A site or pictures of ALL or MOST commercial gunpowders??

PDA

intercooler
November 22, 2012, 12:01 AM
I don't reload but we are tearing some stuff down trying to figure them out. Problem is trying to ID some of the powders are hard! I tried all kinds of Googles including images and can't get many at all. I thought this far along someone big into reloading would have a site with pics/characteristics of most or ALL powders.

Anyone have info?

Blue Dot is easy. 800-X is easy and then it gets difficult! :uhoh:

If you enjoyed reading about "A site or pictures of ALL or MOST commercial gunpowders??" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
.22-5-40
November 22, 2012, 12:20 AM
Hello, intercooler. Trying to identify various smokeless powders by sight is VERY dangerous! there is just no foolproof way of doing this..best thing is to throw on lawn...makes grass green!

intercooler
November 22, 2012, 12:52 AM
True but we also have velocity data and MFG load data to couple with them. If the suggested Min/Max isn't even in the ballpark of what we found it really really rules them out.

cfullgraf
November 22, 2012, 08:48 AM
The other aspect is that the manufactures do not use canister grade powders. They make a batch of powder, test it, then adjust the powder charge for the performance they are looking for.

As .22-5-40 said, it is not advisable to try and identify powder by looking at it.

Certaindeaf
November 22, 2012, 09:02 AM
If you don't reload why worry about it. Even if you did reload, who cares?. there's plenty of data out there.

RandyP
November 22, 2012, 09:34 AM
Are these reloads you are trying to investigate or factory ammo? If they are reloads I 'might' be possible to narrow down the potential powder to a handful of makes or types? But there is IMHO NO way to be 100% certain.

The powder if placed in a line on the ground burns nice, or it makes good fertilizer. I cannot think if any other safe use for it.

JohnM
November 22, 2012, 09:47 AM
The OP states he's not a reloader. He's missing a basic rule.
No one should try to identify a powder by looking at it.
One of the reasons why powders should ALWAYS be stored in their original containers or in one very plainly marked as to its identity.

JLDickmon
November 22, 2012, 10:27 AM
problem is, a lot of them look alike..

for instance, most all Vihta Vouri powders look identical to each other and there's at least 8 different handgun powders..

BullfrogKen
November 22, 2012, 10:51 AM
Simple answer - You can't.

Ammo manufacturers use cannister powder, which literally involves a process of blending different types of powders on a big scale to get the characteristics desired.

Why are you going through this exercise?

intercooler
November 22, 2012, 11:59 AM
I'm not talking Federal and Winchester. Non mainstream companies. Not looking for reasons or justifications in trying to sort out the powders. If you know something post it up otherwise it isn't helping me for my purposes.

I have gotten some different images which show very distinct shapes that group them to a certain line.

Certaindeaf
November 22, 2012, 12:06 PM
If it's so important to you why don't you call up the manufacturer?

BullfrogKen
November 22, 2012, 12:06 PM
If you know something post it up otherwise it isn't helping me for my purposes.

I have.

Others have.

Let me state this clearly for you.

It is not possible to positively identify powder through simple observation.

Since you don't reload why are you even going through this exercise?

JohnM
November 22, 2012, 12:07 PM
?What purposes? As has been said over and over, you can't identify smokeless powders by looks alone except for a few well known flake powders that have color tagged flakes mixed in.

intercooler
November 22, 2012, 12:09 PM
That's fine. Link to some info or site is what I'm asking. Not to micro-examine why I'm asking. Just post the info! Thanks!

BullfrogKen
November 22, 2012, 12:14 PM
Experienced reloaders have told you what you're attempting isn't possible.

You know what, this is the Handloading and Reloading forum.

This is not the "Factory Ammunition Forensic Science" forum.

Thread closed.

If you enjoyed reading about "A site or pictures of ALL or MOST commercial gunpowders??" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!