Flashlight. Knife. Gun.

PDA

CmdrSlander
November 25, 2012, 03:32 PM
It was once said that every man should have these three things at his disposal, should disaster, man made or otherwise, strike.

So, what are your go to flashlights, knives, and guns. These don't have to be EDC, they can be the tools you keep in your home or car or workplace, etc.

My three:

In "Emergency Kit":
-Maglite, full size, with extra batteries.

-Rock Island Armory M1911, 9mm, with a loaded mag and an extra box of 124 Grain Winchester 9mm NATO.

-Gerber 4" folder, given to me by my grandfather, very old and therefore unmarked except for brand name so I couldn't tell you the model. This is also me EDC blade.

If you enjoyed reading about "Flashlight. Knife. Gun." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
76shuvlinoff
November 25, 2012, 03:55 PM
Not sure I can call it an emergency kit but closest at hand:

Surefire Aviator.
Benchmade Mini Barrage.
The gun is a variable.

M-Cameron
November 25, 2012, 04:00 PM
ill just name my EDC, because i keep far to many of all of those to name them all

Flashlight:

5.11 ATAC PLx for durring the day
Streamlight Scorpion X for when i go out at night

Knife:

Emerson A100
Spyderco Endure SS
or
Benchmade 5500

Gun:

Ruger SP101
or
Polish P64

Fast Frank
November 25, 2012, 04:28 PM
Well, I don't know what "They" say, But I tend to pretty much have those very things on me, most of the time.

For the light, I have a small rechargeable LED. It's about five inches long and one inch diameter. It says "Eagle Sunlight Turbo" on it.

It has a 2600 MAH lithium ion battery, and it's stupid bright. 300 lumens? not sure, but I think that's correct. It is supposed to have a four hour run time. I have ZipTied this thing to the barrel of my .30-30 before and I have shot and killed a raccoon at ~65 yards that way. I had no problem seeing the raccoon through the scope.

It absolutely hurts to be flashed in the eyes, and at night it's a weapon in it's own right.

For my Knife, I rotate between two, depending on the situation. I Do not use them for opening boxes or whatever. The reason for that is because I keep them shaving sharp and it's just too much work to keep that up if the knife is used to strip wire or cut cardboard.

The most common carried is a Kershaw "Needs Work". It's not very large, and doesn't look as much like a weapon as it does a tool. The cutting edge has no curve to it at all, and it stands a pretty good chance of being ignored. It's what I put in my pocket if I can't have a weapon. I have never been challenged on it, but I think most folks would just see it as a pocket knife...

Of course it does have the spring assisted open, and it's sharper than most straight razors. It will do the job if needed.

For more serious situations, I have a Columbia Knife and Tool M-16.

It's the "1*" version. (That's pronounced "One Ass To Risk").

This one is a big, mean looking knife with a tanto point and a big, wide offset bevel edge. The blade is made of thick sturdy metal and the pivot and lock is big and strong. I've never tried it, but I believe this thing is stout enough to stab it right into the hood of a car.

There's no mistaking what that blade is for, and shame on the mess if anybody makes me carve up their ham hocks with that thing.

My most common carry is a Kimber TLE2 in stainless.

It's a full size Government model 1911. I use a Blade Tech Kydex "In the pants" holster for CCW.

On other occasions, I have a Ruger Speed Six. It's a six-shot .357 revolver with a three inch barrel in stainless. I use it when my clothing doesn't allow a full size pistol.

On the beach, a fanny pack carries the Ruger nicely. It also serves as Truck Gun sometimes.

Obviously, I keep at least one reload for whatever I'm carrying. (Usually)

I'm not in the habit of being attacked, or stranded, or nuked, or whatever.

I also don't believe in Zombies. (Yet:D)

But having a few basic supplies like the ones mentioned above assures me that in the event of any unpleasant situation from a flat tire in unknown territory on up will at least find me in a better-than-helpless condition.

smalls
November 25, 2012, 04:51 PM
Yeah, it's the same as my EDC. STI Spartan IV 9mm, spare mag, Remington folder, and Cokeman LED light. I don't always carry the flashlight on me, but usually in my daily carry around bag.

Iramo94
November 25, 2012, 05:01 PM
I have a very cheap LED flashlight (I think the company is called Brinkmann?), a Zero Tolerance 0350, and a Smith and Wesson 5906. These are currently my EDC, and I like 'em quite well. I may get a nice light one of these days.

I think multitool or Swiss army knife should be added to the list of the bare necessities.

smalls
November 25, 2012, 05:09 PM
I may get a nice light one of these days

I was going to, as well, but I got my Coleman for free. It's plenty bright enough for me and small enough to fit in any of my pockets. It's been dropped tons, and barely has scratches on it. For my needs I can't imagine dropping $150 on a flash light.

I stopped spending more than $40 on knives, because they all end up at the bottom of the lake, anyway. Lake St. Clair now owns 3 of my Benchmade's :D

hurld
November 25, 2012, 05:10 PM
Edc

Flashlight= Nitecore EA1
Knife= Benchmade mini griptillian
Gun= Beretta Nano or Glock 27

WC145
November 25, 2012, 05:14 PM
FNP45 Tactical
Surefire G2X Pro
Benchmade HK auto

The FN is my duty piece and the light and knife are EDC items. If the SHTF and I have a choice I'll grab the FN, if not I'm fine with any of my off duty guns. My patrol rifle is a SIG 556 Classic, it'll be tagging along as well.

Sgt_R
November 25, 2012, 06:04 PM

hq
November 25, 2012, 06:19 PM
Flashlight: XM-L T6 based 18650 Li-Ion lens/zoom flashlight + spare rechargeable batteries
Gun: Para 16-40 @ 10mm and/or a 1911 double stack in 9mm, plenty of magazines
Knife: Marttiini Condor Timberjack (hey, I am a finn, it MUST be a puukko; I have these laying around everywhere)

hso
November 26, 2012, 12:39 AM
Customized Hi Power LW/Detective, PF9, or P3AT (clothing dependent).
Sebenza
Fenix PD10

Owen Sparks
November 26, 2012, 12:49 AM
I have become a big fan of head lamps for general utility because no matter how 'tactical' your trendy flash light is, it still ties up one of your two hands when you use it. A head lamp leaves both hands free and always points right where you look. Sure, I have the TLR and Surefires but the head lamp is usually my first choice.

Emerson 11

Full sized 1911.

Trent
November 26, 2012, 01:07 AM
Headlamp (have three)
Ozark Trail 5" full tang (great for cleaning fish and everything else I need to cut, including veggies)
Glock 21

MachIVshooter
November 26, 2012, 01:38 AM
Flashlight: Streamlight Microstream

Knife: Kershaw Needs Work or Blur Tanto

Firearm: Kel Tec P3AT, Kel Tec PF-9, CA Bulldog .44, S&W CS-45, Glock 20. One of these is always with me away from home.

I don't carry at work or worry about a car gun while at work, though. Of course, work and home are separated by a door..........

HorseSoldier
November 26, 2012, 01:43 AM
I'm never too far removed from a Wilson 1911, a Benchmade 710, and a Surefire E2D.

Dr.Rob
November 26, 2012, 02:08 AM
Swiss Army Knife Lockback Evolution.. though I've been eyeing upgrading to the Patagonia or Fireman's one handed knife. A pocket knife to me is far more useful a tool than the average 'fighting' knife.

Lenser LED flashlight I got at Home Depot... this converted me to LED for the long haul. Compact, durable, 1/4 the cost of 'tactical' lights. Silver in color but fits your fist like a roll of quarters.

http://www.ledlenser.com/flashlight/pocket-size/v2_dual_color

Home depot had these in red, blue and silver for around $20.

FEG hi-power clone.

rozziboy18
November 26, 2012, 04:02 AM
i love it!
read the heading to this post and looked down on my right side and was very pleased with myself!

my daily carry items

streamlight protac 2aa: bright as i need it to be and runs on easy to find AA's
spyderco deca vg10: best all around blade for me, holds a edge for freakin ever too
kimber super carry pro hd: running 230g hornady xtp +p's and 2 extra mags.

on a side note:
i carry a "man purse" ie a edc maxpedition or as i like to call it "my bag-o-mysteries".
its contents include.
kimber super carry pro hd
2 extra mags
extra box of hornady tap 230 +p xtp's
8 AA batterys
sharpening stone
small vial of bleach
small first aid kit
550 cord
3 power bars (replenished daily)
1 5hour energy
hand wire saw
small vial of fp10 gun oil
hand sanitizer
3 or 4 small zip lock bags

you would be amazed how much these things come in handy! since the bag goes everywhere with me work, woods, caves, rivers ect.. its not surprise its full of stuff, i want to add a "spot" locator but have put it off so long i doubt it will happen.

Snowdog
November 26, 2012, 04:33 AM
I used to carry a knife (Stryker 910), but while out and about, carry a multi-tool with one-handed accessible blade these days (Leatherman Wave). I carry the Benchmade still for yard work though.

When out at night, I always have a XenoE03, M&P40c and Leatherman Wave. If I'm planning on being outside at night, I'll typically have a spare 14500 battery as well. I have yet to run into a situation where I felt I needed more flashlight, knife or pistol.

Inebriated
November 26, 2012, 04:56 AM
EDC:
4Sevens Preon (until I recently lost it... looking for a new light now)
Benchmade Adams, SOG PowerLock, and Leatherman Style CS
Glock 19

bannockburn
November 26, 2012, 05:58 AM
Flashlight:

Maglite XL50

Knife:

Kershaw Scallion

Handgun:

SIG P-229E2 with a SIG STL-900L laser/light

bikerdoc
November 26, 2012, 06:25 AM
Surefire Scorpion with belt clip
A Spyderco or 2
A CZ 75 or 1911

hso
November 26, 2012, 09:40 AM
I'm seeing a lot of things that don't look like they're on folks every second they have their clothes on.

scaatylobo
November 26, 2012, 09:44 AM
I always have all three [ and a BUG ].

But wont bother advertising as to the different brands and makers stuff that I carry.

Personal choice is just that.

Long as you EDC the tools of living/survival.

v8stang289
November 26, 2012, 11:04 AM
Where legal, I always have the following on me.

Light: Maglite XL50
Knife: Kershaw Leek
Gun: Kimber Ultra Carry II or Keltec P3AT

SlowFuse
November 26, 2012, 11:32 AM
I seem to have a small and large version depending on the day/dress.

Light :
Streamlight Nano, always on my keychain or a Streamlight Microstream clipped to a pocket.

Knife: Kershaw Scallion or Byrd Crossbill.

Gun: G26 or P226

JShirley
November 26, 2012, 11:41 AM
I always have a Spyderco folder on me- most commonly, a Manix 2 XL.
The ElZetta M60 ( http://www.shootingreviews.com/ultimate-tactical-light-testing-the-elzetta-zfl-m60/) is the best personal/tactical light I've found.
I don't live in a free state, so there is no "always" sidearm, but I'd be likely to grab a CZ 75 9mm or a M4-style carbine.

USAF_Vet
November 26, 2012, 06:57 PM
My EDC is:
Flashlight - Streamlight PT1AA
Knife - Currently carrying a cheapo from Home Depot.
Gun - S&W 469

My Emergency kit contains a 3 cell Mag light and a Navy MkII combat knife. No gun, but I want to get either a 10/22 breakdown or a ZiP22 when they come out.
If I can find another decent single shot 12 or 20 gauge for dirt cheap, I'd cut it down to the legal limit and break it down and store it in my emergency kit. But at the moment, no firearm in my emergency kit.

Twmaster
November 27, 2012, 10:04 AM
Whenever dressed I am carrying a Kershaw Chill and a 4-Sevens Quark AA. Once I get my CHL (Any day now!) Where legal I'll have a FEG PA-63, CZ P-07 or Kimber 1911 as my carry firearm.

theotherwaldo
November 27, 2012, 08:15 PM
I carry a little Bear MGC folder in the pocket, a Swedish Fickalampa flashlight and a hobo folder in the bookbag, and an array of tools and devices in the cars. Let's not even mention the house.

FMF Doc
November 27, 2012, 08:20 PM
Light: Streamlight Stylus pro
Knife: ZT 0200ST
Gun: Gen4 G 19, Remington Golden Saber 124gr standard pressure,

EmbarkChief
November 28, 2012, 02:58 PM
Daily carry, 355 days a year. Of the three the knife probably gets used the most but the flashlight is a very close second. This pic is probably about 3+ years old, I use a Surefire L1 now but the rest is the same.

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u314/EmbarkChief/KC/IMG_0913.jpg

Stevie-Ray
November 28, 2012, 09:53 PM
Light: Ray-O-Vac Sportsman Extreme (Travels with me)
Guns: my EDC and BUG
Knife: NRA Tactical Assisted-opening folder (a freebee-Love it)

Warp
November 28, 2012, 10:18 PM
If they aren't carried, they aren't truly available. JMO

Glock 26, 4sevens Quark-X, Spyderco Military

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g105/austin3161324/Firearms/2e9e3e92.jpg

Inebriated
November 28, 2012, 11:29 PM
Warp, how does that Quark carry? I'm liking 4Sevens stuff a lot, and recently lost my Preon, so I'm looking for something new.

Also, pic of EDC inbound.

Noah
November 29, 2012, 12:06 AM
Always carry a Kershaw Tremor (assisted opening 3.75" blade), Leatherman Wingman, a thing of Fox OC spray in lieu of a handgun, and a Cree Ultrafire light. Too young to carry a gun, but always have a Romanian 7.62 AK and a stack of mags nearby when I'm home. :D Have another of the Cree lights in the mail to mount on the AK.

Agsalaska
November 29, 2012, 12:23 AM
I got the impression that the op wasn't looking for your daily carry but what you would have in an emergency situation(before you say it, I know anything can happen at anytime). But if, for example, you were in a hurricane or had to evacuate or something, a lot of people would make adjustments.

I had to evacuate a hurricane and came back to the aftermath. During the evacuation, a 13 hour 90 mile drive, there was no law. At all. I had a maglite, a leather man, a baby eagle 40, and a Winchester 1300. That was years ago.

Today, it would be the same maglite, a new leather man, probably the Kahr K40, and the folding stock ak47. But I might bring the 12 gauge too. I might also take the glock32 instead of the Kahr. It would depend on the weather.

Sheepdog1968
November 29, 2012, 01:33 AM
On me I carry
One of the newer more sturdy Swiss army pocket knives
Olight flashlight on my pocket
No gun yet as ca county I'm in difficult to get permit for concealed carry
Bic lighter to start a fire. I don't smoke
I have a whistle on my key chain

9mmfan
November 29, 2012, 02:15 AM
The basics, more some days, less others.

http://i414.photobucket.com/albums/pp225/9mmfan/IMG_0667.jpg

justice06rr
November 29, 2012, 02:42 AM
I finally have the three items altogether. I didn't have flashlights before, but now I have 4 good LED flashlights (different brands and sizes)

Pistol: Glock19
Flashlight: Ultrafire 502B
Knife: Black folding pocket knife (I forget the brand)

Cmiller21b
November 29, 2012, 02:45 AM
I carry a Sign P229 in. 40 Cal, a surefire aviator, a custom made sheath knife and a bench made griptillion, along with a night vision monacle. Everything but the bench made and nvd fits nicely into a custom leather rig I had made with along with 2 mags. I wear this under a jacket and it's never seen. I can even west the jacket unzipped and it only looks like my pants belt.

jim243
November 29, 2012, 03:09 AM
I don't live in a free state,

Free or otherwise, you technically do not live in any state of the union. The District of Columbia, now Washington, DC is a district under the contol of the federal government and is not answerable to any of the other states in the US.

I can understand some of the items carried, but a lot of the extras will be just dead weight most of the time. I use to hike the Rockies with nothing more than the clothes on my back a hunting knife and a S&W Model 27. Of course a box of matches would come in handy but is not absolutely necessary with a piece of flint and my knife.

Just my 2 cents, I guess the surgon general is correct that most Americans are over weight. (LOL)

Jim

PS: Survival is not dependent on what you carry on your body, but what you carry in your head.

Warp
November 29, 2012, 05:42 PM
Warp, how does that Quark carry? I'm liking 4Sevens stuff a lot, and recently lost my Preon, so I'm looking for something new.

Also, pic of EDC inbound.

It carries perfectly for me. For many years now I have carried a 2oz can of OC + a compact 2x123 flashlight in my left front pocket. I had an older model quark for a couple of years, a Fenix of identical dimenstions for a couple of years, and now this quark X for a year. They keep each other oriented vertically in my pocket nicely. I've been keeping the flashlight in a holster though so it doesn't damage the OC can too much.

I got the impression that the op wasn't looking for your daily carry but what you would have in an emergency situation

I believe that chances you what you will have in an emergency situation will be what you carry.

If you don't have access to it, it doesn't do you any good.

You seem to be asking about stuff for a major SHTF event. THR doesn't do SHTF.

Inebriated
November 29, 2012, 06:48 PM
It carries perfectly for me. For many years now I have carried a 2oz can of OC + a compact 2x123 flashlight in my left front pocket. I had an older model quark for a couple of years, a Fenix of identical dimenstions for a couple of years, and now this quark X for a year. They keep each other oriented vertically in my pocket nicely. I've been keeping the flashlight in a holster though so it doesn't damage the OC can too much.

Good to know. I ordered the Quark Tactical X or whatever the hell it is... clicky cap, XM-L emitter, their "tactical" interface, 123 batteries. I do believe it's the same as yours. I'm looking forward to getting it.

And I agree on the EDC part. These are the things that I'll most likely have on me, if ever needed.

Glock 19 Gen 4 in N82 holster, SOG PowerLock multitool, Leatherman Style CS multitool on my key chain, Benchmade Adamas (moving to the auto opener soon), extra 19 mag, wallet, and phone.
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb201/Name890/decedc1.jpg

Badlander
November 29, 2012, 07:14 PM
Work days A 640 S&W in .357, Weekends A Full size 1911 .45 .A buck Kalinga pro. And A lighter. Streamlite Stinger in Both trucks not on my person.
A lot of the everyday carry stuff I'm seeing here looks brand new. Planing to EDC is not the same as doing it.

Agsalaska
November 29, 2012, 07:14 PM
I believe that chances you what you will have in an emergency situation will be what you carry.

If you don't have access to it, it doesn't do you any good.

You seem to be asking about stuff for a major SHTF event. THR doesn't do SHTF.
Yea whatever

Rembrandt
November 29, 2012, 07:44 PM
Politically correct combo.....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v405/Rembrandt51/Img_0479.jpg

Warp
November 29, 2012, 08:54 PM
Good to know. I ordered the Quark Tactical X or whatever the hell it is... clicky cap, XM-L emitter, their "tactical" interface, 123 batteries. I do believe it's the same as yours. I'm looking forward to getting it.

And I agree on the EDC part. These are the things that I'll most likely have on me, if ever needed.

That is very similar to mine, just a different interface. My first Quark was the tactical UI, and I wanted a Tactical for the next one but received the standard (it was a gift for Christmas '11) so I kept it. Both interfaces have their strengths, and neither is optimal all of the time. I still don't know which interface I will get next, even.

Yea whatever

Okay.

doc2rn
November 29, 2012, 09:35 PM
SOG Creed or Buck 109
Titanium 5 LED
Winchester 30-30

Inebriated
November 30, 2012, 02:26 AM
That is very similar to mine, just a different interface. My first Quark was the tactical UI, and I wanted a Tactical for the next one but received the standard (it was a gift for Christmas '11) so I kept it. Both interfaces have their strengths, and neither is optimal all of the time. I still don't know which interface I will get next, even.

I like the Tactical interface. It seems a little more intuitive to me.

JERRY
November 30, 2012, 04:23 AM
a Raven .25acp, a swiss army knife, and a princess flash light from wal-mart's disney collection is far better than what most of the population has at hand when out and about.

Warp
November 30, 2012, 11:18 AM
I like the Tactical interface. It seems a little more intuitive to me.

The downside is that you essentially/practically only have access to the two output levels you have programmed in.

Big Boy
November 30, 2012, 11:25 AM
My EDC

Glock 36 Carried in a Crossbreed super tuck
Extra Mag
Fenix LD-100
KBAR TDI
(not pictured) Cold Steel American Lawman
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a58/CB-AARON/2011-12-25_18-55-37_338-1.jpg

mavracer
November 30, 2012, 12:30 PM
Flashlights EDC streamlight ProTac 1aa, if I'm going out at night I'll switch it out for a ProTac 2L
Knives EDC a Victornox mechanic and a Kershaw whirlwind again if I'm going out I'll switch out the Kershaw for a Kershaw Blackout or a CRKT Russ Commer depending on dress.
Guns EDC most of the time it's either a Ruger LCR, Kahr PM9 or Kahr CW45 in my pocket, But on any given occasion there's another dozen or so that'll get carried.

BullFrawg
November 30, 2012, 03:49 PM
Knife: Kershaw Half Ton
Light: Fenix E05
Gun: Illinois :banghead:

mljdeckard
November 30, 2012, 03:56 PM
I always carry a spyderco or CRKT knife. I have a Leatherman Pulse on my belt at all times. (It's pretty old, I might upgrade.) With my spare magazine, I carry a Surefire 6P flashlight. I have numerous headlamps. The ones you buy for $12 at Walmart are amazingly bright and durable. I have one that I took to Iraq, it survived getting washed and dried, still runs perfectly.

leadchucker
November 30, 2012, 06:28 PM
Regarding all three items, I have several of each at various stages of "at hand." Whatever's handy.

Twmaster
November 30, 2012, 07:09 PM
Whenever dressed I am carrying a Kershaw Chill and a 4-Sevens Quark AA. Once I get my CHL (Any day now!) Where legal I'll have a FEG PA-63, CZ P-07 or Kimber 1911 as my carry firearm.
As I got a new camera I thought I'd snap a shot of my EDC gear. (less the usual wallet, iPhone and keys...)

http://www.twmaster.com/stuff/shoot/edc.jpg

Inebriated
November 30, 2012, 09:06 PM
The downside is that you essentially/practically only have access to the two output levels you have programmed in.

Well that's why I like it. I only need max and moonlight. Having them on tap is great. I can always play around with other setups, depending on situation, but I will likely leave it on those two.

In other news, I picked up a Streamlight Stylus Pro. Little thing fits in the pocket VERY nicely. I might be just using it for EDC instead of the Quark, and putting the Quark on bedside duty.

Cosmoline
November 30, 2012, 09:18 PM
Surefire E2D
Custom Couch hunting knife
Ruger Speed Six

MTMilitiaman
December 2, 2012, 02:05 PM
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l308/MTMilitiaman/1knife1gun1flashlight.jpg

Surefire (don't know the exaact designation, just know it's BRIGHT!)
CRKT M21
Glock 19 9mm and two 15 round mags of Win 124 gr +P PDX1

jdub3
December 3, 2012, 11:46 PM
Light: Streamlight Microstream
Gun: Springfield XD9sc
Knives: Spyderco PM2, Benchmade 745, CS recon1, SOG Aegis or others depending on my mood and activities.

If you enjoyed reading about "Flashlight. Knife. Gun." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!