Which all around medium bore round?

PDA

Jason_W
November 17, 2012, 12:58 PM
During the last few years I've hunted deer mostly with a shotgun loaded up with slugs. This is fine for hunting the thick stuff where if you can even see 50 yards you're doing well. Next season, however, I may take a break from soaking myself in cedar swamps and park myself in a tree stand overlooking a "clear" cut or power line where shots could be over 100 yards.

I'm thinking that my next rifle purchase (whenever I can pull that off) should be something capable of longer range shots (maybe 250 yards) without having to employ too much Arkansas elevation.

The reason I'm looking at a medium bore instead of one of the smaller bore flat shooters is that I'm thinking positively about the future. I want something that will be a decent powerline gun for whitetail, but will also be more than enough for hunting large game in such exotic locations as Alaska and Africa if I ever happen to get such an opportunity.

The rounds I'm interested in at present are

.338 Win mag (the price is right for Savages chambered in this rifle)

9.3x62mm (the CZ 550 is gorgeous and Privi Partizan sells ammo for relatively cheap)

.375 h&H (because hell yeah, that's why):D

I handload and recoil isn't much of an issue ever since I started firing 3" 12 ga slugs from the bench.

If you enjoyed reading about "Which all around medium bore round?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
RPRNY
November 17, 2012, 01:01 PM
I would add 35 Whelen to your list.

Jason_W
November 17, 2012, 01:05 PM
looks like the whelen and the 9.3 are pretty much ballistically identical. I'm assuming .35 cal bullets will be easier to obtain as well.

Ar180shooter
November 17, 2012, 01:07 PM
Have you thought of a .338 Federal? 210 gr at 2600 fps sounds good to me.

Acera
November 17, 2012, 01:12 PM
A .30 caliber bullet will effectively kill everything on this continent especially at the ranges you are talking about, and all your plains game in Africa as well. They are much easier to obtain and have dozens of base cartridges and thousands of loadings to play with. Hard to find a larger selection of bullets than those in .30.

For Africa and dangerous game, you might want something bigger than those you mention unless you are going for soft skinned cats.

I like what Jeff Cooper said about the .375H&H Kicks too hard to be generally useful, lacks the flat trajectory for long shots, and is not enough gun for Cape buffalo.

Jason_W
November 17, 2012, 02:39 PM
The .338 Win Mag is looking good on account of the affordable savage rifles in which it's chambered. At the same time, I like 9.3 because it's uncommon enough to be interesting but not so uncommon that ammo and components are impossible to obtain.

Even though I currently own a .308, I find it hard to get excited about the .30 calibers. In my opinion, the .30 cals are to guns what meatloaf is to food. Gets the job done, but where's the Joie de vivre?

Commence flaming from .30 cal fans in 5 . . . 4 . . . 3 :D

Coal Dragger
November 17, 2012, 03:21 PM
Also don't overlook the very useful .338-06, and if you want something a little different the .358 Norma Magnum might be interesting.

Onward Allusion
November 17, 2012, 03:21 PM
What are you hunting? I know it ain't the latest whiz bang, but a 180 gr 30-06 will take out any deer (shot placement) in the distances you'd described. Heck, it'll take out moose & elk at those distances.

Just admit it to yourself that you want (ahem, I meant need) a new gun.

Jason_W
November 17, 2012, 03:22 PM
What are you hunting?

Dreams and fantasies, mostly :(

Sorry for the melodramatic response:D

The way I'm starting to look at it is that I don't see too many (if any) legal big game animals so I want something that can take them from a range of 0 to 250 yards even if the angle is less than ideal.

Robert
November 17, 2012, 06:45 PM
I vote 375H&H. And with all due respect Jeff Cooper did not know what he was talking about when it comes to the 375H&H. The recoil is not bad at all, less than a light weight 12ga with slugs. Far better than the 338. My 270gr bullets have nearly the same trajectory as a 180gr 30-06. And while that might not be super flat it is flat enough to take any animal on this planet. And lastly it is plenty of rifle for Cape Buffalo with the right bullet.

Hizzie
November 17, 2012, 06:51 PM
.375 Holland & Holland Magnum

The .338 WM is plain vanilla. The 9.3x62 and .375H&H have nostalgia from more than a century of African use each. The Nine-Three may be more romantic but Holland & Holland's majical mid-bore has far more available options for bullets, brass and factory loads should you get lazy.

RSVP2RIP
November 17, 2012, 06:54 PM
And lastly it is plenty of rifle for Cape Buffalo with the right bullet

Plenty rifle for anything that walks. It (the 375H&H) get my vote. If you handload, you certainly can download it to 38-55 levels for close deer and hot-rod it to take an elephant. I took one deer hunting, and while the gun was a bit heavy for the task, I wouldn't hesitat to drop the hammer on a deer with a 300 gr soft point. It might not expant to full diameter, but it wouldn't have to. Most people who try this say it destroys very little meat. I never got the chance to shoot a deer with it but in africa the guides what you to show up with a 375 no matter what game you are shooting, provided you can shoot it.

Jason_W
November 17, 2012, 07:04 PM
Good points in the .375 corner!

The only detractor is the cost of the platform. But hey, maybe life will start actually working soon.

Jaxondog
November 17, 2012, 07:08 PM
375 H&H get's my vote, even though it's not the big kid on the block. If you can hold on for a week or so I am getting ready to unload a few. A 375 H&H in a Ruger No.1 and a Bruno. Also have a 450 Watts in Interarms Mark X I may get rid of also. I'm never going to Africa so I'm trying to talk myself into letting them go. I will post them when i decide what I want for them.

Robert
November 17, 2012, 07:17 PM
I have a Winchester M70 Safari Express. And while not a cheap rifle it is a superb rifle. You can get a Savage cheaper, but imo it is not even half the rifle of the Winchester. Though I tend to be a bit of a fan. If you handload it is really not that expensive to shoot. Well less than factory ammo...

I carried my 10lbs rifle, and a day pack, for 5 days last week on my Elk hunt up around 12,000ft. Never saw an Elk but I never noticed the weight of the rifle. And I am not in great shape at all.

Flatbush Harry
November 17, 2012, 08:04 PM
I have a Remington 700 XCR II in .375 H&H for which I mounted a Bell & Carlson Medalist LA stock in Weatherby configuration. My gunsmith pal glass bedded it and I mounted a 3-9x40 Zeiss Conquest Z-Plex in Leupold QR rings and bases. When asked what I can hunt with it, I responded, "Anything on this planet!".

This 3-shot group, fired at 100 yards with my handloads of 69.0gr of Reloder 15 under a Nosler AccuBond 260gr bullet with CCI LR Magnum primers in once-fired R-P cases shows the accuracy potential of this round.

Good luck,

FH

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j126/flatbush_harry/sc01c8757d.jpg

nastynatesfish
November 17, 2012, 09:06 PM
I'd go 7 rem mag. Will do anything you want. If your looking for more bullet I'd look at a 8mm mag

StrawHat
November 17, 2012, 09:24 PM
Since you handload, I would recomennd you consider the 411 Hawk. A powerhouse and a fairly flat shooter. It also carries one extra round in the magazine compared to the 375.

Swampman
November 17, 2012, 09:37 PM
For North America, .338 Win Mag, if you really think you might get to Africa, go for the .375 H&H.

ColeK
November 17, 2012, 09:44 PM
You might want to look at an 8x57mm.

Hizzie
November 18, 2012, 12:16 AM
Good points in the .375 corner!

The only detractor is the cost of the platform. But hey, maybe life will start actually working soon.
A nice used CZ550 would be one of the most affordable options. An Interarms Mark X or Remington 798 would be a good option as well.

MachIVshooter
November 18, 2012, 02:42 AM
The .375 H&H is a highly flexible, well mannered cartridge that is widely available around the world, and capable of killing anything that walks.

I personally opted for a little more oomph with the .375 RUM, but it won't play nice when downloaded below .375 H&H max levels. Just too much case. The H&H can be loaded down to .30-06 levels and even lower, and even at full power, it's not the shoulder buster that the RUM is. I can shoot a couple boxes of .375 H&H and feel fine, but 10 or 12 of my handloads out of my 7-1/2 lb non-ported RUM has left me with a headache.

dubya450
November 18, 2012, 11:39 AM
I'm on the same page as Ar180shooter. I suggest you look into the 338 fed if you haven't already. I have one in a Kimber Montana and u haven't even touched any of my other rifles since ive had the Fed. Its my choice for a single do it all rifle.
If only the choices you listed, personally id go with the 375

Jason_W
November 18, 2012, 12:25 PM
I know the .338 Federal is a .308 Win. case necked up to take a .338 bullet. I'd love to hear opinions on why it might be a better option than the .338 Win Mag.

I think my biggest concern with the .338 federal is the cartridge's longevity. The other rounds I listed have a pretty firm foothold and while the .338 Fed has a small loyal following, I'd fear it would eventually go the way of the .260 Rem.

Gordon
November 18, 2012, 12:42 PM
I take a different path. Although I worship the .375 H&Hit really is not necessary in the scenario you describe and probably a 30-06 would be ideal . BUT I have found that game in your area of the country is absolutely bowled over by the .35 Remington out to 250 yards and the shooter not so bowled over.
The drop on the spire point bullets I load at well over 2000 FPS from this little carbine can be assured of hitting where I point it out to your 250 yard mark. Recoil is a friendly push even with 200 grain bullets at 2200 fps and not so loud even from the 18" barrel IMHO. My lever and pump .35 Rems lack maybe 50 yards of accurracy from this 600 bolt gun, but still are top of the heap "brush guns" up to 150 yards; they knock game to 400 pounds overat that range with factory Rem Corloktd 200 grain RN BTW.
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i203/gordonhulme/026.jpg

CB900F
November 18, 2012, 12:58 PM
JasonW;

When I wanted something more than a .30-06, I went with the .338 Winchester magnum myself. After looking at all the platforms available, and I mean having them in my hands & put to the shoulder, I passed on the Savage & went with the Tikka. A neighbor has a CZ550 in 9.3 X 62. It's a fine gun & he hasn't had to do too much extra work to get ammo for it either. Both of us roll our own cartridges by the way.

900F

a-sheepdog
November 18, 2012, 02:34 PM
From what I understand, 375 H&H is the minimum for many of the dangerous game species in Africa. If you are hunting non dangerous game, either the 338 Win Mag or 9.3x62 would be great choices in addition to the 375 H&H. I have both the 338 and 9.3x62 and am pleased with both. I hunt Montana for elk and really enjoy the 338 win mag as it has enough velocity to make the longer shots, 500-600 yards and still cleanly take game. I also have a Ruger African 9.3x62 that is an awesome rifle and very accurate, though is limited to short range for me. The longest that I have shot it is a little over 300 yards. It is dead on at 100 yards, 6" low at 200 and 21" low at 300. Definitely not a long range type rifle, at least for me. I do feel comfortable with it for any large game from elk to bear within 300 yards, but generally carry the 338 due to its velocity and trajectory. I think that any of the 3 choices would be good for what you want, but feel distance may be limited with the 9.3x62.

Jason_W
November 18, 2012, 02:45 PM
Realistically, the chances of me ( a perpetually broke dude) getting to go to Africa is pretty slim. If I did get over there and dangerous game was on the agenda, I'm guessing I could likely borrow a capable rifle from whatever guide service I was employing. Could be wrong on that as I've never been over there.

I think the .375 H&H is an awesome round, but if I'm honest with myself, I know I won't be able to responsibly afford a rifle chambered for it any time soon.

I did shoulder a savage Hog hunter in .308 at an LGS and I was happy with how it felt. I'm assuming the .338 Win mag version wouldn't feel too different.

I'm interested in the 9.3 because it's a tad on the uncommon side and looks like it would be one of the more pleasant medium bores to shoot. It's flat shooting enough for any terrain I'd encounter here in Maine but I'm wondering if I ever got the chance to hunt the Rockies or Alaska if the .338 Win Mag wouldn't be a little better.

eldon519
November 18, 2012, 02:46 PM
The .35 Whelen can be fun to handload, partially because you can load .357 magnum pistol bullets in it for cheap plinking or devastating vermin rounds. There are also some sources of cheaper cast bullets out there to keep practice ammo affordable. Lastly, you can make brass out of .30-06 cases if you ever have trouble finding components or want a cheap source of brass.

valnar
November 18, 2012, 03:40 PM
I'd pick the 9.3x62mm. If you are going to get a medium bore, get something decidedly medium bore, not something a hair above .30

Kachok
November 18, 2012, 03:43 PM
No disrespect to the 375 H&H but I want the new 375 Ruger. Aprox 100fps faster, fits into standard length actions and no stupid belt. All the perks of the 9.3x64 with .375 caliber bullet selection, how could you go wrong? Unless you are recoil shy that is :D

Darter
November 18, 2012, 03:53 PM
7mm08 or 260 rem./ possibly a 270 if you want to hunt non dangerous game at reasonable distances. If you want to go 600 yds or so try a 280 AI.

Edit; to include a low mounted quality scope in 3-9x40 duplex or my favorite a straight 4 power with a #4 reticle

Jason_W
November 18, 2012, 04:06 PM
I'd pick the 9.3x62mm. If you are going to get a medium bore, get something decidedly medium bore, not something a hair above .30

That round does intrigue me.

I remember seven or years ago an ad in "Shotgun News" from a company selling Husqvarna Mausers chambered in the round for a very reasonable price. I'm guessing that time has passed.

akodo
November 18, 2012, 04:24 PM
Going on the 'Rifle to hunt deer with while dreaming of Africa'...

Generally when one talks 375 H&H, 338 Winmag, and the like, they throw 9.3x64 Brenneke in there, not the 9.3x62 which is a step below those three in power, as others have said it is the German Equivalent of the 35 Whelen. The 358 Norma Mag does everything the 9.3x64 does.

I'd also state that if you are REALLY looking for a cartridge with African Flavor, the 404 Jefferies is what I would suggest. It is running pretty much a dead tie with the 375 H&H
(but a step below the 416 Rigby) and throws a .423 slug.

However, I must also bring up the 8mm Remington Magnum. In theory this sits between the 300 Winmag and the 338 Winmag. Scratch that, in theory it sits between and a little bit ahead of both of them. Three factors kept it from kicking the two winmags to the curb. #1 the 8mm Rem Mag is a true magnum length cartridge while the winmags were sized to match rifles that could handle the 30-06...a nice cost-saver for the gun companies. #2 the 338 Winmag had a 30 year head start. #3 Remington's initial factory loads were not stellar.

However, for a HANDLOADER you can really get some outstanding results from the 'Big 8' It has more case capacity and can run at the same pressures as the 300 winmag and 338 winmag. However, in Europe the 'big 8' is recognized as stronger and their factory ammo can run 2.5% higher pressure. Most handloaders run the 'Big 8' in the same category as the 300 Weatherby and 300 RUM. I can't think of a better elk, moose, and big bear chambering for a handloader. Plus factory ammo while not as common as 30-06/308/270/ is not rare.

HOWEVER, it doesn't seem to me you are really asking for a elk,moose, big bear rifle. And you aren't really asking for an African Safari rifle either. You are asking for a deer (or maybe deer and elk) rifle that is chambered with character.

To get out of the '30 caliber meat loaf' section you don't have to go big. You can go smaller too.

Ever consider the great 257 Roberts? What about the 6.5x55 Swede? 264 Winchester magnum? 6.5 Remington Magnum? 284 Winchester? 280 Remington? 250-3000 Savage? 7x57 Mauser?

Gordon
November 18, 2012, 07:54 PM
I remember (about a year before my first trip to SA for a Safari )in 1975, I had to have a "medium magnum" . I got a Ruger M77 from 1974 production in .338 Win Mag .I put the brand new Vari-X 3-9 Leupold on it , fiberglass bedded the action and tuned that good early Ruger trigger to a 3 pound Icicle. I was gonna knock off them 600 yard elk in Oregon that I kept hearing about from my friends who lived there. I only went for a few weeks at a time during hunting season. I got my freezer Elk regularly but these guys always had the gigantic spread 500 pound Bull trophies and I wanted in. They shot .300 Weatherby Magnums and used 180 grain Weatherby (Norma) factory loads with the big German Weatherby Imperial 2,5-10x scopes.
Having corresponded with Elmer Keith since I was no ore than a boy I thought the .338 Win Mag would certainly be what I wanted. You know the .338 only got one semi bragging bull in 6 years of use, and those 275 Grain torpedo loads I swore by kicked the living snot out of me so I sold the beast. Of course I did not learn my lesson and when an early A- SQUARE .358 Norma came my way with it's giant proportions and tales of 250 grain boat tails centerpunching elk at 700 yards everytime made me buy it in 1988 along with the 100 free factory unprimed cases and a set of dies. I put a big old 4-12 Varible on it , A Colorado Redfield Accutrac as I remember and it failed and was replaced by the 3-9 Leupold from the previously sold .338 Ruger M-77.
I shot the A-Square in Oregon on various Elk and the longest , and best , shot was 313 yards on a good 6x6 in 1996.The other dozen elk were shot at 75-200 yards!:rolleyes:
That 11 pound .358 Norma rig is deadly enough I guess with 250 grain boattails at 2800 fps+ , but it got heavy to walk hunt for me in the last 10 years.
I shot elk most years since then with first a .375 H&H which according to others and my shoulder was a bit too much even with 260 grain accubonds, and then a 30-06 Mannlicher Schonauer with premium 180 grain bullets which worked even better IMHO on the average 100 yard or so shot that the magnums!
Nowadays I am back to the medium .35 with the 600 Carbine pictured above. Last year the 4x4 was drilled thru the shoulders with a 200 grain Coreloktd factory 1900+ Fps load out of the 18" barrel at 146 lazered yards. It blasted a 3/4" hole thru both sides and hit high shoulder bone before exiting as I was prone and shooting slightly up hill. There was about 4" of pulped red bloody area of the shoulder instead of the 6" of the 30-06 in the same shot ,the high velocity Medium magnums usually waste the whole shoulder with blood shot or pulped damage .The stag really went down fast with the .35 Remington, just as fast as similar shots with all my 30 previous years of the fall elk hunts.
But you will have to learn your self.
30-06 Mannlicher Schoenauer with Kaps 4x scope, this sucker was my late uncles gun and with 180 grain Nosler Partitions is death on all game in North America.
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i203/gordonhulme/P1010611.jpg
The Thundering .358 Norma , think I will sell it
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i203/gordonhulme/practicalstuff019.jpg

AJumbo
November 18, 2012, 08:04 PM
You know why I really love the 30-06? I can find ammo for it in almost store in Arizona, and it's effective for most any game North America. While not cheap, it is affordable enough to allow me to practice, and that leads to better shot placement and more confidence. Sight your '06 in for a 200 yard zero, and you should be able to hold dead on anywhere between 100-300 yards.

Rick R
November 18, 2012, 09:39 PM
I've got two 9,3x62 rifles, both have been to Africa, one has taken white tail deer here in the good ole USA. Recoil is mild, meat destruction is minimal, reloading is simple. You can get brass from PRVI, Graf, Hornady or even make it out of .30-06 brass. There are multiple bullet manufacturers.

While there a couple countries in Africa where you can use the 9,3 for dangerous game, the .375 would be a better choice as like American Express it's accepted everywhere. I probably won't get to hunt the bad'uns in my lifetime so me 9,3s meet my needs perfectly. ( and I've got a .416 in the gunsafe :evil: )

Flatbush Harry
November 18, 2012, 09:55 PM
I debated long and semi-hard about the .375 H&H, .375 Ruger, .338 WM and 9.3x62. In the end, I went with the .375 H&H because, if you didn't bring, can't find, or can't take delivery on your ammo, you can find it anywhere in the entire world in some load. Buy a 20-round box, use 6 for sighters/adjustments, and you have 14 rounds left for any animal on the planet. Buy two boxes (a small investment if you're in South Emboohoo, Africa) and you're good to go.

I'm old and a somewhat practical sort of fellow. I know what my Rem 700 .375 H&H will do with 260gr ammo...I'll figure out others...I can hunt anything, anywhere.

Next.

FH

Savage99
November 18, 2012, 10:29 PM
You can only afford one big game rifle and your going to Africa?

There is far more shooting here in the USA for regular big game rifles that will take varmints as well. The varmint seasons are longer than the big game seasons with far more shooting.

I hesitate to suggest any particular rifle because of your finances.

Map6104
November 18, 2012, 11:05 PM
Take all the advise with a grain of salt. However, I've been hunting in North America for over 55 years and reloading for over 35 popular calibers, and having owned several rifles in everything from 475 Win Mag to .22 cal, I can tell you, if I had to suffice with just one rifle it would be a something in a 300 Winchester Magnum. You just cant beat it for accuracy and diversity. Nuff said.

Brian Williams
November 18, 2012, 11:41 PM
358 Win.

Jaxondog
November 19, 2012, 09:13 PM
356 Winchester.

T.R.
November 20, 2012, 08:03 AM
I agree that 338 FEDERAL is a solid choice for performance and medium recoil.

TR

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c146/rushmoreman/bullelkCusterCounty-1.jpg

tahoe2
November 20, 2012, 09:15 AM
9.3x62 , that's cause I love Mauser's ( three 8mm's & two 7mm's) then I would have to get a 6.5 to round out the collection

Jason_W
November 20, 2012, 09:32 AM
9.3x62 , that's cause I love Mauser's ( three 8mm's & two 7mm's) then I would have to get a 6.5 to round out the collection

Do you happen to know of a source that sells Mausers in that round. I checked gunbroker and I didn't see any.

the count
November 20, 2012, 09:40 AM
i would say a 300 win mag is perfect for what you are looking for. brass and bullets (or loaded ammo) will be much cheaper than the more exotic larger calibers. Plus you can share most 30 cal bullets with your 308 if you have one and you reload.

Jason_W
November 20, 2012, 09:45 AM
This is beautiful

http://www.cz-usa.com/products/view/cz-550-fs/

Kachok
November 20, 2012, 10:00 AM
i would say a 300 win mag is perfect for what you are looking for. brass and bullets (or loaded ammo) will be much cheaper than the more exotic larger calibers. Plus you can share most 30 cal bullets with your 308 if you have one and you reload.
.30 cals are not medium bores, true medium bores start at .33 cal up to .400

RPRNY
November 20, 2012, 10:03 AM
Yes the CZ550 Bavarian in 9.3x62 is a great choice. I believe, but I am not certain, that the CZ action is controlled feed. 9.3x62 is not a dangerous game cartridge (although you are only a 100 fps or so behind the .375 H&H in 300 gr hot loads), but controlled feed is worth having in any African rifle.

It's a great rifle and a good cartridge choice. Loaded way down, you could shoot whitetail with it and reasonably hope for some meat to survive ;-) and it would serve for moose and brown bear on an Alaska or Canada hunt. And, if you ever get to Africa to hunt, you will have had enough of a financial boost to buy a dangerous game rifle to go with it. Besides which, the days of the 2 month long multiple big game safaris are pretty much over. Most African hunts are now very specific: Botswana for elephant, Ethiopia for goat, SA for plains game and Buffalo etc., that a full on dangerous game hunt is really only in reach for the very rich (here come six posts from Joe the Plumbers who have hunted dangerous game for 30 years in Africa and how dare I call him very rich) or very lucky. On the other hand, there hasn't been as much overall hunting in Africa since the 1950s and maybe earlier, it's just more specialized.

Jason_W
November 20, 2012, 10:20 AM
I honestly don't expect to go to Africa any time soon as money has been excessively tight over the last few years. It's really just dream at this point. Heck, even Maine moose is a long shot if for no other reason than the fact tags are lottery drawn.

While I fully understand that the common .30 cals are enough for all North America hoofed game, I'm not one for practicality when it comes to firearms. If I was realy practical and had saved enough for a new big game rifle, I would instead take that money and buy a gift card to the local supermarket and have my meat supply taken care of for a year or better.

As I said earlier, I like rounds that are interesting and somewhat uncommon, but not so uncommon they are impossible to feed. I like bore diameters over .30 mostly because that's just my style and wide heavy bullets are useful for places where the textbook broadside shot on game is uncommon.

tahoe2
November 21, 2012, 12:51 AM
Ruger sells their Hawkeye African in 9.3x62 Mauser. The Ruger has controlled round feed like the original Mauser and a three position safety, like a Winchester model 70.
Their new L6 trigger is supposed to be a significant improvement, but the African is kinda pricey ($1000.00)
a CZ American is going to be the next closest to a Mauser and would be cheaper than a Ruger, but no CRF.
I take it back; the CZ is controlled round feed !!

tahoe2
November 21, 2012, 08:21 PM
You might be able to find a custom converted military mauser for slightly less. check the auction sights.

Gtscotty
November 22, 2012, 02:03 PM
I have a Hawkeye African in 9.3x62, and would whole-heartedly recommend it to anyone looking for a medium bore African style rifle. The x62 is a Hoss when loaded up to its full potential. My current load kicks a 285gr prvi out of the barrel at 2450 fps. The rifle\cartridge combo could go a little warmer, but honestly loads hotter than that are no fun in a 7.5 lb rifle. As an aside, relatively cheap prvi brass and bullets for this round can be bought at Graf and sons.

While the Hawkeye African may retail for $1000, real purchase prices are a lot closer to ~$800 (I think mine was $780).

tahoe2
November 22, 2012, 02:13 PM
I have been very intrigued with that round lately, a 35 Whelen on steroids, I like it.
Don't know if I could handle it, and no practical use for it for me, but who cares about practical !!
I want one, some day, on a mauser action, that's just me.

Jason_W
November 22, 2012, 02:21 PM
I think I'm pretty much settled on the 9.3 now. I'll keep my eyes open for a converted Mauser, but I really like the look of the CZ. I'm also a Ruger fan in general so I won't rule it out.

Now, how to raise the cash.

*starts collecting cans from the road side*

wlewisiii
November 22, 2012, 03:07 PM
There are two medium bores that I hope to get someday. A Winchester 94 rifle in .38-55 and a home built up mauser in 9,3x62. Both will be mainly range toys, though if I had the chance to go to Africa the 9,3 would be perfect. The Winchester is a "just because I think it would be fun".

Good luck with your choices.

Gordon
November 22, 2012, 03:24 PM
This one stirs me:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=318164143

November 22, 2012, 03:55 PM
I chose the .375 H&H Mag based on performance, history and availability.

I like what Jeff Cooper said about the .375H&H
Quote:
Kicks too hard to be generally useful, lacks the flat trajectory for long shots, and is not enough gun for Cape buffalo.

A .375 H&H Mag loaded with a 250gr TTSX or 235gr TSX from Barnes shoots fairly flat out to 300 yards. Recoil is very manageable with this cartridge and many Cape Buffalos have been taken with the .375 H&H.

250gr TTSX
100 yards: 1.6"
200 yards: 0.0"
300 yards: -7.1"

If I were going to Africa I'd probably take a .300 Win Mag or .300 WSM for plains game and a .458 Lott for dangerous game, but if I only wanted to take one rifle it'd be the .375 H&H Mag. With the right loads the .375 H&H can be used for plains game and dangerous game although it might not excel at either.

http://thr.mcmxi.org/rifles/kimber/talkeetna/photos/kimber_talkeetna_03.jpg

jdh
November 22, 2012, 05:39 PM
Jason W,

If you really would like an affordable 375 H&H PM me.

Jason_W
November 22, 2012, 06:01 PM
jdh,

If I was in a place to buy anything this second, I would hit you up. If you still have something available in about 6 months, let me know.

Gtscotty
November 23, 2012, 11:05 AM
Jason_w

I don't think you would go wrong with the Cz or the Ruger. My decision came down to the Cz 550 Fs and the Hawkeye African. While I don't regret my choice, I think I would have been just as happy with the Cz ( I'll probably have to get a 550 fs in some caliber, some day, those riles are just too pretty).

Also, Husqvarna commercial mausers in 9.3 land on gun broker occasionally, I bet they would be pretty slick rifles as well.

If you enjoyed reading about "Which all around medium bore round?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!