Taurus M82 4'' surplus Update

PDA

Rocketmedic
November 25, 2012, 12:38 AM
I took my Taurus out to the range again today- and was very pleasantly surprised. It handled 130gr WWB target 38SPCs and 38+P Speer Lawman SD ammo fantastically, with minimal muzzle flash and very controllable recoil, and it grouped within a few inches at 50 yards. Loud enough to know you're shooting, quiet enough to be reasonable,

I didn't get any range pics, but here's the gun. A little worn, but tight lock-up and great balance. I'll be getting another Taurus.

As an aside, this pistol feels awesome in the hand and carries decently well. The barrel really isn't a problem. I'll be putting a little florescent paint on the front ramp though, and does anyone make a laser kit for these?

If you enjoyed reading about "Taurus M82 4'' surplus Update" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
DougW
November 25, 2012, 12:36 PM
Yours looks to be is fairly good shape. My first is a little rough on the finsh, but is mechanically sound and appears to have been fired very little. It should do fine for it's intended defensive purpose. Just returned a second one after inspection. It was a very old Taurus, with the hammer mounted firing pin. It was totally worn out, with so much play in the cylinder that it is completely unsafe. Hopefully the replacement will be in good condition.

Rocketmedic
November 25, 2012, 09:10 PM
How are these for carry?

DougW
November 25, 2012, 10:27 PM
My opinion is that if it functions and you feel it is reliable, by all means carry it. (I know a guy that carries a High Point 9mm that he shoots very well, and the pistol functions perfectly.) I plan to carry one of mine while kicking around the woods in the spring and summer here a little east of you, loaded with a couple of rounds of snake shot. They will also serve HD duty, and will be used to train some novice shooters.

CajunBass
November 26, 2012, 06:56 AM
Congratulations. I had one of those "back in the day" and thought it was a good little gun. The only thing I ever found "wrong" with it was mine had the ugliest grips I've ever seen on a gun. They worked, they were just ugly. I put thousands of rounds of reloaded wadcutters (the cheaperst ammo I could find back then) through it.

I might have to keep my eye out for one at the next gun show.

How are these for carry?

About the same as a Smith & Wesson Model 10. They're not a "clone" of the 10, the lockwork is different, but they're in the same class.

If you enjoyed reading about "Taurus M82 4'' surplus Update" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!