Ontario RD Tanto - A low price alternative to the Essee 5

PDA

the count
November 27, 2012, 10:06 AM
Just got an Ontario RD Tanto knife. I like heavy duty medium length knives (5-7 inches). Already have an Essee 5 and a Busse Tank Buster. The RD Tanto is pretty similar to these in several ways. Full tang with pommel, 1/4 inch blade, heavy powder coating, micarta scales But while the Essee and Busse are well known, the RD tanto is underreported and a true bargain at under $80 at Amazon (and a couple other vendors). You want an overbuilt, no nonsense survival knife and have a sub $100 budget? Get this one.

Correction: Blade is 0.26" (7mm) thick!

http://www.gpknives.com/images/ontario/9468BM%5Bmedium%5D.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Ontario RD Tanto - A low price alternative to the Essee 5" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
JShirley
November 27, 2012, 12:46 PM
"...except get a different blade profile."

Agree on the high value, you've just picked the second least useful blade shape Ontario offers (after the Kerambit).

John

the count
November 27, 2012, 01:02 PM
"...except get a different blade profile."

Agree on the high value, you've just picked the second least useful blade shape Ontario offers (after the Kerambit).

John
Me like Tonto...I mean Tanto :-)

hso
November 27, 2012, 01:08 PM
I agree with John, but then there are plenty of folks that like a "broken tip/American tanto" design for some inexplicable reason. ;)

the count
November 27, 2012, 01:21 PM
Just found an alternative if you really don't like tanto's. Do not have this one in hand so just going by the manufacturer's site. 5.25" blade and a whopping .26" thick. Price about the same as the RD Tanto.

http://www.ontarioknife.com/includes/content/shopping_cart/storage/265/TFI.jpg

hso
November 27, 2012, 01:25 PM
Much more usable piece.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ontario RD Tanto - A low price alternative to the Essee 5" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!