M-16 in 5.45x39

PDA

Sharpie443
November 25, 2012, 08:27 AM
My Friend Chris Reed and I went out to the range to test out his newest build. In terms of ballistics the 5.45x39 is junk but it's cheap and is a blast to shoot in full auto. Hardly and recoil to speak of. His Ak-74 in 5.45x39 is my favorite gun to shoot at the machine gun shoots and just about any time we go out. I still like the Ak-74 the most but this new M16 is a blast as well. I did have one dud but it was the ammo not the gun. The optics we had on it were not sighted in very well because this was just a test run to see if the build actually worked but it did seem to group well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YhHDiCm2AM

If you enjoyed reading about "M-16 in 5.45x39" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Flyincedar
November 25, 2012, 10:17 AM
Nice

Sky
November 25, 2012, 10:29 AM
Many hunters feel the caliber is only good for target and people popping so that is why many wonder what is the caliber good for; just perceptions by some. I think it is great for certain small varmints but.... I have not used it on any Texas pigs however if a .22lr works on something then surely it will do better. I must admit there is something about the sound and smell of full auto in the mornings still air that will always have a special meaning to me.

Flyincedar
November 25, 2012, 01:30 PM
Its definitely a viable caliber. We get good groups with our 5.45 AKs out to 300. Hitting one pound exploding targets even in full auto is nit difficult at that range.

Ballistic junk, no. Maybe according to some internet table. It lacks power at distance, for sure, but for small game, varmints, etc out to a few hundred yards, its a nice cheap substitute for. 223

josiewales
December 10, 2012, 05:59 PM
Would that be the same Chris Reed as in Top Shot?

FIVETWOSEVEN
December 10, 2012, 08:02 PM
In terms of ballistics the 5.45x39 is junk

Really...:scrutiny:

Flyincedar
December 11, 2012, 04:27 PM
No. Totally different Chris Reed

josiewales
December 12, 2012, 04:07 PM
Dang....

Ken70
December 12, 2012, 08:04 PM
"Poison bullet" didn't turn up on Facebook or some other SWPL site. It was seeing what happened when the guy next to you stopped one. That's one nasty little round. Probably the best wounder/killer in the last 35 years.

If you enjoyed reading about "M-16 in 5.45x39" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!