Recommnded Gun Lubricants?

PDA

G11354
November 20, 2012, 07:33 AM
I've been using "Break Free CLP" for years with great results but I thought I would ask some more experienced shooters for their opinions.

Also, does anyone have input regarding the use of motor oils such as Mobile 1 Synthetic as gun lube?

If you enjoyed reading about "Recommnded Gun Lubricants?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MaterDei
November 20, 2012, 07:47 AM
In my kit I've got Hoppes, Smith and Wesson Premium, Kleen Bore Formula Three, Remoil, and something called Pro-Gold that I got many years ago.

Earlier this week I ordered some CLP because I ran out.

You're using the best, don't mess with the rest. :)

Certaindeaf
November 20, 2012, 08:07 AM
Channel #5.
Just a dab in the rail channels and you're good.. it's like $200 an ounce. j/k

M-Cameron
November 20, 2012, 08:31 AM
50/50 mix of ATF and 10W30 has been working great for me.

Sam1911
November 20, 2012, 08:36 AM
I use straight Auto Transmission Fluid for just about everything. Works just fine.

I shoot various firearms in lots of different conditions -- pretty much anything except dry and sandy, and usually in practical match situations. I also tend to run my guns "dirty" and usually don't clean at intervals of less than 500-1,000 rounds. I've never found myself believing that my lube has let me down, or that a better one would have prevented some malfunction.

But sometimes is is fun to have the most expensive, high-speed, exxxtreme conditions gun oil, I guess.

Certaindeaf
November 20, 2012, 08:51 AM
I use ATF too.

303tom
November 20, 2012, 08:54 AM
Lucas................

WoodchuckAssassin
November 20, 2012, 09:08 AM
I've been using FP-10 for quite a while, and I've been real happy with it. Then again, I've never used a lube that I thought "didn't work."

One thing I've never used is grease. I hear it's good to use on the slide, but I've still always stuck with FP-10 for everything.

navystang
November 20, 2012, 09:11 AM
i use a 50/50 mix of atf and marvel mystery oil

BSA1
November 20, 2012, 09:18 AM
Whatever you choose NO WD-40! :what:

WD-40 has a long documeted history of gumming up the actions of firearms since the late 1970's. I had a 20 year old previously owned 9mm semi-auto start giving me misfires this year which I traced to gummed up firing pin channel and firing pin spring. Cleaned it out, lightly reoiled with CLP. It is in the middle of a 500 round test fire without cleaning right now without any problems. (I demand my semi-autos used for S.D./H.D. run trouble free for at least 500 round without cleaning).

bullet1104
November 20, 2012, 09:19 AM
Mobil 1

chevyman097
November 20, 2012, 09:20 AM
I use CLP

G11354
November 20, 2012, 09:21 AM
I use WD-40 for cleaning my guns but never as a lubricant.

breakingcontact
November 20, 2012, 09:21 AM
Exxxtreme Awesome, reminds me of the military Zapplesauce.

(I demand my semi-autos used for S.D./H.D. run trouble free for at least 500 round without cleaning). Why? I know you want reliability for a defense gun, so desiring a certain round count without hiccup makes sense to me, but why without cleaning?

Hunterdad
November 20, 2012, 10:20 AM
My 3 are CLP, Rem-Oil and Lucas.

I also use STOS on my O/U.

SilentScream
November 20, 2012, 10:53 AM
FP10 is my go to lubricant. Having used CLP and various other "wonder lubes" FP10 is still the best I've used.

brnmw
November 20, 2012, 11:47 AM
If you want to spend your money on the G-96 / Frog Lube etc... type lubs and cleaners they work fine, however as an all purpose I use either Lucas Gun Oil or Pennzoil Synthetic oils as well, Carb cleaner also works for cleaning gun parts. Just be careful not to get it all over the wood finish guns.

To every man each his own but I never use WD-40 on really anything. For an all purpose oil at my house I buy Lucas Synthetic Oil Stabilizer. (In the Black Bottle)

Nicky Santoro
November 20, 2012, 11:52 AM
I've used CLP when oil was called for and Tetra grease when grease was called for. Never had any indication that anything different was needed.

wtr100
November 20, 2012, 11:54 AM
Ed's Red - equal parts Synthetic ATF, Turpentine , kerosene and acetone - my latest batch from maybe 7 years ago has 1/2 part of some really heavy weight synthetic race car oil - like maybe 90 wt Royal Line or some such brand

benEzra
November 20, 2012, 11:56 AM
I use Mobil 1.

jon_in_wv
November 20, 2012, 11:57 AM
I used to use CLP until I realized it leaves a varnish like residue on your weapons. I use Mobile 1 Motor Oil on everything now. Its mush cheaper than any other gun oil and it works as well as anything else I've tried.

I don't use grease on anything. It traps carbon, lint, and grit that would otherwise be blown out of the weapon.

Sheepdog1968
November 20, 2012, 02:37 PM
John Jardine has a special gun grease he makes that you can get off of his website. I have no way of knowing if it is measurably better. I do know John and that he is very detail oriented and that he worked/consulted with scientists to make it. As such, it's what I use outside of CLP and Rem Oil wipes.

thump_rrr
November 20, 2012, 04:31 PM
Militec 1 works really well.
It can be used wet or dry.
This is a company that puts its money where its mouth is in supporting US troops.
http://www.militec-1.com/articles/Md_Indep_07302004.html

Warp
November 20, 2012, 04:39 PM
I use FrogLube on my AR and I like it.

I use Slip 2000 EWL on the rest.

For some guns it really doesn't matter. I don't think my Glocks probably even actually need any lube, but I still use the Slip 2000.

Synthetic motor oil is probably a fine choice, but I haven't done it myself.

sansone
November 20, 2012, 04:39 PM
I like thin synthetic motor oil (5w20wt) my truck uses that anyway..
viscosity & color reminds me of Rem-oil

edit: got an idea, I'll fill 20 tiny bottles with one quart and sell it like snake oil

PTMCCAIN
November 20, 2012, 04:41 PM
Bacon grease.

NYH1
November 20, 2012, 04:55 PM
I use FP10.

NYH1.

il.bill
November 20, 2012, 05:32 PM
I use Lucas Gun Oil for general lube and storage protection, and a 50/50 mix of Lucas and Mobil 1 for cold winter weather lubrication. Hoppes #9 and Kano Kroil work great for clean up after shooting.

fanchisimo
November 20, 2012, 05:39 PM
A few months ago I started using Breakfree CLP, and it works better than the other stuff I have tried. Haven't tried motor oil, though.

doubleh
November 20, 2012, 05:59 PM
Another Mobil 1 user. If it needs grease it's synthetic wheel bearing grease.

jcwit
November 20, 2012, 06:45 PM
Mobil 1

jimmyraythomason
November 20, 2012, 06:51 PM
WD-40 has a long documeted history of gumming up the actions of firearms since the late 1970's:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:Not this again!

jimmyraythomason
November 20, 2012, 06:52 PM
Use whatever oil you want. It's all good.

Jim Watson
November 20, 2012, 06:56 PM
I lubed a gun today with my first production of Ox Snot - the Texas term for Mobil 1 + STP.
Seemed to cycle pretty slick.

I have lubed guns with a variety of products labeled for guns and machinery. They all work as long as you keep some on there. A gun does not have an oil pan, oil pump, or oil filter and if it is not on the working surfaces, it isn't anywhere.

I have so many samples and trial balloons that I doubt I will ever have to buy gun lube again.

jcwit
November 20, 2012, 06:59 PM
Use whatever oil you want. It's all good.

Yup! Even the stuff they sell at the gun store for 5 bucks for 4 oz., which BTW comes out to $160 a gallon.

Warp
November 20, 2012, 07:04 PM
Thankfully I don't think I will buy, let alone use, a gallon of lubricant for my guns in my lifetime.

jcwit
November 20, 2012, 07:08 PM
Maybe you do not have as large a collection as I have.

Best

November 20, 2012, 07:08 PM
Break Free LP.

HoosierQ
November 20, 2012, 07:12 PM
50/50 mix of Mobile 1 and Marvels. CLP too.

flatlander937
November 20, 2012, 07:14 PM
I got a bottle of Hoppes oil... mainly for the bottle.

Going to fill it up with 5W30 Mobil 1 after it runs out(I might just dump it out... it is very very thin and seems to "dry up" quickly, though I've had no actual issues yet).

I have found that regular old 75-90 gear oil(Valvoline non-synthetic) works REALLY well for wiping onto the finish of my pistols, then wiping off/buffing. It keeps the surface slick for a good while, and doesn't come off in your hands once it's wiped off. People say they can't stand gear oil, it doesn't bother me but even still you use so little that it's hardly noticeable while cleaning, and unless you smell your gun you'd never smell it once it's wiped on and off.

edit: I do use Break Free CLP though, my wife HATES the smell of Hoppes cleaner, so I've been using it. For my 91/30 and 22/45, I use just the CLP, my 1911 and CM9 get wiped clean with it, but then apply drops of oil where needed.

Warp
November 20, 2012, 07:15 PM
Maybe you do not have as large a collection as I have.

Best

It doesn't take much lube to run a Glock or revolver...and a gallon is a LOT of lube, even when running ARs.

Lube is way, WAY down the list of expenses for the shooting hobby.

1 old 0311-1
November 20, 2012, 07:16 PM
If it rolls I use CLP, or Mobil 1. If it slides RIG Universal Grease.

ZGunner
November 20, 2012, 07:21 PM
I use Remoil and Break Free CLP. I prefer CLP for internal moving parts and Remoil for external stuff. I feel that the CLP is better suited for long term storage.

KAS1981
November 20, 2012, 07:33 PM
I've been using Ballistol for cleaning, and synthetic motor oil for lube. Recently I decided to just use Ballistol for the lube, as well. My Sig 1911, which has a really tight slide/frame fit, ran just fine.

I think folks tend to over think the whole gun lube thing. I've been guilty of it, as well.

Certaindeaf
November 20, 2012, 07:45 PM
Thankfully I don't think I will buy, let alone use, a gallon of lubricant for my guns in my lifetime.
I know it's not really a lube per se but you know that guy Hickok45 on utoobe? He uses about a can of Balistol per gun when he cleans one, which is probably every time he shoots one.. he's done multiple cleaning videos and he usually is blasting an empty can or two in many of his videos.
I just thought that was kinda interesting in an odd way.

jimmyraythomason
November 20, 2012, 07:48 PM
I think folks tend to over think the whole gun lube thing. Indeed!

Ehtereon11B
November 20, 2012, 11:55 PM
Depends on the cleaning. I use Breakfree CLP for most jobs because its cheaper and available in more places. For deeper cleanings I use G96 triple action. Harder to find and more expensive.

littleguns223
November 21, 2012, 11:30 AM
Kroil oil for cleaning up after shooting. CLP and Motor Kote for all my internal moving parts.

ghitch75
November 21, 2012, 11:36 AM
FP-10

Steve H
November 21, 2012, 11:42 AM
Lucas................

I like Lucas also but the container/dispenser it comes in is awful.

Ky Larry
November 21, 2012, 11:53 AM
My grandfather used Singer Sewing Machine oil on his Winchester Model-12 shotgun for over 50 years. My uncle has this shotgun now and still uses Singer oil on it and it still runs fine. Keep your guns clean and lubed with the products of your choice. They all work.

Certaindeaf
November 21, 2012, 11:54 AM
I like Lucas also but the container/dispenser it comes in is awful.
I use all kinds of old containers for different oils.
One of my favorite is a contact lens cleaner (girlfriend).. just pry the cap off and snap back down.

http://assets0.sharedreviews.net/images/reviews/55738/thumb_solution_buasch_lomb_biotrue-fp-d68fccbff2b59df845e9fa7032e95911.jpg

Whacked
November 21, 2012, 02:07 PM
My grandfather used Singer Sewing Machine oil
Funny you mention that.
Singer Sewing Machines made the .50 Cal we had on our ship (USS Stein FF 1065)

I use CLP for the most part. I've tried others but always seem to come back to CLP

For my black powder, I use a Ballistol/water mix

esheato
November 21, 2012, 02:19 PM
FP-10 for darn near everything. The sole exception is EWL for the AR in the oil category. Grease is used only on bolt action lugs. RIG fox exterior protection.

grumpy66
November 22, 2012, 07:38 PM
Been using the same tub of Mystic JT6 high-temp bearing grease on my M1a, M1 Garand, FAL, 1911's and AK's for years.

I use Lubriplate assembly lube on AR-type weapons.

AZ_Rebel
November 22, 2012, 08:50 PM
10W30 and ATF mixed 50/50. Use sparingly. Grease of any kind has no business on a carry gun - it attracts and hold dust and lint. We see pistols come in weekly so gummed up with grease that they won't function.

22-rimfire
November 22, 2012, 09:08 PM
Small question... Breakfree CLP... does it ever go bad if not used?

Added: Answer after searching the internet sources: Manufacturer says it has about a 6-month shelf life. Which probably means it has at least double that. If it thickens, you are probably loosing the volatiles.

Esoxchaser
November 22, 2012, 09:22 PM
I use Quantum Hot Sauce, both the grease and the oil on my firearms.

powderx
November 22, 2012, 09:29 PM
Eezox and EWL.

TreeDoc
November 23, 2012, 12:04 AM
Break free for a few years, finally ran out. Changing to Ballisto

2nd 41
November 23, 2012, 07:23 AM
TriFlow. Best all around lube I ever used.

TrueTexan
November 23, 2012, 04:43 PM
Okay I'll be the one, I use Frog Lube it has worked great on all my guns for over a year. I don't get any complaints from the better half about smell when I clean the guns in my office/cave. :)

Warp
November 23, 2012, 05:23 PM
Okay I'll be the one, I use Frog Lube it has worked great on all my guns for over a year. I don't get any complaints from the better half about smell when I clean the guns in my office/cave. :)

I already said that I use and like FrogLube. ;)

SlamFire1
November 25, 2012, 10:39 AM
Also, does anyone have input regarding the use of motor oils such as Mobile 1 Synthetic as gun lube?

Automotive lubricants are the cheapest and best for the money lubricants you can find.

Not so good for rust prevention, takes special additives for that, if you want long term rust prevention you need to use RIG grease. CLP is a short term rust preventative, I have never tested CLP and Automotive oils to compare rust prevention but I will bet someone has.

HARV6
November 25, 2012, 02:04 PM
Ballistol for general cleaning, and putting a light film on parts with a rag to keep them from rusting. When I need more lubrrication than that, I use Valvoline full synthetic 20w-50 dispensed from an empty contact solution bottle.

kimberkid
November 25, 2012, 02:49 PM
Yup! Even the stuff they sell at the gun store for 5 bucks for 4 oz., which BTW comes out to $160 a gallon.
Yeah, but you don't get 32 - 4oz bottles for free, much less the printing, packaging, labor, shipping ... And whatever else is involved for free ... Which is why it would be cheaper by the gallon if you can buy it that way!

morgaj1
November 25, 2012, 07:59 PM
I recently began using Gunzilla and I am sold on it. It cleans better than Breakfree CLP and is non toxic. For oil, I like Slip 2000 EWL.

doc2rn
November 25, 2012, 08:01 PM
I used to use CLP, now I use Mr Berryhills wonder lube.

armedandsafe
November 25, 2012, 11:14 PM
Ballistol and Marvel Mystry Oil, here. I keep a bit of graphite powder and black gear lube on hand for the machine shop and will use a dab on the slides of the semiautos.

Pops

primalmu
November 25, 2012, 11:17 PM
I use a 50:50 mix of transmission fluid and 10W-30 synthetic oil. Works great for me!

juanjo322
November 25, 2012, 11:36 PM
I've only used Wilson's synthetic oil and cleaner .. I don't clean my guns often though a syringe set lasts me about 3 years.. Give or take and I own about 22 rifles.. And a single .22 handgun

jon_in_wv
December 2, 2012, 01:57 PM
I stated I use Mobile 1 Motor Oil on my guns and have for years. Some have mentioned using grease. I do not recommend any grease on firearms. I oil my weapons with a very light coat. Most people over oil rather than use to little. Extra oil and especially grease traps all the carbon and grit it comes in contact with rather than letting it blow or migrate out of the weapon. Drop a dry weapon in the sand, shake it off and the sand falls away. Cover that same weapon in oil or grease and see how much more sticks to the weapon instead of falling away. I understand some guns, like some 1911s, like to run "wetter" to run properly and I would recommend cleaning them more often to get all the crap out of them but in general less is more with firearms.

Warp
December 2, 2012, 02:23 PM
I stated I use Mobile 1 Motor Oil on my guns and have for years. Some have mentioned using grease. I do not recommend any grease on firearms. I oil my weapons with a very light coat. Most people over oil rather than use to little. Extra oil and especially grease traps all the carbon and grit it comes in contact with rather than letting it blow or migrate out of the weapon. Drop a dry weapon in the sand, shake it off and the sand falls away. Cover that same weapon in oil or grease and see how much more sticks to the weapon instead of falling away. I understand some guns, like some 1911s, like to run "wetter" to run properly and I would recommend cleaning them more often to get all the crap out of them but in general less is more with firearms.

Depends on the gun.

For an AR15/M4 type rifle, more lube is better. A lot of people under-lube.

Wet sand cycles easier than dry sand.

45_auto
December 2, 2012, 04:13 PM
For an AR15/M4 type rifle, more lube is better. A lot of people under-lube.

Wet sand cycles easier than dry sand.

Never heard that before. Seems the military has the opposite opinion and believes in running the weapon as dry as possible when in a sandy environment.

US Army M16 Manual, page 2-40:

http://ia600404.us.archive.org/0/items/OperatorsManualForM16M16a1/OperatorsManualForM16M16a1_text.pdf

Warp
December 2, 2012, 04:18 PM
Never heard that before. Seems the military has the opposite opinion and believes in running the weapon as dry as possible when in a sandy environment.

US Army M16 Manual, page 2-40:

http://ia600404.us.archive.org/0/items/OperatorsManualForM16M16a1/OperatorsManualForM16M16a1_text.pdf

If you have never heard that before, you have never looked into it before.

On an M4/AR15 type rifle, more lube is better.

You can go by some manual from nearly 30 years ago if you want, but that wont' change anything.

Warp
December 2, 2012, 04:34 PM
Here is one of the best single threads on the subject, with plenty of well qualified input, and reasons WHY lube is good

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=54609&highlight=lube

Warp
December 2, 2012, 04:40 PM
Also:

http://www.ar15.com/content/swat/keepitrunning.pdf

By Pat Rogers

"One of the very prominent AR myths is that the gun runs better dry. It is a myth.

The AR series runs significantly better wet than dry, but there are those who approach this with such great trepidation that they steadfastly refuse to use only a tiny bit of lube on their carbines, causing them to cease functioning after a very short while.

Hundreds of e-net posts speak of using little lube on the carbines, believing that too much lube is the cause of all problems.

A friend, a retired Marine MSgt and a prolific Class 3 collector, looks at lube like it was two-day old cat urine, and is absolutely phobic about putting anything more than a drop or two on any gun.

Our experience is that, after poor magazines and operator-induced malfunctions, dry guns are a major cause of stoppages."

Al Thompson
December 2, 2012, 06:40 PM
Ditto wet, not dry. I've seen several Youtube videos where AR platforms were malfunctioning in a fight. If you look closely, the BCGs are dry.

Another point - that TM is from 1985. There was not much desert training prior to that as the NTC had just opened up in (IIRC) 1984. ;)

wojownik
December 3, 2012, 01:04 AM
Have been using CLP for years.

In my AKs, I've taken to using Lukoil (no kidding) picked up a bottle of 5w40. Seemed fitting :D You can find it here and there in the U.S., usually in English. I found a bottle in Cyrillic and couldn't resist.

http://lukoil-lubricants.com/f/product/00113/1b.jpg

dirtengineer
December 3, 2012, 03:52 AM
M-Pro-7

http://www.mpro7.com/mpro7-gun-oil-lpx.html

Girodin
December 3, 2012, 04:32 AM
I am really curious what people mean specifically when they are saying that one type of lube is much better than others they've used. Better in what sense?

Carl N. Brown
December 3, 2012, 05:37 AM
Sometimes it is just what works well for the individual, the guns they use, and the way they use them. I bet if I were in Arizona instead of Tennessee I might change my favorite gun oils and cleaners and protectants for storage.

Most gun kits I bought as a kid contained a nitro solvent for cleaning and a clear oil for lubricant and a gun grease in a tube that looked like cosmoline.

I have been preferring Break Free CLP (cleaner lubricant protectant) since it was recommended by a family friend who was in 82nd Airborne starting back in the 1980s. If there is room in the bag for one bottle, Break Free goes in. My experience is it fills the lubricant role better than cleaner or long term protectant. You can find better products for the three roles of liquids in gun maintenance, and specialty items within the three roles.

I tend to buy large bottles Hoppes#9 and Break Free CLP, refilling smaller bottles for the home cleaning kit and range bags.

I have also had 10W nondetergent motor oil recommended to me as a lubricant; as I recall it seemed to be as effective the more expensive product-specific clear gun oils. For that I have use Outers and Remington brand gun oils, probably the only reason is the convenient bottle size.

I have not used ATF and have no reason or rumor to doubt it works too. It appears to be a fine alternative.

On "running wet or dry", I clean AK or AR wiping after cleaning with solvent, using a lightly oiled cloth to leave a bare sheen of oil on parts, then use Q-tip or pipe cleaner to oil all metal-to-metal contact surfaces (which are fewer on the AK). I tend to leave surfaces directly exposed to hot gas dry not wet.

Before I duck for cover, WD40 and 3-in-1 can be used on disassembled parts as cheap cleaners if they are wiped off before re-assembly; over time (storage) WD40 solvent evaporates leaving behind a wax (that's how water displacement works), and 3-in-1 appears to both evaporate somewhat and oxidize into a varnish.

Centurian22
December 3, 2012, 11:14 AM
For those who use Mobil 1 synthetic, what weight do you use and does it matter?

Carne Frio
December 3, 2012, 11:19 AM
I have used Mobil 1 full synthetic 0W-20.
But I also live where it gets cold. It is
currently -37F, at the airport. I try not
to shoot when it gets below zero.:D
Gunzilla is my current favorite. It is non
toxic and doesn't have a strong odor.

jon_in_wv
December 15, 2012, 10:49 AM
I agree ARs run better wet than than dry but that is the exception rather than the rule and this thread wasn't started as an AR thread so I would think it was understood what I was saying. As far as the "wet" sand vs dry sand, its better to have LESS sand in your weapon and I would also stand by what I said for MOST cases. The world doesn't begin and end with the AR in every discussion.

Warp
December 15, 2012, 12:16 PM
I agree ARs run better wet than than dry but that is the exception rather than the rule and this thread wasn't started as an AR thread so I would think it was understood what I was saying. As far as the "wet" sand vs dry sand, its better to have LESS sand in your weapon and I would also stand by what I said for MOST cases. The world doesn't begin and end with the AR in every discussion.

Depends on the gun. The AR is a type of gun. It is popular. And it is better with more lube than less.

jimmyraythomason
December 15, 2012, 12:27 PM
Depends on the gun.Agree mostly but HOW it is used is more important (for lubrication)than what it is. An AR (or Ak,et.al.)type is more likely to be fired rapidly and for longer periods than other type of arms causing more heat build up and needing more lube or a higher viscosity for sufficient protection.

Certaindeaf
December 15, 2012, 07:29 PM
I use all kinds of old containers for different oils.
One of my favorite is a contact lens cleaner (girlfriend).. just pry the cap off and snap back down.

http://assets0.sharedreviews.net/images/reviews/55738/thumb_solution_buasch_lomb_biotrue-fp-d68fccbff2b59df845e9fa7032e95911.jpg
So I was just sitting here willing the nozzle of that pictured squeeze bottle to grow a few inches. That didn't work. What did work was slapping my forehead and sticking one of those plastic tubes that comes with every can of spray oil etc. into the hole. It fits/works perfectly. yay

777TRUTH
December 15, 2012, 10:16 PM
I've tried many things.

Right now working with Ballistol but over the years I finda 50/50 mix of Penzoil 10w30 and STP engine treatment or MMO work as good as anything.

CharlieDeltaJuliet
December 15, 2012, 11:09 PM
I use Remoil or CLP in my AR's. my newest AR (Hk) recommends CLP by name in its owners manual. So I guess I will believe them....

J_A_C
December 15, 2012, 11:22 PM
I'm liking frog lube pretty well

P5 Guy
December 16, 2012, 12:15 PM
Mobil 1 and EP2 grease.

twofifty
December 16, 2012, 08:52 PM
Anybody try air compressor oil, the stuff you put in air nailers?

orionengnr
December 16, 2012, 11:33 PM
I have used a bunch of different ones.
Eezox is my favorite, but I only use it on guns which will sit for a while, because it is the best there is when it comes to corrosion protection.
http://www.thegunzone.com/rust.html
http://www.6mmbr.com/corrosiontest.html
For general CLP duties on handguns that get shot frequently, I use Ed's Red.
Equal parts ATF, diesel fuel, acetone and mineral spirits.

If you enjoyed reading about "Recommnded Gun Lubricants?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!