Christmas gift to foreigner

PDA

backbencher
November 27, 2012, 11:52 AM
Same state, green card holder. Any issues? We're in Texas.

If you enjoyed reading about "Christmas gift to foreigner" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MedWheeler
November 27, 2012, 12:30 PM
I had to click on this thread to see what a "furriner" is.. I assume it's not a derogatory term.

(Edit: the term used by the OP has been edited by the staff.)

There are no laws against giving a Christmas gift to a foreigner. I'm assuming you mean a firearm as a gift. One who holds an immigrant visa (a "green card") may lawfully possess a firearm, assuming not otherwise prohibited, according to Federal law. I believe the same applies in every state to the limit in which it applies to US citizens residing in that state. In some states that issue carry licenses, however, such may not be available to a "green card holder" (known as a resident alien.)

Laws on the possession of firearms by non-resident aliens who are here lawfully (visitors, exchange students/workers, and other temporary-visa holders) are more varied state to state.

Undocumented aliens ("illegal aliens") can find few, if any, conditions in which they'd be permitted to possess or purchase firearms.

In my state (Florida), a resident alien can not only purchase and possess a firearm; he or she can apply for and receive a concealed weapon/firearm license.

psyopspec
November 27, 2012, 02:19 PM
One such person was a friend in college. He was able to purchase with a green card in North Dakota, but also needed a hunting license before he could. I do not know if this was a state requirement or a federal one, but a $10 fur bearer tag satisfied that requirement.

Frank Ettin
November 27, 2012, 04:09 PM
If there is anything further to discuss here, please discuss it without [puerile] supposedly humorous comments on, or appellations for, aliens who are legally present in this country. This is The High Road. Please remember that.

bikemutt
November 27, 2012, 05:30 PM
Since a lawful permanent resident in TX can own and buy guns, and get a TX CHL, I can't imagine why there would be any problem giving a gun to one.

backbencher
November 28, 2012, 04:22 PM
My apologies, Mr Ettin.

Nico Testosteros
November 28, 2012, 07:45 PM
No problems. My Texan wife bought me a deer rifle for Christmas one year, and I'm a green card holder.

backbencher
November 28, 2012, 08:47 PM
Nico, we thank you for jumping through all the hoops to get here. You have now completed How To Deal With the IRS Self-Study Course, well in time for next April!

backbencher
December 2, 2012, 09:02 PM
Couldn't make it to the gun show today, so I stopped by Academy & got a Taurus PT 111 for $330. I was very surprised by the DA trigger pull - long & mushy, but not bad @ all. And it comes w/ a trigger lock built in - helpful w/ the small children running around the house.

If you enjoyed reading about "Christmas gift to foreigner" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!