Factory threaded .22 rifles, what are my options?

PDA

Gato MontÚs
November 16, 2012, 06:22 PM
My check cashed and my Form 4 for my silencer is now pending. Great, now to phase two; host weapons!

I already have a 22/45 TB, but I'm in desperate need for a 22 rifle and due to circumstances out of my control I don't own any right now. So preferably instead of buying a rifle then sending it off to be threaded I'd like to buy something already threaded.

I'm still debating what I want to buy first, so it could be either a semi or bolt, I'll end up with both eventually. This is not going to be a rifle with a purpose, so I'm not looking for anything with strict adherence to accuracy or weight, just so long as it's threaded. I'd also like to keep it under five bills, but if it's over still throw it out there anyway.

Shot the silencer yesterday and man, I don't know how I'm going to survive the six month wait!
http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x341/wadcutter38/IMG_20121115_143721-1-1.jpg?t=1353104445

If you enjoyed reading about "Factory threaded .22 rifles, what are my options?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
JerZsquid
November 16, 2012, 06:34 PM
Savage makes a nice bolt 22 tactical type that comes with a threaded barrel. I can't remember the model number off the top off my head though. I'm running an aac element on a 22/45 and a marlin model 60 that I bought used for $89 and had threaded for $75. Works great.

JerZsquid
November 16, 2012, 06:36 PM
Found it: Savage MK11-FVSR Bolt Action Rifle .22 LR 16.5" Threaded Barrel 5 Rounds Blue Synthetic Stock Accu Trigger

vaupet
November 16, 2012, 06:49 PM
Browning T bolt

viking499
November 16, 2012, 07:02 PM
CZ.

Gato MontÚs
November 16, 2012, 07:55 PM
I'm sorry but which CZ? Last time I checked their site I coulda swore there were none offered.

Savage Mk11 and Browning T-bolt added to list, thanks guys.

Mot45acp
November 16, 2012, 11:23 PM
Another vote for the Browning T bolt.

But that said, I put my Gemtech Halo on my S&W M&P 22 the other day. There wasn't any real sound reduction. I'm thinking it was due to .22 rifles aren't real loud to begin with, but you still get the sonic crack. Kind of defeated the purpose. To be fair though,I haven't tried anything sub sonic yet.

Tempest 455
November 17, 2012, 12:00 AM
Another vote for MK II.

Gato MontÚs
November 17, 2012, 12:23 AM
But that said, I put my Gemtech Halo on my S&W M&P 22 the other day. There wasn't any real sound reduction. I'm thinking it was due to .22 rifles aren't real loud to begin with, but you still get the sonic crack. Kind of defeated the purpose. To be fair though,I haven't tried anything sub sonic yet.

That's a good point and it's one that has been nudging me to a bolt over a semi auto. I owned an M&P15-22 briefly and had tried subsonics of various manufacture to no avail, and that seems like a problem many semis would have. A bolt gun on the other hand would not only allow for subs but for shorts and longs as well, really opening up my options and maximizing the effectiveness of the silencer.

I'm not really a fan of tactical looking guns, but that Savage actually looks pretty cool, plus I've never owned a Savage before.

JerZsquid
November 17, 2012, 12:48 AM
I dont know what aftermarket mags are available for the mkII but I know it's a pain in the ass when I have to refill my model 60's 14round tubular magazine. I can't imagine having to reload every 5 rds, unless you use it solely for paper punching or hunting. I shoot water bottles, gold balls, and everything in between. I'll take all the mag capacity I can get when at the range.

JerZsquid
November 17, 2012, 12:49 AM
"Golf" Balls.... Don't have it that good

JerZsquid
November 17, 2012, 12:55 AM
That's a good point and it's one that has been nudging me to a bolt over a semi auto. I owned an M&P15-22 briefly and had tried subsonics of various manufacture to no avail, and that seems like a problem many semis would have. A bolt gun on the other hand would not only allow for subs but for shorts and longs as well, really opening up my options and maximizing the effectiveness of the silencer.

I'm not really a fan of tactical looking guns, but that Savage actually looks pretty cool, plus I've never owned a Savage before.

Subsonic rounds with a supressor act wayy differently then when used without a can.

When I fire subsonic rounds through my model 60 or 22/45 with a can it is super quiet. The loudest sound is the bullet impact.

When I fire regular bulk pack 22 ammo through the same can on the same weapons it is much louder. (Not requiring hearing protection but def not quiet)

Gato MontÚs
November 17, 2012, 01:01 AM
So are you saying that subs will cycle reliably with a can installed? I know silencers create extra back pressure so it seems to reason that the might.

Coop45
November 17, 2012, 01:47 AM
CZ made a 452 threaded like this one. clicky (http://www.kygunco.com/cz-452-american-22lr-wthreaded-muzzle-43775)

Gato MontÚs
November 17, 2012, 02:50 AM
Thank you! I've always wanted a CZ rimfire bolt as I've heard nothing but praise. That 452 looks pretty slick!

nipprdog
November 17, 2012, 06:57 AM
I dont know what aftermarket mags are available for the mkII

The Savage 10rd mags work in the FV-SR. Love mine;

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v605/nippr/web/DSCN3589Pw.jpg

50yds;

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v605/nippr/web/DSCN3590pw.jpg

Got to shoot it a couple months ago with a Gaurdian;

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v605/nippr/web/DII_6927Pw2.jpg

It was pretty quiet with the CCI standard velocity rounds, which is the main round I shoot through it. It was VERY quiet with the CCI "quiet" rounds. It was so quiet, it was causing laughter.

TNBilly
November 17, 2012, 01:58 PM
Marlin xt22-zr

Ky Larry
November 17, 2012, 10:31 PM
Buds had a threaded CZ-452 on the rack last week when I was in there.

Swampman
November 17, 2012, 10:57 PM
Another vote for the Savage MKII FVSR.
Right out of the box it outshot my 10-22 that I have $900 invested in.
Incidently, nipprdog was right about the CCI Quiet .22. It's insanely quiet, plus it feeds through the Savage perfectly, it won't even begin to cycle a 10-22.

Tempest 455
November 17, 2012, 11:10 PM
CCI Quiet through a can is quieter (more quiet) than my sons air rifle.

All you hear is firing pin and the bullet hit the target.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdhx7wnePXc&feature=plcp

JerZsquid
November 17, 2012, 11:32 PM
So are you saying that subs will cycle reliably with a can installed? I know silencers create extra back pressure so it seems to reason that the might.

Yes, they will cycle. I couldn't get the cci quiet ammo to cycle though

viking499
November 18, 2012, 12:02 AM
CZ 452's can still be found.

You could also get a new model 455 with a threaded barrel. The 455 gives you the option to switch barrels between a 22, 22mag and 17 hmr.

smokey30725
November 18, 2012, 12:12 AM
I have one of the savage tactical 22s and love it. Very accurate for a budget rifle. Makes me want a suppressor to go along with it!

crazy-mp
November 18, 2012, 12:56 AM
Browning also makes a factory threaded buckmark called the camper, ruger has some threaded 10/22's savage makes 3-4 threaded .22 bolt guns and 2 diffrent semi auto .22's. Ruger also has their 22/45 and Lite which is factory threaded.

The CZ's that I have seen will require a thread adapter they are typically 1/2 X 20 where American guns and .22 suppressors are 1/2 X 28. But they may have made some that are threaded to fit your suppressor.

You can also have a gunsmith thread your barrel savage makes a model called a BV which is a nice bolt action laminate gun that looks great (I have sold 5).

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRVtKqjPmElNs7U8JLmClIpnUY3yET6p4aBMZBSJxK2gPygz7Qn
(Not my picture but looks the same)

I would get the bolt gun first, semi-auto will be a little louder due to action noise, you can really amaze people with a bolt gun and some CCI standard velocity ammo.

PM me if you want a price for the BV I can get it threaded and shipped to you! Only 1 in stock right now :cool:

Gato MontÚs
November 18, 2012, 04:01 AM
I would get the bolt gun first, semi-auto will be a little louder due to action noise, you can really amaze people with a bolt gun and some CCI standard velocity ammo.

Which as petty as it may seem is a major selling point for me; showing off. Nobody buys a Ferrari with intent of driving 25 down a city street!:cool:

Gander Mountain recently opened a new store around here called Gun World, where the only thing more insane than the number of firearms stocked are the prices they want for em.:barf: It is however a great place to go and handle guns without intent to buy guilt free, so what I'm going to do is go out there with a list derived from this thread and check em out.

The Savage is high on the list simply because of the Accutrigger that I've always wanted to try and the low cost. The CZ 455 also perked my interest because of the versatility; if I go that route I would definitely get myself a 22 mag barrel, something I've never had either. The only thing a tad bit disappointing to me is the lack of factory threads with IRONS, something even in my own research I could not find. I have a decent piece of glass already, a Nikon Prostaff rimfire, but call me strange but I prefer open sights to any kind of optics. I guess that option is really only available if you get something threaded yourself.

Thanks again for all the recommendations!

CraigC
November 18, 2012, 01:45 PM
The little 16" Savage is mighty tempting, long before I get into position to get a suppressor. My standard heavy barrel MKII is a wonderful shooter and currently wears an EGW 20MOA base for 250yd shooting.

dubbleA
November 19, 2012, 12:43 AM
Guess I beat Savage to the punch as I cut this MKII down a long time ago to 16 1/4" and suppressed it. It's a cheap .22 and not all that but it's minute of squirrel.

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f268/dubbleA/squirrelrifle.jpg

saenzrich
November 19, 2012, 04:46 PM
I got the Savage FV-SR and it is very nice...I liked the size and versatility so much I bought a CZ 452 16" Thrd American soon after. I think these are in my opinion two of the best to put a can on most importantly cause of there size. Ohh and great triggers and out of the box accuracy will put most other .22lrs to shame. will post pics soon

Swampman
November 22, 2012, 03:58 AM
Gato: Even though I recommended the Savage in an earlier post, I'd like to make you aware of a couple of things that I've observed.

Firstly, While the bolt gun with subsonics will sound much quieter to the person actually firing the weapon, a person (or squirrel) standing 75 to 100 feet away would be hard pressed to tell the difference between a semi auto and a bolt gun.

Second, do NOT expect the Acutrigger on a Savage rimfire to be as good as those on their centerfire rifles. Don't get me wrong, it's a good trigger, but it's not as good as those on the centerfire Savages.

I know this isn't really the answer that you asked for (a factory rifle with threaded barrel), but if you decide to get a semi auto, you should look around for an old Remington Nylon 66 and have it threaded by someone who knows what they're doing (Adco is excellent).

Pretty much all .22 ammo will gum up a semi auto's action, when you add a can, it gets MUCH worse. My 10/22 will usually start jamming at between 350 and 500 rounds when using my SWR Spectre. I have a buddy that has a threaded Nylon 66, one weekend he and I went shooting and he fired over 1000 suppressed rounds without a single jam. I asked him when he had last cleaned the rifle and he couldn't remember, but he thought that it had been a couple of years ago, with 8 to 10 THOUSAND rounds through it since then.
I am really impressed with that platform!

Another option you might want to look at is a lever action or pump, they're much quicker than a bolt action, but unlike a semi auto, they'll function with just about any ammo regardless of power level.

I couldn't really ID your can in the pic you posted, what did you get?

Gato MontÚs
November 22, 2012, 06:55 AM
It's a Silencerco Sparrow. I got to try her out at my dealer's range. I was debating whether or not to do so as I know an indoor range, especially as small as his, would be a bad place to experience it for the first time, and I was right. REALLY LOUD in there! True test to come when I can actually use it outside.

Anyway

Never got to go check out firearms as one of our third shifters quit unannounced and that left the newest manager, i.e. me, to cover all week long.:barf: And I really wanted to go out there before Thanksgiving, before all the madness starts.

I'll keep all posted as to what path I decide to take.

Swampman
November 23, 2012, 07:01 AM
That's the same can that my buddy has, his is the older aluminium model, but it's pretty darn quiet. You're gonna love that Sparrow!
You can shoot it as much as you want and that sucker will come apart with no problems whatsoever.
I think the newer Sparrows have a lot less first round pop than the older ones, but if you really want it quiet, put a little ultrasound gel or a spritz of water in it before shooting.

Gato MontÚs
November 23, 2012, 11:30 AM
Well I certainly hope so, then again with no frame of reference I think anything would probably impress me all the same. If the SWR Spectre II would have been out and had some actual customer reviews on it I probably would have gone with that instead, but I have heard nothing but praise for the mighty Sparrows.

Swampman
November 24, 2012, 04:56 AM
I like my Spectre and the fact that the first shot, even without ablatives, is pretty quiet. But I hate cleaning it! I haven't let it go over 500 rounds without a cleaning, not because it loses effectiveness, but because I'm afraid to get it so dirty it won't come apart. Other than the first time I cleaned it (when I'd been shooting a lot of cheap, filthy ammo), I haven't had any problems getting it apart. I just don't know exactly how far back I can push the cleaning schedule and I'm really not all that eager to find out by soldering the darn thing shut.
That split second tube was a true stroke of genius on SilencerCo's part!

If you enjoyed reading about "Factory threaded .22 rifles, what are my options?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!