PDA

klyph
November 16, 2012, 10:04 PM
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l290/klyph333/IMG_20121116_164518.jpg
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l290/klyph333/IMG_20121116_165417.jpg
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l290/klyph333/IMG_20121116_170325.jpg
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l290/klyph333/IMG_20121116_172740.jpg
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l290/klyph333/IMG_20121116_173936.jpg

Now I have a cool tin to store whatever, spare parts, cleaning supplies, brass...

If you enjoyed reading about "A better way to open spam cans" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
bigfatdave
November 16, 2012, 10:33 PM
something about the power tool, heat, sparks, and paper inside covering all the ammo ...

... yes, something about it makes me pucker up

it is a remarkably well preserved tin, though

Centurian22
November 16, 2012, 10:39 PM
Yea Dave beat me to it about the paper and sparks. But very nicely done.

klyph
November 16, 2012, 10:43 PM
If you only go through the first layer of metal, the paper never meets the sparks, and even if it did, there wouldn't be enough oxygen for a fire. The heat generated is a small fraction of what a chamber reaches after a mag dump. It's one of those things that's only dangerous if you are woefully incompetent, at which point you shouldn't be handling firearms anyway.

hso
November 16, 2012, 10:52 PM
Lots of people own angle grinders compared to the number of people that know how to use them properly. I can't recommend the approach considering the skill needed to carry out the operation properly and safely.

IOW, not everyone with a Home Depot card is any more skilled with the tools they purchase than the folks with carry permit cards.

animator
November 16, 2012, 11:53 PM
I can still do it faster with those can openers... :)

But yes, they make great storage tins. I keep gun cleaning supplies in one, misc extra parts in another, etc...

C0untZer0
November 16, 2012, 11:55 PM
I thought there was going to be real SPAM.

bigfatdave
November 17, 2012, 03:15 AM
What about the commercial/kitchen can opener style that goes on the side of the can in the first place?

klyph
November 17, 2012, 03:41 AM
There really isn't much skill involved. Anyone who's handled an angle grinder long enough will have the scars on their hands to prove that they're a "skilled operator". That's how you learn to use one, every time it bites you, you've learned a new lesson. I'd recommend anyone who has zero experience pick one up and go to town with it, you'll figure it out.

What about the commercial/kitchen can opener style that goes on the side of the can in the first place?

I thought about that, and even tried one, but the metal was too thick for the one I had.

BigN
November 17, 2012, 04:10 AM
My first question was going to be "Who's being forced to eat the spam??"

clamman
November 17, 2012, 08:49 AM
A palm sander with a sheet of 60 grit paper does the job without sparks to worry about.

akodo
November 17, 2012, 09:24 AM
something about the power tool, heat, sparks, and paper inside covering all the ammo ...

... yes, something about it makes me pucker up

it is a remarkably well preserved tin, though

I recall a few years back when there was legislation introduced that all ammo had to be stored 'behind the counter' and even when behind the counter it had to be stored in it's own section with a large empty 'buffer zone' around it and anything else. The law would have made it impractical for most places to sell ammo. The reasoning behind the law (at least the official reasoning) was they didn't want someone walking to the ammo aisle and take out their lighter and light the ammo on fire. :eek: Someone going to the toilet paper aisle would be a lot bigger threat. Ammo doesn't light on fire that easy.

Heck the paper wrappers inside the spam can aren't going to light on fire that easy, not from sparks. I've had paper that has been pelted with sparks from grinders. Little holes are singed in it, it doesn't go up in flame. And that is when it is out in the open with lots of oxygen.

j1
November 17, 2012, 09:29 AM
I never saw or held one of those cans. It looks like a common kitchen can opener would work. Would it?

r1derbike
November 17, 2012, 10:17 AM
I was traumatized by the title of the post. It brought back memories of fried Spam sandwiches we had to endure as kids, because there were 8 of us, and not a lot of money coming-in from my teacher parents, one who held a doctorate in music, and the other a masters in music.

They both taught at a local fine arts college.

Now, I'm going to buy a can of Spam, and open it with some 5.56 NATO surplus can openers. I'm certain that will ease the pain.

BTW, where is your full-coverage eye protection?

beatledog7
November 17, 2012, 10:23 AM
It looks like a common kitchen can opener would work. Would it?

No. Look at the rim closely and compare it to the rim on a can from your cupboard. There is way more height on the ammo can, too much for the common can opener to span and have its cutter pierce the lid.

If that would work, all the threads and videos we see on how to open a spammo can would have never existed.

rodinal220
November 17, 2012, 10:24 AM
So I guess oxy-acetylene or plasma torch is right out then:eek:

ExTank
November 17, 2012, 10:41 AM
^ Give it a shot. Let us know how it goes. :evil:

bikerdoc
November 17, 2012, 11:08 AM
The OP has some skill. He is a careful practitioner. That said.
My retirement job is at an internet ammo supplier. With the supplied can opener I can zip open a can with ease.

Rob G
November 17, 2012, 11:38 AM
It's interesting but it's never taken me more than a minute to open one of those with a standard Russian issue can opener. But I guess if you've got an angle grinder and need a reason to use it...

klyph
November 17, 2012, 01:13 PM
The point was not to open it quickly, but to preserve the container.

27hand
November 17, 2012, 06:40 PM
The angle grinder is one of the absolute best construction tools on the planet. Unfortunately, most people either do not have the hand strength or ability to use it without getting "bit". For the most part, it is a self correcting error.

I use it for everything.

I would almost bet klyph is either a welder or has some welding skills. The reason for that assumption is the absence of a guard :) which, although it keeps you safe, many times gets in the way.

I was just using 3 grinders today. The 6" wafer wheel grinder for cutting ( has a guard ). The 4" has a 1/4" heavier grinding wheel and one that has a straight wire wheel for removing slag.

I used to open tins of welding rod the same way before they came with snap tops.

My Chinese is staying in the cans for a while.

EmbarkChief
November 17, 2012, 06:56 PM
LOL, this is the exact method I've been using :-)

bigfatdave
November 17, 2012, 09:36 PM
I thought about that, and even tried one, but the metal was too thick for the one I had. I thought that might be the answer.

JTHunter
November 17, 2012, 09:50 PM
beatledog7 said:
No. Look at the rim closely and compare it to the rim on a can from your cupboard. There is way more height on the ammo can, too much for the common can opener to span and have its cutter pierce the lid.

Not only is it too high, it is also too thick (at least for my can opener). When I couldn't find my "wrench", I tried. And tried. And tried. :fire:
Gave up and got a small hammer and chisel.

Three days later, found the wrench. :cuss: :banghead:

Trent
November 18, 2012, 09:26 AM
Aww, this takes away the best part.

Part of the fun is that first puncture you make, where the can goes "ssssssssPOP" and sucks air in. :)

Personally I like to take a whiff of that 1970's Russian Factory air that's left in the can. You can smell mother Russia; sweat, blood, and communism if you take the lid off carefully.

j1
November 18, 2012, 09:55 AM
How did the soldiers in the field open those cans?

klyph
November 18, 2012, 03:54 PM
I avoid breathing the air inside, who knows the proximity the ammo factory had to Chernobyl.
How did the soldiers in the field open those cans?
In communist Russia, can opens you!
Sorry, they had heavy duty manual can openers that came supplied with the cans.
http://www.russian-mosin-nagant.com/ammo_section/Mosin_15.jpg

Trent
November 18, 2012, 03:54 PM
J1; With the opener screwed to the inside lid of the crate.

Fishslayer
November 18, 2012, 06:46 PM
It's interesting but it's never taken me more than a minute to open one of those with a standard Russian issue can opener. But I guess if you've got an angle grinder and need a reason to use it...

J1; With the opener screwed to the inside lid of the crate.

They don't always come with the can opener and almost never when buying a single can. I bought a single can recently from a private party. I hesitated till he said he'd toss in the crate and can opener.

The grinder idea for preserving the tin is pretty cool. I took the top off my first one with a chisel. Got a nice tub out of it but the top id kinda ragged.

If you enjoyed reading about "A better way to open spam cans" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!