Leupold durability?

PDA

CoyoteSix
November 16, 2012, 03:30 PM
Hey all, I've heard of Leupold being some of the most well built scopes around. But can most Leupold scopes stand up to being placed in a soft case in the back of jeep on plinking and offroading trips?

http://www.leupold.com/hunting-shooting/scopes/rimfireultralight-riflescopes/

Thinking of this^^

Thanks all.

If you enjoyed reading about "Leupold durability?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Sniper66
November 16, 2012, 04:01 PM
Yep...get a hard case. We have several rifles that ride in the back of my brother's pick up as we cruise the pastures in search of coyotes and p-dogs. His are all in hard cases, mine in soft and we have lots of Leupolds. They are indeed durable, but we take extra precautions with the rilfes in soft cases, such as making sure we don't have other gear piled on top or that they get thrown around. So far, so good.

Ala Dan
November 16, 2012, 09:07 PM
I can't speak to the durability of Leupold scopes when dropped, or banged
around in the back of a pick'em up truck; but I sell a lot of them. Leupold
and Nikon products (scopes, bios, cameras, etc) are as well made as those
products coming out of Germany. German glass is known to be crystal clear,
but can get really expensive in a big hurry. I don't hunt, but I use a pair of
Leupold "green ring" Cascades [bios] for other endeavors; and never had a
problem with them. As a matter of fact, I would highly recommend them for
any type use~! :cool: ;) :D

hardluk1
November 17, 2012, 02:39 PM
Nothing special about rideing in a soft case in a jeep. I have a 36 year old bushnell and a 20 year old simmons atecs that been bashed buy by airline luggage handelers. hauled open in swamp buggies, airboats and 4x4s. i have a buddy get his off the plane and his luppy vx-3 was junk. Another that took a 22 foot drop froma tree stand onto the rifles butt and fell flat over. Worked just fine. Luck of the draw.

jmr40
November 17, 2012, 05:55 PM
Leupold scopes earned their reputation for toughness for a reason. Guides who take hunters into rugged terrain on horseback or use their scopes often in bad weather see far fewer problems with them than other brands. Hit anything hard enough in the right place and it will fail, but you have better odds with Leupold.

That said, the ultralights do not have the same reputaion as the other models. If you want rugged, look at the fixed powers, then either the VX-2's or VX-3's. The ultra lights are only a couple of oz lighter than the others and not worth the risk in my opinion.

CoyoteSix
November 18, 2012, 12:51 AM
@JMR40 Ultralight must've been the link I posted. I was really interested in their rimfire scopes. I want an optic on my .22lr utility rifle and figured Leupold was the best route.

If they have a fixed power scope for rimfre I'll buy it but haven't seen any so far.

If you enjoyed reading about "Leupold durability?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!