3F vs 4F

PDA

NCWanderer
November 19, 2012, 10:33 AM
I've been using 3f Goex in my NAA Super companion mainly because it's all I have on hand and the nearest place I can buy more is a hour drive away. My question is should I make the trip or is 3f ok? I don't think 3f will harm the gun, but will it perform better with 4f?
NC

If you enjoyed reading about "3F vs 4F" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MutinousDoug
November 19, 2012, 09:45 PM
Using 3f will not harm your gun. If you are getting adequate ignition, accuracy and velocity with 3f , the trip you take to find 4f is for your own amusement.
4F should be faster burning and easier to ignite. More accurate? Higher velocity? Compare your groups over a chronograph at 25 yards (if you can keep them on paper).

Patocazador
November 20, 2012, 05:15 AM
I don't have any experience shooting a small caliber like that but I imagine that the small capacity would result in a larger percentage of "swiss cheese" holes with the larger-grained powders thus producing less reliable ignition. I have shot 4F in my Ruger Old Army and not noticed a difference between the 3F and 4F.

NCWanderer
November 20, 2012, 07:27 AM
Thanks. I haven't had any ignition problems at all. Maybe I'll pick up some 4f on my next powder run,
NC

If you enjoyed reading about "3F vs 4F" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!