Tricks for cleaning AR style flash suppressor?

PDA

stubbicatt
November 22, 2012, 12:30 PM
OK. I know that this shouldn't bother me as much as it does, but I have a flash suppressor on my SIG556 which I cannot figure for the life of me how to clean. I can run a patch into the little slots on the outside circumference of this device, but the inside of the rifle the vanes closely approach the bore diameter and I cannot figure out how to get down in there to clean those things.

If you enjoyed reading about "Tricks for cleaning AR style flash suppressor?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
November 22, 2012, 12:33 PM
Pipe cleaners?

http://pipesandcigars.com/bjlomo7mepic.html

rc

WYOMan
November 22, 2012, 12:45 PM
I use Wipe-Out foam in my rifles. The foam will sread out through the holes of my brake, and then after I clean the bore, I use a Q-Tip and a pipe cleaner to dry and oil it.

MachIVshooter
November 22, 2012, 12:46 PM
Shotgun brushes. They're mush "squishier" than rifle and handgun bore brushes. I uses them for cleaning the bolt carrier (20 ga) and the barrel extension (12 ga). Just rotate as they go in. If it's nasty enough, I'll put a cordless drill to them.

mastiffhound
November 22, 2012, 12:52 PM
Q-tips and shotgun brushes, also I have a plastic bristle brush from a Army cleaning kit that my brother gave me. It looks like a normal toothbrush on one end and it has a small thin strip of bristles in the other end that helps. Hoppes #9 is one of my best friends too.

stubbicatt
November 22, 2012, 01:38 PM
Thanks guys. I guess there is no easy way around this. Yuck. :)

ApacheCoTodd
November 22, 2012, 01:40 PM
Brake cleaner outdoors.

MachIVshooter
November 22, 2012, 01:49 PM
Brake cleaner outdoors

Well, that's just no fun :neener:

Dr.Rob
November 22, 2012, 11:44 PM
1. Dont take it off. (I used to do that until I was told otherwise)

2. Tipton swabs (or similar) dunked in Ed's Red or Hoppe's. Work it really WET. Squeeze the excess gunk out of the swab when you are done, use it til it falls apart. (Super useful item for AR recivers, 22 cal receiver bodies etc.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/tipton-wired-handle-shooters-swabs.html

cfullgraf
November 22, 2012, 11:48 PM
I would try an aerosol solvents with a extension tube on the nozzle. Brake Clean is one or one of the aerosol gun cleaners.

Q-tips and brushes would probably help.

Outdoors would probably be prudent unless you want the solvent all over everything in the house.

Quentin
November 23, 2012, 01:04 AM
I've never given a thought to cleaning my birdcages! :p

Justin
November 23, 2012, 01:53 AM
I keep a mason jar full of Hoppe's #9. Soaking parts in it overnight is a great way to loosen a lot of the build up that gets baked on to various gun parts.

In order to clean a brake on an AR, I once put the jar of Hoppe's on the floor, secured the gun against my work bench, with the muzzle pointed down and submerged in the jar of Hoppes.

I wrapped the whole thing in copious amounts of plastic wrap to keep the fumes to a minimum, and let it soak overnight.

The setup was (pretty obviously) a kludge, but the results were great, as I was able to knock all of the built up carbon out of the brake using pipe cleaners and tooth picks. Minus the overnight soak, the actual cleaning only took about five minutes.

shrewd
November 23, 2012, 03:12 PM
you're supposed to clean those things?

If you enjoyed reading about "Tricks for cleaning AR style flash suppressor?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!