225 case forming

PDA

TNBilly
November 20, 2012, 11:03 AM
I've had the idea to convert a 223 in a break action to 225 Win which would give me 22-250 ish performance and rimmed reliability in the single-shot. I've had pretty good luck in the past forming from one caliber to the next, 308 and 30/06 class cartridges, that I thought to try making up some cases from 30/30, the parent case. I necked down to 7mm, then 6mm, and finally ran the 225 FL die. In every case so far the shoulder has collapsed on me. I even had the though annealing might help but all that did was soften the shoulder enough it collapsed all the more. My thoughts are the 30/30 brass being on the thin side but..... it's been done and there should be a "proper" procedure that will work? Anyone else had success forming this case?

Ron

If you enjoyed reading about "225 case forming" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
JohnM
November 20, 2012, 11:08 AM
I form 30 Herrett from 30-30 in a single pass through the die with no problems.
That's a major reshaping of the brass.

Craigman
November 20, 2012, 11:49 AM
Maybe you should trim it a bit above spec before running it in the ..225. 30/30 is a bit longer. Don't forget to turn down the rim too.

JohnM
November 20, 2012, 12:02 PM
Biggest problem I had when I started making the 30 Herrett cases was using too much lube. Badly dented shoulders everytime :D
After learning that lesson and ruining a big handful of otherwise nice cases, I got it figured out.
A large amount has to be cut off for those cases. I have a jig set up for that and after cutting have a few thou extra for doing the final trim on a Forester.

Don't know off the top of my head how much you will need to trim for the 225, if it's not a lot you might be able to just trim to final length after forming.
Turning down the rim is another step, I don't have to mess with that one.

Main thing is the right lube to keep from crushing that weak shoulder.

TNBilly
November 20, 2012, 03:56 PM
'precciate the tips. I'd not thought about the rim being different but it is, thickness as well as diameter. I'd have to either chamber it 14 thou deeper and only use 30/30 brass or take the 14 off the thickness of the 30/30 brass. I hadn't thought as well that the extra length might be getting in the way of final forming it in the 225 die. I'll try trimming it just to see if it works. I think part of the problem is the shoulder has to be blown quite a ways forward between the two.

If you enjoyed reading about "225 case forming" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!