Resurface a Wash*ita stone??

PDA

rcmodel
November 26, 2012, 09:14 PM
I have a 10" x 2" Wa****a bench stone and a Buck Wa****a pocket stone that I have used so long they are getting very dished out.

I had read on the interweb you could resurface them by rubbing on a flat steel plate with course emory paper on it, so I tried that.
I & my arms won't live long enough to get-R-done that way.

Then I tried it on a 36" belt sander with a 36 grit belt.
Had to buy a new belt to replace the one I ruined after a couple minutes.

Short of a rock cutters diamond lapidary wheel, does anyone know a good way to do this?

rc

If you enjoyed reading about "Resurface a Wash*ita stone??" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
repawn
November 26, 2012, 09:27 PM
I have had some success with using a cinder block. You will need to check for straightness. I know others have used there driveway. Something like that should get you close - you can final flatten it on either glass plate with sandpaper on it or use the steel plate Emory paper method.

The real trick is to flatten often - makes it a bit easier.

rcmodel
November 26, 2012, 09:35 PM
Now you tell me!!

I'll try the driveway before it gets covered in snow before long.

Thanks!

rc

JohnM
November 27, 2012, 08:24 AM
When I used to build split bamboo fishing rods I needed plane iron with perfectly straight edges and razor sharp.
I honed them wet using various grades of carborundum and silicon carbide papers laid on a big piece of heavy plate glass.
But, that was steel, not something as hard as a Wa****a stone.
I'd think you'd need something like a diamond dust compound like used for sharpening carbide tool bits.

lobo9er
November 27, 2012, 09:06 AM
Buck Wa****a stone http://www.outdoorgb.com/pi/_at/440x420/whitby/b131.jpg

check out virtuovoice http://www.youtube.com/user/virtuovice on youtube I am pretty sure he has some videos of him re-flattening his wet stones. I like his videos shows off some nice knives and how he resharpens them and uses them in the field. The guy shoots and cuts up alot of deer.

http://www.youtube.com/user/virtuovice

hso
November 27, 2012, 01:32 PM
You can use a larger diamond coarse grit "stone", but that can be expensive.

rcmodel
November 27, 2012, 01:38 PM
Yea it would!

I'm thinking I'm gonna try to find a rock hobbiest locally with a diamond flat lapping machine. That should make quick work of it.

rc

Lucifer_Sam
November 27, 2012, 05:01 PM
A DMT 120 or 220 diamond plate is the best option, IMO. They aren't that expensive, like 50 for the 220, 70 for the 120. If the stone is really hard you'll be happy about spending the money, sitting there lapping a stone is incredibly tedious, and they shave hours off the job. Plus, the DMT plates are really handy for working on certain tools and certain jobs, they get things done really fast.

Another way that works alright is some type of backing, like marble, metal, or a glass plate, and SIC grit. I used marble and SIC to lap a hard Ark once, and a spyderco UF. Took a long time, but not as long as sandpaper would have, and it cost less. Hard whetstones burn through sandpaper.

I looked into rock lappers for doing this same job a while back, those things are pretty pricey. If memory serves they start at like 200-250+.

conw
November 27, 2012, 05:08 PM
So what is Wa****a stone good for? Just general sharpening?

SlamFire1
November 27, 2012, 05:16 PM
I have "reground" carborundum stones on concrete sidewalks. That flattened them out.

I wish I had a picture of the stone grinder I saw. I think it was at Smokey Mountain Knife works.

This guy says how he flattens hard arkansas stones:

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=7874.10;wap2

rcmodel
November 27, 2012, 05:21 PM
So what is Wa****a stone good for? Just general sharpening?Yes.

There are different grades of natural Arkansas Novaculite stone.

The Wa****a (coarse or medium) is the softest Arkansas stone, and cuts fast while leaving a very good working edge with a little "tooth". They are about perfect for sharpening woodworking tools, knives, etc.

White Arkansas (Fine) is used for a final polished edge.

Black and Translucent Arkansas (extra fine) is used for a very high polish like for a straight razor or scalpel.

Small square, flat, & triangle Arkansas stones are also used in gunsmithing for honing trigger sear surfaces, etc.

rc

hso
November 27, 2012, 09:44 PM
Folks,

This is a discussion forum about non firearms weapons and related topics. If you want to complain about the language filter the place for that is in the Technical forum.

JohnKSa
November 29, 2012, 06:06 PM
I use diamond hones to resurface/flatten my other stones, including my ceramics.

The diamond hones will last a very long time when used like this. Just remember that you don't need to apply a lot of pressure. The diamonds are brittle, and pressure will break them. Think of the action as being a cutting action rather than a grinding action and be patient.

Also, if you keep up with this on a regular basis rather than letting the stones become badly dished, it's not nearly as much of a chore. In fact, if you regularly do a quick touchup on a stone after using it, you can probably get by with using good quality sandpaper.

nmlongbow
November 29, 2012, 09:52 PM
You might try running it through a wetsaw with a diamond blade. I've refurbished several stones with my saws. If you don't have a saw, HD or Lowes will usually have a saw set up in their store that you could use for free. It only takes a few seconds.

If you enjoyed reading about "Resurface a Wash*ita stone??" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!