Side lock and pellets

PDA

mr16ga
November 18, 2012, 11:59 PM
I shoot an old .50 cal TC Hawken side lock and have the notion to shoot some of the new fangled pellets. I was wondering if I put a priming charge of say 10 gr of ffg to get things going if that would work? The reason I ask as I have never seen the pellets used in an old side lock.
Joe

If you enjoyed reading about "Side lock and pellets" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Acorn Mush
November 19, 2012, 02:38 AM
A 10-grain "starter" charge should work just fine Joe. Just a question, however. Given the cost of the pellets, why would you want to use them rather than loose powder?:confused::confused: Perhaps just to see how they perform?

mr16ga
November 20, 2012, 01:44 AM
Just to try something new.
Joe

Pancho
November 20, 2012, 02:11 AM
I know the feeling and have done it many times over my life-span but now I consider the expected results real and imagined. Will powder and pellets provided easier loading? Nope.
Will it provide more reliable ignition? Maybe. Will it provide better accuracy? Nope.
I'm the last guy to discourage experimentation but carefully review your goals so you can determine if the idea is a brain fart.

OrangePwrx9
November 21, 2012, 12:02 AM
I stopped using the Pyrodex pellets in my inlines. They seemed to foul more, foul more quickly and the fouling seemed harder to remove than with loose powder. Accuracy wasn't as good either. Went back to Pyrodex RS and have been happy with it.

Pellets seem to give better ballistics than loose powder...at least it appears that way in the TC manuals. They must be better because they kick harder than loose RS. Other than that, I found them more aggravation than they were worth.

If you enjoyed reading about "Side lock and pellets" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!