Rust Bluing question

PDA

steelcase
November 25, 2012, 07:32 PM
Hi, this is my first post. Tried my first attempt at rust bluing. I used Laurel Mountain Forge. Everything looks good. The only problem is I think I stopped a coat or two early. Rusted three times everything is evenly colored just could be darker. The question is since I have oiled the gun do I have to start over or can I degrease and continue the process? Anyone else ever have this problem?

If you enjoyed reading about "Rust Bluing question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
November 25, 2012, 07:40 PM
Degreasing completely should put you back to square one with the rusting process again.

rc

paintballdude902
November 25, 2012, 08:56 PM
i would just degrease the part and try it again.

osprey176
November 27, 2012, 05:58 PM
My buddy did a Mauser build and rust blued it,and posted the entire build, on AR15.com.It's titled "Mauser Build",big suprise.He documented the process well with lots of pictures.Might be worth taking a look at.He used a Shaw barrel in 6.5x55AI,and it shoots like a house afire.

jimmyraythomason
November 27, 2012, 06:02 PM
it shoots like a house afire. Okay...is that good?

osprey176
November 29, 2012, 02:11 PM
" IS THAT GOOD?"............. 3/4" at 300 yards? You tell me!

jimmyraythomason
November 29, 2012, 06:08 PM
" IS THAT GOOD?"............. 3/4" at 300 yards? You tell me!First,you tell ME what "shooting like a house afire" means. No idea if it means tight groups or all over the place. The original statementHe used a Shaw barrel in 6.5x55AI,and it shoots like a house afire.
could easily be taken either way.

fdashes
November 29, 2012, 06:25 PM
3/4 " groups at 300 yards....yeah, I would say that is terrific but want to see that first.

If you enjoyed reading about "Rust Bluing question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!