Stock bedding question

PDA

scythefwd
November 20, 2012, 10:52 AM
What is you're preferred bedding compound, and why. Right now its between arcoglass, devcon, or jb weld.

If you enjoyed reading about "Stock bedding question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
desidog
November 20, 2012, 12:30 PM
Brownell's Acraglass (which i first learned of here on THR.)
I don't recall the brand name i used before i found Acraglass, but i'm not going back!

dubbleA
November 20, 2012, 01:31 PM
I like and use gray Marine Tex. Easy to come by and use, easy clean up, has great properties for bedding. Like any 2 part epoxys, proper mixing ratios are the key for great results.

greyling22
November 20, 2012, 01:36 PM
how much bedding are you going to do (just the recoil lug? just the action screws? or the whole action and barrel? How broke/cheap are you? (if you just need a little, jb weld works well, if you need a lot jb can get expensive and the other products start to look good. also, are you impatient? you could have jb weld today, something you have to order.......a week at best with the holidays.

I used a few different release agents, but I've settled on 2 coats of johnsons paste wax, with a coating of pam over the top just to be so very sure. You cannot have too much release agent as far as I am concerned.

scythefwd
November 20, 2012, 02:53 PM
greyling.. Front and rear pillars/action screws, lug.

bamajoey
November 20, 2012, 05:02 PM
I have used Pro Bed 2000 on several 22's with good results. The first was done 4 years ago and it is still like the day I bedded it.

greyling22
November 20, 2012, 10:35 PM
that's not a big area. a half tube of jb weld would probably take care of it easy.

jimmyraythomason
November 20, 2012, 11:11 PM
jb weld I tried JB Weld once and was very disappointed. It was too soft. I use Brownell's Acraglas/gel. Whatever you choose be sure to use more release agent than you think you need.

Liberty1776
November 20, 2012, 11:16 PM
I love Acraglass Gel - been using it since they brought it out, what...30 yrs ago? Much easier to use than regular Acraglass. And yes, use lots more release. I use spray release and always put on at least 6 coats. Never had a problem and I've done dozens...

ogree
November 20, 2012, 11:24 PM
Marine-Tex, I use Johnsons paste wax for release agent. One can will last you a life time.
One coat of wax is enough for marine-tex, I have had to use acra-gel lately, I put on 2 coats of wax for that.
Use an old tooth brush to get the wax in areas that your fingers can't reach, the wax does not have to be heavily applied.

If you enjoyed reading about "Stock bedding question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!