Tipton rod question for rifle and shotgun

PDA

utbrowningman
November 24, 2012, 01:19 AM
Can I get a Tipton rod that I can use for my .30 rifles and 12 gauge shotgun? I see that the tips are different sizes but would like to buy only one for all my long gun cleaning needs.

If you enjoyed reading about "Tipton rod question for rifle and shotgun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Sniper66
November 24, 2012, 08:32 AM
I have a standard Tipton rod with tips from 22 to 45 cal which could be used for your 12 gauge if you used a thick piece of cloth on the end for the 12 ga. But why not have more than one? Or a 12 ga bore snake? I also have a separate rod for my 17 HMR and 5 different bore snakes for different calibers and I have a sectional shotgun outfit that I use for my 20 and 12 ga. I have found that the tasks are much more pleasant when I have good equipment. I take the bore snakes to the range and on p-dog shooting trips. Plus the bore snakes work well when I don't want to take the time to disassemble my pistols.

Jim Watson
November 24, 2012, 10:58 AM
Rifle rods are usually threaded no. 8-32, shotgun 5/16-27.
Oh, my, whatever are we to do about it?
"A thick piece of cloth?"
How about a 5/16-#8 adapter as found in the Midway catalog 633-734.

Me? I have a cheap sectional aluminum rod and some 12 ga brushes to scrub out the plastic fouling but usually I just swab out with a Tico Tool. I guess a bore snake is the current gimmick.

If you enjoyed reading about "Tipton rod question for rifle and shotgun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!