Lighter Bullet for Big Caliber

PDA

.333 Nitro Express
November 21, 2012, 12:10 PM
I have a Ruger N. 1 in 450/400 NE, and the only loading data I can find is for the standard 400gr bullet at approximately 2000/2100fps.

There are good 300gr spitzer bullets available (although the manufacturers list them for calibers like the 405 Win), and I'd like to work up a load that will make that caliber shoot a little flatter.

Is there a formula to extrapolate what range of safe loads I could try with the lighter bullet? For instance: if I know that 82gr of IMR 4831 will give me a safe 2050fps, and this same load would be somewhere in the mid-range of doable 300gr loads, is there a mathematical way to know how much more powder may start taking me to unsafe pressures, or is it merely a trial-and-error proposition (increase by 1 gr, inspect case, etc)?

Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "Lighter Bullet for Big Caliber" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
browningguy
November 21, 2012, 06:26 PM
Find someone with a copy of quickload and they can run pretty accurate estimates for you. Unfortunately I don't have it.

Flatbush Harry
November 21, 2012, 07:18 PM
You might try to contact the company that makes the bullet that you are interested in using. They may have experimented with such loads...if only in anticipation of folks with questions like yours.

As an example, IIRC, Sierra lists and supplies reloading data for a 200 gr .375 bullet for a .375 H&H. Now, if I'm gonna plink, it will be with a cheaper load, but some want to use their .375s that way.

FH
NRA Certified Instructor
NRA Life Member
1946-vintage Curmudgeon

Flatbush Harry
November 22, 2012, 09:42 AM
As a follow-up, this forum discussed precisely this topic.

http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=doubles&Number=112598&Searchpage=1&Main=112598&Words=+BrooksT&topic=&Search=true

FH

If you enjoyed reading about "Lighter Bullet for Big Caliber" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!