Where has all the CCI 22LR ammo gone?

PDA

jt20639
November 26, 2012, 08:20 PM
Since there is no rimfire group per se, I was just wandering if anyone has noticed the lack of supply of CCI rimfire ammo. Mini-mags, stingers, maxi-mags, 22LR tactical, etc. The shelves at Walmart have been empty for 2 months. Everything has been backordered on Cabela's, Midway USA since October. What up?

Forgot to add that I just purchase a Ruger LCR in .22LR in case you're wondering why I posted here. I want to shoot solely CCI stingers out of this gun but until they appear somewhere the gun just sits in the safe.

If you enjoyed reading about "Where has all the CCI 22LR ammo gone?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ole farmerbuck
November 26, 2012, 08:40 PM
I havent had much trouble finding CCI's, except their Blazer bulk.

R.W.Dale
November 26, 2012, 08:41 PM
I recently purchased 2k of the blazer bulk at a LGS

posted via that mobile app with the sig lines everyone complaints about

68lemans462
November 26, 2012, 08:41 PM
saw some at bass pro last weekend on the shelf here in Denver.

Aikibiker
November 26, 2012, 08:48 PM
My local Walmart only gets the occaisional 50 round box of Stingers or CCI subsonic. Haven't seen the big 100 (150?) round boxes in months and I have been looking. Started disappearing a couple months ago here too.

I need some Minimags for the 10/22 and they are nowhere to be found in my area.

FMF Doc
November 26, 2012, 09:07 PM
It is all on a shelf in my garage. Sorry :( 20K+ .22 and counting

jt20639
November 26, 2012, 09:11 PM
Maybe it's just on the east coast. I've surfed the net all day and so far the best response I got is we're expecting some in around Feb '13. ***, did all the factories blow up, are the doomsday preppers cornering the market?

Aikibiker
November 26, 2012, 09:12 PM
It is all on a shelf in my garage. Sorry 20K+ .22 and counting

Dang I wish I had an ammo stash like that.

jt20639
November 26, 2012, 09:14 PM
I'll give you twice the price for some of those 36 gr hp mini-mags or stingers

22-rimfire
November 26, 2012, 09:15 PM
All you have to do is to keep buying more than you shoot and eventually you will have 20K and more. It also helps to buy by the case.

Bush Pilot
November 26, 2012, 09:15 PM
You had me worried, I checked my basement and garage and my stash hasn't moved. Seriously, we aren't having any problem finding CCI .22 ammo (or anything made by CCI) I guess it doesn't hurt living 90 miles from the factory.

Bush Pilot
November 26, 2012, 09:17 PM
It is all on a shelf in my garage. Sorry :( 20K+ .22 and counting
That's a nice start lad.

22-rimfire
I have noticed a general reduction of the volume of 22 ammo at Walmart. Need to take a closer look on my next visit.

MedWheeler
Yep, I've noticed that, too. CCI MiniMags, both HP and solids, are fairly-recently suddenly scarce around these parts, too. They're all I've ever used that functioned reliably in my autoloaders. Fortunately, I have a recently-acquired single-action revolver that's very enjoyable to load and shoot, and I can use all my "bulk" stuff in..

f4t9r
November 26, 2012, 09:24 PM
Walmart always had them , but not lately

Hotshot10
November 26, 2012, 09:25 PM

Of Mini Mags? In all of the little 100-round plastic boxes? Impressive.

All you have to do is to keep buying more than you shoot and eventually you will have 20K and more. It also helps to buy by the case.

Serious question: where do you buy Mini Mags by the case? I've been looking for a way to get the cost under 6.7 cents a round, and I have not found any.

OP, there are probably 500 boxes of Mini Mags at the Cabelas near me, but they're all RN. All of the HPs have been sold out for months. Other than that, my LGS has been sold out for a few weeks now. I hope there's not a shortage. Those are my favorite .22 LR round.

FMF Doc
November 26, 2012, 09:28 PM
It isn't all minimag. Infact, it isn't all .22lr. I have shorts and mag too. My favorite .22lr is the Velocitors: 40 grain gilded hollow point nose at 1435 ft/sec. I probably have about 5k of those. Took a while, as they are not cheap, $10/100ct.

Bush Pilot
November 26, 2012, 09:32 PM
Of Mini Mags? In all of the little 100-round plastic boxes? Impressive.

Serious question: where do you buy Mini Mags by the case? I've been looking for a way to get the cost under 6.7 cents a round, and I have not found any.

OP, there are probably 500 boxes of Mini Mags at the Cabelas near me, but they're all RN. All of the HPs have been sold out for months. Other than that, my LGS has been sold out for a few weeks now. I hope there's not a shortage. Those are my favorite .22 LR round.
$6.29/100 locally for either HP or solids. Up until recently you could find them on sale for $5.59/100. Sorry they're getting hard to find in places, it's some of the best production ammo on the market.

Remllez
November 26, 2012, 09:50 PM
Don't know what part of the country your all in but the upper Midwest is doing pretty good on all manner of ammo. Plus less than 2 weeks ago I bought a 5,000 round case of CCI Blazer at Dunns Sporting goods for $179.99 plus free shipping....so it's still out there.

ColtPythonElite
November 26, 2012, 10:05 PM
Yep, I got me a couple of cases of from Dunn's also.

hi-tower
November 27, 2012, 08:43 AM
Yep me too on the case purchase from Dunn's. With what I had already on hand I will be good for quite a while. That is good since I have bought some more 22lr firearms and some hi-capacity mags for some of the rifles.

almherdfan
November 27, 2012, 09:04 AM
I've had trouble finding the bulk packs of Federal and Blazer. No problem finding CCI. I finally found some Federal yesterday @16/525 at one of the bigger outdoor shops around here. I was hoping to get some Blazer, but they didn't have a box. They had all versions of CCI.

MCgunner
November 27, 2012, 09:40 AM

Hope it's cool and dry. Rimfire definitely has a shelf life in humid coastal Texas even in the AC. Can't stash it at all in the heat and humidity.

ATLDave
November 27, 2012, 09:48 AM
I'm still able to get CCI rimfire stuff where I am, but their centerfire primers for reloading have been thin on the ground near me. Seems like the whole company must be running at or near capacity and not staying up with demand.

drsfmd
November 27, 2012, 10:33 AM
Plenty of it around here...

Hondo 60
November 27, 2012, 10:33 AM
The last time I looked at Wally, they didn't have any stingers, velocitors, or maximags.

In fact the only CCI 22 ammo they had was just standard 22lr.
(no shorts either)

aarondhgraham
November 27, 2012, 02:27 PM
I just got a boxed deal of CCI Mini Mags,,,
16 of their 100 round plastic boxes of LRN,,,
Packed in a nice Plano case for $98.00 + sales tax.

I calculated the cash savings to be about $10.63,,,
Plus I got the very nice Plano box to boot,,,
Believe it or not I bought it at Wal Mart.

After the 2008 election, ammo was non-existant for many months,,,
I've spent the last 4 years building up a bench stock for myself,,,
I have 1,000 rounds of .44 Mag, .357 Mag, and .38 Special,,,
1,000 rounds of .380 and then 2,500 rounds of 9mm.

It's not hoarding,,,
It's my bench stock amount,,,
I replace it as soon as I shoot it,,,
That way I always have ammo for the range.

Again the secret is to immediately replace what I shoot in a days outing.

I also believe that one can not own too much rimfire ammo,,,
I currently have a bench stock level of 32,000 rounds,,,
That seems like a lot of cartridges to most people,,,
But it's really only 64 good range trips for me.

Aarond

22-rimfire
November 28, 2012, 07:58 AM
Sixty-four range trips minimizes the impression of your cache. Excellent way to phrase it. That is still only 3 cases plus change.

Ky Larry
November 28, 2012, 08:52 AM
It went to the same place all the small pistol primers went.

huntsman
November 28, 2012, 11:02 AM
No .22lr? must be all them hardcore survivalists ramping up again LOL

ssyoumans
November 28, 2012, 04:45 PM
No problems are metro Atlanta. Even seen the 1600 round ammo cans at Walmart for $96. 16 boxes of 100.

Remllez
November 29, 2012, 10:20 AM
The thing about ammo is, you need to suck it up and buy in volume when you can. Look for sales and free shipping and the cost is very competitive. I shoot roughly a case a year and buying them 500 at a time is not the best way to cover my needs.

For plinking it seems all my .22's shoot and cycle just fine with CCI Blazer. I have very few ammo related problems with them. My next choice is Federal Auto Match, a little more expensive but bought on sale is still reasonable and quite accurate in most of my guns.

The rising cost of .22 ammo is just crazy, it seems it has almost doubled in the last 2-3 years, so buying smart helps keep the cost down. It took me a few years to figure out that the little extra time it takes to save for case lots pays off on the back end.

If you enjoyed reading about "Where has all the CCI 22LR ammo gone?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!