What is your preferred inexpensive red dot, and why?

PDA

Tim the student
November 25, 2012, 12:55 AM
What are your favorites? What did you get? Would you do it again, if you had the chance?

If you enjoyed reading about "What is your preferred inexpensive red dot, and why?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
1911 guy
November 25, 2012, 01:06 AM
Inexpensive? TruGlo. I put one on a slug gun several years ago and it's held up to about 50 or 60 rounds of 12 guage slug recoil so far with no shift in zero. Not bad for a cheap scope of any type. Not even close to some of the higher end red dot sights for quality and construction, not even mentioning size of the dot and compactness of the scope in general, but for a dedicated slug gun it's a winner. I think I'd feel very differently if I'd tried to shoot a rifle past 50 yards with it.

Quentin
November 25, 2012, 01:13 AM
I have to say the Bushnell TRS-25 is impressive for the common $80 sale prices I see. I got one, had no problems so got another. Both have served me well for almost two years. It's small and light and has 11 brightness settings.

MaterDei
November 25, 2012, 01:42 AM
Trs-25

ifit
November 25, 2012, 02:38 AM
vortex sparc reddot...why
1. 2 moa dot
2. 2x magnifier
3. comes with 3 mounts for hight adjustments
4. 11 brightness settings
5. night vision capable
6. purchased early 2011 and still runing strong and using same battery
7. used shooting,7.62x54r/.308/.223/7.62x39..no problem
thats why i bought this over the trs, and would buy another no problem

plateshooter
November 25, 2012, 05:34 AM
I have several Tasco red dots that I bought years ago. They have been on everything from a 44 mag revolver to slug guns. I have had no problems with them and would buy them again.

jmr40
November 25, 2012, 07:58 AM
The Vortex SPARC is as cheap as I've found that still perfomed well.

almherdfan
November 25, 2012, 08:14 AM
I've had a Truglo 2X for a couple of years. It's been on my 10/22, 20 gauge, Mosin, and SKS. I will buy another.

Hunterdad
November 25, 2012, 08:15 AM
Truglo are pretty good for the money. I've had one on a S&W 22a for a few years now and it's performed flawlessly. Also had one in a slug gun that held up really well. Got a good deal on a fixed 2.5x scope so I swapped them out.

Pete D.
November 25, 2012, 08:32 AM
Have the Bushnell TRS 25 and the Truglo.
Prefer the TRS.
Pete

urbaneruralite
November 25, 2012, 08:39 AM
Sightmark Ultrashot for a .22, Vortex SPARC for a 5.56. If you're going to use one in low light without a flashlight, make sure it has a night-vision mode or dials down very dim.

They work fine, but the designs of reflective sights have limitations. I might look hard at a traditional scope in the 1x to 2x range. The red dots are neat and fun, but I've not found them to be any quicker into action than the more traditional 1.5x with a German #4 reticle. And you don't have to turn the scope on before you use it. Can't beat the size and weight of the red dots though!

conhntr
November 25, 2012, 08:45 AM
Aimpoint pro. Study and dependable. I would rather stick with irons than buy a knockoff brand unless its for a trainer 22lr

Captains1911
November 25, 2012, 08:46 AM
The TRS-25 has worked well for me, although I haven't used it anything other than a .22

oldpapps
November 25, 2012, 10:07 AM
Several years ago I was swapping out scopes on my 'pet' .223 (Rem 600 punched from .222 Rem). I had a Weaver K6 power on it and wasn't happy. As I was looking at "E. Arthur Brown", I saw a cheap 4 minuet Red Dot with mounts. I think it was around $38 at the time, they have gone up, at $42 now. I ordered one.
Before the Red Dot arrived I had re-scoped the bolt .223, so the Red Dot didn't get mounted.
What to do with the cheap Red Dot?
I also have a Remington 600 in .308 Win. A duplicate of the one in .223 Rem except it is a little lighter.
I toyed with the idea of putting the cheap Red Dot on that horribly hard kicking 600. It has a calculated free recoil of 17.1 foot-pounds of energy compared to the 3.1 foot-pound from the same weapon in .223 Rem! :eek:
I figured the Red Dot would come a part in short order. It didn't :cool:
Over the years I have bought several more of these Red Dots, ALL continue to function as I like, I have changed out batteries to be on the safe side. Oh, the one mounted on the hard kicking .308 is still mounted :)

I have no interest in this company other than to purchase from them. I have found good service. http://www.eabco.com/RedDotSights.htm

carbine85
November 25, 2012, 10:23 AM
I have the UTG red dot and magnifier. So far it has worked out very well.

Picher
November 25, 2012, 10:29 AM
I've had several, mostly Simmons, but a lot of the cheap ones seem to be made by one company in China. I found that many had arrows on the adjustments that were opposite of the way the bullet impact moved on target.

My latest Red Dot is a Bushnell mini and it works great on my Ruger MKII.

KodeFore
November 25, 2012, 11:08 AM
I have a bsa red dot, the 40$ from wally world. I put it on a my delton
Ar and no problems so far about 3 years down the road

k_dawg
November 25, 2012, 11:27 AM
I have several Hakko TacPoints. Aside for having to do some strain-relief on the switch wiring, runs like a champ. No problem handling deer slugs in my Saiga S-12 shotgun.

Have had them for almost 8 years now.

Walkalong
November 25, 2012, 12:10 PM
Primary Arms (https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary_Arms_Micro_Dot_With_Fixed_Base_p/md-07.htm)

CraigC
November 25, 2012, 12:36 PM
I'll preface this by saying that I deride cheap optics at every opportunity. However, several years ago I wanted to try a red dot to see if I would like it but didn't want to spend the cash on a good one. So I bought an el cheapo 40mm BSA for $30. There's no telling how many different guns it's been mounted to or how many times it's had its zero changed. It has done very well for itself and eventually, I got another as a spare. That said, I also really like the Primary Arms Aimpoint Comp C3 clone ($69!) but the mount it comes with is not very good. What I like even better is the Vortex Strikefire, which comes with a good mount but the magnifier is a joke. Matter of fact, I like it enough that I just ordered another when they went on special with the Primary Arms magnifier and mount for $169. Eventually I'd like to get an Aimpoint but for now, those work just fine.

MachIVshooter
November 25, 2012, 01:25 PM
I have several Hakko TacPoints.

Very good RD sights for the money, IMO.

I bought one 8 years ago, it lived on my AR-10 carbine for a long time. I started using the AR-10 for hunting and put a Nikon scope on it, so the Hakko got moved around until it recently found a home on my to-be-SBR'd AR pistol.

The dot has 7 brightness settings, and holds zero perfectly, even with the greater recoil of the .308 AR.

I have never replaced the batteries (2 x LR44).

Is it the same quality as the Aimpoint it copies? Of course not. Is it a good optic and a darn good value for the ~$100 it cost me? You betcha.

jaysouth
November 25, 2012, 05:14 PM
Tru-Glo. The one pictured here has survived two hunting seasons and a lot of range time.

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l222/jwsoutherland/7600P004.jpg

I have a Bushnell TRS 25 on a .30-30 Topper that has proved to be tough and reliable.

Of the two mentioned, the TRS 25 is the one I would mount on a rifle used for still hunting. It is much smaller than the Truglo and easier to woodstalk with.

3twelves
November 25, 2012, 05:53 PM
Eotech XPS works good. After dumping a ton of money into 5 different cheap red dots I could of just bought a eotech. The Aimpoint sport is good for $400.

Sky
November 25, 2012, 06:04 PM
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=608749

The good cheap red dot thread

meanmrmustard
November 25, 2012, 06:06 PM
TRS-25. Nuff said.

dbro822
November 25, 2012, 08:09 PM
Vortex strikefire, bought one and it quit working part way into the first mag, called them and had a new one 2 days latter no charge or shipping, the new one has been flawless. If this was on a duty gun I would stick with aimpoint, or eo tec.

wally
November 25, 2012, 08:24 PM
Primary Arms or Bushnell TRS-25. Generally I prefer the PA as it sits a bit lower -- its an imitator of the Aimpoint T-1. I like the PA setup so much I'll spring for the Aimpoint if it dies, but so far none of my six have given any trouble.

I like the Vortex Stike-fire very much, but its a lot larger, great on an AR, not so much on other rifles, and about 2X the price of the PA or TRS.

FrankCastleThePunisher
November 25, 2012, 09:35 PM
The Vortex Sparc is hard to beat for the price.

stubbicatt
November 26, 2012, 11:33 AM
Vortex Sparc.

I installed this on my SIG 556 Classic. With the low mount, and spacer, the little red dot just hovers at the tip of the front sight post. It comes with a 2x magnifier, something I have not used yet, and may never use, but the completeness of the package is pretty cool, 2 or 3 mounting solutions and the magnifier, all at $1 less than $200.

The little buttons on the left of the optic for on/off, dot brightness and "night vision" mode are easy to access.

I really like mine.

hentown
November 26, 2012, 11:37 AM
TRS-25!!! Lifetime warranty, 3 m.o.a. dot, same size as Aimpoint Micro at 1/5 the price. $83 @ Amazon, no taxes, free shipping. I have two mounted on ARs and one on a Glock. Great little sights.

LNK
November 26, 2012, 12:17 PM
Vortex Strikefire. Purchased one over a year ago and it has been excellent on my FAL. The only flaw, (besides the useless 2x magnifier), was when a buddy wanted to try it on his RRA LAR-762. The rubber that goes around the objective lens which holds the flip up lens cups. Hit the Picatanny rail and caused it to point up. Removed the rubber (it just slips off), and worked great. Had to adjust windage for his rifle 10 MOA. After putting it back on my FAL, I just dialed the windage back the same number of clicks and it was right on. I have heard that the dot is not very bright. It is hard to see against a fluorescent red gong at our club, but not against any other targets. I also like that I can instantly change from red to green. I have not needed the Night Vision modes as I have no night vision equipment.

I paid $150 delivered from "optics planet". Don't know what they are charging now.

I have used this alot, and still on original battery.

LNK

Tim the student
November 28, 2012, 02:09 PM
Thanks all, I appreciate the comments.

Batty67
November 28, 2012, 02:24 PM
Another vote for the Vortex SPARC. My first one had issues cutting-off and they replaced it with a reasonable amount of fuss and delay. Good dot and options. The 2x magnifier is not totally useless. For longer range target shooting out to 150 m on my AO M1 carbine, I like to use it.

CraigC
November 28, 2012, 05:25 PM
I hope I'm not the only one that took advantage of Primary Arms' Black Friday Vortex Strikefire package deal. For the price of just the Strikefire ($169) you get a red/green version (like the one I already have), which comes with a very good mount, an additional cantilever mount, a PA 3x magnifier (vastly superior to the one included by Vortex) and I opted for the swing away magnifier mount ($40). It came today and is a very impressive package for the modest price.

stubbicatt
November 29, 2012, 06:02 AM
I hope I'm not the only one that took advantage of Primary Arms' Black Friday Vortex Strikefire package deal. For the price of just the Strikefire ($169) you get a red/green version (like the one I already have), which comes with a very good mount, an additional cantilever mount, a PA 3x magnifier (vastly superior to the one included by Vortex) and I opted for the swing away magnifier mount ($40). It came today and is a very impressive package for the modest price.
That's a smoking deal. All that for 2 bones?

jmorris
November 29, 2012, 08:56 AM
The cheap $20 BSA would get my vote. I wouldn't get rid of my good ones but for $20 it works fine. Holds zero even when beat on and just loves batteries.

Once you get into the $150 range I would suggest to just keep saving and get an aimpoint, acog or other good optic.

http://i664.photobucket.com/albums/vv5/qvideo/gn/1919.jpg

CraigC
November 29, 2012, 09:13 AM
That's a smoking deal. All that for 2 bones?
Yep! I think they sold out pretty quickly.

JustinJ
November 29, 2012, 10:57 AM
I noticed that Midway has the Bushnell Trophy 1x4 Red Dot on sale right now for $82.60. I've never used one but the reviews seem favorable, mostly.

Clark
December 1, 2012, 02:10 AM
I have a Bushnell Trophy TRS-25 1xRed Dot Sight Riflescope that was ~ $81 from Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Bushnell-Trophy-TRS-25-1xRed-Riflescope/dp/B00200E0HM

I have no complaints yet.

crazysccrmd
December 1, 2012, 02:45 AM
I went with a Konus sight-pro on my AK and it's held up to the heat/recoil of close to 1000rds. Zeroed easily and hasn't needed adjustment. Visible dot even in bright conditions that stays pretty sharp.

https://www.primaryarms.com/Konus_Sight_Pro_Atomic_Red_Dot_Sight_s/3837.htm

gotigers
December 1, 2012, 06:32 AM
+1 for vortex. Very good warranty. The sparc and strikefire are the best dots under $300.

76shuvlinoff
December 1, 2012, 07:30 AM
folks,
I'm looking for an entry level red dot for my casual use flat top AR. FYI I'm pretty "entry level" myself when it comes to this stuff. The TRS-25 looks like a great buy and the posts here seem pretty positive. Any negatives? Battery life? Would I need a spacer for 1/3 co-witness?

Thanks,
- Mark

hentown
December 1, 2012, 08:05 AM
I noticed that Midway has the Bushnell Trophy 1x4 Red Dot on sale right now for $82.60. I've never used one but the reviews seem favorable, mostly.

Thats $1 more than on Amazon, and Amazon gives you free shipping!

Rexster
December 1, 2012, 08:13 AM
I prefer an Aimpoint Micro T-1. I am not sure where it falls on the expense scale. I decided anything less was not worth owning, and then found the best deal reasonably possible at the time.

ole farmerbuck
December 1, 2012, 08:23 AM
I have 4 Truglo's. Nice dots and no problems yet.

breakingcontact
December 1, 2012, 08:17 PM
I studied up on good/cheap red dots a fair amount.

Found the Vortex StrikeFire to not be very bright and the Bushnell TRS25 to be extremely bluish/green but it did have a nice dot.

Instead of going with cheap red dots, I like quality "affordable" fixed power, low magnification scopes.

gpjoe
December 1, 2012, 09:11 PM
I have a TRS25 and a Vortex Strikefire. I prefer the Vortex and it comes with a decent mount, the Bushnell does not.

gunfighter48
December 1, 2012, 10:34 PM
I like Primary Arms red dots for budget units. They are well made, hold up well, hold zero fine, and they are inexpensive. Primary Arms customer service is tops if you should need to use it. I have their M3 and M4 style sights and they work just great.

Quentin
December 2, 2012, 12:48 AM
folks,
I'm looking for an entry level red dot for my casual use flat top AR. FYI I'm pretty "entry level" myself when it comes to this stuff. The TRS-25 looks like a great buy and the posts here seem pretty positive. Any negatives? Battery life? Would I need a spacer for 1/3 co-witness?

Thanks,
- Mark

I have two TRS-25s and no real negatives from me as they're much better than I expected. I like a bottom 1/3 cowitness with my AR irons and the following mount is the lowest price solution. I bought one as a temporary fix but it's a tough mount that holds zero so I bought two more. The RDS and the mount both are bargains.

http://www.amazon.com/UTG-Profile-Riser-Mount-slots/dp/B003TWZG4G/ref=pd_bxgy_sg_img_z

40 rod
December 2, 2012, 12:58 AM
If you get a red dot get a good one.

If you want cheap get a good ghost ring peep

76shuvlinoff
December 2, 2012, 08:06 AM
I have two TRS-25s and no real negatives from me as they're much better than I expected. I like a bottom 1/3 cowitness with my AR irons and the following mount is the lowest price solution. I bought one as a temporary fix but it's a tough mount that holds zero so I bought two more. The RDS and the mount both are bargains.

Thanks, I saw those and was wondering if I should go low, mid, or high profile, probably just need to find what works for me.

Thanks again!

breakingcontact
December 2, 2012, 10:26 AM
Are the Primary Arms red dots back in stock?

r1derbike
December 2, 2012, 10:40 AM
Walther P-22, because it came with my Umarex Beretta CX4 Storm .177 clone, and now does short range work on my 6920. It just looks cool.

mikebravo
December 2, 2012, 06:14 PM
Vortex SPARC. But, before you get a red dot, get checked for astigmatism, or else that 2 moa dot will look like a 10 moa fireball.

jmorris
December 2, 2012, 06:20 PM
Instead of going with cheap red dots, I like quality "affordable" fixed power, low magnification scopes.

While not cheap my Night Force 1-4x illuminated scope will do everything a red dot will and more.

kcshooter
December 2, 2012, 06:58 PM
I've got somewhere around 350 rounds, maybe more, of high brass 12ga rounds (buck and slugs) thru a Mossberg 500 sitting under a TRS-25 that's still going strong. I have also never adjusted the zero since day one.

I've got another TRS-25 on an AR with about 1500rds under that optic.

While not cheap my Night Force 1-4x illuminated scope will do everything a red dot will and more. IIRC correctly, the $1250 price tag is out of most reasonable budgets. (Even most unreasonable budgets, really.)
I had a hard time justifying the Burris XTR, and I could have bought 2 for that price.

inkinskin
December 2, 2012, 07:58 PM
I bought a centerpoint tactical red dot scope from walmart on a whim for $50. I am using it on a Sig M400 5.56 and have put 500+ rounds through with it and it still holds zero. It has 4 diffrrent recticles, red and green, 5 diffrrent intensity settings, windage and elevation knobs, mounts, and lens covers. I am shooting 1 1/2 " groups at 50 yards all day with it and the visibilty is more than enough even in bright daylight.

I was weary of this when I bought it, but I am glad I took the chance with it. Would reccomend it to anyone who is looking for a good red dot sight that is on a budget.

Posted from Thehighroad.org App for Android

JustinJ
December 4, 2012, 12:43 PM
While not cheap my Night Force 1-4x illuminated scope will do everything a red dot will and more.

Cowitness with iron sights? It also won't match the field of view. I'm not knocking the Night Force, they are definitely awesome, however there are advantages a red dot has that a magnified will never duplicate.

henschman
December 4, 2012, 01:15 PM
Yeah, the main advantage of a red dot over a magnified optic is that it has no eye relief and parallax.

I have a TRS-25 with the UTG medium (0.83") mount on my AR and like it just fine. They have a pretty good battery life for a cheaper optic (3,000 hours constant on). As for the UTG mounts, the medium one is for an absolute co-witness. This puts the dot in the same plane as your iron sights, and is good for if you have a flip-up rear sight. The high (1") one gives you a lower 1/3 co-witness, and is good for if you have a fixed rear sight. I'm not sure what the Low ones are for... probably non-AR applications like Sig, HK, etc.

mdauben
December 4, 2012, 01:32 PM
Depends on what you consider "inexpensive". Compared to a $1000+ ACOG sight (http://www.trijicon.com/na_en/products/product1.php?id=ACOG), I'm quite happy with my $200 Ultradot (http://www.ultradotwest.com/index.htm)and Lucid (http://mylucidgear.com/reddot.php)red-dots. ;)

rugerdude
December 4, 2012, 04:10 PM
+1 for the Bushnell TRS-25

I had an aimpoint micro T-1 on my M4A1 in Afghanistan, and that sight was awesome. I pulled my TRS-25 out of the box and it was like meeting an old friend again. Size, controls and functionality are very similar to the aimpoint. If a 2moa vs 3moa dot is worth the extra $300 bucks, well, who am I to tell you how to spend your money?

Bottom line is yeah, I'll bet the aimpoint will hold up to abuse better I guess (never did a side by side test, can't say for sure), but I can tell you that even in Afghanistan I was able to take care of my stuff, that's common sense practice no matter how tough your optics are. I don't know who's going around banging their optics on rocks, but as we can see from this thread, perhaps the cheaper red dot alternatives are not as fragile and crappy as many people seem to believe they are.

rookorami
December 4, 2012, 08:51 PM
If only my budget would allow an EOtech...

Perhaps one day

Sky
December 5, 2012, 12:44 PM
If only my budget would allow an EOtech...

I have one and an Aimpoint and several other Red Dots but to be honest if a red dot works it works regardless of how much you paid for it or who put their name on it. Dot size and parallax is more important to me than name brand. The older I get the more I like cheap that works. For me I would not purchase another Aimpoint or Eotech when many others at 15% to 25% the cost will do just fine for me...but I am not at war unless pigs count?

gotigers
December 5, 2012, 01:11 PM
I am ok with cheap, but i want to know it will work when i need it.

GrandmasterB
December 5, 2012, 07:02 PM
Another vote for the Busnhell TRS-25. Have one on a HK USC and it works great!

holdencm9
March 29, 2013, 08:45 PM
Hey Guys, I didn't think this would necessarily merit a new thread, so I'll just bump this one....but if anyone is still looking for an inexpensive red dot, Palmetto State Armory has a $50 off coupon code for the Vortex Strikefire. That makes it $130 which I think is a good deal. Not "whoa!" but a good deal nonetheless. I have been very happy with mine.

Girodin
March 29, 2013, 09:26 PM
What are your favorites? What did you get? Would you do it again, if you had the chance?

For me the budget RDS is an aimpoint PRO. Anything below that and there is too much lost in quality. I've seen the PRO for as little as $380 with a mount. That makes it a good budget choice versus some other aimpoints. I would definitely buy one again, although for somethings I'll still just pay more and get a T1/H1.

I do think I will try a primary arms on a .22LR but wouldn't put it on anything more serious than that.

BCRider
March 30, 2013, 12:15 AM
I know that this is an older thread but I missed it first time around.

For me? That would be the $25 "no name" one inch size tube style red dots I got for the lofty price of $25 each a few years back to put on my paintball pump markers. When I got into firearms I mounted one on a TC Encore chambered in .500 S&W Magnum. It withstood the crazy recoil of that gun for some time until I needed the sight back to go to a pump action paintball weekend again. I must have put a good 40 rounds past that sight and it took it well. On the other hand a cheap asian RIFLE scope didn't make it to a dozen shots before turning into a cheezy kalidescope.

That asian red dot held accurate for the whole time it was on the gun too. Other than when the screws that joined it to the Picatinny rail shot loose. Tightened them up and the very next shot was dead on.

None of this is to say that the cheap stuff isn't weak. Just that often we can be surprised.

Water-Man
March 30, 2013, 12:29 AM
Bushnell TRS-25.

Inexpensive and works well.

Captains1911
March 30, 2013, 10:01 AM
Delete

mnhntr
March 30, 2013, 11:54 AM
Depends on your use. I really like the TR-25 from Bushnell. I like them so much I have 3 of them. I have one on my sons cricket .22 that he learned to shoot with. I have one on my Ruger Blackhawk .357 magnum. I have one as a back up for my AR15. I do not think they are a quick acquisition sight. If you want a quick sight picture then I would use an open type sight like the Burris fast fire. I think the best sight out there for this is the Eotech but they are not as affordable.

SilentScream
March 30, 2013, 12:05 PM
Just for fun I mounted one of the UTG 38mm red dot sights I bought for my 10/22, onto a 417 we were testing at work, it survived several hundred rounds of 7.62 on semi abd full auto. slapped it back onto my 10/22, re-zeroed it and it seems to be holding just fine. Also have to give a thumbs up to the TruGlo red dots I've seen them hold very well to some pretty good abuse.

meanmrmustard
March 30, 2013, 02:34 PM
Deleted.

tuj
March 31, 2013, 05:48 PM
Ultradot. Perfect price / performance point.

http://renkucorp.com/jf/pics/guns/IMG_20121006_101836_sm.jpg

berettaprofessor
March 31, 2013, 07:36 PM
Another vote for the Tru-glo 2X...makes a great red dot for 22LR or 223....nice small 2 mil dot, and a little magnification.

justice06rr
March 31, 2013, 08:53 PM
A very cheap RDS I've used is a CenterPoint from Walmart. It has withstood the recoil of my Draco AK pistol and still stays on target to 25yards (indoor range unfortunately). I zeroed it on my 10/22 and it still stays zeroed when swapping between guns.

rainbowbob
March 31, 2013, 10:13 PM
I am also in the market for an entry-level red-dot. Lots of good suggestions in this thread and so I kind of went eenie, meenie, minie, mo...and ordered a TruGlo that will go on the M&P .22 I share with my grandson. If I like it, I'll order another for my Colt .223/5.56.

rainbowbob
April 30, 2013, 03:29 PM
I put the TruGlo on my M&P 15-.22. It was a real breakthrough for my 8-year-old grandson who was having trouble with the iron sights (he can't close his left eye-lid). All of a sudden he is shooting with both eyes open and putting the rounds in the middle of the target. The smiles are priceless!

I then tried it out on my AR-15...and I was smiling too! I've ordered a second one. I will say that the .223 did cause the screws to loosen up as I shot, but I tightened them up several times as things warmed up and they seemed to snug down pretty well.

Yesterday I went to shoot, and discovered the battery doesn't last a week when you forget to turn it off. That's no surprise, batteries are cheap, and I'll remember to turn it off from now on.

The only problem I haven't resolved is that the dot can disappear on a light covered target in bright light.

Also, I can set up the iron sights on the .22 so they co-witness with the red dot. Although the rear sights were considered an obstruction by my grandson - they didn't bother me. On the AR, my rear sight is mounted on the handle, which I had to remove to mount the red dot. Is the best solution to buy a new rear sight?

03Shadowbob
April 30, 2013, 05:55 PM
Sightmark. Mine has had countless 00buck, slugs and #4s through it and its held zero.

rainbowbob
April 30, 2013, 09:01 PM
The only problem I haven't resolved is that the dot can disappear on a light covered target in bright light.

Apparently that problem may have been due to a weak battery. With a fresh battery, I can see the dot clearly against a light target in full light.

Warp
April 30, 2013, 10:04 PM
If and when I get a cheap red dot for my range/training guns (such as a 15-22) it will be a Primary Arms.

It isn't super-cheap, but it doesn't completely suck ass either, as far as I can tell.

Of course my go-to rifles will continue to wear Aimpoints as far as red dot sights are concerned.

Davek1977
May 1, 2013, 04:23 AM
Primary Arms....I too am a fan of their products.

Roadking Rider
May 1, 2013, 06:14 AM
Also have a 2X Tru Glo on my 10/22. It used to be on my Mini14. After a couple thousands rounds it's still as good as new.

Beentown
May 1, 2013, 08:21 AM
Some that have taken a beating from me...

Bushnell TRS-25
Vortex Strikefire
Primary Arms

My choice for cheap is the Bushnell TRS-25. Mid priced is the Vortex Sparc.

herrwalther
May 1, 2013, 02:18 PM
Another vote for the TRS-25. I have one on my 12ga and haven't had any issues with it.

jodavk
May 1, 2013, 09:39 PM
Tried a TruGlo on a Hi-Point 9mm carbine (that's a cheap combo!). It didn't last one box of Tula steel 9mm (more cheapness). The dot got big and fuzzy, so I sent it back to Midway USA and got store credit. I have had good luck with Bushnell Trophy red dots; the MP and the regular 28mm tube. Both saw service on 9mm, 7.62x39, and .223 carbines and performed (still) flawlessly.

Tommy Medlin
May 2, 2013, 11:49 AM
I have the BSA on an old Win.30/30,and it has performed perfectly.What I love about the red dot is that I can shoot with both eyes open and it seems as though I am seeing the dot with both eyes !

Fishbed77
May 2, 2013, 01:45 PM
I have a Vortex StrikeFire that is a great red dot, aside from the TERRIBLE button placement. The on/off button is placed out on the side where it is easily depressed accidentally when in a case.

While the term "inexpensive" is relative, it's hard to beat an Aimpoint PRO. I love mine. It's worth every bit of the ~$220 more that it cost versus the Vortex StrikeFire.

Even at $400, the Aimpoint PRO is a raging bargain.

If you enjoyed reading about "What is your preferred inexpensive red dot, and why?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!