5.56 m855 steel core is a nasty round

PDA

sleepyone
November 20, 2012, 01:24 PM
Shot this coyote from 50 yards with my M&P 15 5.56 M4 with an Aimpoint PRO. I used the M855 steel core penetrator 62 gr. Man, it tore him up. First shot caught him in the chest and looks like it almost ripped his legs off. He went down immediately but managed to get up and push himself with his rear legs. He was thrashing like crazy so my second shot was a gut shot which also dropped him. He managed to just make it into woods and since I was deer hunting I did not leave the stand to find him. I also did not want to look for a wounded coyote at dusk in heavy brush. As it turned out, he only made it about 75 yards total. In the pics, there appears to be three wounds with one in his rib area, but that could very well be an exit wound. I shot four rounds but can confirm only two hits. I hate that I did not get a clean kill, but it was less than 30 seconds from first shot to where he dropped.

If you enjoyed reading about "5.56 m855 steel core is a nasty round" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
shaggy430
November 20, 2012, 05:05 PM
Sounds to me like there was no expansion. Most coyotes I've shot with soft points go right down. Pretty gruesome pics though.

sleepyone
November 20, 2012, 08:59 PM
I might save the M855 rounds for the hogs where a steel core might be beneficial. For other animals, the standard soft points. I have those in the x193 mil surp.

MachIVshooter
November 23, 2012, 04:45 AM
IMO, hunting with FMJ is not ethical.

Next time, use an expanding bullet. This did the trick, but not right away. I absolutely hate coyotes and will kill them at any opportunity, but I don't like any animal to suffer. I use a .17 Rem with 25 gr. HPs, and I shoot them in the head or neck.

blarby
November 25, 2012, 08:05 PM
IMO, hunting with FMJ is not ethical.

Not just your HO.... mine too.

Nobody likes predators, I'll agree.

But like all life, they serve a purpose. Ending that should have as much respect as possible.

Forcing one to limp it out while you hoofed it 50 yards to let 'em have it again is a little rough for my taste.

I would also recommend an expanding style bullet on your future endeavors.....

snakeman
November 25, 2012, 08:14 PM
Hunting with fmj's is just not right and I'm pretty sure it's illegal to deer hunt with them where I live. On the flip side a dead coyote is a dead coyote so I say keep shooting em! I would suggest leave the deer hunting and coyote hunting to soft points or homogenous controlled expansion bullets though.

alsaqr
November 25, 2012, 10:19 PM
The US military M193 and M852 ball rounds are not your normal FMJ ammunition. True, those bullets do not expand. However, at velocities in excess of about 2,500 fps they penetrate 5-7", yaw and fragment.

i've killed about 200 wild hogs using the M193 5.56mm round. About 20 of those hogs exceeded 300 pounds in weight. My shots are picked carefully and one hog got away wounded.

Military wound ballistics by Col. Martin l. Fackler:

http://bajaarizona.org/fklr/fklr.html

788Ham
November 26, 2012, 12:15 AM
Hope you're a better shot on your deer!

sleepyone
November 26, 2012, 12:48 AM
Perhaps I need to clear up some misperceptions. I had both my bolt action .270 for deer and my AR-15 in the stand and was planning on staying in my stand after dark to hunt hogs, which frequently come to my feeder right after dark, using my AR.

I don't believe in hunting deer with anything less than a .243 caliber. I use Federal Fusion 130 gr. for deer hunting. I was shocked to see what the 855 round did to the coyote and not happy with the results.

And, yes I am a very good shot with my deer. I have never had to track a single deer, ever. All have fallen where they were shot. My shots are never more than 110 yards and usually about 50. Since my first shot with the coyote was not fatal, he was thrashing wildly which made it hard for follow-up shots. I did the best I could. I think going forward I will use something other than the 855 rounds for anything other than hogs. I have talked in depth with a Marine who was tasked with keeping hogs cleared off the landing strips on a base in Louisiana and he swears by the 855 as a proven and lethal hog killer. He says the steel core gets the penetration you need on hogs and it would penetrate both shoulders and leave exit wounds the size of his fist.

blarby
November 26, 2012, 07:45 AM
The US military M193 and M852 ball rounds are not your normal FMJ ammunition. True, those bullets do not expand. However, at velocities in excess of about 2,500 fps they penetrate 5-7", yaw and fragment.

Ok.

I used the M855 steel core penetrator 62 gr. Man, it tore him up. First shot caught him in the chest and looks like it almost ripped his legs off. He went down immediately but managed to get up and push himself with his rear legs. He was thrashing like crazy so my second shot was a gut shot which also dropped him.

But still didn't kill him, as he described it going another 25 yards ........ If it takes 3-4 shots to take out a 'yote, its no wonder our boys are asking for a better combat round.

"Yah"weh indeed. Next time, I think he's right on in going for a better bullet. I'll pass on the Yaw, and the him and haw.......

If you enjoyed reading about "5.56 m855 steel core is a nasty round" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!