A scope that accentuates the rifle?

PDA

The Grand Baboon
November 18, 2012, 11:38 PM
This may seem as a odd request, but I'm in the market for a scope for a CZ550 FS.

The rifle has a full-length mannlicher stock. I'm looking for a scope that, other than being a quality piece of glass, looks good on the rifle.

I don't know if it's just me, but most modern scopes look odd and blocky on rifles with such a stock as the 550FS.

Are there scopes out there that would accentuate the curvature and length of the mannlicher stock?

If you enjoyed reading about "A scope that accentuates the rifle?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ColtPythonElite
November 18, 2012, 11:40 PM
Old school steel Weaver.

VAPOPO
November 19, 2012, 12:08 AM
Dont overlook the mounts either a classic Manlicher stocked rifle should have classy mounts. E.A.W. Claw mounts are the best looking mounts I've ever seen. As far as scopes I like the looks of a low powered variable with a small diameter objective

creeper1956
November 19, 2012, 12:10 AM
Are there scopes out there that would accentuate the curvature and length of the mannlicher stock?
Mannlicher stocked rifles just seem to cry out for a retro scope, so the previously mentioned Weaver, perhaps a Super Slam Euro in 1.5-6 x 24, is a good choice, as would be any number of relatively small objective bell (or no "bell"), short bodied European scopes. You didn't say what caliber or what magnification you need, so that's bit is a mystery.

Assuming you have a polished blue finish on action and barrel, you're going to have to do a bit of searching if you want to get a matching finish scope. There's not a lot of options these days... Polish blue scopes are getting to be really rare, black matte and silver is, sadly, the standard. Leupold has a custom shop that will do a polish blue finish on any of their scopes... but it's gonna' cost ya'. :rolleyes:

The Grand Baboon
November 19, 2012, 01:17 AM
D'oh, sorry! It's a 30-06. I'll be using for elk. The last elk I shot was at ~200 meters using a fixed 6x42. In the environment I hunt, I can't see myself going beyond 300 meters. So I don't think I need something with super whiz-bang high magnification.

Simple is good. I like simple.

creeper1956
November 19, 2012, 01:33 AM
Plenty of scopes that will function nicely in that capacity... so it's back to the finish. Black matte... boatloads. Polished blue... have fun with that.

Last year I fit a Horus Talon (http://www.horusvision.com/talon.php) scope (really neat illuminated ranging reticle by the way) to a friends Steyr... looks really nice, partly because the scope is short at under 11 inches, but it's matte black in polished Talley rings on a blued barreled action.

It really doesn't matter what brand as long as you don't put a junk scope on such a nice rifle... I think everyone would agree, well, most everyone, that a short, small/no bell scope looks most excellent on mannlichers.

MachIVshooter
November 19, 2012, 02:21 AM
Definitely don't want a case of rifle hanging off a scope with this one.

I'd go with a 4x, 2-7x, 2.5-8x. No more than a 33mm objective.

Can't see the finish of your rifle, so I don't know whether to recommend matte, satin or polished finish.

swag
November 19, 2012, 05:26 AM
Saw an old older Tikka Mannlicher at the range last weekend that I've admired before, sporting a new Leupold vx3 1.5-5. The combination of short barrel, long stock, short scope, looked like it was meant to be there. Would 5x be enough? Does anyone do that style of scope in 2-7? Had a beautiful leather sling with brass attachements looked pretty vintage as well. I was a bit embarrassed when he asked what i was shooting that day cause i'd bought 2 plastic fantastics with me.

Abel
November 19, 2012, 05:38 AM
You don't want some 60's era scope on your elk rifle. Get a modern scope that can withstand the weather that you will encounter.

Just get a scope that isn't so large, with a 32mm objective. Or go even smaller; a 1-5x20mm size would be the ticket.

http://www.google.com/url?source=imglanding&ct=img&q=http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6173/6170824491_8156c8c135_o.jpg&sa=X&ei=8guqUIjCFsuo0AG1zYGwBA&ved=0CAwQ8wc4FA&usg=AFQjCNFTsqwW6sAgdkPZJxQ8zRn_VpZQEQ

stubbicatt
November 19, 2012, 08:40 AM
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j187/stubbicatt/mannlicherschoenaurwnikonscope2_zps938e4e2c.jpg

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j187/stubbicatt/mountsleftside_zps1b1c4da9.jpg

I agree that the scope with no objective bell looks swell on the rifle. So long as the optic does what you want it to do. Here is a Nikon on my Mannlicher Schoenaur. I do not think that aesthetically it complements the rifle, BUT I use the rifle for coyotes and prairie dogs, so in my circumstance I let function trump form.

Lastly, the EAW mounts on here allow one to quickly remove the scope which is on there, and if one has a more aesthetically pleasing scope, quickly mount it on the same bases, if one has the $$$ for another set of rings.

desidog
November 19, 2012, 11:12 AM
^ I think i'd trade the removable aspect for some cheek, or even chin, weld. That scope looks way too high for me to shoot accurately with it. YMMV.

Driftertank
November 19, 2012, 11:30 AM
K4 classic anniversary?

http://www.opticsplanet.com/weaver-riflescopes-weaver-4x38-k4-80th-anniversary-scope.html

http://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/880x660/primary/122/122430.jpg

chrome_austex
November 19, 2012, 11:31 AM
A Leupold 1-4x or 2-7x33 is what looks best to me.

The Grand Baboon
November 19, 2012, 12:04 PM
I've never actually been able to use a Euro style scope. With such a small objective lens, how do they do in lower light scenarios? What disadvantages do they have over a scope with a larger objective lens?

Edit: It also seems to me that scopes that are a bit longer, even if they do have a bell, look decent too.

Edit x2:
Here's a picture. Maybe it's just because of the sunshade, but this doesn't look too bad.
http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/uploads/monthly_03_2008/post-2267-1206545576.jpg

CraigC
November 19, 2012, 12:15 PM
I have long had a very soft spot for a full-stock rifle with a straight tube Leupold mounted in vertically split rings. I blame it on Ross Seyfried's .22Hornet article of nearly 30yrs ago. He had a little Kimber Hornet Continental with a matte finished Leupold VX-III 1.5-5x in polished blue Kimber vertically split rings. Not long after I found a lovely Sako Mannlicher 6.5x55 with the same scope but couldn't swing the $1000 price tag. Visions of those rifles still haunt my dreams. I eventually got me a Ruger #1 International and fitted it with the 1.5-5x. It wasn't much of a shooter and I sold the rifle out from under the scope. It now resides on a Ruger 77MKII .270 but that doesn't exactly scratch the itch. What comes close is this CZ 452FS that I topped with a Leupold VX-II 1-4x.

http://photos.imageevent.com/newfrontier45/rifles/large/IMG_7828b.jpg

I don't know why folks are saying it will be hard to find a nice straight tube in a gloss finish. Leupold still offers the 1.5-5x in gloss.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/116910/leupold-vx-3-rifle-scope-15-5x-20mm-duplex-reticle-gloss

Abel
November 19, 2012, 12:27 PM
Here's a picture. Maybe it's just because of the sunshade, but this doesn't look too bad.

It looks really bad on that rifle.

I've never actually been able to use a Euro style scope. With such a small objective lens, how do they do in lower light scenarios? What disadvantages do they have over a scope with a larger objective lens?

In low light, a small 20mm scope will work very well. How well a scope works in low light is more of a function of lens quality than it is objective size. A 20mm Leupold VX-3 will be better in low light than a Simmons brand 50mm.

CraigC:

That is one beautiful rifle setup. A fox squirrel doesn't stand a chance.

dirtyjim
November 19, 2012, 12:27 PM
if you have the bucks a german nickel supra magnum 1.5-6x30 would look right on a ms plus it would be more correct for an austrian gun than one of the american or japanese made scopes
http://www.nickel-ag.com/en/products/scopes/15630.aspx

RPRNY
November 19, 2012, 12:50 PM
Another vote for the Leupold VX3 1.5-5. Nice gloss scope with mod cons.

henschman
November 19, 2012, 04:27 PM
I think it would look best with a lower power scope with an objective that is the same diameter as the tube, like most 1-4x24 scopes. Something like that is a great choice for hunting and dangerous game applications too. Something along the lines of posts #9 and #15.

Epee
November 19, 2012, 05:20 PM
Leupold with Conetrol mounts.

Yep, it's my first post ever.

viking499
November 19, 2012, 06:17 PM
I saw one the other day with a 2-7 on it. I liked the looks of it.

Float Pilot
November 19, 2012, 06:23 PM
The big problem with scopes and the CZ-550 Mannlicher style stocks, is that they have the Bavarian style drop to the butt stock.... So your eye is nice and low for IRON SIGHTS.
The Williams open sights they install are OK, but the CZ-550 really does well with old syle peep sights...

stubbicatt
November 19, 2012, 06:51 PM
^ I think i'd trade the removable aspect for some cheek, or even chin, weld. That scope looks way too high for me to shoot accurately with it. YMMV.
AH. I suspect that is why it has a high, monte carlo, comb, which was so popular during the 60s. As it is, that is the lowest set of rings available in that mount.

There are other mounts, such as side mounts, that would require the removal of wood from the stock along the side of the receiver in order to work, which might work well also.

Cheek weld is no issue on this setup, granted it would look better with the scope center line closer to the bore.

Back to OP's question, those "straight" scopes would sure look good on your rifle.

Coltdriver
November 19, 2012, 08:03 PM
Here's mine. I was not thinking too much about style points. If I had I would have probably looked at one of the 2-7x33's or maybe a 36mm objective. That size sits nice on these shorter rifles.

But I did want some good glass with a big objective with is also more in keeping with the European style. So this is a 50mm Swarovski. It has a reticle that is pretty spectacular for adjusting holdover.

You will also need to play with mounts a bit. This is absolutely as low as this scope will go on the rifle. Any lower and the bolt will hit the eyepiece.

You owe us a picture of what you decide on!

Caliper_RWVA
November 19, 2012, 10:53 PM
Abel, Craig, those are some beautiful rifles!

To the OP: keep the objectove diameter small. Also keep the scope mounts as low as possible.

ApacheCoTodd
November 20, 2012, 09:48 AM
Old school steel Weaver.
Oh yeah! 3x9 sweetly blued steel.

Haxby
November 20, 2012, 11:30 AM
SWFA has a Leupold 3X20 fixed that's longer than the 2.5X, and available in gloss finish.

And a Leupold 6X33.

I used a 1-4X20 for quite a while. Great for carrying during daylight hours. A bigger objective makes a lot of difference when it's dark outside.

CraigC
November 20, 2012, 11:39 AM
You don't need a bigger objective until you have more magnification. The important spec here is the exit pupil size, not the objective.

Haxby
November 20, 2012, 11:57 AM
You don't need a bigger objective until you have more magnification. The important spec here is the exit pupil size, not the objective.

True enough. At 3X, a 20mm objective lens works as well as a 40mm. Turn the 40mm up to 6X, though, and it will work in a lot less light than a 20 will at any magnification.

SwampWolf
November 30, 2012, 06:28 PM
Quote:

It looks really bad on that rifle.

I've got to agree. That set-up looks terrible and probably handles as bad as it looks. It's a personal thing, I guess, but I want as little of a scope on a rifle that I can get away with. For far-away targets (such as when varmint hunting), on an appropiately configured rifle, larger scopes with big objective housings have their place. But if I'm hunting with a light, streamlined rifle, I want a scope on it that will complement its petite size, both in terms of no more than needed magnification and quick handling and carrying properties.

Savage99
November 30, 2012, 11:58 PM
Nickel scope price 2881 euros = 3744.7238 US dollars

Ar180shooter
December 1, 2012, 12:32 AM
K4 classic anniversary?

http://www.opticsplanet.com/weaver-riflescopes-weaver-4x38-k4-80th-anniversary-scope.html

http://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/880x660/primary/122/122430.jpg
You don't need an objective bigger than 28mm on a 4x scope. It looks way too big for what it is IMO.

The Grand Baboon
December 4, 2012, 09:33 PM
I probably should have made this known when I started this thread, but I actually didn't have the rifle in my possession. I had just ordered it.

It finally arrived.

I almost don't want to put a scope on it, it'd almost be a disservice to the rifle ;)

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m522/zreed042/Hunting/cz550.jpg

Anyway, I think I've decided on a Leupold VX-3 1.5-5x 20mm, I just have to find some 20mm gloss rings that will allow the bolt to clear and will mount to the receiver correctly.

CraigC
December 4, 2012, 11:36 PM
Did you pay extra for upgraded wood? That thing is gorgeous!!!

Flatbush Harry
December 5, 2012, 12:16 AM
I have two international full stock rifles, both Ruger 77RSIs, one in .308 Win and one in .270 Win. I mounted Leupold VX3 scopes in 2.5-8x34 on each, as I did on my Ruger No. 1 in 6.5x55. Their size and weight is perfect for these rifles. You may want to consider them.

FH

RCArms.com
December 5, 2012, 12:33 AM
WOW....... That Wood stock is AWESOME. Fantastic flame striping on the left side. Is that how you received it or did you oil it and hand rub it out?

I'm with you on the "enjoy as is" for a bit. Very nice.

Don

Abel
December 5, 2012, 05:55 AM
The new VX-3 glass will give you great low light visibility, even with the 20mm objective. Heck, even the VX-2 would have been fine, but clearly you are a man of means! That wood is frickin' schweeeet!

The Grand Baboon
December 5, 2012, 09:29 AM
Thanks guys. To those wondering, the rifle is 100% stock from the factory. The way it appears is the way it was received. I didn't pay a single dime extra. It's mostly a matter of good lighting when the picture was taken.

I don't know how much of a man of means I am, lol! It'll probably be after the next semester of school before I have the funds for a nice VX-3.

About the finish of the gun. The manual says that the stock is finished with a semi-matte polyurethane coat. What can I do to polish the stock and bring out more of the figuring?

CraigC
December 5, 2012, 11:02 AM
I wouldn't do a thing to it! Once you get the scope mounted, it's gonna be one more fine lookin' rifle and good for anything one might encounter. Your rifle makes me want one real bad! ;)

stubbicatt
December 5, 2012, 12:59 PM
Amazing wood on that. Simply gorgeous. What caliber?

The Grand Baboon
December 5, 2012, 01:21 PM
It's a 30-06.

amflyer
December 5, 2012, 02:00 PM
As a hunting rifle, you really need accuracy in the department of 0.3 to 0.5 MOA max for 10-shots. As this has a flimsy and poorly constructed wood stock, your chances of this are next to nothing.

I will trade you a nice plastic-stocked Savage, which is beautiful in it's utility, for this questionable tool. You only need pay shipping and transfer fees.

(PS. if it's not too much trouble, please have the 1.5-5 VX-III mounted before you ship. Not that it will matter, of course. )

amflyer
December 5, 2012, 02:03 PM
Oh, and PS: If you don't use the CZ-specific Talley rings (case-hardened, of course) you are a man of poor taste and not to be taken seriously.

The Grand Baboon
December 6, 2012, 02:13 AM
Oh, and PS: If you don't use the CZ-specific Talley rings (case-hardened, of course) you are a man of poor taste and not to be taken seriously.

But how will I ever find a scope that is case hardened as well??? :rolleyes:

Abel
December 6, 2012, 06:10 AM
The case hardened scope rings look great on a black VX-3.

BluegrassDan
December 6, 2012, 07:26 PM
Leupold VX3!

ttheel
December 6, 2012, 07:34 PM
VX3 all the way.

Coal Dragger
December 6, 2012, 07:54 PM
Go buy a 2.5-8X36 Leupold VX3 and live happily ever after with first rate glass that looks good, works even better, and is the right size for a nice trim rifle.

I have one that has now been on about three different rifles, the rifles went away but I liked the scope so well it stayed. Now is it on a Cooper M57 .22LR where it will stay.

Abel
December 6, 2012, 07:54 PM
http://www.google.com/url?source=imglanding&ct=img&q=http://www.mjtulogunmakers.com/images/talleylsmall.jpg&sa=X&ei=Ij7BUJOuOKq_0QHxvYCgCA&ved=0CAsQ8wc&usg=AFQjCNEA_Y4P8q74Q42UeY5WI0LMtRkhNg

The Grand Baboon
December 6, 2012, 08:08 PM
Hmm, can't say that I'm a fan. I think I'll just go with the gloss finish on the rings.

I can't decide between the 2.5-8x36 or the 1.5-5x20.

I'll be in pretty rugged mountains of Utah and Wyoming. I can't see myself in any situation where I have to take a shot beyond 300 yards. I'm wondering if 5x on the 20mm will be noticeably darker than the 36mm.

CraigC
December 6, 2012, 08:55 PM
I think I would need a color case hardened receiver to put those rings on.

Coal Dragger
December 6, 2012, 09:18 PM
The 2.5-8X36 will give you the ability to see a little bit better if you are faced with a longer shot, and it is honestly not that much larger.

At 5x a 36mm objective gives you an exit pupil of a bit over 7mm which is more than your eye can probably use. The same magnification with a 20mm objective gives you a 4mm exit pupil which is probably enough for most people since your pupil may not dilate much beyond around 5-6mm anyway.

Ar180shooter
December 7, 2012, 11:32 AM
I probably should have made this known when I started this thread, but I actually didn't have the rifle in my possession. I had just ordered it.

It finally arrived.

I almost don't want to put a scope on it, it'd almost be a disservice to the rifle ;)

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m522/zreed042/Hunting/cz550.jpg

Anyway, I think I've decided on a Leupold VX-3 1.5-5x 20mm, I just have to find some 20mm gloss rings that will allow the bolt to clear and will mount to the receiver correctly.
That's purrrdy. :D

I6turbo
December 7, 2012, 01:01 PM
As some have more or less said, I would not pick a scope on appearances alone, but would rather favor more functional optics (of course, functionality depends upon your intended use and ability). To me, a scope that "looks good" but handicaps the shooter in some terms of performance will never "look" as appealing to someone who knows what they are seeing. Like you, I have a 550 FS that I haven't yet scoped (see below). For a somewhat relevant comparison, I have a 527 with a 3-9x40 Redfield Revolution that I really like a lot. I'm currently using the CZ rings, but plan to find a set that mounts the scope a little lower. As you may know, the 550 is a slightly larger gun overall than the 527.
http://i1255.photobucket.com/albums/hh640/I6T/550rightsideonbag_1.jpg
http://i1255.photobucket.com/albums/hh640/I6T/IMG_5022.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "A scope that accentuates the rifle?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!