What do I need to know about Makarovs?

PDA

mljdeckard
November 24, 2012, 09:43 PM
So I went out with my wife and some friends today, and my friend brought his old Makarov, and let my wife shoot it. Well.....she loves it.

I'm poking around looking at them online, and I find myself wondering, are there some do's and don'ts, good holsters, can you install night sights on them, stuff like that? I know they are known for hammer and slide bite, but she didn't have a problem.

So, what do I need to know?

If you enjoyed reading about "What do I need to know about Makarovs?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
BRE346
November 24, 2012, 09:51 PM
I fired one once without any problem. Found it rather comfortable. 9x18 ammo is all I know.

Litlman
November 24, 2012, 10:12 PM
Great guns! I have 2 Bulgarian Military "Arsenal Circle 10" Maks. Russians are the most sought after and East Germans are the best "finished" ones. There are also Chinese ones. Commercial ones have adjustable sights. Used to be lots of info on Makarovcom. Built like tanks and they run! Punch in Makarov in the search function here, lots of info. Used to be cheap but are now about 250 up.

PabloJ
November 24, 2012, 10:18 PM
Quality HP ammo is difficult to locate and stupid magazines are $30 if you can find them.

Weevil
November 24, 2012, 11:39 PM
Had a Bulgarian and currently have a Russian .380.

Very simple design and stone cold reliable with very good accuracy.

I think you might be thinking of the Walther PPK, which is very similiar, when it comes to slide-bite. The PPK is notorious for this but the Makarov not so much. Personally I've never heard about slide-bite with Makarovs.

No real do's or don'ts that I'm aware of, just load and shoot. Not known for any weak points or parts you should keep a spare. Very tough and simple design.

No night sights or tacti-cool accessories. The Mak is an old school pistol with small thin "combat" sights and you will need to have a dovetail cut into the slide to change sights. Now Some of the Russians like my .380 have a cheesy adjustable rear sight but I replaced mine with a fixed sight.

Mags have indeed gone way up in price, I remember $10 was a rip-off when I had my Bulgy now theY're going for 3x that. Not that hard to find, some of them on e-bay right now and there are several milsurp places that carry them.

Holsters are pretty common basically the same size as the Walther PPK and Bersa .380s and there are plenty of Makarovs, P64s, and PA 63s out there. This is a fairly common size and type of pistol.

Nothing fancy but if you want a basic tough-as-nails pistol that goes bang everytime they're one of the better deals out there.

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n200/srebough/mak380x.jpg

Rubber_Duck
November 25, 2012, 12:30 AM
Makarovs rock. I bought my wife a beautiful Bulgarian Circle 10 Mak and I pike it so much I've thought of buying another one for myself.

PabloJ
November 25, 2012, 12:46 AM
Look for Bulgarian one with thin rubber factory grips. The prices around here are very close to $300.

TennJed
November 25, 2012, 01:15 AM
I have a Russian commercial in 380 that i got for $199 about a year and half ago. I considered it the best value of any gun I have ever purchased

North Bender
November 25, 2012, 03:04 AM
If you don't want the stupid $30 magazines that Pablo recommends:

$59.99 shipped for (4) EG mags:

http://www.dansammo.com/odds.asp

Ignition Override
November 25, 2012, 04:09 AM
"Impactguns" now has Bulgarian Makarovs, and also the double-stack Czech CZ-82s (same round).
The Czechs have ambidextrous safeties for us lefties.

Do the Polish P-64s and Hungarian FEGs have the same 'slide bite'? Lots of people install a cheap Wolff spring to reduce the heavy DA pull with the P-64.

mljdeckard
November 25, 2012, 04:10 AM
And I go to their store frequently. I will have to give them a look.

Deaf Smith
November 25, 2012, 12:05 PM
If you can find a East German Mak, get it. I've got one and it's as good as anything made today, or even made 50 years ago.

I'd pack it CCW and not worry at all.

It's only fault is the sights are tiny. But at self defense ranges it's no biggie.

Reliable as a Glock.

Deaf

HPShooter
November 25, 2012, 06:09 PM
mljdeckard,

Here is a thread from a few days ago that's related,

inhttp://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=685802 this same forum :

There are a lot of good comments from various members. You should also check out the links posted in my comment 11 there. It has some links to some strong info sites on the great Makarov pistol. I am a big fan of this design in all its variants. It is my EDC, you will not be disappointed.

HPShooter

PabloJ
November 25, 2012, 07:47 PM
If you don't want the stupid $30 magazines that Pablo recommends:

$59.99 shipped for (4) EG mags:

http://www.dansammo.com/odds.asp
I would get those if still available. These will only become more difficult and expensive to get. Another thing to buy is good supply of 92gr LVE ammo.

HDCamel
November 25, 2012, 08:13 PM
Used to be cheap but are now about 250 up.

$250-ish is still cheap. It's not Mosin-Nagant cheap, but it's pretty cheap.

If you enjoyed reading about "What do I need to know about Makarovs?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!