My Sweet Little Walther P22

PDA

savage1r
November 19, 2012, 01:25 PM
People have made comments about the fit, finish, and reliability about this little gun, but my first experience has been a great one. I used the .36gr hp bulk pack from Walmart and not one FTF, FTE or any other kind of malfunction. It's not THE most accurate .22 on the market, but I would take it out any and all day for lots of plinking fun.

VIDEO (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkxpA5SBRLM)

If you enjoyed reading about "My Sweet Little Walther P22" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Tommygunn
November 19, 2012, 02:43 PM
I have a P22 and mine has also been good.

Keep in mind that just because some people have problems with them, that doesn't mean all do. The P22 has a cheap zinc slide and it can be a problem....it can also work just fine.
There's no doubt that the Ruger Mark III and Browning Buckmarks are better guns overall, but that doesn't mean the Walther is complete junk and it doesn't mean all Rugers & Brownings work perfectly either.
It's all just generalizations.....

marb4
November 19, 2012, 03:43 PM
My P22Q is one of my favorite range "toys". Its every bit as reliable as my Ruger SR22 and Beretta 87. I have several thousand rounds through this pistol and its holding up and running like a champ.

ApacheCoTodd
November 19, 2012, 08:37 PM
Before the Smith&Walther haters take a break from beating up Taurus or whatever they do in their spare time - I'll chime in as another extremely satisfied owner. The only issue we've had with two of them is that one needed the top of the stamped slide stop smoothed (about 8 minutes including disassembly smoothing and reassembly) as it tended to shave metal off the bottom of the slide.

I highly recommend the long barrel if they're still available.

I guess there was one other thing - in open pocket carry of the short barreled one, I noticed the mag catch was easy to inadvertently activate. I fixed that by not carrying it in a pocket.

chris in va
November 20, 2012, 12:44 AM
Just don't drop it in the dirt like my friend did. The front sight went MIA and the takedown slide lever snapped off.

Kiln
November 20, 2012, 04:22 AM
I had a very problematic P22 that I only recently got rid of. Good news is that most shops will give you a decent amount of cash for one towards a trade if you ever decide to go a different direction or if it starts giving you problems.

Sounds like you've got a good one, mine wasn't. It was honestly the most annoying and problematic firearm I have ever owned in any caliber ever. I tried different types of ammo and countless other things but the gun would never run an entire mag without failure over the last few range trips. Before you ask the thing was spotless because I am very meticulous about cleanliness and we used two different magazines, experiencing constant failures with both.

I was clearing 3+ failures per magazine last time I took it out and the wife finally agreed to let me get rid of it. I replaced it with a Beretta Neos (very underrated) and thus far the Neos has been perfectly reliable over about 1,000 rounds.

Once again, glad you like your purchase but I got a bad one. I'll never give the P22 a shot again because of it.

Centurian22
November 20, 2012, 05:08 AM
Another very happy P22Q owner here. I keep it on a steady diet of CCI minimag's but feed it a few others for testing and so far the only ammo that gave me any trouble was Win bulk white box HP's. First round and 1-2 per magazine did not like to feed the next round. I bought mine used and it has a crimson trace universal rail laser which I love. Only problem (would love any advice) is the adjustable rear sight is loose. It can slide back and forth like it 'jumped' off the the threaded adjustment screw. I plan to try taking it apart or tweaking it. It's accurate to point of aim with the sight pushed to the ..... Left I think... in any case if I am unsuccessful in properly fixing it, I will employ some superglue. (Shhhh don't tell the wife it's her gun).

If you enjoyed reading about "My Sweet Little Walther P22" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!