Questions for you holster makers

PDA

JustSomeDude
November 23, 2012, 11:25 PM
I'm thinking about getting into making holsters, so I need to get some dummy guns, of course. Which ones are reliable dimensionally? Which ones should I get? I"m thinking to start with Glock, M&P, XD and maybe 1911's. How many of the variations should I get?

If you enjoyed reading about "Questions for you holster makers" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
TAKtical
November 23, 2012, 11:27 PM
Rings blue guns. You need one of everything and it gets expensive. Look at my for sale thread and see all the blue guns I have. At least once a week I get a request for something I dont have. Get one or two to start with, a glock and a 1911, then plan on buying a blue gun every time you get an order. Just to get a decent collection of blue guns you will go negative on the first 20 or 30 holsters you make.

triage1998
November 23, 2012, 11:50 PM
Ring's Blue guns have the most accurate dimensions.

Get the Glock 19, Glock 17, Glock 26 right off the bat. That will allow you to make holsters for the Glock 17/19/22/23/26/27/31/32/33.

The 1911 5" and 4.25" are really big sellers for me. I also sell a lot of SIG holsters in this order P229 railed and P229 non-railed and the P220R.

I also sell a few of the M&P 4.25" 9/40 and M&P compact 9/40 every month.

I have 2 Springfield XD molds and out of 120 or so holsters I have made so far this year I have made 1 XD holster.

langloisandy
November 24, 2012, 07:20 AM
Dude,

What the previous posters say... or have customers come in with their own guns and mold them to order. This is what I do.

FYI: If you (or any other budding holster maker) needs patterns, I am toning down the holster portion of my biz and have 180+ patterns for sale. 20 years of various patterns and designs in one HUGE box! PM me if you are interested.

Andy

Dennis K.
November 24, 2012, 10:19 PM
Check the Tandy leather catalog. They offer a how to book on holster design with a number of disigns plus a method to make your own pattern. Il have made 5 for 1911, 2 for LC9, Bersa 380 and a Kel-tech 380. I have the buyer bring his gun from which I make a pattern and upon completion I have the owner return with the gun for a final mold and fitting. Works good so far.
Denns

If you enjoyed reading about "Questions for you holster makers" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!