Powder brand loyalty

PDA

RE-15
November 25, 2012, 07:33 PM
Do any of you find yourself favoring one brand over another? I find they all perform well. I don't use Hodgdon products since I'm not fond of anything from Kansas. With So many to pick from I got to narrow down my choices some how. I Lean towards AA/ Ramshot products due the container shape. Anyone else pick products this way?

If you enjoyed reading about "Powder brand loyalty" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
November 25, 2012, 07:35 PM
since I'm not fond of anything from Kansas.Get over it.

You guys started it in the first place with your slaves and all!

Then you come over here and burned Lawrence down and killed all the men & boys.

And then, you MU pulled out of the Big 12 conference, which was the final straw!!!

rc

rockn30809
November 25, 2012, 07:46 PM
I use what does the job best for the best price and is easily accessable in my area. I could care less what state it's made in or the container shape.

RE-15
November 25, 2012, 07:48 PM
I thought of you RC when posting it. I can't help it, 4 gen from Missouri. One grandpa is from Prairie Village if that helps.

Certaindeaf
November 25, 2012, 07:48 PM
I don't use Vihatoi because I can't spell it.

cfullgraf
November 25, 2012, 07:56 PM
Brands, no.

individual powders yes--both use and avoid.

Many reasons not the least of which are my idiosyncrasies.

Availability has some to do with it at times.

beatledog7
November 25, 2012, 07:57 PM
I use IMR/Hodgdon/Winchester (all basically the same company), Alliant, Accurate, and Ramshot.

StretchNM
November 25, 2012, 08:00 PM
I kindly have a preference for IMR, but I use several from Hodgdon, Alliant, Accurate, and some WInchester. I think my IMR "bias" probably stems from reminescence of a bygone day - many years ago when I started reloading shotgun shells, I used IMR7625, and that just stuck with me through the years.

Arkansas Paul
November 25, 2012, 08:13 PM
There is Hodgdon, IMR, Alliant and Winchester on my shelf. I have never tried Ramshot, mainly because it's not readily available here, and I've never tried Vihtovori or however the hell you spell it, because if I'm getting moa groups, with $23 a pound powder, why would I want to spend $30+ on a pound?

moxie
November 25, 2012, 08:23 PM
I'm partial to Alliant powders. Partly because I had a good relationship with Hercules back when I had the AF munitions program, and partly because their powders simply work for me. I've also had good luck with several Winchester powders. No need to try others.

Walkalong
November 25, 2012, 08:31 PM
I could care less who makes a powder as long as it performs for me in a given application.

I have and use powders from Hodgdon, Ramshot, IMR, Alliant, Vihtavuori, Accurate, Scott, & Winchester. Basically from all over the world.

Starter52
November 25, 2012, 08:39 PM
Alliant is my number one brand, since most of my reloading is for handguns. Bullseye, Red Dot, Unique and 2400 are my favorites. I do like WW 231 for some autopistol loads, and I find Trailboss to be useful in .45 Colt target loads, but mainly Alliant for me.

RyeDaddy
November 25, 2012, 08:52 PM
Yes. For rifles I only use Hodgdon/IMR temp stable powders.

In handguns it seems I only have Alliant in the house out of 6 different thpes, but that's a coincidence.

gunlaw
November 25, 2012, 09:14 PM
Hey RC switch to decaff.:D

Elkins45
November 25, 2012, 09:48 PM
I don't use Hodgdon products since I'm not fond of anything from Kansas.

They don't actually make the powder in Kansas, if that makes you feel any better.

orionengnr
November 25, 2012, 10:20 PM
Almost five years in, and I am still in the experimentation stage. I have Red Dot, Green Dot, Blue Dot, 2400, Bullseye and Unique from Alliant. From Winchester, 231, 296, 748, and 760. HS6 from Hodgdon. Alliant Power Pistol and IMR 800X on order from Powder Valley. Hey, that is in Kansas, right? :)

Dang, you got that right...:)

ColtPythonElite
November 25, 2012, 10:28 PM
Been using nothing but Alliant in handguns for 20+ years.

Upstater
November 25, 2012, 10:29 PM
I use primarily w231, though it is a might dirtier than some it seems to work well for all the calibers I reload for, kinda my "universal" powder if you will. It is also harder to make the mistake of using the wrong powder.:rolleyes:

breacher
November 25, 2012, 10:44 PM
I only use Ramshot 'cause I like sheep.:what:

FROGO207
November 25, 2012, 10:47 PM
If it works well in the application, is priced less than other comparable propellants, and available when I need it that is what I buy. No brand loyalty here.:D

Dakotashooter
November 25, 2012, 11:40 PM
I use Unique for my 9mm, .45 ACP,...AA for some .44 mag and .454 casual loads. I like the Hogden and IMR powders for most bottleneck cartridges.

WNTFW
November 26, 2012, 12:01 AM
After finding some powders hard to get at times I figure I might as well get on to plan 'B', 'C' and even 'D'. Most of what I shoot is so main stream that path is pretty well beaten. So I now do load development for a backup powder or 2. Plus some times you hit a better load.

In the beginning it is hard to buy more than one pound of a powder not knowing if you will like it. I was drawn toward Ramshot for the price.

capreppy
November 26, 2012, 12:15 AM
I can't afford to experiment. I go with a general consensus and then look for the cheapest powder that will get me to where my accuracy goals take me. It just so happens that it has taken me to Hodgdon. HP-38 for pistol. Varget, H335, H322, H4350 for rifles. I have common calibers.

1SOW
November 26, 2012, 12:47 AM
Pistol:
List ALL the good attributes a powder brand CAN have: Not Temp Sensitive, cool burning, easy metering, clean burning, most can't double charge, little/no muzzle flash, etc etc .

Vihtavuori's single-base powders fill my pistol requirements on all counts. You get what you pay for. I guess that makes me LOYAL to Vit.
AA is plan "B", but my powder system doesn't like it, easy to double charge.
231/Hp-38 is plan "C", but it burns dirty with light comp. loads.

Fishslayer
November 26, 2012, 02:00 AM
Availability is a factor in California. Not every hardware & big box store carries supplies here. I don't buy enough to justify $25 hazmat fees from internet sources.

I started reloading during the Great Ammo Drought of '09. The drought also affected supplies. Alliant powders were the most readily available from multiple sources in my area. There is also a ton of data available online for Bullseye & 2400.

FYI Green Dot is a great substitute for Bullseye in .45ACP & .38 SP. Found that out when I couldn't find any Bullseye. ;)

R.W.Dale
November 26, 2012, 02:46 AM
I pretty much only buy hodgdon/imr powders due primarily to their extremely extensive load database avalible free online. Honestly if you use hodgdon powders you don't even need to own a reloading manual

All the other makers combined don't have a tenth of the loads hodgdon does.

posted via that mobile app with the sig lines everyone complaints about

BigN
November 26, 2012, 04:29 AM
I only have so much room on the top shelf of my bench so I need a bottle to be a certain shape to fit. I have room for 13 bottles, that's it. IMR, Hogdon, RE, Unique, Bullseye.

Bud0505
November 26, 2012, 07:57 AM
I load only handgun rounds and use 231, Unique, BE and AA#9.

Kevin Rohrer
November 26, 2012, 09:58 AM
I tend to use IMR powders for rifles and Unique (Hercules/Alliant) for pistol, although I have no specific reason for doing so except that they work well in my guns.

I'd like to try Accurate Arms powders as they are less expensive, but I have too many pounds of IMR on my shelves to switch.

jmorris
November 26, 2012, 10:02 AM
I use many different brands. If I only loaded one round and never messed with loads I could get by with just one but with my luck that would be the one that got discontinued.

jim243
November 26, 2012, 10:05 AM
I started rloading with Hodgdon powders on a recommendation of my best friend who was reloading for over 20 years at the time, and have seen no reason (results) that would change my mind. (Hodgdon, IMR and Win 231)

Jim

oneounceload
November 26, 2012, 10:35 AM
I don't use Hodgdon products since I'm not fond of anything from Kansas

Their products are typically from Australia.... ;)

ATLDave
November 26, 2012, 10:44 AM
All the other makers combined don't have a tenth of the loads hodgdon does.

Well, that's partially because Hodgdon has so many powders. Accurate/Western/Ramshot are about as generous with data for their powders (and they'll let you download pdf's of their whole load set, so you can use it even if you don't have internet somewhere). And it's no coincidence that Western and Hodgdon are becoming my favorite manufacturers!

R.W.Dale
November 26, 2012, 10:55 AM
Well, that's partially because Hodgdon has so many powders. Accurate/Western/Ramshot are about as generous with data for their powders (and they'll let you download pdf's of their whole load set, so you can use it even if you don't have internet somewhere). And it's no coincidence that Western and Hodgdon are becoming my favorite manufacturers!

No no they're not. Where the other manufacturers may have a half dozen loads shown for various bullet weights per caliber hodgdon has probably a hundred combinations shown for the most popular calibers in a searchable format to boot rather than a stupid PDF you must download and rifle through .

Lets face it compared to hodgdons online data center all others flat out FAIL and fail hard

Total number of 357 mmag loads from accurate 35

Hodgdon

WNTFW
November 26, 2012, 11:41 AM
RW Dale,
I have to agree with you. The searchable format lets you narrow down the data.

Ramshots load data is about the worst. I like using their powder but their data in not one of their strong points.

I also like to check the bullets mfgrs data. Having the data accessible on line is great.

ATLDave
November 26, 2012, 11:50 AM
No no they're not. Where the other manufacturers may have a half dozen loads shown for various bullet weights per caliber.

I'm struggling to understand this comment. If I go to 10mm, one of the cartridges I reload most, Hodgdon has 4 bullets listed (135 Nosler, 155 and 200 Hornady, and 180 Sierra), and about a dozen different powders. Total of 36 loads.

If I go to AA's data, they've only got 3 powders listed. But that's because they only MAKE four pistol powders, and one (#2) doesn't work for 10mm. But in addition to all the bullets listed by Hodgdon, they list a bunch more, such as Raniers (in case you want to load plated bullets), some jacketed bullet weights not listed in Hodgdon (150, 165, 190), and some unjacketed bullets. Total of 30 loads, or thereabout. So there's a lot less extrapolating about how one bullet might be similar to others that they have listed, or trying to guess how to split the different between a 155 and 180 to load for 165.

AA has fewer loads because they make fewer powders. That's not a problem with their data (much less a "FAIL"). They just don't have as big a product line. Although if you add in Ramshot data (owned by Western and with data in the same format), they have enough additional powders to actually provide many MORE loads than Hodgdon.

And the fields of data are pretty much the same between the two sites. Both offer COAL, start charges and velocities, max charges and velocities, and max PSI's. The only additional data Hodgdon gives is start PSI; I'm not sure how I'd use that, but more information is generally better, so point to Hodgdon there.

There organization of information is the same at the top level - organized by caliber/cartridge. At the second level, AA organizes first by poweder, then within poweder by bullet. Hodgdon does the reverse, at least until you filter. AA's format requires the same amount of "hunting" as a reloading manual or, for that matter, a dictionary. If that's very problematic to a user, that's probably a sign that user ain't up to reloading generally.

As for the .pdf, I prefer that format. I get sketchy wifi reception in my basement, where I reload. Sometimes web access is slow in that part of the house. I prefer having the data reside on my computer where as service outage doesn't keep me from it. But reasonable people can disagree, I guess. Seems a minor point, though.

ATLDave
November 26, 2012, 11:52 AM
Ramshots load data is about the worst. I like using their powder but their data in not one of their strong points.

Why? Are you really talking about the data, or the presentation of that data?

R.W.Dale
November 26, 2012, 12:07 PM
I can even email to myself or print out a page from hodgdon for the specific load I'm using that I can make my notations on and but in my load binder.

So even in sketchy internet purgatory hodgdon wins over going through an entire PDF to have one 125g 357 magnum load in front of you

Example

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/11/27/aqedy6ev.jpg

ATLDave
November 26, 2012, 12:24 PM
So it's not the amount of data, nor it's detail, but just the formating?

OK, fine, that's a legitimate preference. But that wasn't the original dispute. I said AA is as generous with their data as Hodgdon (go compare Alliant for someone stingy with their data). You said "no, no they're not." If you like the ergonomics of the Hodgdon data better, that's not a question of generosity.

R.W.Dale
November 26, 2012, 12:30 PM
So it's not the amount of data, nor it's detail, but just the formating?
y.

No its all of the above, as you've ignored 140 357 mag loads vs 35 and its like that for most other cartridges

Hodgdon has much more data when you look at cartridges not bordering on obsolescence (ahem 10mm)

Plus hodgdon has data for oddball and wildcat cartridges too. I would look for some example but quite honestly digging up and through the PDF is too much trouble just to make a point.

Note all this has been done on A PHONE!

CZ57
November 26, 2012, 07:26 PM
I still have some HS-6 but I gave up using Hodgdon powders because they stopped publishing free load guides and asked the reloader to pay for their loading guide quite a few years ago while other powder companies continued to provide free load guides. They are now more generous since the advent of the internet but I have always found their data to be the least reliable. So when it comes to using Hodgdon powder, I always consulted a reloading manual rather than Hodgdon's data.

I started out with Alliant powders but that changed when I discovered the advantages of using Ball/Spherical powders like Hodgdon, Winchester and Accurate. I was pretty loyal to Vihta Vouri after they were introduced in the US and used them for a number of years. Today I do all of my handgun loading and some rifle loading with Ramshot powders. I use all 4 of their handgun powders and 2 of their rifle powders. When it comes to loading issues, Johan Loubser, Western Powder Co's ballistician is about as helpful as anyone I've ever encountered in the industry. ;)

Walkalong
November 26, 2012, 07:27 PM
Why? Are you really talking about the data, or the presentation of that data?I cannot answer for WNTFW, but I have found some of their data to be weak. I also cannot come close to the velocities listed when using their charge weights for Silhouette in 9MM, and True Blue in .38 Spl. Both of those powders can do well in those calibers, but you have to go off the page, and I refer not to do that.

CZ57
November 26, 2012, 07:32 PM
Walkalong, there is better data for Silhouette in the 9mm in the Sierra manual. Ramshot's data for .38 Special was gathered in a 7.75" barrel of unlisted type. This is unfortunate because it is hard to replicate. The Lyman Pistol & Revolver III also has some good data for Ramshot powders. ;)

EddieNFL
November 26, 2012, 07:43 PM
Without inventorying the powder locker I can think of WW, VV, Ramshot, IMR, Hodgdon, Alliant, Accurate and maybe some Norma way in the back. A couple are no longer in production.

...because if I'm getting moa groups, with $23 a pound powder, why would I want to spend $30+ on a pound?

Try shopping in Kansas.

dragon813gt
November 26, 2012, 10:28 PM
I tend to stick w/ Hodgdon powders. Mainly because they work for me and I can get them locally if I have to. I also prefer the bottles they come in. They aren't overly sized and they are wide mouth. This is a minor thing and doesn't prevent me from buying another brand. But Alliant's bottles annoy me.

Brought to you by TapaTalk.

JLDickmon
November 27, 2012, 08:47 AM
Vihtavouri

didn't even have to look at the can.

Taho!

Certaindeaf
November 27, 2012, 09:11 AM
^
Gesoonheight!

Blackrock
November 27, 2012, 09:19 AM
I used Hodgdon/IMR exclusivly until the last rloading component shortage when I had a hard time finding my favorites. My LGS always had plenty of Alliant powder on hand so I switched to Rel15 and Power Pistol for a lot of my loads.

I found that Rel15 and Varget are real close in performance.

J_McLeod
November 27, 2012, 09:33 AM
I'm partial to Hodgdon's powders, but don't completely exclude others. I like all their powders I've tried, They have the best load data, and I like the mission statement on their website.

cfullgraf
November 27, 2012, 09:59 AM
...I gave up using Hodgdon powders because they stopped publishing free load guides and asked the reloader to pay for their loading guide...

I do not mind buying the annual Hodgdon reloading magazine because it has some other interesting information in it besides the reloading data.

Same for the hard bound reloading manuals. I recently purchased Berger's and Hornady's new manuals.

While I do use the manufacturers' web sites at times, I prefer to have the hard copy at my reloading bench. Among other reasons, a computer is not convenient to my reloading bench.

I reload for about 30 different cartridges so I get a bigger bang for the buck from buying manuals.

Different strokes for different folks.

I use mostly powders distributed by Hodgdon and Western plus Unique.

manithree
November 27, 2012, 10:31 AM
I agree with previous posts that Hodgdon load data is cool. A simple cut and past from their website into a spreadsheet and you can quickly sort by bullet weight (a little iffy), min or max velocity, charge weight, etc.

But the real reason I like Hodgdon is because Trail Boss is such a safe fun way to start rifle re-loading.

And H4895 is awesome. My son wanted to do a science project with various charge weights and recoil. With H4895 we used the (Hodgdon-published) 60% rule and loaded up .22-250 with 20,23,26,29, and 32 grains of powder and got 2100-3600 fps and 1.7 to 7.5 ft-lbs of FRE.

Not only that we now have 22 Hornet, .223, and full .22-250 replacement loads with H4895 and some nearly .22 WMR-level with Trail Boss. Fun, fun stuff.

I do use Accurate and Clay's for handgun, but I am becoming a real Hodgdon fan for rifles.

ranger335v
November 27, 2012, 11:22 AM
Goodness. I got over any small emotional attachment to or against inanimate objects of a certain brand, container or color about 60 years ago.

RE-15
November 27, 2012, 07:54 PM
I haven't found a bad powder for the job they were designed for. So I'm left with immature trivial reasons to make the final choice. I was wondering if someone had another way to choose them besides not liking Kansas.In my area all are available and priced the same.

GLOOB
November 27, 2012, 08:34 PM
The main reason I'm loyal to my powders is because I don't want to work up a new load all over again.

The main reason I started with the ones I did, is because they were the first powders for which I found load data that I wanted to try.

The main reason I no longer use some of those powders is because they don't meter well. I've never had to ditch a powder because it didn't shoot well for what I wanted it to do.

I have a bad itch to try Ramshot Tac in my rifles, but I don't wanna work up a new load, and I don't know if my meter will like it. So for now, I'm "loyal" to H335. I shot some W748 that was gifted me, and it was just as good. I'm sure I'd be "loyal" to that powder if I'd started there. The two stick powders I tried were great, but I don't like having to back up and fix things when the meter bridges.

I also don't care what the container looks like... because if it doesn't fit on the shelf with my mostly IMR/HODGDON/WIN selection, I have plenty of empty bottles that I can put it in and slap a new label on. If I like the powder, that bottle will stay on the shelf and get refilled - from an 8 lb jug, if I really like it!

If everyone were like me, powder companies would purchase mailing lists of reloaders and send them a free quarter pound of all their best selling powders. Then they'd be forced to try them all, since I (therefore, they) couldn't throw perfectly good powder away. And if it metered better, was cheaper, shot cleaner, or even smelled a little better, it would be much easier to switch, since they'd have already been "forced" to work up some loads.

KevinR
November 28, 2012, 06:35 AM
RE-15

I am with you, I dont care for Hodgdon. I think it all goes back to pyrodex. Lost some deer because of that powder.

Crashbox
November 28, 2012, 07:00 AM
To me, powder brand is irrelevant- what matters is that it fulfills the intended purpose.

1SOW
November 29, 2012, 12:51 AM
To me, powder brand is irrelevant- what matters is that it fulfills the intended purpose.

Makes it a little hard to order doesn't it? :-)

Magnum Shooter
November 29, 2012, 09:19 AM
I mostly use Alliant but that is just because it’s hard to teach an old dog new tricks. Unless some other powder gives me some noticeable improvement, it‘s right back to Alliant for me.

rdhood
November 29, 2012, 09:27 AM
I don't have powder brand loyalty. I am not constantly searching for the "best" powder or load. When I find a powder or load I like... I stick with it for a very very long time.

LeonCarr
November 29, 2012, 09:53 AM
I mostly use the Hodgdon Extreme Powders in rifles due to their temperature insensitivity, but use almost exclusively Winchester powders (WST, W231, W296) in handguns.

If I found a powder that did the job better than the above, I would switch to it :).

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

gamestalker
November 29, 2012, 07:32 PM
Winchester, IMR, Hogdon, Alliant, and Accurate powders are about it for me. I'm happy with those.

GS

eam3clm@att.net
November 29, 2012, 08:24 PM
I am loyal to my 8oz can of SR-4756 that I bought so many years ago. It was my first powder to use in reloading. I used it to load up some hornady 147 xtp bullets for my 9mm. I still have some left and every so often I will get it out to try some loads.

billybob44
November 29, 2012, 08:47 PM
I like Hodgdon powders for most all of my handgun loads.

I like some Hodgdon (H335,H380,+Varget),+ some IMR (3031,4064,4198) in my rifle loads..Bill.

Nanook
November 30, 2012, 07:23 PM
I never cared about brand loyalty. I just buy whatever works. I try new powders based on reviews by friends or Net reviews. If I like it I keep buying it.

If I don't like it, I don't buy anymore. I do like Hodgdon products, and have a number of them, but it's not just because of the brand name. What I have of theirs works, and works well.

I'm a fan of Varget, in several calibers. But I also like Relodr 15 for at least 2 of those calibers. Variety is the spice of life, as the old saying goes.

Hondo 60
November 30, 2012, 07:32 PM
I use what does the job best for the best price and is easily accessible in my area. I could care less what state it's made in or the container shape.

I use the powders that I know something about.
Tite Group , Accurate #5, 2400, Lil Gun & Varget.
Those are 99% of my reloading.

I've tried a couple of other powders that I just wasn't very impressed with.
Universal - It's OK, but I like Tite Group better for 38 Spl & 9mm
W296 - 2400 has been a better match for my 357 Magnum round, just seems more accurate.
I also tried W296 in my 44 Magnum - Lil Gun seems to work better for me.
RL-15 - very good powder, and would certainly buy it again, but I couldn't find it a year ago when I bought an 8# jug (Varget)

So to answer the original question, I guess I'm slightly partial to Hodgdon products.
I know their website well & it's easy for me to find load data there.
But all in all, I use whatever works for me, and like the quote, I don't care what state it's made in or the container shape.

Clark
December 1, 2012, 01:12 AM
Here are the powders I have lying around and which one I used EFFECTIVELY this year:

Red Dot ......shot a squirrel yesterday .458" 150 gr 1 gr 45/70 400 fps
Bullseye
Herter's 164
SR7625
Unique
AA#5
Power Pistol..........I am carrying 380 90 gr Gold Dot right now 1100 fps LCP
HS-6
Blue Dot
3N37
800-X
AA#7
N105
Long Shot
STEEL
Enforcer
AA#9
N110
H110................I took it to the range this year with 32 S&W Long 85 gr 1400 fps
W296
LIL'GUN

XMP5744
RL-7
V-133
IMR3031
RL-10
AA2200
W748
CFE223.................less fouling, good for breaking in rifle barrels 257, 260, 7mm
H335
RL-12
H4895
IMR4895
Norma 203
RL-15
Varget
H414
Re17
H4350...................last month I shot 4 deer with it 115 gr Nos BT .257RAIR 3050 fps
IMR4350
H4831SC
Re22
Retumbo

Swampman
December 1, 2012, 03:47 AM
But the real reason I like Hodgdon is because Trail Boss is such a safe fun way to start rifle re-loading.
Trail Boss is actually sold under the IMR brand. I think it was developed by ADI in Oz.

But to answer the OPs question:
I have loyalty to my wife, my kids, my friends, my Church, the Constitution and quite a few other things.
Loyalty to a company that sells a commodity in order to earn a profit, not so much.
I've bought and used powder from just about all of the big companies selling them in the US. I've also used a lot of surplus powders and oddballs like the "Swiss Precision Powder" imported by Wideners and some "Rex" shotgun powder from God knows where.
Almost all of them worked well for one purpose or another.
I like Hodgdon's Varget, but if I could buy ADI AR2208 for a nickel a pound less, it'd be bye bye to Hodgdon.

My best friend on the other hand, is so loyal to IMR-4064 that he won't buy a rifle unless it's chambered for a cartridge that performs well with it.

Skyshot
December 1, 2012, 05:41 AM
If it works it works, Couldn't care aless about brands and that holds true for bullets, primers and brass.

Jaxondog
December 1, 2012, 08:29 AM
I guess I honestly lean more toward the Accurate powder's. ;)

cbuttre835
December 1, 2012, 10:45 AM
I'm partial to the 8 lb jug of stuff that I bought for $40 that says load it like Accurate 2460

I wish I could find some more. I load it in .223 and .308.

wankerjake
December 1, 2012, 11:25 AM
Hodgdon's website rocks, I would say I use more Hodgdon and IMR powders than any others. But I do use others, and like them. There will always be a can of Bullseye and a can of Unique on my bench.

CHALK22
December 1, 2012, 01:06 PM
I have been sortof partial to Ramshot's products in the last few years. But I am from Montana, so maybe there is a bias there. ( I know it isn't actually MADE in MT, yadda yadda)

P5 Guy
December 1, 2012, 01:52 PM
I'm kind of partial to the powders made in Florida.

Mule
December 1, 2012, 08:20 PM
Hooked on cheap. I like the mil-surp powders for my rifles and Promo for my clay target loads. W231 takes care of most of my handguns. And I prefer real black powder. I too learned a lesson with pyrojunk.

Swampman
December 1, 2012, 10:59 PM
The Hodgdon reloading data center is OK, but I wish they would start listing all the loads in EITHER CUP OR PSI. I could understand the difference immediately after they took over IMR, but it's been almost 10 years now...

If you enjoyed reading about "Powder brand loyalty" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!