Bauer .25 auto

PDA

spm
November 17, 2012, 07:59 PM
Been watching this on GB. I don't own a mouse gun and thought it might be fun to have and shoot. I've been reading that Bauer is a quality gun. What do you think? Is this a fair price for this gun in this condition?

Thanks for your help.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=315804376

If you enjoyed reading about "Bauer .25 auto" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
PRM
November 17, 2012, 08:06 PM
That's about what they are going for. I had one years ago and they are a high quality .25. Made on the Baby Browning Patent, and other than being SS there is not a lot of difference.

1 old 0311-1
November 17, 2012, 09:04 PM
Great price on a very reliable gun. Around here that's $275-$300

kokapelli
November 18, 2012, 02:15 PM
I had one that very unreliable so sold it.

MikeJackmin
November 18, 2012, 10:42 PM
Mine has been generally reliable, except for two issues:

1) The heel-style magazine release sometimes unlocks under recoil, allowing the magazine to drop enough to prevent feeding the next round.

2) The original grips cracked, which is bad because the grips hold some of the moving parts in place. Found some replacements on ebay that have held up fine.

Despite these faults, its a nice, fun little pistol. Keep in mind that the safety is not to be counted on. Carry with an empty chamber is a must.

November 18, 2012, 11:12 PM
Keep in mind that the safety is not to be counted on. Carry with an empty chamber is a must.

May I ask why?

I am relatively unfamiliar with the design and would like to know what is wrong with the safety.

Swing
November 18, 2012, 11:48 PM
Looks like a beauty. The price, currently, is reasonable. Have fun. :)

MICHAEL T
November 19, 2012, 02:18 AM
I bought one back in late 70's. Found in my safe while back . Was laying in bottom back of safe. Been their for years . Removed checked mag was loaded went out to my little range . Chambered a round and emptyed mag as fast as I could pull trigger . Same as it did all those years ago when I bought it. Cleaned reloaded and put back in safe .
Not my beretta 950BS but a nice little 25 auto,

MachIVshooter
November 19, 2012, 03:42 AM
Not a bad price in today's market. I've had two. One was pristine, I gave $165 for it in 2007. It has been totally reliable, and I still have that one. The other was a freebie, and was missing parts; Trigger, spring and both grip panels. I machined the trigger and panels from aluminum and got it going, but after a time, one of the barrel lugs broke off. It still ran fine, there are 3 lugs total. I later sold that one as needing work for $60.

MikeJackmin
November 19, 2012, 09:30 PM
The design of the safety mechanism is pretty sketchy - even when on safe, the striker is held in place by only by the sear, and is not blocked in any way. An impact, such as dropping the gun to the ground, can dislodge the striker from the sear and cause it to fire.

More discussion here:

http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-570489.html

November 19, 2012, 11:01 PM
Ah, got it. Thanks for the clarification. Looks like a material quality issue.

If you enjoyed reading about "Bauer .25 auto" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!