What kind of classes?

PDA

mljdeckard
November 25, 2012, 02:44 AM
If I have several months of spare time in my education plan, and I can have the national guard pay for a few classes, what kind of classes should I take at a local technical college to help out with gunsmithing? Just basic machining? What else?

If you enjoyed reading about "What kind of classes?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
4v50 Gary
November 25, 2012, 07:54 AM
TIG welding.

Basic repair classes.

creeper1956
November 25, 2012, 10:49 AM
Just basic machining? What else?
Does this class go deep into the art and proper use of files? I ask this because in gunsmithing, or rather custom gunsmithing, there is a great deal of filing involved.

Cheers,
C

mljdeckard
November 25, 2012, 10:50 PM
That's the thing, I haven't found a class yet, I have no idea.

mljdeckard
November 26, 2012, 12:59 AM
Basically, I want to know enough to adjust my own triggers, install my own sights, and not hesitate over the words; "Some fitting required".

Texan Scott
November 26, 2012, 01:14 AM
AutoCAD and 3D graphics rendering.

paintballdude902
November 26, 2012, 01:20 AM
machining.. check if they offer gunsmithing some of the CCs in NC offer them.

ApacheCoTodd
November 26, 2012, 10:51 PM
Welding - even gas to start to get a handle on high temp soldering and material flow.

rcmodel
November 26, 2012, 10:59 PM
I use gas way more then I've ever needed to use TIG.

High-Temp silver soldering with a tiny torch tip is one of the most often used welding methods in gunsmithing.
And you can't do that with a TIG welder!

Next to that, manual lathe & milling maching work will be the things you need to do most often.

You do need more then a passing grade in reading micrometers, dealing with very small parts tolerences, and wood & metal finishing.

You don't need AutoCAD and 3D graphics rendering unless you work designing guns for a company that makes guns from raw materials on CNC equipment.

Most small gunsmith operations don't ever have access to, or a need for that.

rc

If you enjoyed reading about "What kind of classes?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!