.357 and Titegroup?

PDA

Tophernj
November 19, 2012, 06:44 PM
I looked it up. 4.6gn Titegroup under a 158gn LRN. Small pistol magnum primer.

The case just seems so... empty. Not a lot of powder. Seems weird. Any thoughts? I loaded 7 (full cylinder in a 686+) and I will run them thru unless I hear that they are dangerous. I'm sure it's safe, but it just seems so weird.

C

If you enjoyed reading about ".357 and Titegroup?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Huskerguy
November 19, 2012, 08:00 PM
I have loaded some 357 with TG powder. Yes, it is true that it does not come close to filling the case. However, TG is also not sensitive to where it is at in the case. Probably better powders for the 357 although it works fine.

Tophernj
November 19, 2012, 08:49 PM
I usually load 2400 but was looking for something different. I'll give it a shot and if I don't like it, I'll use the TG for my 9's. S'all good.

C

mnhntr
November 19, 2012, 08:51 PM
I used TG in 38+p and 357 with zero problems. I ran my 686 in IDPA and ran several thousand rounds of TG in 38 cases at +P levels topped by 140gr JHC Sierras. Great, makes Major power factor and is accurate.

rcmodel
November 19, 2012, 08:53 PM
You would do better without a Magnum primer with either Titegroup, or 2400.

Mag primers are best used with hard to ignite ball powder like H-110 / W-296.

Not needed, or desirable with light target loads, or heavy loads of 2400.

rc

Walkalong
November 19, 2012, 09:36 PM
, TG is also not sensitive to where it is at in the case. Hodgdon touts it as position insensitive, but in my testing it is no better than average in that regard when it comes to velocity.

I much prefer a slower and bulkier powder like Unique for midrange .357 loads. Not that Tightgroup cannot work, it just has so much room for error IMO.

GP100man
November 19, 2012, 09:43 PM
TG leaded where Clays was happy , IME

Loaded both to achive 950fps

Used a Lyman 357446/358429/357477 & a Lee 158gr rnfp.

AnthonyRSS
November 19, 2012, 09:59 PM
I've loaded batches of TG in every pistol cartridge I have loaded for including the .500S&W. All with positive results. Its pretty much the only powder I use for .45. I'll use it when I start loading .38s but I will probably use H110 for the .357.

Crashbox
November 19, 2012, 10:18 PM
I used to load TG all the time with 125 JHP's in .357 but never used it for cast. TiteGroup burns very clean and is economical but in my opinion it burns HOT. It's not a bad powder at all for jacketed stuff.

evan price
November 20, 2012, 04:32 AM
I load 5.0 of Titegroup under a 158 LSWC and a regular wolf small pistol powder in mixed range brass. No leading of note, shoots POI=POA in my K frame S&Ws, it's my everyday target load. Tried 6.0 but that caused sticky extraction so I went back to what Hodgdon recommends in the Cowboy Load table (5.0 titegroup) and all is good.

Yes, it's a little powder in a big case. I had a powder measure malfunction and discovered to my horror that the case was full to overflowing once. Broke down every round in the finished hopper but luckily none were bad. A screw fell out of the Autodisk and let the powder reservoir rotate with the movement of the disc. Instead of dumping the volume of powder in the disc cavity it just kept dumping. Scary.

Tophernj
November 20, 2012, 06:01 AM
I load 5.0 of Titegroup under a 158 LSWC and a regular wolf small pistol powder in mixed range brass. No leading of note, shoots POI=POA in my K frame S&Ws, it's my everyday target load. Tried 6.0 but that caused sticky extraction so I went back to what Hodgdon recommends in the Cowboy Load table (5.0 titegroup) and all is good.

Yes, it's a little powder in a big case. I had a powder measure malfunction and discovered to my horror that the case was full to overflowing once. Broke down every round in the finished hopper but luckily none were bad. A screw fell out of the Autodisk and let the powder reservoir rotate with the movement of the disc. Instead of dumping the volume of powder in the disc cavity it just kept dumping. Scary.
Glad you caught that one!

Thanks to all for the re-assurance. Gonna head to the range tomorrow evening and check them out.

C

beatledog7
November 20, 2012, 08:24 AM
Using such a fast powder negates the design advantages of the .357, the reasons why it came into being. I understand why one might do it, and sure it'll safely go bang, but for me, that's why God made the .38SPL.

I load my .357 cases with slower powders (2400, #9, H110), albeit at a much higher cost per round, to produce the sort of round the .357 is meant to be. If I want plinkers, I load .38SPL cases. Many folks load .357 cases as if they were .38SPL cases, and they have valid reasons, but it's not me.

If you enjoyed reading about ".357 and Titegroup?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!