't shot any guns chambered in 7.62 X 25; it's supposed to be a zesty little round with a snappy report and cool looking fireball - a fun thing to shoot. (not that I'd necessarily recommend a guy pick up a gun chambered in a slightly oddball caliber as a first piece, but heck, my first pistol purchased was chambered in Makarov).

Anybody have any experience with this? This might be another thing for the OP to look into.

-Bill

If you enjoyed reading about "need some advise on a handgun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!