Oleg, server upgrade for THR?

PDA

Ben Shepherd
March 2, 2004, 07:29 PM
As we have seen over the last few days we may need a bigger server in the coming months. Any chance of members giving donations for this?

Maybe get some MOLON LABE or TFL gear made up with a portion of the money going to an upgrade?

Anybody else interested?

If you enjoyed reading about "Oleg, server upgrade for THR?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
TheBluesMan
March 2, 2004, 07:39 PM
Ben,

Two things before I move this over to the Tech Support forum.

1. Offers of donations are always appreciated but never accepted.
2. Did you notice any slowdown today that would lead you to think that we need a different server?

Thanks for your thoughtfulness.

-Dave

Standing Wolf
March 2, 2004, 07:44 PM
Offers of donations are always appreciated but never accepted.

Out of pure and simple curiosity: why not?

P95Carry
March 2, 2004, 07:46 PM
Actually speed held pretty well. I guess the thinking is pretty much based on an unknown right now .... is there enough bandwidth?

If there is and some in reserve then we should be good .. gotta admit tho ... with 656 posts as of now .... and 22332 views .... phew!! Have to wonder and hope that the reserve is still adequate.

Another great day for THR .. as far as maintaining the life line to all.

Ben Shepherd
March 2, 2004, 07:47 PM
There was some slowdown, not horrible but running at about 1/3 of what it normally does.

My concern is if we have a bigger issue than the last couple days, we could go down at a very critical moment. That would be a disaster beyond measure.

Bruce H
March 2, 2004, 07:54 PM
When we have a thread like the C-SPAN ones it would be better and help if everybody dumped their sig, lines. Everybody pretty much already knows them and they take up bandwidth. Just a thought on being polite in a crowded room.

dustind
March 2, 2004, 07:57 PM
We raised thousands for that guy that was stopped in Ohio. I bet we could easily raise thousands for a bandwidth or server upgrade, if it was needed.

Do what I did, turn the signature view off. I did that for the first few days of debate, and it allowed me to read more posts on one page.

TheBluesMan
March 2, 2004, 09:15 PM
Standing Wolf asked:
Out of pure and simple curiosity: why not?

A direct, but incomplete answer to your question is: We don't want to owe anybody anything. We like being autonomous. :)

I answered a question similar to this one before like this:The site is supported by the generous donation of money and time and bandwidth and memory and knowledge and expertise from the staff. Some of us have more knowledge than time, others, more expertise than money. Like the members, we all contribute something. We do not now, nor will we ever (I hope) accept donations from the membership at-large.

All we ask in return is for you continue to spread the good news about Responsible Firearms Ownership and the Right to Keep and Bear Arms. If you feel the need to contribute something, contribute your time to supporting the RKBA by getting politically involved, or contribute your money to a worthy cause that supports Freedom.

-Dave

Standing Wolf
March 2, 2004, 11:01 PM
Ah! I get it. Thanks, eh?

If you enjoyed reading about "Oleg, server upgrade for THR?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!