Savage Model 10 identification

PDA

trickyric
November 24, 2012, 06:48 AM
I have been looking online with no success to find the action spacing on a Savage Model 10 serial number G903877.
I purchased the rifle pre-owned at a gun show and I want to change the stock to convert it to a DBM feeding system.
I really don't want to take it apart if I don't have to until I find the right parts.
Any information would be helpful.
Ric

If you enjoyed reading about "Savage Model 10 identification" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Blackrock
November 24, 2012, 08:26 AM
http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/Prairie-Hunter-Replacement-Stocks-Savage-Stevens-s/167.htm

Al Thompson
November 24, 2012, 08:46 AM
Ric, this looks helpful. I'm also going to send this post to "Gunsmithing" for added visibility. :)

http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet/the-template/policy/Page#Savage

jimmyraythomason
November 24, 2012, 09:26 AM
The link to Boyd's will tell you everything you need to know about it.

trickyric
November 24, 2012, 09:58 AM
I knew I was going to have to take it apart!
Dang I really didn't want to that unless I really had to.

trickyric
November 24, 2012, 10:52 AM
I took it apart but I don't trust my measurement. .13 of an inch is so small that if I am not totally centered am I getting the wrong measurement????????

I'm gonna call savage on Monday.

ngnrd
November 24, 2012, 02:14 PM
So, don't try to take your measurement from the center of the holes. Measure from the front side of one hole to the front side of the other hole.

Same measurement, much easier. (Assuming the holes are the same diameter.)

ngnrd
November 24, 2012, 02:22 PM
Actually, according to that Boyd's link, you don't have to measure the hole spacing at all. If, when you take it apart, the magazine well stays attached to the action, it's a staggered feed magazine and the action bolt spacing is 4.275". If the magazine well stays with the stock, it's a centerfeed, and the action bolt spacing is 4.415".

Of course, you can confirm this with a good measuring tool.

trickyric
November 24, 2012, 03:53 PM
That's the ticket!

jimmyraythomason
November 24, 2012, 04:29 PM
If you are changing from a synthetic stock to a wood stock,you WILL have to replace the action screws with longer ones. Boyd's also has the correct screws available.

trickyric
November 24, 2012, 06:26 PM
Actually I was going from a Bell and Carlson Medalist to a XLR revolution.
http://www.xlrindustries.com/
The rifle came with the medalist. I find that the blind magazine bites my fingers,,,,,and the XLR is cool!!!!

aubie515
November 25, 2012, 12:13 AM
You don't need to take the action a part to measure it. There are several ways to determine if you have a SF or a CF.

You will like the XLR, I have one for my TRG 42...the wait sucks, but Kyle is awesome to work with and his CS is outstanding.

If you enjoyed reading about "Savage Model 10 identification" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!