Crank for semi-DShK

PDA

Trent
November 26, 2012, 04:22 PM
Because spending $3 a second just isn't good enough.

I have a semi-DShK, and I've been thinking of building a replacement trigger assembly for it. In particular... one with a crank.

Do I need to seek ATF permission to do this or is there a general purpose letter out there about crank operated weapons? I would retain the design of the resetting sear, obviously (has to catch the semi-auto striker block between shots, after all). So the firearm would still function semi-automatically.

If you enjoyed reading about "Crank for semi-DShK" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Trent
November 26, 2012, 04:26 PM
(The DShK trigger assembly pops off the end of the firearm with a single pin, was thinking of a drop-in replacement so I could easily change it out without bolting something fugly over the weapon's existing trigger group)

Trent
November 26, 2012, 04:55 PM
Mods if more appropriate move to Legal; not sure which forum was a better place for this. I figured NFA guys would know a lot more about the subject (with there being SOT's in here).

MasterSergeantA
November 26, 2012, 07:19 PM
So long as anything you attach actually pulls the trigger for each individual shot, you should be well within the law. Hand cranked devices have been around for a few years now...the 10/22 "Gatling gun" offered by Tactical Innovations as an example.

http://www.tacticalinc.com/gatling-gun-kit-p-2468.html

Now, taking the crank off, locking the trigger mechanism back and putting an electric drill on the spindle would NOT be a good idea. The key requirement is that the weapon must fire each round individually for each pull of the trigger. If it goes *bang* more than once on a single pull, it is a "machinegun".

WardenWolf
November 26, 2012, 09:22 PM
Hand-cranked gatling guns are 100% legal, as crazy as that may sound.

KMcCoy
November 26, 2012, 10:26 PM
Not sure where you are, but "trigger actuator devices" like the crank you describe, are illegal in California. Might be true in some other states as well.

MasterSergeantA
November 26, 2012, 11:06 PM
Very good point. It is not only the ATF about which you need to be worried. Not a problem here in Arizona, but elsewhere...well...

Trent
November 27, 2012, 11:21 AM
Well, this might actually be legal in California. It would replace the entire end-cap trigger entirely. It doesn't actuate the trigger; it entirely replaces the trigger, and becomes the trigger. :)

Here's a pic on Apex - trigger group is the left most piece with the handles.

https://www.apexgunparts.com/images/PartsKit/DShK%20Kit.jpg

It slides up in to the rear of the receiver and is secured by a thick cross pin. It is of very heavy construction - it's what prevents the bolt assembly from blowing through your neck/chest if the op rod breaks. :)

In the semi build, the original trigger was modified to include a trigger disconnector; the original hard block that pushes "up" to disengage the sear was replaced with a folding/hinged disconnector piece that requires a release of the trigger between shots.

I was thinking of replacing the entire assembly with a new one that includes a crank that has 4 lobes which in turn press down on the transfer bar, which via post pushes up against the sear transfer bar via a trigger disconnector. The actual operating mechanism would remain unchanged. The only difference is instead of handles and a pair of pull-back triggers, there'd be a crank with a single handle.

If you enjoyed reading about "Crank for semi-DShK" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!